Re: 'Tis a sad day in "Strat-land" for Strat/Joe fans!!

If Pete still was here he´d say "there´s no cowinkydink" smile

BluesMan wrote:
eva wrote:

If Pete still was here he´d say "there´s no cowinkydink" smile

Say what? I think I once "cowinkydinked". I hooked my tee shot out of bounds onto a farmer's land that bordered the Golf course and hit a milk cow right in the back of the head. All of a sudden Sven and Ole (this was in western Wisconsin around Wesby. Lots of Norweigans live there.) came running out and started yelling, "Yah hey, you cowinkydinkied Bessie in da back of da head son!" So I ran to the liquor store and bought the boys a case of Old Style and they were happy. Bessie was fine too!

Yous knows, dem dairy cows have got pretty damn hard heads, aina hey? big_smile

Roy

hahaha...

nice one.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Vince your aboslutely correct about MR Dale...His guitar was something Leo gave him back in the day.. Its been repainted many times... Like my guitar it was painted I think by a car guy... His guitar is a bit more yellow and set up different... When I got mad at fender was when I saw the back of the neck aged EXACTLY like my guitar... The color is the same, the pick guard is the same , the logo is the same.. I was willing to chalk it all up to coincidence but the aged back of the neck told me that someone took pictures of my guitar and copied it... The back story being in 2001 my manager contacted Fender about a endorsement... We were basically told in a politically correct way  that they were only interested in platinum acts and we could get a slight discount... Which frankly I and you all as well get a better deal at Guitar Center... So I took it as... Im not good enough for them, but my guitar is...
Jus the lifetime ban of "New " Fender products on my stage...  I dont hold a grudge against Leo made stuff..  I mean Im not a barbarian..or maybe I am..the jury will come to a verdict when its all said and done:-) Anyway everything happens for a reason and I wouldnt have my own JB Les Paul coming out. Which is a honor of a lifetime to me... I cant describe in words what it means to a dorky kid from Yorkville (my sister calls it Dorkville) New York.
Joe Bonamassa

Hey Joe,
did you or your management ever contact Fender about that guitar?  I'd be curious to know if they had an excuse or what their defense was for creating a guitar that was clearly based off of your beloved sparkle strat.   I remember first being impressed with that guitar on your first instructional video.

Yes Joe, I am also curious to know what, if anything, the people at Fender had to say for themselves.  Sneaky you-know-whats.

I'm an artist and know that many art shows/festivals now have limits on customers carrying cameras for this very reason.  There are many rip-offs that occur.....photographers are hired for that purpose alone......photos are sent to a foreign manufacturer, and, before you know it, crude, inexpensive copies of someone's one-of-a-kind life's work can be found in mass production on the shelves of Target.  It's a terrible trend and, in general, artists are not financially prepared to pursue legal recourse.

Sorry to stray a bit off-topic.  But, a rip-off is a rip-off, sneaky is sneaky, and WRONG is WRONG.  This was JUST WRONG.   

Hopefully, whoever made the ill-advised decision to rip YOU off, will be served up a big plate of crow when your JB LP's are flying off the shelves and Fender sales take a dip.

smile  Libby  smile

I know that Joe could play one of those kid's guitars with the plastic strings and make it sound good-
Bill S.

77 (edited by Rocket 2008-04-20 19:54:31)

(RichP)Jeez.....did I open up a can of worms with this thread or WHAT!!!
No, we love these kinds as long as they stay civil, and this one, although emotional at times, IS.  Nice topic selection with direction!

(Joe) Two reasons actually.. First was the constant comparison to SRV (something that I am truly honored by  but not a fair assessment of the way I play)
True enough!Second reason I used to spend hours and a hours trying capture this tone I had in my head. When I play the Gibson it just appears naturally.hmmm
Joe, you could use a Fender privately to give yourself "instant writer's block", which makes your mind work the
tone in a way that never perfects it, but when you "naturally" have it appear on a Gibson you'll have extra guitar practice input, and maybe some frustrations which occurred on the Strat could be glommed onto the song or direction of song(s) for overall improvement???!!!

(Joe)He was the reason I have a job right now...
No, only ONE of the reasons.  You work hard for any rewards you receive

(Joe)Jessie Davie with out SRV would not exist...
No, he just would not have any semblance of professional talent, therefore likely would not be gigging in front of anyone with his current stature on a regular basis

(Joe)I steal from everybody I admit  that
Big Deal! No one succeeds without it being on someone else's back, at someone else's expense, help, or at least without someone else's inspiration

(Cathy)There are moments when Ryan McGarvey has licks that ARE Joe Bonamassa...
Yup

(Joe)My point was that if you play a strat and your first and last name doesn't begin with Jeff and end with Beck then your are unfairly lumped in with the SRV clones...
Yup! One of Albert Cummings complaints (and he got his break with Double Trouble backing him per his fantasy wish that came true), and if he doesn't get a deviation in his formula, may almost deserve it

(Jim M) The first time I saw him play an all Les Paul show the only thought I had was who needs a Strat when you can make a Paul sound like that.
Perhaps need is not everything.  I agree he can do so much on a Les Paul, but some songs may just be better by being a "different" kind of different sound, played on a different instrument in a different way.  Blues Deluxe, same song, played same way, but sounds ESSENTIALLY the same on both, but I liked the DIFFERENCE better on that *@%##y guitar

(Andre)When I hear 1 or 2 tones and I can tell who it is then you have reached it I think
YEs, I agree.  And Joe is DEFINITELY one of a kind!

(Joe)I did 4 interviews yesterday where I had to fend off the first question.  " So SRV was your primary influence? How does it feel to be following in his footsteps?"  4 times!!!!
Joe, management & I are working on finding a stunt double for interviews that is highly trained to rolls his eyes (and only roll his eyes) as the response to dumb questions...Shouldn't affect your humble image negatively if he toes the line otherwise wink

(RichP, Topic Originator)Man...you gotta love the press.....what buttheads!! Joe....fear not....you can play a Strat everyday of the week and NOT come off like a SRV clone!!
Your style is different...period!! You give nods to the greats every so often....but that's IT!! You don't do blatant rip-offs!
I understand your beef with Fender.....granted.....I'd be pissed too! When the time is right....possibly after an apology from them.....perhaps you'll treat us Strat fans to that 'crossroads' induced magic that you create on that guitar.
Amen, although not likely soon.  I certainly approve of venting & ranting at this point, although it is really only a few chumps responsible

(Vince)...its sad that they have no interest in helping smaller guys
Again, it is really only a few chumps responsible.  But overall, that is the nature of the biz, be it product endorsement or what engineer or producer or studio or label "worked with".  It is a mutual need environment, but egos can run amuck as well as slighting or stiffing someone

(Libby)Hopefully, whoever made the ill-advised decision to rip YOU off, will be served up a big plate of crow when your JB LP's are flying off the shelves and Fender sales take a dip.
Let's hope the crow flies away and Joe has the good fortunes, period.  He deserves it. Period! I mean exclamation point. roll

Just Rock On & Faith Follows,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Yes Rocket, OF COURSE, first and foremost, we ALL wish Joe ALL GOOD FORTUNE, ALL THE TIME, period AND exclamation point!  ALL good things ARE coming his way!

I don't really wish anything bad for anyone else (including the poor crow - I happen to like crows!!), but, for those misguided individuals who were "the brains" behind the deed, and also, for those who gave it their stamp of approval, I DO hope for a clear vision of the error of their ways.  Naive, perhaps, but, one can only hope that people (EVEN corporate people) can see their faults, apologize, AND do their best to make it right.

I know that Joe could play one of those kid's guitars with the plastic strings and make it sound good-
Bill S.

79 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2008-04-20 21:36:54)

Deezer wrote:

From what I can tell, Joe really respects Kenny too. They may not share the same beliefs on blues (Kenny, while digging guys like Clapton, prefers his blues more American) but I think there is a lot of respect. I remember when Kenny's 10 Days Out came out that Joe had said he really enjoyed and thought Kenny had done a good job, or something to that extent. Joe if I'm wrong about what I thought you said, please let me know.

The first time I heard of Joe, he opened for KWS in GreenBay in June of 2004. So if it wasn't for KWS, I would've never heard of JB. I was backstage, and I cut my conversation with DT short so I could join my friends in the front row watching Joe.

And, my personal opinon, having a signature Les Paul is much more rare and sought after than a signature strat. Here are some details:

Strat:
Yngwie Malmsteen, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Mark Knopfler, John Mayer, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Rory Gallagher, Jimmy Vaughan, Buddy Guy, Eric Johnson, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix, robert cray, and on and on...

Les Paul:
(not counting Les Paul himself)
Jimi Page, Ace Frehley, Zakk Wylde, Peter Frampton, Slash (just recent), Billie Joe Armstrong (LP jr. I'd say half credit there), Joe Perry, Paul McCartney ....am I missing anybody?  Oh that's right Joe Bonamassa!

My point is strats:13 to les pauls 8 (not counting joe). So I'd take more pride to be on the short list (les pauls) instead of the bottom of a long list (strats) of endorsee's.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:
Deezer wrote:

From what I can tell, Joe really respects Kenny too. They may not share the same beliefs on blues (Kenny, while digging guys like Clapton, prefers his blues more American) but I think there is a lot of respect. I remember when Kenny's 10 Days Out came out that Joe had said he really enjoyed and thought Kenny had done a good job, or something to that extent. Joe if I'm wrong about what I thought you said, please let me know.

The first time I heard of Joe, he opened for KWS in GreenBay in June of 2004. So if it wasn't for KWS, I would've never heard of JB. I was backstage, and I cut my conversation with DT short so I could join my friends in the front row watching Joe.

And, my personal opinon, having a signature Les Paul is much more rare and sought after than a signature strat. Here are some details:

Strat:
Yngwie Malmsteen, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Mark Knopfler, John Mayer, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Rory Gallagher, Jimmy Vaughan, Buddy Guy, Eric Johnson, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix, robert cray, and on and on...

Les Paul:
(not counting Les Paul himself)
Jimi Page, Ace Frehley, Zakk Wylde, Peter Frampton, Slash (just recent), Billie Joe Armstrong (LP jr. I'd say half credit there), Joe Perry, Paul McCartney ....am I missing anybody?  Oh that's right Joe Bonamassa!

My point is strats:13 to les pauls 8 (not counting joe). So I'd take more pride to be on the short list (les pauls) instead of the bottom of a long list (strats) of endorsee's.

Well, I guess that depends. It is convenient that you generally love LP's over Strats. Something tells me, if the Les Paul had more signature guitars, you wouldn't mind that one bit.

Like me, I love my Ibanez Artcore AG Slim more than just about any other guitar other than my Strat that was built from kit parts. If I was to choose someone to come out with a signature guitar, it'd be them, because they make the guitar that I like.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

guilty. guilty as charged deezer! Was just basing opinion based on rarity and statistics. As the figure of speech goes that Mark Twain made popular "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

I mean if you look at the names of strat sig's most of them are heavyweights. And most guitar players would not balk at the chance to have a signature strat if offered. I can see how salty Joe is considering they pretty much made a JB Strat with detail, and refuse to recognize it as a Joe Bonamassa model Strat. No love.

Gibson has had salty history too though... I remember hearing back in the 60's that Les Paul was angry when the 61 SG Les Pauls had Les' name on it, and the wanted his name taken off all guitars SG & Les Pauls - here is wikipedia's info on that.

"He was impressed enough to sign a contract for what became the "Les Paul" model (originally only in a "gold top" version), and agreed never to be seen playing in public, or be photographed with, anything other than a Gibson guitar. That persisted until 1961, when Gibson changed the design without Paul's knowledge. He said he first saw the "new" Gibson Les Paul in a music store window, and disliked it. Though his contract required him to pose with the guitar, he said it was not "his" instrument, and asked Gibson to remove his name from the headstock. Gibson renamed the guitar the "SG", and it also became one of the company's best sellers."

Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Rocket....   Not to beat a dead horse, but Jessie Davy did a great job producing Aynsley Lister's 1st CD, and IMO would have been the right choice for A.L.'s last CD. I am a Hoax Fan..period..not mutable. And  I'll play my Joe card" I didnt mean to say anybody's opinion especially Cathy's was wrong at all"... Man, I love that quote!! smile))    Cathy

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

guilty. guilty as charged deezer! Was just basing opinion based on rarity and statistics. As the figure of speech goes that Mark Twain made popular "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

I mean if you look at the names of strat sig's most of them are heavyweights. And most guitar players would not balk at the chance to have a signature strat if offered. I can see how salty Joe is considering they pretty much made a JB Strat with detail, and refuse to recognize it as a Joe Bonamassa model Strat. No love.

Gibson has had salty history too though... I remember hearing back in the 60's that Les Paul was angry when the 61 SG Les Pauls had Les' name on it, and the wanted his name taken off all guitars SG & Les Pauls - here is wikipedia's info on that.

"He was impressed enough to sign a contract for what became the "Les Paul" model (originally only in a "gold top" version), and agreed never to be seen playing in public, or be photographed with, anything other than a Gibson guitar. That persisted until 1961, when Gibson changed the design without Paul's knowledge. He said he first saw the "new" Gibson Les Paul in a music store window, and disliked it. Though his contract required him to pose with the guitar, he said it was not "his" instrument, and asked Gibson to remove his name from the headstock. Gibson renamed the guitar the "SG", and it also became one of the company's best sellers."

When you get up to that stage of players that have been given Signature guitars, there just ain't getting any better than that. Clapton and Beck swear by Fender, Joe and Jimmy Page swear by Les Paul. It just don't get any better than that.

And I would like to own a Les Paul one day. But that will be there's more capital laying around. But right now I love the guitars I have. I wouldn't part with them for anything.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

I appreciate you clearing this up Joe. When I first read that interview about "...always being a Gibson guy" I was thinking WTF!??? The Jane Pauly piece pre-bloodline showed you in your bedroom with 3 Strats, 2 on your bed and you playing the 3rd. Then as you indicated, you played a Strat in Bloodline. ANDY was pretty much Strat and Tele based, as was SILT. So when I read those comments I must admit I did wondering what was going on, or if it was part of the process of Gibson doing your new guitar. It makes sense now...

85 (edited by richp 2008-04-21 08:58:50)

Seven pages!!??!! Wow!! I'm glad my curious little inquiry brought on so much passion and no less than 2(!!) responses from the MAN himself Joe B. !!! Thank you Joe for giving us the inside scoop and not leaving us to wonder !

As you can see....I'm a little bit biased in MY opinions....................

http://image2.frappr.com/pix2/i/2008040 … _large.jpg

Yes the majority are HSS formatted.......I like the ability to go from Hendrix to Zep in a set without switching axes!!

And yes.....traditionalists be damned.....it's STILL a Strat!! (but with a bit more 'juice ' under the hood!)

"One of Chuck's children out there playin' his licks"

richp wrote:

Seven pages!!??!! Wow!! I'm glad my curious little inquiry brought on so much passion and no less than 2(!!) responses from the MAN himself Joe B. !!! Thank you Joe for giving us the inside scoop and not leaving us to wonder !

Yes the majority are HSS formatted.......I like the ability to go from Hendrix to Zep in a set without switching axes!!

And yes.....traditionalists be damned.....it's STILL a Strat!! (but with a bit more 'juice ' under the hood!)

I'll take the white one wink

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:
richp wrote:

Yeah...she's special!! A 60's Reverse Special to be exact ! I got rid of the cheesy single ply pickguard, (and put a 3 ply on) as well as the horrid stock pickups. I put in 2 Dimarzio Area 58's and a 54 Pro. This is a MONSTER now!! I even got a laser enscribed Jimi neck plate on her.

"One of Chuck's children out there playin' his licks"

Joe Im selling my strat and buying a Les Paul now.  **anothercensoredword*.

89 (edited by Beerdog80 2008-04-21 22:37:26)

richp wrote:
NPB_EST.1979 wrote:
richp wrote:

Yeah...she's special!! A 60's Reverse Special to be exact ! I got rid of the cheesy single ply pickguard, (and put a 3 ply on) as well as the horrid stock pickups. I put in 2 Dimarzio Area 58's and a 54 Pro. This is a MONSTER now!! I even got a laser enscribed Jimi neck plate on her.

that is a nice collection.  I dig Strats with humbuckers.  neat sounding guitars.

Don't play leapfrog with a unicorn

So Joe, I read the thread, and now I have a question to ask.

I was standing around the other  day, with an R9 hanging around my neck, and I thought, I'll do some of those groovy volume swells like Joe, to get the violin sound you use on Blues Deluxe and the Rachmanninoff thing, BUT, large problem, volume knob is way too far from the strings.
Ususally I use a volume pedal to do that anyway, but I notice your pinky worling away pretty hard during those passaes.
How are you going to do that now if you turf the strat completely?  Another trick I have done is to put a trem on a really square wave, and attack the strings in the through of the wave, gives a groovy violin sound, but I really do that as a trick and for timing practice, an dit limilts me ot a fixed tempo and note interval. 
I guess you can set up a Giggliotti for that I suppose.

Music is in the spaces, so is life.