Re: 'Tis a sad day in "Strat-land" for Strat/Joe fans!!

Yep.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

just a question and someone please correct me if i'm wrong...but as far as the gold sparkle strat is concerned, wasn't dick dale using one like that for a long time? could that have been what fender was going after with the replica? it seems kinda strange to me that a big company like Fender would totally overlook and upset a well-known player like Joe by not giving credit where credit is due...

haha it wouldn't let me use the word "d-i-c-k" for the mr. dale's first name...

Deezer wrote:

The Strat and it's whammy bar make it very easy to do all the crazy feedback. I think that if Hendrix had played something other than a Strat, his sound would've been VERY different.

Don't agree theres a good number of recordings of him using flying v's and such and most peeps would be hard pressed to tell the difference. I was listening to a Live in france cd few nights ago and noel redding played guitar for red house and hendrix took bass, I think thats a prime example of how tone for the most part is in the fingers... I was suprised actually noel was a v.good guitarist and with jimi's set up he sounded entirely different.
Most people who play guitar will have to go down the path of copying a few things before they find there own... I know I certainly havent found my own style and voice, But i know i certainly aint trying to copy people :X

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

I am sorry I didnt meant to say anybodys opinion especially Cathy's was wrong at all... I did 4 interviews yesterday where I had to fend off the first question.  " So SRV was your primary influence? How does it feel to be following in his footsteps?"  4 times!!!!  I was like I dont think these people even listen to my albums... Anyway I will yeild to the floor, My North African/ Italian roots come out sometimes...In a passionate display of opinion :-)
Joe Bonamassa

Man...you gotta love the press.....what buttheads!! Joe....fear not....you can play a Strat everyday of the week and NOT come off like a SRV clone!!
Your style is different...period!! You give nods to the greats every so often....but that's IT!! You don't do blatent rip-offs!
I understand your beef with Fender.....granted.....I'd be pissed too! When the time is right....possibly after an apology from them.....perhaps you'll treat us Strat fans to that 'crossroads' induced magic that you create on that guitar.

Jeez.....did I open up a can of worms with this thread or WHAT!!!

"One of Chuck's children out there playin' his licks"

JohnTB wrote:
Deezer wrote:

The Strat and it's whammy bar make it very easy to do all the crazy feedback. I think that if Hendrix had played something other than a Strat, his sound would've been VERY different.

Don't agree theres a good number of recordings of him using flying v's and such and most peeps would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

I've seen Hendrix using Flying V's
http://www.wtv-zone.com/ruexperienced/g … ntedV2.jpg

and even a black LesPaul Custom
http://inat.org/Images/Les.jpeg

-although I do agree the majority was probably strats.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

61 (edited by Deezer 2008-04-20 10:54:00)

JohnTB wrote:
Deezer wrote:

Don't agree theres a good number of recordings of him using flying v's and such and most peeps would be hard pressed to tell the difference. I was listening to a Live in france cd few nights ago and noel redding played guitar for red house and hendrix took bass, I think thats a prime example of how tone for the most part is in the fingers... I was suprised actually noel was a v.good guitarist and with jimi's set up he sounded entirely different.
Most people who play guitar will have to go down the path of copying a few things before they find there own... I know I certainly havent found my own style and voice, But i know i certainly aint trying to copy people :X

Yes, but when he's going crazy creating feedback, he's using a Strat.

Some songs are just meant to be played on a Strat. That trem system that the Strats have lend itself to that type of playing. This is why Jeff Beck plays a Strat, because he has to have the use of a whammy bar.

And I was referring to his overall sound, not his sound on a couple of songs. And it can inform your playing and shape your playing. I've heard Clapton himself say that you have to play a Strat differently.

Joe! I'm with you! I basically started playing blues because of SRV, and I bought a strat and set it up with big strings and had huge frets pounded into it... tubescreamer, Fender amp, the whole bit. I had a breaking point about two years after I started playing, because I started listening to a bunch of other guys as well and I started messing around with other guitars, techniques, etc. Now, even when I play that old strat, I don't sound like an SRV copy... but I still make a Les Paul and an Epiphone hollowbody my main guitars.

I certainly don't think I'm anything special, but if I were able to develop my own character as a player and get past being a clone, then pros Jessie Davie (I'll lump Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Indigenous in that group, too) should be able to as well.

Maybe Joe's comments were a bit strong in the magazine article, but he's got the right to do whatever it takes to get his own sound, and he has the right to stand on principle, as well. Don't apologize for speaking the truth. Keep doing what you're doing, Joe!

...and that's why I prefer my Nik Huber Dolphin.....I get 'my' sound outta that. Still love my Strats but they don't get gigged too often.

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

it seems to me like everyone is getting down on people who have gone down that road of playing in the SRV style...

i think it's good to appreciate their talents regardless...i mean, i'm sure there are alot of people out there who would kill to play as well as some of these guys (i.e. Jess Davey, Mato Nanji, KWS) so they sound alot like Stevie...no big deal...there's definitely worse people in the world to try to emulate...

joemisek wrote:

Joe! I'm with you! I basically started playing blues because of SRV, and I bought a strat and set it up with big strings and had huge frets pounded into it... tubescreamer, Fender amp, the whole bit. I had a breaking point about two years after I started playing, because I started listening to a bunch of other guys as well and I started messing around with other guitars, techniques, etc. Now, even when I play that old strat, I don't sound like an SRV copy... but I still make a Les Paul and an Epiphone hollowbody my main guitars.

I certainly don't think I'm anything special, but if I were able to develop my own character as a player and get past being a clone, then pros Jessie Davie (I'll lump Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Indigenous in that group, too) should be able to as well.

Maybe Joe's comments were a bit strong in the magazine article, but he's got the right to do whatever it takes to get his own sound, and he has the right to stand on principle, as well. Don't apologize for speaking the truth. Keep doing what you're doing, Joe!

Again, how is Kenny Wayne Shepherd a clone? If he's a clone, then Stevie was a clone of Jimi Hendrix.

Deezer wrote:

Again, how is Kenny Wayne Shepherd a clone? If he's a clone, then Stevie was a clone of Jimi Hendrix.

or Albert King...

i agree with you here...

Again, when Kenny starts wearing the black hat, with the kimono, and puts his initials on the pickguard, then I'll call him a clone.

I'll ask this question: how many SRV clones have been told by Hubert Sumlin that "I've been waiting for a player like you?" To me, coming from someone as legendary as Hubert, that means an awful lot.

Deezer wrote:

Again, when Kenny starts wearing the black hat, with the kimono, and puts his initials on the pickguard, then I'll call him a clone.

I'll ask this question: how many SRV clones have been told by Hubert Sumlin that "I've been waiting for a player like you?" To me, coming from someone as legendary as Hubert, that means an awful lot.

amen...

BB (who will forever be my favorite guitarist) also always sang his praises...these guys must see something unique in him to give him their endorsement...

From what I can tell, Joe really respects Kenny too. They may not share the same beliefs on blues (Kenny, while digging guys like Clapton, prefers his blues more American) but I think there is a lot of respect. I remember when Kenny's 10 Days Out came out that Joe had said he really enjoyed and thought Kenny had done a good job, or something to that extent. Joe if I'm wrong about what I thought you said, please let me know.

Vince your aboslutely correct about MR Dale...His guitar was something Leo gave him back in the day.. Its been repainted many times... Like my guitar it was painted I think by a car guy... His guitar is a bit more yellow and set up different... When I got mad at fender was when I saw the back of the neck aged EXACTLY like my guitar... The color is the same, the pick guard is the same , the logo is the same.. I was willing to chalk it all up to coincidence but the aged back of the neck told me that someone took pictures of my guitar and copied it... The back story being in 2001 my manager contacted Fender about a endorsement... We were basically told in a politically correct way  that they were only interested in platinum acts and we could get a slight discount... Which frankly I and you all as well get a better deal at Guitar Center... So I took it as... Im not good enough for them, but my guitar is...
Jus the lifetime ban of "New " Fender products on my stage...  I dont hold a grudge against Leo made stuff..  I mean Im not a barbarian..or maybe I am..the jury will come to a verdict when its all said and done:-) Anyway everything happens for a reason and I wouldnt have my own JB Les Paul coming out. Which is a honor of a lifetime to me... I cant describe in words what it means to a dorky kid from Yorkville (my sister calls it Dorkville) New York.
Joe Bonamassa

yes the"strat" sound will be missed....: (

p/s the gold top's knobs does not matter to me
what matters is if the guitar has a "soul" or not.
You can play 100 identical guitars and each one
will be different,hopefully Gibs** custom will pull
this off and reproduce an accurate clone and not
just another "Gold top" reissue.....!

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Vince your aboslutely correct about MR Dale...His guitar was something Leo gave him back in the day.. Its been repainted many times... Like my guitar it was painted I think by a car guy... His guitar is a bit more yellow and set up different... When I got mad at fender was when I saw the back of the neck aged EXACTLY like my guitar... The color is the same, the pick guard is the same , the logo is the same.. I was willing to chalk it all up to coincidence but the aged back of the neck told me that someone took pictures of my guitar and copied it... The back story being in 2001 my manager contacted Fender about a endorsement... We were basically told in a politically correct way  that they were only interested in platinum acts and we could get a slight discount... Which frankly I and you all as well get a better deal at Guitar Center... So I took it as... Im not good enough for them, but my guitar is...
Jus the lifetime ban of "New " Fender products on my stage...  I dont hold a grudge against Leo made stuff..  I mean Im not a barbarian..or maybe I am..the jury will come to a verdict when its all said and done:-) Anyway everything happens for a reason and I wouldnt have my own JB Les Paul coming out. Which is a honor of a lifetime to me... I cant describe in words what it means to a dorky kid from Yorkville (my sister calls it Dorkville) New York.
Joe Bonamassa

wow...thats a terrible thing to do. You know, I got the same response when my management contacted them about a very small endorsement when I went on the road with mr. Allman last year...its sad that they have no interest in helping smaller guys (such as myself) or even someone as established as you! I love Fender and will continue to play their stuff, but I guess thats policy for huge corporate companies sad