Re: 'Tis a sad day in "Strat-land" for Strat/Joe fans!!

I'll second that and ask when did reminding someone of the way Stevie sounded become undesirable? I think Jessie Davy from the Hoax is a class A player. He dresses like SRV and physically resembles him in the way he moves. Genius, in my opinion, not an aper. I'm sure Stevie himself was influenced by other Texas guitar players he heard when he was young. I love Chris Duarte too. The way he plays in a fully committed body/soul style. He really gives it all.....OK now I'm calmer...None of this was written to contradict Joe. I'm certain it was trying when he wanted his own identity. It's also the most common negative thing said about new Blues/Rockers..easiest wasy to dismiss them is to call them a SRV wannabe. Cathy

Deezer wrote:

A ripoff is someone like this guy, copying the hat and everything down to the kimono:

http://www.raveon.ca/looks/photos/Renny … ssmans.jpg

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit....fighting back the inevitable projectile vomit.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I think alot of players get turned off by the Fender/SRV connection.  Hell, even KWS on 'The Place Your In' record changed out his strats for Pauls since he was sick of that comparison. 

But yeah, I would be PISSED if someone took anything I designed and didn't give me credit for it.   

I only own one Fender, and thats a late 72 Tele that I got for $200!

Don't play leapfrog with a unicorn

Deezer wrote:

Please, let's not turn this into a bash KWS-Chris Duarte-Henry Garza thing. I love those players, and as far as I'm concerned, they've taken the SRV tone and done their own thing with it. They are NOT SRV ripoffs. Influenced? You bet. But not ripoffs. A ripoff is someone like this guy, copying the hat and everything down to the kimono:

http://www.raveon.ca/looks/photos/Renny … ssmans.jpg

damn...what the hell is that guy thinking?  Playing his licks is one thing, but thats just far too much!

And yeah...anyone that thinks KWS is just a clone needs to pony up and see him live.  I just saw him in Vegas and was floored by how good HE was.

Beerdog80 wrote:

I think alot of players get turned off by the Fender/SRV connection.  Hell, even KWS on 'The Place Your In' record changed out his strats for Pauls since he was sick of that comparison. 

But yeah, I would be PISSED if someone took anything I designed and didn't give me credit for it.   

What the interesting thing was that I saw him a little bit less than a year after that album was released, and he played Alive and The Place You're In from that record, and the rest of it was old material. On his Strats.

And it should be noted that Kenny is getting his own signature Strat. You can see it in this video. Pretty stylish I think. One thing about Joe and KWS, they know how to make a guitar look deluxe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys5yZhEbZMQ

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

Of Course I didnt mean to detract from SRV.  He was the reason I have a job right now..  My point was that if you play a strat and your first and last name doesn't begin with Jeff and end with Beck then your are unfairly lumped in with the SRV clones..  All due respect.. Jessie Davie with out SRV would not exist.. Its a per lick reproduction of SRV.  Thats not what I want to be when I grow up.. I m sorry.. Jessie and all the rest are great players "Walking in somebody's Shadow" no pun intended.  I steal from everybody I admit  that but those guys take it to a extreme.. Same wear on the guitar.. Same three intials on the guitar strap, same fender amp with a tubescreamer.   Johnny Winter is a Texas original, Billy Gibbons, SRV , Freddy King , Eric Johnson, Jimmy Vaughn, Omar and the Hollers , Mason Rufner, David Grissom. Monte Motgomery.    Jessie Davie should listen to his countryman and take a few cues from them honestly.  Paul Kossoff never hurt anybody.  Im not Picking on Jessie ... He is just the face of this discussion.. There are others....  many of them..
Joe Bonamassa

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Thats not what I want to be when I grow up...

Joe that's priceless! cool

Vicky

"Stellar" a word used by Joe Bonamassa (also apt as a description of the man himself cool)

I don´t know how the situation on your side of the pond is - but here in Germany Bluesrock doesn´t have the best "reputation".
I mean the Blues magazines often act like "ah yeah, Bluesrock - isn´t that these SVR clones who only compete with each other on who can play the lick faster?! That´s not the real deal." - I often hear the prejudice that there´s no feeling or no authenticity behind it. I even heard people say that about Joe - I just have to ask myself if these people really have ears to hear or if they´re just so narrow-minded that they don´t even try to listen....

Well, the point is that there ARE in fact a lot of players who haven´t found their "own voice" yet and there´s only few who really develop a completely own style (like the ones already mentioned, Jeff, Stevie and Eric and we all know who else.... wink) - and that seems to detract a lot of people from listeing to Bluesrock I think.
And Stratocasters are mainly the standard instrument, so it´s pretty hard to find your own voice if there were so many "original" players before you. Just my two cents smile.

Eva

The first time I heard Joe was the ANDY tour. The same set as on the video. When he broke out the strat I never thought of SRV I thought his tone more Eric Johnson. Never once did I think him a wannabe. But to some that thought any young white dude playing a strat was a wannabe then the first impression would be SRV.

The first tim I saw him play an all Les Paul show the only thought I had was who needs a Strat when you can make a Paul sound like that.

I do miss a couple of songs that may not be played again like P&S and AYE. Joe's young he might surprise us someday and pull one out for old times sake. Hope I live to see it.

Deezer wrote:
Beerdog80 wrote:

What the interesting thing was that I saw him a little bit less than a year after that album was released, and he played Alive and The Place You're In from that record, and the rest of it was old material. On his Strats.

And it should be noted that Kenny is getting his own signature Strat. You can see it in this video. Pretty stylish I think. One thing about Joe and KWS, they know how to make a guitar look deluxe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys5yZhEbZMQ

I just caught him in Vegas in March and he played Pauls on several songs from what I can remember.  I thought it gave him a much better sound on his rig...but thats just me. 
   First time I caught Joe was by sheer accident in Colorado sometime in August of 04 . I was walking around with a buddy after being in town for a conference and as we were walkin, we heard this burnin guitar playing at this place called Moe's (like the simpsons) so we ducked in and got blown away by JB.  Went out and got all his records next day and been a fan ever since.

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Of Course I didnt mean to detract from SRV.  He was the reason I have a job right now..  My point was that if you play a strat and your first and last name doesn't begin with Jeff and end with Beck then your are unfairly lumped in with the SRV clones..  All due respect.. Jessie Davie with out SRV would not exist.. Its a per lick reproduction of SRV.  Thats not what I want to be when I grow up.. I m sorry.. Jessie and all the rest are great players "Walking in somebody's Shadow" no pun intended.  I steal from everybody I admit  that but those guys take it to a extreme.. Same wear on the guitar.. Same three intials on the guitar strap, same fender amp with a tubescreamer.   Johnny Winter is a Texas original, Billy Gibbons, SRV , Freddy King , Eric Johnson, Jimmy Vaughn, Omar and the Hollers , Mason Rufner, David Grissom. Monte Motgomery.    Jessie Davie should listen to his countryman and take a few cues from them honestly.  Paul Kossoff never hurt anybody.  Im not Picking on Jessie ... He is just the face of this discussion.. There are others....  many of them..
Joe Bonamassa

OUCH! B-slapped by the Boss! But, I stand my ground in regards to Jessie (Whose name I always misspell)...There are moments when Ryan Mcgarvey has licks that ARE Joe Bonamassa..May be 1 reason I like him so much. At least Jessie never hid his SRV devotion. Stevie had a sound and style I hope never goes away. But, you know I love my JB the best! Long Live King Joe.   (She bows out of the room)     Cathy

Joe you are right on everything you wrote!
There are thousands of very fast and stealing from everyone guitarplayers. players.

It's normal that musicians, like "normal"people are influenced by others.
I call that learning, kids do, animals do WE ALL DO! We copy all the time.

To find your own style is very hard and mostly a long way, but some can and do. It's your credit to work on that Joe and it's the only way.

From those thousands of guitarplayers there are not so many with their own sound and style.

When I hear 1 or 2 tones and I can tell who it is then you have reached it I think.

Zappa, Santana, SRV, Hendrix, Akkerman, BB king, Clapton, Schenker , JJ. Cale ,you Joe ,are some.

Like BB KIng once said and I said this before on the forum:

It's not the speed: It's the right tone at the right time!!!!!!!!!! That's it for me too.

AND JOE'S TONE, SOUND IS UNIQUE, NEVER HEARD THAT BEFORE!!!

THAT'S WHY HE IS SO SPECIAL AS A GUITARIST ( and he can sing too)!!

Andre Wittebroek

I am sorry I didnt meant to say anybodys opinion especially Cathy's was wrong at all... I did 4 interviews yesterday where I had to fend off the first question.  " So SRV was your primary influence? How does it feel to be following in his footsteps?"  4 times!!!!  I was like I dont think these people even listen to my albums... Anyway I will yeild to the floor, My North African/ Italian roots come out sometimes...In a passionate display of opinion :-)
Joe Bonamassa

Hey Joe

Don't stop being passionate

That's what we all love about you

(Maybe that didn't come out right wink but you know what I mean)

Vicky

"Stellar" a word used by Joe Bonamassa (also apt as a description of the man himself cool)

Joe, you are just doing what you gotta do with your career. No harm in that. And because of that, very few people (except the people who have no idea what they're talking about) think that you sound like Stevie. But there are certain licks that have that edge, but that's no problem. It's all good there. But looking at Chris Duarte and Kenny Wayne Shepherd, though I'll defend to the grave that they're not Stevie Ray Vaughanabe's, I think it's hurt their careers to have that association. Only Kenny when he put out 10 Days Out I think finally got out from under that shadow. After that, I don't hear it as much anymore. That and having an endorsement from Hubert Sumlin doesn't hurt. smile

Man, all this talk about great players makes me wanna go play.

The Strat and it's whammy bar make it very easy to do all the crazy feedback. I think that if Hendrix had played something other than a Strat, his sound would've been VERY different. Of course if Joe were to get that reproduction of Page's Black Beauty guitar, that might be solved. But he's got his own Signature to worry about I guess. smile

It could be done on a Paul, but that's part of what makes a Strat a Strat, is that it has that whammy bar that gives you a lot of options when you want to work with feedback. Like, in Stevie's case, using it to bash your guitar all about. big_smile

Jane, I wouldn't give up hope that P&S will never be played again. You just never with Joe. It might be in a reworked version, but it'll be back.

I guess if you're going to go - go all out.

LES PAULS BABY!

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool