Re: Advice on a New Amp

So Geoff, ever seen or tried one of these??? I thought it was a sweet little number, way way better than the higher wattage Blue Models from Traynor, Class A stuff I suppose....

mikeb wrote:

Geoff, ever had the chance to try a cool little Canadian number that was a quite limited edition the Traynor YCV 15 Blue??? I am a biased Canuck of course, but that little puppy was unbeatable for the money........

You Can Do Anything You Want To Do

Sorry Mike. Must have missed your earlier posting. No, never tried one. Class A 15 watts?

mikeb wrote:

So Geoff, ever seen or tried one of these??? I thought it was a sweet little number, way way better than the higher wattage Blue Models from Traynor, Class A stuff I suppose....

mikeb wrote:

Geoff, ever had the chance to try a cool little Canadian number that was a quite limited edition the Traynor YCV 15 Blue??? I am a biased Canuck of course, but that little puppy was unbeatable for the money........

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

Yes Geoff, 15 watt class A damn I wish I had bought one... Traynor only made a very few of that particular model. Later I bought one of their little wine red (Ox-Blood) jobs not the same at all......

You Can Do Anything You Want To Do

I always liked the sound or a Fender Deluxe reverb reissue, they got for round £500 on ebay...

Also if your still playing in your room is sound an issue?

23 (edited by gsj 2008-02-27 16:29:06)

I'll let you know if I hear that one's available.

mikeb wrote:

Yes Geoff, 15 watt class A damn I wish I had bought one... Traynor only made a very few of that particular model. Later I bought one of their little wine red (Ox-Blood) jobs not the same at all......

Ok...  This is too much fun to stay out of.
500 pounds or about $1000 usd

Amps I like for that much new/used

Marshall DSL 50 1X12 combo
Fender hot rod deville 2X12 combo
used Vox AC 30 reissue
used circa 94 Peavey Classic 30 or 50 and while you are at it try to find a Val-Verb
vintage Lab Series L-5 or L-7 solid state but BB King and Ty Tabor love em.. so do I
used Mesa Boogie Lonestar 2X12  maybe a bit more than a grand but a good amp
used Marshall 30th anniversary 1X12 combo again maybe a bit more again
vintage silver face Bassman or bandmaster
vintage marshall JCM 800 combo
vintage Garnett 30  (by Gar Gilies of Winepeg CA)

Amps to beware of... Im not saying dont buy them but give them a good listen

DR Z...I know I know people love them.. I have never played one that did it for me, again if you own one and like it .. thats great.
Fender Blues Deville series... The original ones were very very very bright... did I say they were bright?
Anything that says Crate and voodoo on it
Anything that says Johnson or Cyber on it
Anything that says KRANK on it.. They are used in a lot in Heavy Metal,  but sound like vacuum cleaners to me.

anyway thats my 2 cents...
Thanks
Joe Bonamassa

LOL

I can't stand Crate amps. I remember when the Blue Voodoos or whatever came out...some of them sounded decent - but the Crate brand never said "quality" to me.  I'm sure people somewhere love them. But I don't think I'll ever own one...

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Thanks for joining the debate Joe. Yep, I love my Z but I can see it won't be to everyones taste. I've not seen a DSL50 1x12 combo....we have a 40watt in the UK....is it  a USA export only amp?

Geoff

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

LOL

I can't stand Crate amps. I remember when the Blue Voodoos or whatever came out...some of them sounded decent - but the Crate brand never said "quality" to me.  I'm sure people somewhere love them. But I don't think I'll ever own one...

Ha!  Yeah my friend has a Blue Voodoo (what a cool name for such a ho-hum amp) and likes it.  I personally don't think was worth it, really.  I hear there is a pretty cool mod out there for them though...

I *think* Billy Gibbons uses Crate amps and he makes them sound good.  But then again, Billy Gibbons can probably make anything sound good.  He's just got that mojo....

Well, the night I was born
Lord I swear the moon turned a fire red

28 (edited by Nightfly 2008-02-28 09:57:08)

I have 2 setups I use depending on the size of the venue: For smaller places I use my Limited addition Fender Hot Rod Deluxe(40W 1x12) with a Mesa Boogie V-Twin(pre amp), these you could probably get for about £700 (between 400/500 for the and 200/300 for the v-twin) this rig utterly screams and I love it. I hear you can get awesome(distorted) tone from the Hot Rod Deluxe but you need a power soak to really drive it. I really didn't like the overdrive tone of the Deluxe enough but the v-twin makes the difference.

I also have a Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb(50W 1x12 ) which you could probably pick up second hand for about £1000. This just rocks, the other guitarist in my band had a lonestar(very nice) but tone wise .. my rect-o-verb left it for dead, its the most un-mesa sounding rectifier amp I've heard and totally rocks. Its hard to explain what I mean about un-mesa sounding other than to say I get a wonderfully warm 'classic Rock' tone out of it... other mesa amps sound great but come across a little harsh for me.

Thanks a lot for all the replies guys, especially Joe for taking time out of your busy schedule. All this info has definately given me a good idea what to look out for. I didn't know they made a JCM 800 combo, that could b interresting, I like the saimplicity to them. Hopefully I'l get a chance to have a play through a good few of them and find if one sticks out more than the others.

Thanks again,
Matt