Topic: voice lessons

hey yall,
im gonna start taking voice lessons soon to find my "blues" voice.
I've been trying to sing on my own a little bit and I guess I sound good, but when I try to sing and play guitar at the same time, it screws me all up and I start playing the chords faster and it just messes me up. For all those singers out there, is that normal? Will I get used to it if I practice it all the time? I really hope so.
Well I was just asking yall's advice...
thanks!

peace,
sarah

"The World misses his music, but I miss my brother."
-Jimmie Vaughan

Re: voice lessons

Well, I'm not really a singer, but I love singing to the guitar and I'm sure you will get used to it! It's just a matter of practise.

Peace and Love!

3 (edited by larryt 2006-07-20 09:23:37)

Sarah, it is SO normal to have those issues at first. Practice will definitely make the difference. I have been playing and singing for years and when I hear tapes from 20 years ago I, at first, cringe at how I used to rush everything, then I feel better knowing that time and practice has taken care of the problem (for the most part).

One thing I might suggest is playing and singing to either pre-recorded backing tracks (either store-bought or homemade) or use some kind of click track: metronome, sequencer, etc. That will really discipline your playing and singing because it will become immediately obvious when you begin to rush things. I play along with a couple of CDs called "Band In the Pocket" that were recorded by a very professional rhythm section. (you can order them at this link http://www.fivefeathers.com/bandpocket.html ) Playing to these tracks is, in some respects, better than playing with a band because they won't flex with my tempo fluctuations. Plus, it's a lot of fun!

I hope this is helpful, and best wishes as you begin to expressive yourself through your new voice.

Blessings,
Larry

"...play skillfully and shout for joy." Psalm 33:3b (honest, it really says that)

Hey,
thanks so much!
I'll definately try all of that stuff!
thanks for the link.

peace,
sarah

-Jimmie Vaughan

I can't even whistle, Sarah, so I have no words of advice!  However, I would think that singing--like every other craft--is something that is continuously improved over time with education and practice.  It's interesting to compare/contrast early recordings of an artist, particularly a prolific one, to later ones and hear how their voices have developed during the course of their career.  Buddy Guy is one example; in his early recording of "Let Me Love You, Baby" (laid down in the 60s, released in the 70s on his I Was Walking Through the Woods LP, I think), his vocals are tentative and almost a little shaky.  In his version of that same song from Damn Right, I've Got the Blues ('91, I think), he sings it skillfully and forcefully.  In addition to that, the guitar work in the latter version sounds like technology caught up with him by then.  I'm sure you've also noticed how Joe's voice has grown, so-to-speak, from ANDY to You & Me, too. 

BB King has maintained over the years that he can't sing & play at the same time, but I don't think any of his fans mind, and it certainly didn't put a damper on his development as an artist.  I'm sure that you, too, will overcome any bumps in the road as your playing and singing merge.

"The Blues is like a tonic for all that ails you."  BB King

Rock ON & Keep the Faith!

Sarah, best of luck!  I think we know you will do well.

WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE~~~JIMI HENDRIX

thanks Melissa!
good advice.
I hope my voice will develop one day!

peace,
sarah

-Jimmie Vaughan