Topic: Newbie to Las Vegas 2/2

Hi All,
New to the forum and headed cross-country for Boulder Station in Las Vegas Feb 2.  I've been listening to 'You and Me' CD for a year, just picked up Sloe Gin and 'Had to Cry Today' last week.  Would love to hear "Asking Around" from the stage just like on JBTV right now, and I enjoy nearly every track on Sloe Gin.  What should I expect?

My expectations may be way to high.  I heard Stevie Ray Vaughn once in Los Angeles (at the Greek Theater if you know it) and I'll never forget that experience.  I think Joe can deliver similar "awe" so I want to know.

How do I prepare for this?  Should I listen to some old stuff?  I'm not an expert on any music, I just like what I like - mostly rock from the 1970s, Motown, Blues, especially single artists that have to lay it all on the line personally.  Joe gives me a lot of what I enjoy.
  -Doug in NC

Re: Newbie to Las Vegas 2/2

AHHHH!  I remember my first time...mere months ago, and now I'm traveling from MD to NV for another experience.  Just sit back and be amazed.

My advice, take a change of clothes, you are about to be Bonabaptised son!

Welcome to the clan.

Hallo Doug and Annnaan, very welcome to the best forum in the world and I mean it!!

I saw Joe the first time live in 2004 , have seen him 11 times so far and next March another 3 times.
That must convince you that it is really special. I'm an 'old ''man 54 years and I saw many many bands in my life. Joe is in my top three together with Frank Zappa and Jeff Beck, very good company isn't it.

My advicé: Don't do anything special; Go, enjoy and let you blow away like he did with me the first time and after and after.........

Andre Wittebroek.

Before you go...

Read this http://bigjeffjones.wordpress.com/2007/ … ick-bogie/

then read this http://bigjeffjones.wordpress.com/2007/ … -the-eyes/

Welcome!
BigJeffJones

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

Doug,

I remember my first time seeing Joe perform.  I was on  vacation in Newport, R.I. back in July, 2006.  This Joe Bonamassa guy was playing at the Newport Blues Cafe' so why not? We had nothing better to do. I had never heard of him or his music  and couldn't remember his name to save my life, but Oh My Lord!   I could not believe what I was hearing.  Anyway, I now have all his cd's, DVD's and some live show recordings AND I Just bought tickets to see my sixth show in Jacksonville.  You're gonna be hooked just like the rest of us.  Welcome to Joe World.

Susan cool

"Listen to the melody cause my love is in there hiding"

Dear Doug,

YOU are in for a treat.  There's no preparation necessary.  Don't even listen to us rave about Joe & Carmine & Bogie and Rick.  When I have invited someone new to a concert, I've tried not to blather on too much about what to expect.  Just let the experience roll over you.  You will be searching out every Joe recording/Youtube/Googlevideo and forum conversation after Feb. 2nd.  Just be prepared to ... enjoy. 

I'll be there, too, if you see a two great-looking somewhat mature women named Ann(e) high fiving each other, smiling at everyone and laughing like idiots, just ignore us!   Remember those historic clips of girls going through Beatlemania?  Can't explain what it is, but something about Joe triggers it in somewhat otherwise perfectly normal people today.

~ Anne, and Ann, and poor Lee, dragged along for the ride but he also loves Joe, he got us started on this addiction!

Thanks to all who replied to my newbie note.  The concert is a mere 18 hours away now, and your posts made me feel just right - anticipating but not too hyped, so I can relax and have a good time.

Just before leaving home in NC we found we have a friend-of-the-family connection to Bogie on the drums, so we might get to meet him (one of those 'small world' things you don't know until someone says something and there's a connection).

After the concert I won't get to post my thoughts from the site, but plan to do so from back home.  I'll have my eye out for a couple of you here in LV, and if you see a guy in a hockey jersey from NC, that's me - "Cup Champs 06" for my NHL Hurricanes.

Thanks to Annnaan, Roy, Ragamuffin, JHawk, Andre, BigJeffJones (nice web pages!), Susan, Addysea, and anyone else I forgot.  Y'all have a great group on this site.
  -DougInNC

9 (edited by Rocket 2008-02-03 18:29:23)

Hey Doug hope all was well in the concert venue and wherever you plucked your wages in town (Giants by 8, the fix sez-bet big).  Please DO remember to add your comments when you are home,  we need to hear as much as you want to say them.

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

DouginNC wrote:

Thanks to all who replied to my newbie note.  The concert is a mere 18 hours away now, and your posts made me feel just right - anticipating but not too hyped, so I can relax and have a good time.

Just before leaving home in NC we found we have a friend-of-the-family connection to Bogie on the drums, so we might get to meet him (one of those 'small world' things you don't know until someone says something and there's a connection).

After the concert I won't get to post my thoughts from the site, but plan to do so from back home.  I'll have my eye out for a couple of you here in LV, and if you see a guy in a hockey jersey from NC, that's me - "Cup Champs 06" for my NHL Hurricanes.

Thanks to Annnaan, Roy, Ragamuffin, JHawk, Andre, BigJeffJones (nice web pages!), Susan, Addysea, and anyone else I forgot.  Y'all have a great group on this site.
  -DougInNC

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

10 (edited by Rocket 2008-02-06 22:14:50)

Hey I the fix was faxed to me and the fax facts were blurred... It was supposed to say Giants by 3!!!  The blurr became "Giants by 8".  Bookie needs to fix his fax!  I hope I didn't cost anyone.  Note  time of the original post reply by me-LAST MINUTE before kickoff.  Never run a hurry up offense when you don't need to...

Rocket wrote:

Hey Doug hope all was well in the concert venue and wherever you plucked your wages in town (Giants by 8, the fix sez-bet big).  Please DO remember to add your comments when you are home,  we need to hear as much as you want to say them.

Rock On & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

DouginNC wrote:

-DougInNC

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Finally, my comments on seeing Joe and the band in Las Vegas after two weeks back home in NC:  It was grand! 

So much music, so many guitars, such varied sound.  I never knew one instrument could be so versatile, but Joe made the guitar(s) dance.  Carmine on the bass is a great complement as he and Bogie provided the strong rhythms throughout.  Rick's keyboard, was featured quite a few times, so you know Joe loves his talent.

Favorite moments were hearing the song "Asking Around For You," and then the set where Joe dismissed the band, said "let's have some fun," then proceeded to put unbelieveable effort into a 10-plus-minute solo performance that was the show-within-the-show.

No track touches me like "Asking Around..." so I needed that one in the set and Joe delivered.  I leaned way forward, closed my eyes, and got lost in the music.  But why did Joe go from the lyrics "black Coke" to "black coffee"?  I guess that will be my mystery moment from the evening.

Best idea of how Joe feels about his fans: He apologized that everyone had to pay!  He performs in that same room on some Thursday free-blues nights, and he was "sorry" that this was a Saturday concert that had a tab.  Never heard any performer say that, but this guy knows his fans and loves to play for them.

Saw the show, bought another CD, should have bought the DVD.  Kudos to the Railhead location in Boulder Station for a great event, and for the terrific fans we met that night, all sounding like Joe Groupies but only some willing to use the term.  One last thanks to all those who post on this board and helped get us ready for OUR Bonabaptism.

-Doug (and wife) in NC