73 (edited by dknight16 2008-01-19 11:19:03)

Re: "Live From Nowhere in Particular"

I very much appreciate all of the responses from my earlier post.  Great sharing and dialog is what I have come to expect from this forum.  But perhaps owning and listening to so many bootlegs (2500+) has made my values different from the norm.  If the mastering process makes the transitions from song to song absolutely seamless (crowd volume, room acoustics, performance style and tone, etc.), then I will embrace it whole heartedly.  Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous is a perfect example of how great a heavily altered live compliation can be.  But that one is not necessarily the norm.  I have far too many commercially released live albums that have fades between songs and are clearly from different shows, and in some cases, different tours!  As good as Live And Dangerous is (my favorite commercial live album), it is not my favorite live Lizzy disc.  That one would be a "B" quality bootleg from the Paradise Theater in Boston recorded on 09/06/78.  It is one of the most honest shows I've ever heard.  Phil desperately wants to win over American fans, the setlist is amazing, and Gary Moore plays one of the most smoking and brilliant performances of his career (and I've heard hundreds of them).

Thanks again to Joe for creating this thread, and the members here for sharing their thoughts and ideas.  I'm really looking forward to this release.  I'm simply addicted to live music, and Joe creates some of the best I have ever listened to.  Peace!

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

2500+ you need to catch up . i have about 10,000 +  . i'm in the same boat you are also . i have been spoiled with all the live music i have also . my first album i got was a live bootleg of the grateful dead and from then on i really haven't bought anything unless its been a live show . i have collected as i said over 10,000 live concerts alot that i have taped myself or my taping buddies from all over the world have taped . i do buy studio stuff here and there but really don't listen to it . i have all joes cd's and i maybe listened to them once and i think a few of them i havent even opened up there just sitting with the rest of the cds i havent listened to or opened up .. so for me it's got to be live or nothing . for some reason i like to hear crowd reaction to the music which you don't get with the studio stuff . well that my 3 cents .....joe

dknight16 wrote:

I very much appreciate all of the responses from my earlier post.  Great sharing and dialog is what I have come to expect from this forum.  But perhaps owning and listening to so many bootlegs (2500+) has made my values different from the norm.  If the mastering process makes the transitions from song to song absolutely seamless (crowd volume, room acoustics, performance style and tone, etc.), then I will embrace it whole heartedly.  Thin Lizzy's Live and Dangerous is a perfect example of how great a heavily altered live compliation can be.  But that one is not necessarily the norm.  I have far too many commercially released live albums that have fades between songs and are clearly from different shows, and in some cases, different tours!  As good as Live And Dangerous is (my favorite commercial live album), it is not my favorite live Lizzy disc.  That one would be a "B" quality bootleg from the Paradise Theater in Boston recorded on 09/06/78.  It is one of the most honest shows I've ever heard.  Phil desperately wants to win over American fans, the setlist is amazing, and Gary Moore plays one of the most smoking and brilliant performances of his career (and I've heard hundreds of them).

Thanks again to Joe for creating this thread, and the members here for sharing their thoughts and ideas.  I'm really looking forward to this release.  I'm simply addicted to live music, and Joe creates some of the best I have ever listened to.  Peace!

jim m wrote:

A single disc release wouldn't be such a bad thing. Andy Live left off a couple of tracks but it was still a good representation of the show. Same with Rockapalast. I'm confident that the live disc will say what Joe wants it to say about the live performance with it condensed down a bit.

I'm all for a double disc but if it turns out to be a single CD I could certainly live with that.

I hear you, Jim.  Andy Live is great and I'll take whatever Joe dishes out.  But I really wish AYE and HTCT were on the ANDY Live cd.  For some reason, I think the DVD was my favorite version of HTCT that I've heard.  I'd love to have those 2 on cd or mp3.  Hey, here's an idea, could those performances from the ANDY Live concert be sold as individual songs on iTunes?  I'd definitely pay for them.  And ditto for any performances edited off of the new live cd because of space.  One way or another, I wants me my Joe.

joebeacon wrote:

2500+ you need to catch up . i have about 10,000 +

Ha!  I don't think I'll ever catch you.  I couldn't even figure out how to store that many discs.  smile

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

77 (edited by susan 2008-01-20 09:52:49)

Jane H. wrote:

anyway i seriously am hoping a Bogie drum solo is going to be on this thing but above all be sure i'll be more than happy with however it happens!

I know alot of you like drum solos and I think Bogie is a great drummer, but, I for one, don't want to hear a long drum solo on a record.  While, it's ok live, I would probably just fast forward thru it on a record.  I would much prefer hearing a song.  That's just the way that I feel. 

Susan smile

"Listen to the melody cause my love is in there hiding"

I may be the only one not to get that excited about a live release. I have recordings of most of the Joe shows I have attended and those mean more to me than some show I wasn't at.  Plus, artists like to go into a studio and fix mistakes, when I can appreciate that a band is human and mistakes could be made during the course of a performance.

I'll still buy it though. Gotta have it for the collection, but it may not get a lot od spins in my CD player.

Just downloaded the Shepherd's Bush live tracks from iTunes. Yes, the band is minus Rick and Carmine, but Boogie and Mark are smoking back up for Joe, who is obviously having a good night.

I love Joe's studio recordings, but live is where he and band excel. Mountain Time is a must hear at the very least. I just wish there were more tracks.

The only issue I have with many of the live bootlegs is the often poor quality of the audio. There are exeptions of course, but my experience has been a little disappointing in that respect. Maybe I am just not getting them from the best sources.

Anyway, I am glad that Joe is being picky about the content and quality of the recordings. Everyone can have an off night and there is no reason nor need to include a possibly not up to par performance.

I think that sometimes the "live" experience is so much better than studio recordings, both for the audience and the muscians who can feed on the energy in the room and sometimes reach new heights, which a studio recording just can't capture.

That's why I push people I meet to go see Joe live. I believe he and the band are one of those acts that reacts to and feeds on the positive energy of the audience making the whole experience that much better.

Sign me up for that double disk!

Nothin' but the Blues

I'll take a double CD please!

~Rhonda

"I don't think obsessions have reasons, that's why they're obsessions....National Geographic likes their pictures in focus..." Robert Kincaid

susan wrote:
Jane H. wrote:

anyway i seriously am hoping a Bogie drum solo is going to be on this thing but above all be sure i'll be more than happy with however it happens!

I know alot of you like drum solos and I think Bogie is a great drummer, but, I for one, don't want to hear a long drum solo on a record.  While, it's ok live, I would probably just fast forward thru it on a record.  I would much prefer hearing a song.  That's just the way that I feel. 

Susan smile

hey!  i totally agree!

i dont take away from the talent of drummers, but there are only so many noises drums can make.  they are ok live, but never the highlight of the show for me for any band or really even close i honestly view them as filler and i guess a way of proving the drummer's talent.  meaning if it is a drum solo or nothing, ill take the drum solo, but if it is a drum solo or another song or a solo on any other instrument ill take the latter.  putting a drum solo on an official release to me would be insane unless it was a full concert start to finish.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fCdNsm7gvu8

If wine and pills were hundred dollar bills
I might keep you satisfied

Let insanity prevail. Come on people give the drummer some.

That would be one place to edit if needed leave off Just Got Paid/Dazed/Drum solo. All or nothing right?

I hope not. Then again it is on the Shepherds Bush release.

83 (edited by Shredit 2008-01-21 21:36:35)

suhl wrote:
susan wrote:
Jane H. wrote:

Susan smile

hey!  i totally agree!

i dont take away from the talent of drummers, but there are only so many noises drums can make.  they are ok live, but never the highlight of the show for me for any band or really even close i honestly view them as filler and i guess a way of proving the drummer's talent.  meaning if it is a drum solo or nothing, ill take the drum solo, but if it is a drum solo or another song or a solo on any other instrument ill take the latter.  putting a drum solo on an official release to me would be insane unless it was a full concert start to finish.

My take is any great musician doing a solo makes me smile..."Neil Peart"...'Les Claypool"...etc....I hope "Bogie" gets some love on the double disc...did I say double disc??...one more time  "DOUBLE DISC"....jus so you heard me the first time...please make that a double...double...

Dave

Look forward to the "Live" album, I prefer "Live" over regular music.  My I=pod is loaded with all kinds of "live" music from Joe B to Molly Hatchet to bootleg STYX with Todd Sucherman on drums where he has some awesome drum solo's.  Leave the drum solo's on there.  Just my opinion.

Take care
Capt. Kirk

Hey Guys,
I have to tell you. Joe and I talked about it during the tour and he said we may have to cut the solo for the recording. I was fine with it and still am for many of the same reasons some of you mentioned, but overall if it comes down to a drum solo or another song, there's really no dilemma. People come to see the songs of Joe Bonamassa, not the solo of yours truly. I have no problem or dillusion about this. I hope all is well with everyone and that we see you soon. We begin rehearsing tomorrow for the new tour and I'm very excited to play with the guys again. By the way, the live cd tracks that I've heard are pretty smokin, way better than any bootleg could possibly be, unless it was mixed by Kevin Shirley. With that I bid you good night and see you out there somewhere.

Bogie

you are a @#$%^^&# class act man.  like even if i had the exact same personality yet was in your position instead of mine as me i would be irritated with what i had said, but you just took it for exactly what i meant and with a complete grain of salt.  i'd like to shake your hand, a hell of a drummer and a hell of a man.  look forward to seeing you next tour bro.

bogie wrote:

Hey Guys,
I have to tell you. Joe and I talked about it during the tour and he said we may have to cut the solo for the recording. I was fine with it and still am for many of the same reasons some of you mentioned, but overall if it comes down to a drum solo or another song, there's really no dilemma. People come to see the songs of Joe Bonamassa, not the solo of yours truly. I have no problem or dillusion about this. I hope all is well with everyone and that we see you soon. We begin rehearsing tomorrow for the new tour and I'm very excited to play with the guys again. By the way, the live cd tracks that I've heard are pretty smokin, way better than any bootleg could possibly be, unless it was mixed by Kevin Shirley. With that I bid you good night and see you out there somewhere.

Bogie

Hey man just to let you know, I have a friend who is really great at the drums and loves Joe and his guitar playing, but he said the next time you guys come around in these parts he is specifically going to the show to see you!

Just wanted to let you know that you aren't without your fans as well!

Well, the night I was born
Lord I swear the moon turned a fire red

oh i respect the hell out of bogie, but i will not lie, i am an honest man and he is not what i an throwing the money down for.  i consider myself lucky he is there, but if it is over twenty dollars to see literally the best drummer on the plent like bring back buddy rich i am not going to pay it there are only so many things that can be done with the drums.  i appreciate what he does and respect  him more than almost every drummer i hear but he aint what i go toi see(though i do consider it and added bonus for sure) and i liked joe before him you knowwwwwwwwwwwwww

Personally, I think we should see an album like, "Bogie Bowles Plays Joe Bonamassa's Greatest Hits" and you have is Bogie playing drums. Kind of a take off a Conan O'Brien bit where Max played Springsteen's greatest hits, and it was just him on the drums. Was hilarious when he did Born In The USA.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

bogie wrote:

Hey Guys,

Bogie

Hey Mr. Bogie "Cap" Bowles (Your friend & mine)
     I sure hope you had a great down time and I can't wait to see you out there somewhere.
Bobby says to tell you, "Hey!"

Patty smile

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184