55 (edited by dknight16 2008-01-18 19:32:32)

Re: "Live From Nowhere in Particular"

Live albums are supposed to be an honest document that chronicles the live show experience.  Here are 2 ways to completely destroy the live album concept:

1.) Edit the set list by removing, shortening or reordering the songs
2.) Take "the best version" of songs from different concerts and package them together

Give us a complete show that includes all of the energy, passion and warts that makes each show special and we'll love it forever.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

dknight16 wrote:

Live albums are supposed to be an honest document that chronicles the live show experience.  Here are 2 ways to completely destroy the live album concept:

2.) Take "the best version" of songs from different concerts and package them together

Give us a complete show that includes all of the energy, passion and warts that makes each show special and we'll love it forever.

i think your wrong on that it is always great to get a live cd of one show but not every song that is played on one night is going to be the best version of the tour . so by grabbing the best cuts of each song from the whole tour would be the way to go . me i would love the complete show but thats because i am a nut with collecting live shows . as for other people that aren't nuts with the collecting of music this will be right up there alley . i don't want to speak for joe but i have talked to him enough to know that he is kinda of a freak with everything sounding it's best so i'm sure he wouldn't want to put any songs on the live discs that aren't killer versions ...............joe

Derek and the Dominoes Live
Allman Brothers Live

Same location, more than one show. 

I generally agree with you.  The warts make it real and funny.

However, I believe though, that some artists can edit and lose nothing, esp. if there's a certain PR bassman looking over his shoulder.

IMO there are exceptions to the rule. 

But thanks for pointing that out.

Jeff

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

dknight16 wrote:

Very few live albums are warts and all performances. Even someone like Stevie Ray's. Carnegie Hall, Montreux, all edited. Except for maybe the 1982 set because it was only 8 songs. Hendrix's...yep. Clapton's....yep. Very few are warts and all. In a way that sucks, but oh well. The live album is more supposed to be a representation of what the artist is like to be on stage, not exactly HOW the artist is on stage. It's kinda like when you meet a pretty girl, you don't wanna necessarily act the way you would around the guys, you want to put your best foot forward, because it is the first impression. Not that you're pulling the wool over anyone's eyes, but you're making sure that it is the best first impression you can make.

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make"

My ReverbNation page for Dees & Friends - check us out!
www.reverbnation.com/deesfriends

When it comes to collecting and trading boots of live shows, I want the whole thing from start to finish, no cuts or edits, warts and all... that's really the only way to go, if you want to get a true feel for what a particular show was like, or better yet reminisce on a show you personally attended.

However, when I'm spending good money on a professional release, I kinda EXPECT the songs to be cherry-picked... I want every song to knock my socks off.  That's what I'm paying for... a superior-quality recording of killer versions of all the best songs.  I like my boots, but THIS is what I'll be listening to over and over.  And THIS is what I'll be playing for my friends when I'm trying to turn them onto Joe.  I don't blame Joe if he's particular about what he puts out there.

That's my two cents.  smile

--Vik cool

2 thumbs way up for the unedited double disc version from me.  And I like the idea of Joe cherry-picking what he thinks are his best performances.  Listening to something over and over with blatant flaws in them is something that can tend to grate on my ears.  But no matter what if it's up to Joe's standards then the odds are sky high I'll be happy with it.  Double your pleasure, double your fun!

TieDyeVikki wrote:

When it comes to collecting and trading boots of live shows, I want the whole thing from start to finish, no cuts or edits, warts and all... that's really the only way to go, if you want to get a true feel for what a particular show was like, or better yet reminisce on a show you personally attended.

However, when I'm spending good money on a professional release, I kinda EXPECT the songs to be cherry-picked... I want every song to knock my socks off.  That's what I'm paying for... a superior-quality recording of killer versions of all the best songs.  I like my boots, but THIS is what I'll be listening to over and over.  And THIS is what I'll be playing for my friends when I'm trying to turn them onto Joe.  I don't blame Joe if he's particular about what he puts out there.

That's my two cents.  smile

--Vik cool

I'll 2nd that!

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"  unknown

My only reservation about making it a double disc is was the fact that I didnt want it to be too expensive.. We are looking into it and I think it will be fine..  The album sounds very good and the performances are something Im really proud of..
Its being mastered as we speak.. 
Joe Bonamassa

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

My only reservation about making it a double disc is was the fact that I didnt want it to be too expensive.. We are looking into it and I think it will be fine..  The album sounds very good and the performances are something Im really proud of..
Joe Bonamassa

big_smile   big_smile   big_smile   big_smile   big_smile   big_smile   big_smile   big_smile   big_smile
(And that's all I have to say 'bout that.)

--Vik cool

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Joe Bonamassa

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile smile

p.l.j.

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Joe Bonamassa

I dont want to sound needy...BUT!...any chance of having them disc ready at the Jan31st show...yeah i know thats probably ridiculous....just wanted to have you put your John Hancock on them for me...that is if your available Joe

Dave

66 (edited by Ges 2008-01-19 02:41:54)

joebeacon wrote:

joe , it's great that you had the time to do the live cd . i know when we where talking you had mentioned it to me and sometimes thing are said and then time doesn't allow for it but it is great that you got this done . can you put in the notes if possible what shows you took each cut from . i'm kinda a freak when it comes to the details of live music ......thanks and i am looking foward to doing a bunch a shows this year .....see you on the road  brother ......joe

I also like to have lots of sleeve notes as I like to picture the scene as I listen. If I know it was recorded in Preston in the UK with Joe playing his new Bonamassa Les Paul model with Bogie bashing the drums, etc, etc, then that just makes it a better listen visualising the hapenings.

Did I say Preston ?
What a great idea for a future gig venue.

Joe look up these venues and get your agent to give em a call.

53 Degrees. A new modern venue for bands to play in NW England. Two different sized areas -
http://www.53degrees.net/index.php?page=where-we-are

The larger venue in the city centre:

http://www.prestonguildhall.com/site/in … ;Itemid=44

....and the smaller venue in the same building:

http://www.prestonguildhall.com/site/in … ;Itemid=45

Love to meet you at one of these.

Hallo Bill,

In post 46 page 4 of this item you asked yourself how to put the Rockpalast DVD on  audio.
I burned it with my Marantz-CDrecorder , brilliant quality. I have the CD in my car and at home when I just want to listen on my stereo and not want to watch TV.

I can make you a copy and send it over if you like. No problem. Need your address then. Send me an email if you're interested, no costs of course.

Andre Wittebroek.

dknight16 wrote:

Last year at Paradiso Joe told us that he doesn´t want to make a "Live form the HOB/Paradiso/ whatever" - record, because you have to pay a lot of money just for using the name of the venue in the Cd title. So that could be another reason why it is "From nowhere in particular" instead of a "complete show"....
In general I agree with the others - there´s nothing wrong with picking the best performances for a Live Cd - and so more fans can say "I was there", even if it´s just one song. I would also love to see the venues in the liner notes ... don´t know if that costs money too.

I´m SO looking forward to this smile,  Eva

P.S.: Joe, a lot of Live records are more expensive than the Studio albums ... but IMHO a Live record is something really special and I´m willing to pay more money for it (that goes for all the other artists - if you release a new record I would also pay 100 Dollars for it and wouldn´t mind wink) - so Double Trouble, please!

You are on the mark Eva about nowhere in particular. Most venues have an origination fee.

A single disc release wouldn't be such a bad thing. Andy Live left off a couple of tracks but it was still a good representation of the show. Same with Rockapalast. I'm confident that the live disc will say what Joe wants it to say about the live performance with it condensed down a bit.

I'm all for a double disc but if it turns out to be a single CD I could certainly live with that.

joe, don't worry about cost . if you put it out there they will buy it . i still want to talk to you about recording all your live shows and selling them the same night at the show . its very easy to do and i have all the details worked out to do it . let me know if your up for something like that . i'm sure if you are playing a place that holds 500 to 600 people you would get 100 to 200 people buying the show 10 to 15 minutes after it is over . it will be joe bonamassa instant live ...20 bucks a pop it would be some  nice pocket change . shoot me a private e-mail if you want to chat a little more in detail about it .....later joe

Double up JB!!! cool

“A friend is someone that will help you move............a TRUE friend will help you move the bodies." -- anon

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

Joe Bonamassa

I can't speak for everyone else, but...

I'd DEAFinitely pay for the double CD.  Not that I have much disposable income, but this would be money well spent.  GO FOR IT JOE!!!

L8r... John

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"  unknown