Re: Encyclopedia Of Joe Bonamassa Guitar Help

Hi.  I'm new on this post.  Very nice thread.  Being a tone hound also I was checking out who uses what cables of all things. 
I've been a fan of Joe's since I first heard him in Pittsburgh several years ago.  Joe's tone has always been amazing and very versatile.  You can hear the influences he's going after on a particular song whether trying to cop E.J's tone or Jeff beck, BB King.  And..he nails them.  When I saw his rig I knew he was a guy who was into the "tone" thing.  Not just the choice of amps ..Two Rock, Dumble, Fuchs, Marshall Silver J's, etc but the cables (monogami) Mic's (seinheiser 421's on this night)..it all adds to amazing tone.

Being a fellow endorsee of Fuchs amps, I tried contacting Joe last summer when he came through Pittsburgh.  I wanted to say hi and talk gear.  Specifically the verb/delay thing.
I'm curious why Joe likes the Boss or Keeley delay pedals (both great) over rack mount gear.  I find that mounting a few choice pedals in my rack, along with an amp/effect switcher and a multi effect unit where I can have everything pre programmed including amp channels, delay and verb settings along with any combination of pedals all accessible with one button on a midi controller.  I had only had my Fuchs ODS deal for a few months and was still dialing things in.  Unfortunately Joe never called back so I never hooked up with him.  I'm still curious though.

Back to my cable quest.  I might try the Monogami's  Ihear a lot about them and the Lava cables.  I'm really not into spending $189.00 on a 15 ft Lava VDH though.  The Lava ECL comes highly rated as well as the slightly more expensive Vovox.  Unlike Joe I have had great success and luck with the Planet Waves.  Great tone and reliabilty for the same price as Monster (which sound like there's a blanket over your amp)
Anyway.  Nice thread!!

Hey...

I found this really helpful..

Thanks for gathering it all up.

Im 18 and love Joe's tone and always wanted to know what his secrets were...

Brilliant thanks

Fender Strat, Tokai Les Paul, Marshall VM, Boss DD 3 (Japanese), Proco Rat (origonal) and Boss SD - 1

In relation to 12 String on live “Ball Peen Hammer”:
Its a Breedlove..  I found it in Denver.. I always had this vision for Ball Peen Live.  The 12 string is perfect for the song.  It fills alot of space and does that banjo thing very well.  It also stays in tune.. very important with a 12 string.?

I'm glad I looked at this thread!  I knew that was a 12 string Joe was playing, just didn't know what make or model.  Maybe if I can track Joe down at one of his gigs I can find out which model.

Thanks Kyle!

Major Tom to ground control...

Thats is a LOOOT!!!! that'll come in handy for loads of people. Keep up the good work!

Jamming with Joe and Bernie Marsden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18zqg3brNH8

Oh...very interesting thread!!!! Thank you Kyle!!!

JB jr

"but if heartaches were nickels...I'd be the richest fool alive"

From The Guitar Center Sessions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-MvF6cYLDo

Great info - thanks
M

26 (edited by psy 2010-04-09 15:04:29)

wonderful, very well done!!!

I don't know if this has been here for a million times, but I find it interesting that Joe almost always uses the LP treble pup. It makes the sounds he manages out of the thing just that more cool, I mean it is pretty easy to sound bluesy with the setting on rhythm, but Joe does his magic on treble! huge respect! As comparison, the Clapton woman tone is on the rhythm, with just enough tone dialed. Joe is the best, of the best, better than anyone I know anyway!!!

--psy

psy wrote:

wonderful, very well done!!!

I don't know if this has been here for a million times, but I find it interesting that Joe almost always uses the LP treble pup. It makes the sounds he manages out of the thing just that more cool, I mean it is pretty easy to sound bluesy with the setting on rhythm, but Joe does his magic on treble! huge respect! As comparison, the Clapton woman tone is on the rhythm, with just enough tone dialed. Joe is the best, of the best, better than anyone I know anyway!!!

--psy

and I continue,  the sounds in john henry are crap!!!! LP would have done a nicer job!!!!

....ok.. i`ve never top wrapped a guitar in my life and want to try it on my next set of strings.. please can someone tell me if you put the strings through in the normal way and go under-back-and over.... or... put the strings in reverse in the tailpiece and go up and back over?.... i can hear all the giggles all ready!  neutral

Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.
R. Buckminster Fuller

Pete The Cabby wrote:

....ok.. i`ve never top wrapped a guitar in my life and want to try it on my next set of strings.. please can someone tell me if you put the strings through in the normal way and go under-back-and over.... or... put the strings in reverse in the tailpiece and go up and back over?.... i can hear all the giggles all ready!  neutral

Hi Pete,

Top wrapping strings through from the pickup side of the tailpiece over and back along the length of the neck, might also want to make sure that the tailpiece is screwed all the way down to the body.

Top wrapping will also make the strings feel a little lighter so you could go for 11-52's or similar and they will probably feel like a set of 10's.

It's not to everyones taste so give it a try, if you don't like it, don't try restringing the same strings in the conevetional method as you would have put quite a kink in them as they go over the tailpiece, makes them a bit more prone to breaking when re-strung in the normal way.

If you need any help drop me an e-mail or i'll top wrap it for you when we meet up for a pint and a play in the not to distant future.

regards

Stewart  lol  lol

Have Fun and laugh like it's your first time! You never know you might get to like it! big_smile

30 (edited by Pete The Cabby 2010-08-09 05:30:21)

...thanks Stewart!... look forward to our Django session!... if i top wrap 08`s do they feel like 07`s?  neutral

...only jokin`!  tongue

..edit:... put pic`s in wrong thread!

Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.
R. Buckminster Fuller

Would be great to get this going again - I'd like to start up a "Gear" section on the fan website.

Bill

In relation to JB Goldtop specs:

Hey Everybody,
              I just wanted to give you a update on what we decided on for the Joe Bonamassa Les Paul.  First: its going to be a Gold top based on a early 57 design.  It'll have the black back and black pickup surrounds and hardware.  They will be aged and look right for the period.  They will have a Burstbucker 2 in the front and a Burstbucker 3 for the lead.  All the chrome will be aged and it will have Grover tuners.  The headstock will be a consistent thickness and match my main Murphy. It will have the nice 1959 profile neck.   The ABR-1 will have no retaining wire and 3 nylon saddles just like on mine.  I basically did everything to it to make it a great guitar.  It'll be light and the dish on the top will be more pronounced than on other historic Gold tops. It will look and sound and most importantly feel right.  I wanted to  make something that people will want to play forever and always grab for as their first choice.  I dont know exactly how much they will be but in the low $3000's  I will guess.  Kudos to Pat, Rick, Edwin, Tom and Chris  and everybody at the custom shop for being so cool and doing this for me.  Plus got to give a big shout out to Jim Dunlop for making the Joe Bonamassa custom Jazz 3's.  They are basically the same pick only with my name on them.  Just got them today.. so cool
Joe Bonamassa

33 (edited by Jane H. 2011-03-04 13:40:20)

OK I did search of posts by Joe in this section. they might not all be guitar help per se but I am copying them here. hope it is helpful. I'm starting in ascending order from around Kyle's last edit, some may be repeats. It will take multiple posts...putting links so you can go back for context

If anyone has the time to take these and section them into topics more fitting to what Kyle started, feel free and then post them then i could delete these if that makes sense. otherwise i might take the time to do it or at least bold the thread titles for easier skim reading. thanks

Joe Bonamassa 2007-12-01 09:17:41
Re: joe's overdrive pedals (15 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)I use a Ibanez TS 808 reissue and a Gas Pedal.  Thats all.  I rarely use them its mostly amp overdrive
Joe Bonamassa    http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4189

32 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2007-12-01 17:40:14
Re: joe's overdrive pedals (15 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)not modded standard issue guitar center...  settings are drive 10 oclock tone 12 oclock and level 1 oclock.. just a feedback enhancer...really
Joe Bonamassa  http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4189

33 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2007-12-19 21:59:40
Re: Joe's string height on Les-Pauls (28 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)I use 11-52 Dean Markely strings.  I use high action..  Its important on a Les Paul that the truss rod is adjusted properly.. A poorly adjusted truss will make play horribly out of tune and intonation.  Proper nut adjustment will also be a factor.  Dave uses Nut Sauce on the gibsons and frankly makes them sound so intune.  Light years ahead of what I could ever do. The big frets are a help and use them to your advantage. Also wrap the strings around the bridge then go over the saddles.(Jimmy Page, Billy Gibbons style)  It helps make the heavy strings feel lighter.. Most people who play my guitars think they are 10's.  Good Luck and Happy holidays.. 
Joe Bonamassa 

Oh Oh I forgot.. set up your guitar without the amp.. Make it sound good acoustically then plug it in.. thats what I have learned is a good sounding electric guitar will sound good and warm without a amp..
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4373

34 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2007-12-27 14:51:29
Re: So I got a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe... (16 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Im actually a fan of the fender "hot rod" series.  Way better than the standard early 90's blues deluxes of deviles.  Shows u how outta touch fender is that they reissued basically one of the worst amps they ever made.. Anyway.. Im not a fan of those guys honestly.. As you can probably can tell.  The hot rod series is good and I find to be very versitile. Its a good amp to set one tone and use your guitars volume control for the gain.  Also the reverb is good. Also kudos to your parents for such a nice Christmas gift.. My suggestion is take it back get a new one.  Not one that has been beaten over and over by everybody.  That'll probably do the trick.  The Mesa lonestar is a good amp. I used  straight in on the Mark and Bryan Show in LA about 5 months ago and really liked it.  Good reverb and gain and very loud.  The rental  had some reliability issues.  I saw many service tags ect.  Plus it had a bit of a squeal and basicially just made it through 5 songs.  Anyway rental stuff is a different story.  It never works right..
Good Luck
Joe Bonamassa  http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4433

35 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2007-12-31 19:32:15
Re: Overdrive/boost pedals question (20 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Hey guys.. for your situation Id use a THD hot plate for your Bassman and  some sort of Clean Boost.  There are alot of pedals with a single knob that keep the bottom but boost the gain.  MXR(Custom Audio Electronics ) model is cool.  Carl Martin ect..  You need to saturate the amp first..  Try to get used to a shield.  Clear sonic makes a good one for a combo.. Jim Moody makes the ones Carmine and  I use..  They have a custom spec for the extra tall cabs. Its not classified but its a very particular measurement.  Just ask Jim he knows. 
The shield is the only way to eliminate the death ray.  But try the hot Plate and boost first and see how it goes.  Also try to turn the amp around backward.  Its a old Tom Dowd trick for getting the roundness out of a combo amp..  Tom knew guitar sound and really got me on the path Im on now.. 
good luck
Joe B
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4258

36 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2007-12-31 19:48:27
Re: Overdrive/boost pedals question (20 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)I should actually explain my home practice low volume rig..  I live in LA at a condo complex.  Very Hollywood types live here.. They have no interest in hearing the bluesboy crank up the jams late at night so I devised a rig for my house ..
1.  1987 Marshall Silver series Marshall 50 watt 1X12 combo..
2  1965 Fender Princeton Reverb or a 1957 Fender Vibrolux with a Kendrick reverb unit
3 THD Hot Plate ( for Princeton Only)
4 paired down pedal board (spare)
   AB/Both switch, Vox Wah , TS 808 RI , Fuchs Audio prototype "Creme " pedal and A boss DD-3 delay.
I get a pretty good approximation of my big rig at TV volume.. You know  watching a Law and Order Marathon and playing guitar at the same time  kinda thing. Can hear the TV and guitar at the same time.. No Broom sticks from below..( been there done that). 
Anyway.. There is always another way to get your tone..
joe bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=425837

Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-01-01 10:12:04
Re: Jo's Princeton tone settings. (8 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)volume 8 , treble 8 bass 4 and reverb 5
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4503

38 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-01-02 17:59:50
Re: Help with a Telecaster (11 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)The guitar sounds like its microphonic.. Strap locks will not come through the pickups on its own..  Try taking some standard issue foam and sticking it in the pickup cavity.. If its a older one try using super glue to secure the brass plate on the bottom of the lead pickup.  That would be my suggestion
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4448

39 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-01-02 18:03:50
Re: Joe, two questions: one gear one tour... (9 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Havent Tried the boss unit.. But Boss always makes a consistently good pedal honestly..  Leslie simulation is tough.. A TC Chorus will also work in a pinch.. MXR Phase 100 also does work.  I m loyal to my Korg G-4 but honestly I dont really use it much anymore.. Im going over to Custom Audio Electronics next week in Studio City to try their Tremelo unit.. Its supposed to be good..  Anyway
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3347

40 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-01-02 18:06:40
Re: Joes Amps (4 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)I have a ODS 100.  I like it.. I have two Identical rigs (sorta) One in Europe and one here in the US.. I also leave gear in Mississippi and in Los Angeles.  I m trying not to pay the airlines to destroy my gear anymore.. So certain amps and guitars  show up at certain times.. Its also depending on the venue sound and how Im feeling on a particular day..
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4457

41 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-01-02 20:10:37
Re: Amp Blending (12 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)I would choose a Vox honesty.  the vox will take care of the mids that the fender or JCM doesnt have.  I like the reissues with the greenback celestions.  they have a good mid to them.  There is also a mod in which you can turn your "Cut" knob which is basically useless to me into a master volume.  That takes me back to my first solo tour with Jethro tull.  Two AC 30's and a Marshall Silver Jubilee.
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4518

42 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-01-11 09:38:07
Re: Output Tubes in Joe's amps (7 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Tube substitutions can be cool but dangerous if the amp is not biased or self biasing.  EL-34s are clearer in some respects and louder than say 5881's. The original Marshall  JTM-45s were 5881 and basically British military spec 1958 -1959 Fender Bassman  circuts.   So each amp will react differently to swapping tubes but honestly I have found that it doesnt radically change much.. If your looking to make your Marshall sound like a Fender or Vox its really not going to happen by just swapping tubes.  But you might like the results nontheless..
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4609

43 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-01-11 09:45:09
Re: Output Tubes in Joe's amps (7 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Oh.. I forgot....
The Jubilees , Carol Ann and Category 5 are  EL -34 (JJ brand)
Two Rock, Van Weelden Fuchs are 6L6 or 5881 (TAD)
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4609

44 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-01-19 18:13:56
Re: Joe's multi-amp set-up & Ceriatone amps? (8 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Dumbles are nothing but very refined and ingeniously designed Fender based amps...  A cheaper amp that would work would be a Silverface Dual Showman Reverb( Many original Dumbles started with that showman circuit and transformers. Especially the Transformers.   If you get the 1968-69 ones with the Silver Trim they are identical give or take to 1965 Twins.Great with 15s JBL D-30s or A pair of EV 12Ls   For a low power option.. A Fender Vibrolux with a EV 12L will get you in the Ball park of a 50W ODSpecial.  Deluxe would work but would sound closer to a Vox honestly.. Vox AC-30 would be a cool combo with your Marshalls  too.. Wouldnt it be great to win the Lottery..!!!
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4680

45 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-01-19 21:31:47
Re: Joe's multi-amp set-up & Ceriatone amps? (8 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)A thing that I have noticed about the FET Preamp in my experience with the real dumble I in the 4 amp set up along time ago and some the Dumble style amps I own is that the FET makes it run out of phase with the Jubilee.. Now the Jubilee is a strange bird most of the time requiring to be grounded differently.. I call it playing nice with the others.. For my money if your going to take the plunge and get the only amp that sounds closest and looks the closet is Peter's amp..The Twinkleland.  Im sure the other amp guys would agree that their amps are in the Style of Dumble and a bit different in a few ways.. Peter Van Weelden has actually made one and truthfully its all in the Twinlkelator for me.  The buffered tube effects loop that controls the amount of send and return the amp is seeing.  Jus creating a interesting compression that brings it imediately to Robben Ford and Larry Carlton mode.  Anyway good luck and if theres one amp that made us better they would have bottled it and sold it to us buy now..  After the live record Im in the back to basics mode.  4 different amps and I sound like me ... no better or worse.  Marshall, Dumble, Fender ect..  Im going back to playing with a mono sound/less amps where the bigness comes from my playing and volume.  Its in the hands.. Jeff Beck is the pinnacle of that statement. 
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4680

Joe Bonamassa 2008-01-19 22:18:02
Re: Jo's Princeton tone settings. (8 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Les Paul Tone on 5.... on a Fender you need to crank the Treble to get the proper gain.. the Les Paul takes care of the rest
Joe Bonamassa

47 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-01-21 20:45:49
Re: Jo's Princeton tone settings. (8 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Id recommend buying a Deluxe reverb or a 1X12 extention cabinet open back..  But I use a EV 12 L.  They are great for Fenders.  Very True to what the amp sounds like.. But  I wouldnt  carve into that really nice old amp..  Actually try putting a EV 10 in the princeton and see what happens.. You dont actually get a ton more low end from the `12 in my experience..
Joe B

48 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-01-22 22:58:56
Re: carl martin setting (4 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Carl Martin HD&boost setting..  Boost  at barely 9 oclock...  Rest set it at noon..
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4708

49 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-02-17 05:14:25
Re: Joe's tone on the Mark and Brian show (8 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Hey all,
          Well the reason I only used the single amp which was a 1X12 Silver Jubilee Marshall was because the M&B studio for bands is not that big.  There would of been no way to bring two amps let alone the big 4 amp set up.  I thought the tone was fine maybe a bit bright for my taste.  Its the part of the game... Sometimes you can control the set up sometimes you have to improvise and just go for it.. It was just a straight cable and Les Paul...
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4856

50 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-02-20 02:43:40
Re: Hey Joe - I have a question for you (9 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Definately the EV 12Ls will do what you want them to do.  The vintage 30's give you a 2 k high end with a fender style amp that is somewhat unpleasant..  You wont regret the EVs at all..

Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5042

51 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-02-21 01:54:27
Re: Speakers (12 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)I use the standard EV 200 watt 12L..  Its plenty to handle to the 100 heads.. I honestly havent tried the 300 watt ZW speaker...  I hear its great.. Zakk is a good guy and is a really great player..
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4792

52 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-02-23 04:37:33
Re: Joe's reversed humbucker & Fuzz Face??? (4 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Ok... The reverse Humbucker in the 59 Les Paul was done with the intention of creating that "Out of Phase" sound.  But I didnt know that to achieve this you have to go into the coil and mess with that.. Frankley I like the look of it like that and have been too sick/lazy to put it back.  Plus my guitar tech Dave says its easy to spot in a low light situation.. on the set list guitar sheet its listed as GM for Gary Moore.  As far as the Fuzz Face goes it was buit for Eric Johnson and given to me by Jorge at Dunlop.  Its really great and like my original grey one that I lost a long time ago.  The Fuzz face runs only through the cat 5.  They have a very good expression sound and work well for creating very angry guitar sounds..  I just purchased two color sound pedals that I m going to try later today in Manchester. I have done this beacause the other night in London Steve Hackett told me thats what he used on the first Genisis albums including Seconds out Live.  That was a thrill to sit and talk to Steve and Chris Squire from Yes.  I was in like a little kid again.  I have been getting into Fuzz's again because Im bored(which Dave says is when Im at my most dangerous state) and want to try to expand the tonal variations of the rig.   With Les Pauls its hard to get radically different sounds with the same rig.  The Les Paul is the Les Paul..  It really takes on a life of its own..
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5087

53 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-02-27 08:10:35
Re: Intonation issues with Gibson type guitars? (5 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)I have heard this alot over the years... The pitch of the headstock really shouldnt do anything to the intonation..  The key to keep LP's and Gibsons in general in tune, is to graphite the nut and to get rid of the sticking of the D and G strings.. Jus.. making the bar chords seem out of tune and the whole guitar hard to tune up.  Another trick that I do is to cut off the retaining wire from the ABR-1.  If you find you need to go back or forward a bit more to get the guitar to intonate better then you have that flexiblity. Also you may have a situation where your frets need to be dressed or replaced due to uneven wear.  That will also cause a guitar to play out of tune.  Lowering the pickups slightly will also help reduce to the drag on the lower strings caused by the magnets.   I have had the same senarios with Fender and other brands.  People have been playing Gibson guitars intune for a long time. There is always a way
Good Luck
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5147

54 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-02-27 13:51:51
Re: Advice on a New Amp (28 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Ok...  This is too much fun to stay out of.
500 pounds or about $1000 usd

Amps I like for that much new/used

Marshall DSL 50 1X12 combo
Fender hot rod deville 2X12 combo
used Vox AC 30 reissue
used circa 94 Peavey Classic 30 or 50 and while you are at it try to find a Val-Verb
vintage Lab Series L-5 or L-7 solid state but BB King and Ty Tabor love em.. so do I
used Mesa Boogie Lonestar 2X12  maybe a bit more than a grand but a good amp
used Marshall 30th anniversary 1X12 combo again maybe a bit more again
vintage silver face Bassman or bandmaster
vintage marshall JCM 800 combo
vintage Garnett 30  (by Gar Gilies of Winepeg CA)

Amps to beware of... Im not saying dont buy them but give them a good listen

DR Z...I know I know people love them.. I have never played one that did it for me, again if you own one and like it .. thats great.
Fender Blues Deville series... The original ones were very very very bright... did I say they were bright?
Anything that says Crate and voodoo on it
Anything that says Johnson or Cyber on it
Anything that says KRANK on it.. They are used in a lot in Heavy Metal,  but sound like vacuum cleaners to me.

anyway thats my 2 cents...
Thanks
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5126

55 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-02-29 02:47:31
Re: What's your amp history? (69 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Here we go..

Dean Markely 20 watt solid state practice amp  (First real amp dad bought me , and a great preamp for Fenders)
Sunn Betta Lead 4X12 combo (sat in with Albert  Collins with this one and it stayed up with his quad Reverb when I couldnt)
1973 Fender Twin Reverb also BB King's Favorite Twin.. He used it many times during the early 90's
Marshall JCM 800 50 Watt Head and Cab (first marshall used on my second gig ever)
1964 Fender Super Reverb  ( first vintage amp)
1965 Fender Twin Reissue one of the first ones off the line (Smokin Joe days)
1990s Red Knob Fender Twin (smokin Joe days)
1968 Marshall Super Lead (Bloodline)
1970 HiWatt 100 (Bloodline)
1987 Marshall Silver Jubilee  (bought so many years ago and still use that particular one.  best of the 5 100 watters I have)
3 x 1970's 100 Watt Marshall half stacks (Bloodline)
2 Vox AC 30s  (Early Solo Band) 1997 to 1999
2 Marshall Country Club Combos (Early Solo Band) 1999 to 2000
1968 Fender Vibratone Leslie (Early Solo Band) 1999 to 2000
2 JCM 2000 half stacks Jethro Tull Tour 2000
1965 Dual Showman (2002 to 2004)
Line 6 Flextone 2003
Budda Superdrive 80 (2004 to 2006 )
Fuch ODS 100 (2005 to 2006)
Van Weelden TwinkleLand (2007 to present , part of my Euro 220 volt rig that stays over here)
Category 5 JB 100 (2007 to present)  I have two one European one in Silver for America
Marshall  Hand wired 100 watt reissue (Thank you Paul and Jenny from Marshall) 2008
1973 Park 75 (2006 to 2007)
Carol Ann JB 100  (2007 to present ) I have two one black one red for America only

These are the amps I have used live only....Some of the tweeds and odd ball amps are used in the studio.. I have a bunch of  but usually just stick to the live rig. My collection is around 40 amps right now..
I am happy with my set up right now

http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5181

56 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-03-01 04:04:28
Re: What's your amp history? (69 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)I like the Two rock amps for a very direct tone.  I  prefer the custom signature reverb 1 with the presence knob over the CSR 2 with the contour.  I dont know why but I do.  They do a very good   ^ type of tone.  Not a lot of lows or highs but great mids that blend well with the Marshall Jubilee.  I have two of them and I actually like the European one better.  Its a little cleaner.  Joe and the guys over there are really nice and helpful.  A very honest amp.  You hear your good days and you hear your bad days very clearly.  The VanWeelden is a bit more true to a Overdrive Special I think.  Its rounder and has less gain,  although Peter makes this pre amp called a gainland which is so great.  Peter's amp is top notch and built like a tank.. You must get the Twinklelator though.  The compression that the outboard tube effects loop creates is beautiful and so Robben Ford ish.. The Carol Ann is the same situation a most expertly built Dumble style amp that is does the full saturation with high articulation thing.  The main difference between Alan's amp is that he uses EL 34s instead of 6L6s.  The Red one with the Eric Johnson tweak is my favorite of the two I have.  Its all what you like.  The amps that I have described are not cheap but do that thing very well. I will say that "Thing" is not for everybody.  Some people prefer less articulation and more compression, some dont like all that midrange that you get.  I hope this helps... I will say this.  I just played a gig with Robben Ford and he had his Dumble ODS and TC 2290.  I also saw him with two reissue twins and he sounded the same.  Great!! Save $40,000 on a real Dumble that may or may not be authentic and buy yourself a nice 3 series BMW.  Girls will dig the car better than the black box with  Vox grille on it.
Just my thoughts 
Thanks Joe Bonamassa

Go to forum: Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear Go to topic: What's your amp history? Go to post 56
57 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-03-03 11:20:34
Re: Joe visits GuitarGuitar Glasgow (8 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)I tried the Shiva....  For me it was too bright and too scooped in the mids.  It reminded me alot of the ENGL stuff.  Super compressed gain channel and nice clean side.. If forced to use one I would drive the clean channel and use a boost or Tube Screamer.  That would be best.. Not bad, not for me though
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5181

58 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-03-04 14:43:15
Re: Guitar History, you knew it was coming (71 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)This is fun I have to say.. It makes me go back in time.

1 Chiquita short scale (age 4)
2 JB PLAYER  strat (age 6)
3 Fender Strat Plus (Age 8)
4 1972 Fender Strat candy apple red (age 9)stripped the finish myself what a bozo I was
5 1970s Gibson Les Paul Standard (age 10)
6 1972 Gibosn Firebird (age 11)
7 1968 Telecaster (heavily Modified) (age 12)
8 1954 Fender Stratocaster Hardtail (age 13 Bloodline and thank you Walt Disney and the Mickey Mouse Club)
91962 Fender Stratocaster Sea Foam Green (age 13)
10 1959 Gibson Les paul Jr (age 15)
The List goes on from there  in the hundreds so I wont bore you...  Those were the first electrics..
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5221

59 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-04-15 09:42:22
Re: joes guitar setup on django... (15 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)I ll tell you exactly what I used for that song.. If I remember correctly .. I turn 31 in 3 weeks and have 22 grey hairs...
It was a Silver Jubilee Marshall with the boss DD3 and the 1972 Marshall superlead through a 4X12 Budda Cab with a Flip tremelo and Carl Martin Hot Drive and Boost MK2.  The guitar was my Blue Gigliotti strat that has the best and most responsive Tremelo ever.  I guess Pat doesnt like me anymore since he took off his new website.. Anyway they are great guitars.. Mogami cables and OH!!  a  old TC Chorus. The drone was created by a Line 6 echo that I had in line for the Pain and Sorrow thing.  Carl Martin makes the best chorus now IMHO.   Kevin Shirley had ALOT to do with that tone as well.. The abbey road Neve thats at the Palms studio room A  and 1176 compressors didnt hurt either.   
Thanks Joe B
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5842

60 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-04-18 05:44:07
Re: 'Tis a sad day in "Strat-land" for Strat/Joe fans!! (227 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Hey Everybody,
          Two reasons actually.. First was the constant comparison to SRV (something that I am truly honored by  but not a fair assessment of the way I play) Second reason I used to spend hours and a hours trying capture this tone I had in my head. When I play the Gibson it just appears naturally. I grew up playing Les Pauls and trying to sound like Paul Kossoff.  It was only due to Bloodline that I need a thinner sound to cut through a 5 piece ensemble. 
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5927

Joe Bonamassa 2008-04-18 06:02:03
Re: Les Paul experts? Need recommendations on bright pups as well as hot.. (29 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Hey Dudes and Dudettes,
               First of all I would probably stop short of putting $9000 worth of pickups in a $1000 guitar for starters..I didnt purchase the ones in my 59 historic they were a gift from the seller and a very good friend of mine back in Utica NY.  There are some great options.. I have had great luck with the Burstbucker 2 in front and the 3 in back... Jim wagoner builds some very nice stuff at WCR pickups.. He can/will custom wind something a bit brighter if thats your thing.. He is a really nice guy and so into it..   I personally like a a darker sounding guitar due to the fact that its way easier to add high end than it is to take it away in my experience.. Standard issue Seymor Duncan antiquities are also good.  I have all these combinations in various guitars that I own,  The Joe Bonamassa Les Paul(sorry I just like saying that , give me a week to get over myself) Has the Burstbucker 2/3 combo and its plenty bright but does what a Les Paul should.  That woody human voice tone..  Again good luck.. I hope this helps
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4490

62 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-04-18 06:29:43
Re: Les Paul experts? Need recommendations on bright pups as well as hot.. (29 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Sure... Its based on a very early limited run of 1957 Gibson Goldtops that had black pickup surrounds and appointments..  It has a 1959 profile neck and the back and neck are painted black..  The guitar is aged to look as it was 51 years old. It has a specific dish shape to the top like my very flamey Tom Murphy historic.  It also has a specific headstock thickness like my 1959 ES 345.(So Many Roads , Black Night guitar)  It has aged grover tuning keys.  It has 3 nylon saddles  on the EB and G strings.  The wiring is somewhat custom but appears to be stock.  A few tweeks to the caps and such.  Its designed to be very inviting and warm to play.  Its not a mantle piece but based on the vintage Les Paul guitars that my Dad used to buy at  guitar shows that were not completely stock but set up for the player.. Those were always my favorite.. Something your not a afraid to beat up and wear in.. A few gigs and the guitar will break in perfectly I think..  I wish I knew how to link my I phone to my computer and post a picture of it. I will ask Aaron my drum tech and resident computer/ I phone expert how to do so. 
Joe Bonamassa

63 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-04-18 12:06:38
Re: Les Paul experts? Need recommendations on bright pups as well as hot.. (29 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Thats true....Strings dont break...I like the sound with the unwound strings having nylon saddles.. the bass strings tend to get a bit muddy with them so I split the difference
Joe B

68 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-05-14 06:28:51
Re: Question for Joe about kt 66 (4 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)KT 66's were used on very early Marshall amps.  I only heard them on a very early 100 watter.  It was a JTM-45 /100 "super amplifier" .  It was glassier and cleaner than other 100 watt superleads I own.  Early Bluesbreaker combo (aka Clapton models) were actually bigger in physical size then the reissues now and later 60's early 70's models.  They used 5881 valves and were basically give or take and again Im not a amp expert British military spec 1959 Fender Bassman clones.    Each Marshall is different especially old ones.  I have 5 superleads and they are all different.  Each input sounds different, has varing amount of gain ect.  If it was my amp I'd put KT 88's and see what happend.  Making it somewhat of a Park 75.  I have one and its extrodinary.  Good luck / and only do any mods with a qualified amp tech.  Ive shocked myself more than I care to remember and plus there are lethal amounts of voltage stored in the caps. 
Joe B
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6231

69 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-06-09 07:05:20
Re: Best dumble pedal? (42 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)I just got a Pearl Drive that Im messing with right now.  It has the mid and articulation of the dumble style.  I havent been able to get it in the rig yet.  But a promising pedal....
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6459

71 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-06-13 13:15:21
Re: What happened to the Fulltone Tube Tape Echo? (14 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)I use a boss DD-3 and I really cant tell the difference alot of the times... I think they are 189 ish.... 
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5903

72 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-06-24 07:27:08
Re: Some kind of amp-switcher-box-thingy. (18 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)I actually use the Leile abc... The new one is programable and really good...  I havent had good luck with the morley switchers...

Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6577

73 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-06-26 07:04:12
Re: Joe's new amp? (20 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Its actually a reverb.... Jane edit - store bought blues
I found the Diaz reverb/tremelo called the Vibramaster.  I use it for reverb on the Two- Rock..  The Two Rock's reverb died so it works great.. I paid 800 dollars for it.. Its #005.. Pretty cool. 
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6652

74 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-07-03 06:08:19
Re: Amp Phasing Question (11 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Its tough to sometimes to get combos in phase with each other.  The best way I find is to reverse the phase on the speaker by reversing the positive and the negative (if its a 1X12) using a phased speaker cable if it has more that one speaker.  With three amps you will also be using several if ground lifts (if in the UK I dont know what to tell you) If in europe a simple piece of electrical tape over the earth with do. (Be very careful when employing this method especially if you sing).
   Now that you have all the buzzes out and have had a chance to shake off the 120 volt shock you recieved by touching two amps at a time, you are ready to start.   First put the main amp on,  with your favorite alternate. Listen and then switch to you third.  Ask yourself which one has more bass? Thats what your looking for.  The most bass means your in-phase or really damn close.  If the first paring does then reverse the third amp, if the second pairing does reverse the second amp.  If its a tie or very close then its your main amp.  If its your main amp. Stop. Pair the two alternate amps together and look at which way the speakers are moving. ( They should move forward and simultaneously.  Reverse the phase on the main amp and reset it up.  (note: your grounding will change per venue and situation). It should work.  The best way to R and D the rig is in a studio with all three amps mic'd.  Listen through the studio speakers and flip the phase button on all three amps until you get the amps moving air in the same direction..  I hope this helps... This is how we did my rig.  The only trouble we ever had was with the dumble style stuff.  Two Marshalls were never a problem. 
Be careful...Theres a lot of extra electrons floating around looking for a home.. when you do this That home maybe you....!!
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6740

75 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-07-15 11:27:17
Re: Get your order in .... (35 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)I aged it because goldtops look so tame in mint condition.. This was designed to be a everyday player piece.  A guitar that you bring to gigs, rehearsal, leave leaning up against the amp.  So many of these boutique guitars are bought and stored in vaults without a scratch on them.. Its a waste of wood if you ask me.   I wasnt going to go down that road.  I wanted the guitar to be inviting to play.  As collectors we loose sight of the fact that all guitars should be played.  My Les Paul is a guitar if you get a scratch on you dont lose 200 bucks.. It might even be worth more...  They are selling very good.  Again Gibson did a hellava job on these.. They really need to be commended..
thanks Joe Bonamssa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6823

Joe Bonamassa 2008-07-21 04:15:56
Re: Best Jubilee Substitution? (5 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Slash Head has a bit more gain but does what the Jubilee does to the extent of about 80%.  I think they are cheaper.  Two amps that are kinda close are Engl Richie Blackmore model (Yes you heard me right) and the Marshall 2205 model mini head that are 50 watts or maybe 35.  I cant remember.   A new amp or old amp that I discovered by sheer luck is the solid state Marshall Master lead Combo from like 1979.  I bought it for like 200 dollars in Athens GA and was using it til  my"real" gear made it from California.  Let me say this one sounds like a original bluesbreaker combo.  Extremely warm and articulate.  A week later Im in another music store killing time and low and behold another one with reverb priced at 250.   I currently own both ( I shouldn't be spending money on gear with the house that Im in the middle of furnishing) Anyway... Both are great amps for under 300 dollars and if you can stand to face your friends with a Oh my God!! non tube amp.. Its a option and a cheap one..   In these inflationary times its really cool to find stuff that sounds good for less than you can buy a DR Z owners manual for....No offense to DR Z I needed a example...  He makes good stuff...  nothing in the 200 dollar range... with a 10 foot Fender cable thrown in.... Im nothing if not a savy negotiator.... (Thank you Dr Charles Karass)  If you fly a lot you will get that one, if not it was a joke for frequent flyers.. 
Joe Bonamassa (going green and not using tubes this week)
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6986

77 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-07-29 03:23:13
Re: Eric Czar's Bass (3 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Ibanez ATK 5string circa 1999...
Jane edit - I own that #@$@#!!!!!  big_smile 
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7069

78 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-08-09 22:09:48
Re: I got my JB Goldtop (73 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)I am so happy to hear that all of you are so pleased with my Gibson Les Paul Model.  The guitar means the world to me and I consider this probably one of my most proud moments.   I have been in a down mood lately and this just made my day..  Take care of them, but dont be affraid to beat them up a bit.. They can take it.. I assure you..
Most Humbly
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7159

79 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-08-10 11:29:10
Re: Marshall 2555 Silver Jubilee (19 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)I just saw a 1X12 combo Marshall silver jubilee at a show for 2200 and the guy didnt really want to sell it..  I think a far price for one is around 2500 really.  $4,000 is pretty steep.  But if he gets it thats bad news for the rest of us...
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7160

80 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-08-10 11:31:28
Re: Marshall 2555 Silver Jubilee (19 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)By the way... Stay away from the 50 watters..  They dont have the same midrange as the hundred watters...
Joe Bonamssa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7160

81 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-08-12 22:43:07
Re: Marshall Silver Jubilee 50/25 combo Joe setting? (6 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)easy.... 
presence 5 , bass 10 , mid 7.5  highs 4.5 master 10 , volume 5 and gain 5
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7244

83 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-08-21 19:03:38
Re: EV speakers problem - HELP! (9 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Its got to be something in the chain or cabinet or just faulty speakers ...  If Im wrong ..  a new set of EV 12L's on me..  The 12LS are the go to speaker by necessity.  A 100 watt marshall cannot kill them...  Ive tried many times.. Thats why I use them.  Plus they sound killer .. 
Joe Bonamassa..
write me a email on the website if Im wrong..  I ll get u a new set...
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7413

84 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-08-23 15:34:36
Re: If you could recommend me one of Joe's amps, what would it be? (5 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Marshall Jubilee...
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7442

85 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-08-25 07:25:33
Re: Joe's Live acoustic rig. (23 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)My acoustic rig is the Yamaha acoustic, plugged into a SSL channel strip, then run into a Klark DI ending at a Electro-voice wireless.  Electro Voice monitor set on Kill...
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7453

86 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-08-26 20:10:27
Re: Mysterious Marshall that I saw Joe playing... must identify! (2 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Thats a stock JCM 900 reverb head not plugged in.. 
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7476

87 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-09-10 05:20:36
Re: "New" piece of equipment (8 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Thats a good old Fashioned Theremin.  Made by the Moog Company.  Its new and really cool
Thanks Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7660

88 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-09-11 21:47:00
Re: 1968 or late 67 fender bassman (5 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)I have about 12 pre 1965 Fender heads and cabinets..  They are so great..  Use them  dont  store them.  They break down with long periods of storage and rock when used..  A under valued vintage item indeed.
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7677

89 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-10-23 16:48:14
Re: Amp Switching (5 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)well honestly.. thats how Eric Johnson did it.. three separate rigs.  Clean , semi distorted and full on.. Sharing some pedals but others separtated.  Its complex.  I call my set up the most expensive channel switching setup in the world.  I always use the Marshall..  then its a series of midrange amps that create different tones.  Always two at a time. Never 4 or 1. 
Thanks Joe B
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8070

90 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-11-04 14:36:22
Re: Jubilee vs Slash Question for Joe (2 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)The Slash has a bit more gain and bottom end and less mids..  Great for more rockish stuff.  still retains the magic that is the Jubilee.. 
Joe B
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8198

91 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-11-14 05:23:34
Re: Fender or Marshall? (24 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)I'd buy the marshall.. It's a much more versatile amp than just a bassman head..  just my two cents
Joe B
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8234

92 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-11-16 03:44:49
Re: Gibson's Inspred by Joe Bonamassa Aged Gold top (13 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Those were especially made for Wildwood guitars.. They are actually not aged.. They will be the rarest ones out there.  Cause I think there are only 25 being produced not aged.. Everything the same except the aging ..  Enjoy
joe bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8318

93 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-11-20 13:03:11
Re: Q's about Joe's Manchester Gig Rig (12 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Hey Everybody,
         The Two JCM 2000 DSL's are good for the fly in shows.. I use two of them into one cabinet set to stereo.  I use the clean channel one set to crunch on set to clean and turned up to about 7 each with the gain at 10.  I use a tubescreamer that is always on for the gain.  I vary the tone by using the volume and tone controls on the Les Paul.  Its a work out but it gets the job done.  It sounds pretty close not as complex in the mids.. But Warren knows how to make it sound good always... it make its easy for me having him do the sound..
Joe B
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8392

97 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-11-24 06:54:33
Re: Marshall DSL or Bogner Alchemist? (1x12 combo's) (4 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Id look for a early Mesa Boogie mark 1 or a Jim Kelly 1 x12.  That would be really cool
Joe B
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8436

98 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-11-25 06:44:58
Re: Anyone Mod Their Amps ? (5 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)thats a perfect thing to do with old amps like that.. If they've been really messed with then you have very little collector value to lose at that point.. I say make em sound good but dont try it ur self if you are not qualified!!! Thats a very dangerous job..
Joe B
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8456

99 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-11-26 05:42:49
Re: What is your amp of choice? (88 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Favorite amps:  under a grand!!

Used AC -30 with greenbacks
Used Marshall  JCM 800 50 watt
Orange Tiny Terror.. Pretty good.. it'll do in a pinch
Marshall Lead Overdrive 30 circa 1979 (solid state)
Fender Bandmaster head circa 1966 or 1967
and the NUMBER ONE favorite!!!!!
LAB Series L-5.. mine cost me $400 dollars in North Carolina!!! mint with tags..  best pound for  pound dollar for dollar
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7103

100 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-11-30 04:00:31
Re: Engl Amplifier (17 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Wow! doesnt take you guys long...  The ENGL is my back up amp incase any of the four heads break down.. In this case the poor VanWeelden through no fault of its own suffered a harmful fall ( thanks to the stage hangs in Italy) Its making a strange cracking noise and Peter is fixing it now. Any other amp would be firewood from the fall the Twinkle took.. Its actually still working but I dont want to hurt it any further.  Like me it deserves a a break..  The ENGL in question is a Richie Blackmore model which I find is very good.. My other choice yesterday was the Bogner Ubershall which I was ready to buy at 2800 euros until I played the ENGL for 1069 (with roadcase as well) euros and found it better.. Goes to show you more money doesnt always mean more sound..  The ENGL might finish out the tour with me as my "Clean " amp.. Its by far not as complex as the Twinkleland (not many amps are) but it 'll do in a pinch..

Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8505

101 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-11-30 11:47:19
Re: Joe's setup on unexpected Walter Trout jam?? (5 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)That show..pretty crude stuff..

Fender twin reissue, UPS packing blanket as baffle
tubecreamer and Walter's Viger strat copy with missing volume knob..
Joe B
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8508

102 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-12-01 05:02:56
Re: Engl Amplifier (17 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)right now the ENGL is being used as the semi clean amp with chorus and reverb...  It helps that the twinklelator is running through the effects loop.. makes it so much better..  Its a good all puroses amp.. Dave loves it for high gain stuff too.. Im happy  and saved 2 grand.... I highly recommend it if like 1000 euros is your budget.. perfect all purposes amp..
Joe B

103 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-12-01 05:13:11
Re: Engl Amplifier (17 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Thats a good set up and essentially is what I do just paired down.. You need a mid range amp and a saturated amp I find.  That makes one tone.. Only thing I'd do is put a EV 12L for your Budda side, that will focus the mids and give a more articulate sound.. The Celestions are good but give u a color and another note within the note.. If you follow.. Also Id add reverb to your bluesbreaker by getting a boss rev 5 and Exotic effects out board loop.. You'll be golden.
Joe B

104 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-12-18 03:52:03
Re: Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555 (33 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)you guys are stealing these amps btw.. 1100 euros..  my god is that cheap.. hook a homeboy up YO!!!
joe B
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8661

105 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-12-18 03:56:52
Re: TS-808 problems (15 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Id suggest.... putting the original in a box for safe keeping.. use a reissue , they are great and cheap..  Nobody will know the difference if u take a chain and screw driver to the outside... Joe B
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8669

Joe Bonamassa 2008-12-18 03:59:24
Re: Polarity problem with paired amps (6 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)If your getting a polarity issue when switching channels then your clean channel is also out of phase..  You just dont realize it.. use a phase speaker cable.. (switching the ground and the positive).. try that , that will work.. I think..
Joe B
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8679

107 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-12-18 17:30:19
Re: Guitar on Tea For One (14 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)it was my 59 cherry reissue with real Pafs (now its  retired).  Through a silver jubilee and a 1970 marshall super lead.  the chorus sound was a old TC- chorus that happened to do the weird univibe thing.. strange cause I havent heard one do it before or since.. reverb and delay of course.. EV speakers and my first attempt at the oversized marshall cabinet.. Alessandro made them..  they kinda didnt last very long.  but sounded good while they did. 
joe B.
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8687

108 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-12-18 21:21:31
Re: Guitar on Tea For One (14 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)it had played hundreds of shows.. It deserves to spend a few years in a state of rest.. It may come back out one day with some new frets.. I m weird about refretting things..Id rather just get a new guitar.. LOL
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8687

109 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-12-23 13:16:40
Re: Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Registry (384 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Joe B
prototype, 001, 002, 003, 051
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8720

110 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-12-25 21:06:47
Re: I'm Looking for a practice amp. (10 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)I like the older (80's) marshall solid state single twelve amps.. they have fet gain.. similar to the type of front end Dumbles use.. they are great and can be had for like 200 dollars
Joe
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8731

111 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-12-28 18:44:11
Re: Playing stereo verses mono how about some input from JB (20 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Ok, here we go.. first I dont run Stereo in the true sence of the word.  I do run two amps but its really a tone stacking approach rather than stereo. The word stereo as it was explained to me a long time ago by Kevin Shirley, is two little tones panned 180 degrees from each other in order to fool the ear as to think the is sound big and wide..  First Id but a whirlwind or a Lehle A B both switch.  run your two amps through, that then through your TC.  TC reverb is input based device.. you could over load the front end simply by turning your amp past 5 or 6.  The Whirlwind doesnt care.. its a buffered free pass so to speak. (caveate emptor... do not buy a morley product for this application) Having the Fender and Matchless is a good thing.. Make sure your not running them in the same way.. it may fool your ear in the room going Wow!! this sounds massive, when in reality its 1 plus 1 equals 1 if you follow.  Use the Machless for mids. complex mids. almost displeasing to the ear.  then use your Fender to do the top and bottom end.  Now a Vibro King is not going to rattle the walls.. If you really want to shake it up buy a new baffle and grille from mojo music supply. one that fits a 15 inch speaker.  Then call EV and get a 8 ohm EV 15L or try to find a used one online..  with that you will rule the world..Do not buy a Jensen or anything that says Hemp on it.. Hemp cone is just a hippie term for disapointment.. You need a real speaker.  One that doesnt collapse on the bottom end.  My set up is based on that approach only with 3 variables and 100 watts each. Hope this helps..
Some would read this and say I really need to get out more and get a girlfreind..   the some would be right...
good luck
Joe B
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8760

112 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2008-12-29 18:58:40
Re: Playing stereo verses mono how about some input from JB (20 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Ok.. heres a sure fire way to get around the 2 channel front house shuffle..  again I had this problem with four channels.. so I made a mic cable that linked 3 mics together and one separate..  so in your case just have a 2 to one split made 50/50 and Bobs your uncle as Rick would say..  simple solution.. We still run the 3 to one /1 to 1 split even though I ve had my own house engineer for 4 years.. 
Joe B..
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My new quote is.. Now I really need a girlfriend!!!

113 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2009-01-01 10:02:37
Re: Playing stereo verses mono how about some input from JB (20 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Im not saying Im right or wrong.. In my experience the hemp based product is better for quilts and rope than for speakers.. thats all.. Warren has killer tone and would sound the same through a solid state amp.,..Its in his hands really.. If he likes them thats great.. I know Carlos Santana uses them too.   I might be in the way minority.. but on this forum I alway give my frank and honest opinion.  Im not right all the time but I will say this my 100 watt amps burned the hempcones up in about 15 mins.. granted I was using two instead of four but it didnt take long.. They are a lot of money so if it helps people narrow down their options I ve done my good deed for the day..
Joe B

114 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2009-01-02 13:40:03
Re: Poor Man's Joe Bonamassa Rig (100 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)thats way cool Yo!!  Its still a bit pricey..  heres mine

all under 500 dollars. 
marshall  2505 30 watt mini head (tube) same loop as the jubilee
Sovetek Mig 50 ( superlead replacement)
1970 fender bandmaster (with tubecreamer plug in always on)
1970 fender Bassman ( with boss digital reverb always on)

Cabs.. Carvin.. 100 british spec speakers
Joe Bonamassa....

On a side note here is my current home/office  low volume rig.

2008 Van Weelden Twinkleland 100 (the new red one..awesome) with a THD 8 ohm soak,
1961 Gibson RVT 79 stereo and with a Chandler Tuber driver,
1965 Fender Princeton reverb with THD soak
1987 Marshall silver Jubilee 1X12 combo..

You should note that all amps are run at very low volumes so I can watch Law and Order on TNT and play at the same time..
Its fun to mess around with different stuff.. very cool thread!!!
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8817

115 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2009-01-03 14:23:00
Re: Tailpiece down and topwrap or traditional way? (32 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)I think there are slight variances on the tops depending on the dish and if its a Monday or Friday guitar.. I found the wrap around thing to work well with all Les Pauls and some 335 and 345s but not all.  Its really a system to allow you to use heavier strings without feeling like your playing telephone cables.. It also prevents the ABR1 from sagging in the middle overtime..  I stole the idea from Billy Gibbons and Jimmy Page.. I dont know who did it first.. I guess if you asked them both they would both take credit..  LOL..  It takes nothing to try and if you dont like it you can easily put it back.. but I would crank down the stud to body.. big difference in tone there YO!!!
good luck and congrats on being in the club of descriminating Les Paul Men..
Joe Bonamassa
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8833

116 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2009-01-05 20:21:18
Re: Pedals please ... ? (38 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Hello Eva!!
I second the montion on the Digitech Bad Monkey.. a very very good pedal..
Other pedals and amps.. is a amp that starts with F and say hot rod deluxe,
Vox AC 15 new one's are ok, Orange Tiny Terror is the best for me though..
A tubescreamer is the old standard and is what I use along with a fuzzface(very specialty item) and a Carb/Gas Pedal.  Good luck on your search.. Why didnt you raid my spare stash when you were hanging out with us in Germany? Tons of stuff in there!!!  LOl!!
Joe B
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8840

117 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2009-01-06 20:24:20
Re: Should I zip-strip the paint off this vintage amp? (7 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Na... I wouldnt strip the pain.. Id cover it in a very cool new tolex..  make it candy apple red, or fawn, or like the Reverend Billy G go Louis V!!   Im a fan of makeover amps and guitars.. once the paint went on it the collector value RAN away from the amp.. so you have nothing to lose.. Be creative and make it the coolest Sears and Robouck around!!  Good Luck!
Joe B
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8825

118 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2009-01-07 08:39:01
Re: How is he doing that? (12 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)Jim is particular to that Gigliotti..  He asks me about it all the time.. LOL and yeah its just the product of high action heavy strings and a taller fret..  The thing is that if most of you played my guitars you'd probably be disapointed or shocked really about how hard they play..  Its like tether ball for the me.. Keeps me from overplaying

Joe B
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8848

119 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2009-01-08 11:38:06
Re: TONE TUBBY. (20 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)I would go with a Greenback Celestion.. Tone Tubbys are too scooped in the mids.. Plus the Greenback is cheaper and will give you more mids
Joe B
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8871

120 Reply by Joe Bonamassa 2009-01-09 08:59:03
Re: Muddy Neck Pickup (13 replies, posted in Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear)A lower output pickup like a seymore duncan 59 will work.. One came in the front of my korina V and it does that clear almost "S" word thing.. try that or try lowering the pick way down and see it it clears up.. but you in a good place.. its easier to add high end than it is to take it away..
Joe B
http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8878