Re: Encyclopedia Of Joe Bonamassa Guitar Help

Hi.  I'm new on this post.  Very nice thread.  Being a tone hound also I was checking out who uses what cables of all things. 
I've been a fan of Joe's since I first heard him in Pittsburgh several years ago.  Joe's tone has always been amazing and very versatile.  You can hear the influences he's going after on a particular song whether trying to cop E.J's tone or Jeff beck, BB King.  And..he nails them.  When I saw his rig I knew he was a guy who was into the "tone" thing.  Not just the choice of amps ..Two Rock, Dumble, Fuchs, Marshall Silver J's, etc but the cables (monogami) Mic's (seinheiser 421's on this night)..it all adds to amazing tone.

Being a fellow endorsee of Fuchs amps, I tried contacting Joe last summer when he came through Pittsburgh.  I wanted to say hi and talk gear.  Specifically the verb/delay thing.
I'm curious why Joe likes the Boss or Keeley delay pedals (both great) over rack mount gear.  I find that mounting a few choice pedals in my rack, along with an amp/effect switcher and a multi effect unit where I can have everything pre programmed including amp channels, delay and verb settings along with any combination of pedals all accessible with one button on a midi controller.  I had only had my Fuchs ODS deal for a few months and was still dialing things in.  Unfortunately Joe never called back so I never hooked up with him.  I'm still curious though.

Back to my cable quest.  I might try the Monogami's  Ihear a lot about them and the Lava cables.  I'm really not into spending $189.00 on a 15 ft Lava VDH though.  The Lava ECL comes highly rated as well as the slightly more expensive Vovox.  Unlike Joe I have had great success and luck with the Planet Waves.  Great tone and reliabilty for the same price as Monster (which sound like there's a blanket over your amp)
Anyway.  Nice thread!!

Hey...

I found this really helpful..

Thanks for gathering it all up.

Im 18 and love Joe's tone and always wanted to know what his secrets were...

Brilliant thanks

Fender Strat, Tokai Les Paul, Marshall VM, Boss DD 3 (Japanese), Proco Rat (origonal) and Boss SD - 1

In relation to 12 String on live “Ball Peen Hammer”:
Its a Breedlove..  I found it in Denver.. I always had this vision for Ball Peen Live.  The 12 string is perfect for the song.  It fills alot of space and does that banjo thing very well.  It also stays in tune.. very important with a 12 string.?

I'm glad I looked at this thread!  I knew that was a 12 string Joe was playing, just didn't know what make or model.  Maybe if I can track Joe down at one of his gigs I can find out which model.

Thanks Kyle!

Major Tom to ground control...

Thats is a LOOOT!!!! that'll come in handy for loads of people. Keep up the good work!

Jamming with Joe and Bernie Marsden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18zqg3brNH8

Oh...very interesting thread!!!! Thank you Kyle!!!

JB jr

"but if heartaches were nickels...I'd be the richest fool alive"

From The Guitar Center Sessions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-MvF6cYLDo

Great info - thanks
M

26 (edited by psy 2010-04-09 15:04:29)

wonderful, very well done!!!

I don't know if this has been here for a million times, but I find it interesting that Joe almost always uses the LP treble pup. It makes the sounds he manages out of the thing just that more cool, I mean it is pretty easy to sound bluesy with the setting on rhythm, but Joe does his magic on treble! huge respect! As comparison, the Clapton woman tone is on the rhythm, with just enough tone dialed. Joe is the best, of the best, better than anyone I know anyway!!!

--psy

psy wrote:

wonderful, very well done!!!

I don't know if this has been here for a million times, but I find it interesting that Joe almost always uses the LP treble pup. It makes the sounds he manages out of the thing just that more cool, I mean it is pretty easy to sound bluesy with the setting on rhythm, but Joe does his magic on treble! huge respect! As comparison, the Clapton woman tone is on the rhythm, with just enough tone dialed. Joe is the best, of the best, better than anyone I know anyway!!!

--psy

and I continue,  the sounds in john henry are crap!!!! LP would have done a nicer job!!!!

....ok.. i`ve never top wrapped a guitar in my life and want to try it on my next set of strings.. please can someone tell me if you put the strings through in the normal way and go under-back-and over.... or... put the strings in reverse in the tailpiece and go up and back over?.... i can hear all the giggles all ready!  neutral

Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.
R. Buckminster Fuller

Pete The Cabby wrote:

....ok.. i`ve never top wrapped a guitar in my life and want to try it on my next set of strings.. please can someone tell me if you put the strings through in the normal way and go under-back-and over.... or... put the strings in reverse in the tailpiece and go up and back over?.... i can hear all the giggles all ready!  neutral

Hi Pete,

Top wrapping strings through from the pickup side of the tailpiece over and back along the length of the neck, might also want to make sure that the tailpiece is screwed all the way down to the body.

Top wrapping will also make the strings feel a little lighter so you could go for 11-52's or similar and they will probably feel like a set of 10's.

It's not to everyones taste so give it a try, if you don't like it, don't try restringing the same strings in the conevetional method as you would have put quite a kink in them as they go over the tailpiece, makes them a bit more prone to breaking when re-strung in the normal way.

If you need any help drop me an e-mail or i'll top wrap it for you when we meet up for a pint and a play in the not to distant future.

regards

Stewart  lol  lol

Have Fun and laugh like it's your first time! You never know you might get to like it! big_smile

30 (edited by Pete The Cabby 2010-08-09 05:30:21)

...thanks Stewart!... look forward to our Django session!... if i top wrap 08`s do they feel like 07`s?  neutral

...only jokin`!  tongue

..edit:... put pic`s in wrong thread!

Everyone is born a genius, but the process of living de-geniuses them.
R. Buckminster Fuller

Would be great to get this going again - I'd like to start up a "Gear" section on the fan website.

Bill

In relation to JB Goldtop specs:

Hey Everybody,
              I just wanted to give you a update on what we decided on for the Joe Bonamassa Les Paul.  First: its going to be a Gold top based on a early 57 design.  It'll have the black back and black pickup surrounds and hardware.  They will be aged and look right for the period.  They will have a Burstbucker 2 in the front and a Burstbucker 3 for the lead.  All the chrome will be aged and it will have Grover tuners.  The headstock will be a consistent thickness and match my main Murphy. It will have the nice 1959 profile neck.   The ABR-1 will have no retaining wire and 3 nylon saddles just like on mine.  I basically did everything to it to make it a great guitar.  It'll be light and the dish on the top will be more pronounced than on other historic Gold tops. It will look and sound and most importantly feel right.  I wanted to  make something that people will want to play forever and always grab for as their first choice.  I dont know exactly how much they will be but in the low $3000's  I will guess.  Kudos to Pat, Rick, Edwin, Tom and Chris  and everybody at the custom shop for being so cool and doing this for me.  Plus got to give a big shout out to Jim Dunlop for making the Joe Bonamassa custom Jazz 3's.  They are basically the same pick only with my name on them.  Just got them today.. so cool
Joe Bonamassa

Great Stuff!!

What a great wealth of information in this thread.  Love it!

In relation to set up of his Les Paul:
https://forum.jbonamassa.com/viewtopic. … 74#p207574

Here ya go....
       I usually set up a Gibson of any sort with 11-52 Ernie Ball gauge strings.  Each time the guitar is restrung a portion of Big Bends nut sauce is applied.  It works miracles as far as overall tuning is concerned.  I like the neck to be straight without any relief but not over tightened.  This lets the guitar ring at its maximum.   I find there is a big difference between 10 gauge strings and 11's as far a Gibson is concerned.   Something about the scaling and the way the guitar reacts..  Again its not a test of manhood..  I use stock pots and capacitors in my reissues and as far as the two original 59's they are as they came out of Kalamazoo in 1959 for the exception of the Fake 58 tuners that work way better than the originals.  I still have those as well.  I use a medium high action so the guitar fights back a little when I bend the strings.    Its all about finding that balance of power and finesse.  Fender guitars are a different story..  But I rarely use those anymore.  I hope that helps..  It is a personal thing.   Experiment and enjoy the search..  !!   Welcome aboard..
Joe B

I so love the gear head side of Joe.  Thanks for all the hard work in compiling all his replies.