Re: Les Paul experts? Need recommendations on bright pups as well as hot..

Can you tell us just a bit more of the Bonamassa LP?
Mike

Just when I discovered the meaning of life, it changed.

Sure... Its based on a very early limited run of 1957 Gibson Goldtops that had black pickup surrounds and appointments..  It has a 1959 profile neck and the back and neck are painted black..  The guitar is aged to look as it was 51 years old. It has a specific dish shape to the top like my very flamey Tom Murphy historic.  It also has a specific headstock thickness like my 1959 ES 345.(So Many Roads , Black Night guitar)  It has aged grover tuning keys.  It has 3 nylon saddles  on the EB and G strings.  The wiring is somewhat custom but appears to be stock.  A few tweeks to the caps and such.  Its designed to be very inviting and warm to play.  Its not a mantle piece but based on the vintage Les Paul guitars that my Dad used to buy at  guitar shows that were not completely stock but set up for the player.. Those were always my favorite.. Something your not a afraid to beat up and wear in.. A few gigs and the guitar will break in perfectly I think..  I wish I knew how to link my I phone to my computer and post a picture of it. I will ask Aaron my drum tech and resident computer/ I phone expert how to do so. 
Joe Bonamassa

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

It has 3 nylon saddles  on the EB and G strings.

How come you chose not to put nylon saddles on all six strings?

What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wild beasts sweeping majestically over the fields?

I want one of these sooooo bad now, even more than earlier today, which was pretty darned bad!!!! A guy can dream eh!?!

Just out of curiousity Joe, say I did win the lottery or just....you know....came into some cash, is there going to be a left-handed option for your LP, yes YOUR Les Paul!?! smile

"Music should strike fire from the heart of man, and bring tears from the eyes of woman."
                                                                                                   Ludwig Van Beethoven

23 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2008-04-18 14:07:07)

Guitargeek wrote:
Joe Bonamassa wrote:

It has 3 nylon saddles  on the EB and G strings.

How come you chose not to put nylon saddles on all six strings?

I can take a crack at that.  Nylon saddles do affect tone...but they also decrease string-breakage. The high E, B and G strings break the most often, so it probably made sense to only put nylon saddles on those respective strings while keeping the standard issues saddle pieces for the wound strings that rarely break.

IMO

Nic

PS  Joe, My big question is will the guitars have the strings wrapped around the tailpiece straight from factory?

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Thats true....Strings dont break...I like the sound with the unwound strings having nylon saddles.. the bass strings tend to get a bit muddy with them so I split the difference
Joe B

Joe Bonamassa wrote:

..  I wish I knew how to link my I phone to my computer and post a picture of it. I will ask Aaron my drum tech and resident computer/ I phone expert how to do so. 
Joe Bonamassa

Hey Joe,

If Aaron's not available, I suppose I COULD be talked into making a little trek out to Malibu just to snap a few photos of the beloved new Joe Bonamassa Les Paul and post them for the hungry fans.  You know, a sacrifice for the people..........

wink  Libby  wink

I know that Joe could play one of those kid's guitars with the plastic strings and make it sound good-
Bill S.

Hey Joe,

Don Ritter here - OK I want the first one.  Pick me out a good one(I know, they are all good just like our amps).  So you have a confirmed order here-please don't make me go through Gibson.  and I'll need you to sign it on the back of the headstock of course.  Just tell me how much and I'll send the check to the appropriate party.  And I'm Serious-you just sold one.  Also got this Red firebreather here I need to get to you.  Congrats on the guitarplayer blues guitarist of the year!!

DonR

27 (edited by Beerdog80 2008-04-18 23:31:11)

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

I heard of them, but when I read some harmony central reviews, I read they were 'one-trick donkeys.' I'm happy to hear that's incorrect.

totally incorrect.  Those mules are amazing.  I didn't 'buy' them though (they are close to 400 USD for the pair).  I had a pair of 490R/490Ts that came out of my SG that I changed out for other pups and has these sitting around and a 'acquaintance' I know had bought the BNK's but got in a tight for cash so I gave him $150 and  the pickups with hardware for them.   I have been tempted to take out the EMGs in my Paul for their Miracle Man pups but thats not something I REALLY need. 

But obviously, JB is right.  Spending big dollars for pups in a cheap guitar does not make much since.  Thats like buying a blower motor and sticking it in a car without a transmission.

He also made another good point...the capacitor on the tone controls. Lower value caps result in higher frequency ranges, while higher values lower the frequency.  Sometimes, all a guitar needs is something as simple as a cap change and your good to go.

Don't play leapfrog with a unicorn

I'm way late on this topic, but when talking about open sounding and warm pups for a Les Paul, I'd go with Lollar Imperials (standard wind....not the over or under wind).

Got some in a 59RI LP I had just to A/B them with what was in there, and they sounded beautiful. It's a cliche, but they do nail that vintage PAF tone.

When playing that guitar (and a Jimmy Page relic by Edwards I have them in) I tend to boost the mids a little and use less gain....they sustain and sing beautifully without having to compromise string articulation due to higher gain levels.

I have the Lollar '52 T Series in the neck of my tele and it's an amazing sounding Tele pup.  I was thinking about hitting up a '52 T for the bridge as well.

Don't play leapfrog with a unicorn

The JB signature... Wow, what a Les Paul.
Thanks for listing the specs!!

My personal Alex non Signature 57 Les Paul Goldtop (:lol: sorry couldn't resist!)
is in fact a 2003 CS Les Paul with a few changings. I changed the wiring to the 50s wiring (makes it slightly brighter) and the pickups are a Staufer 57 PAF set. They are quiet low output (7.5K) and a a tad brighter sounding than the stock Burstbuckers. Great pickups, I love them

Alex

...it's a musical journey
www.u2-experience.de