Re: Overdrive/boost pedals question

Marshall PowerBrake?

-never used power soaks.... I traded down for a 55watt amp vs keeping the 100 -

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

20 (edited by Riley 2008-01-09 12:01:33)

Hey all.  My first post.  Been a huge Bonamassa fan for a few years now and live in his hometown area.  I used to try and use pedals for all my saturated singing tones and it never sounded like a great tube amp cranking.  Joe's right about a power soak, the THD HotPlate is my favorite, and works well with just about every amp I've ever tried where's I need one.  I've used them on 100 Marshall's and 50 watt Marshall like amps with great success.  I live in the city limits, houses upon houses and can't play real loud ever.  Also my wife gets sick of listening. LOL!

Right now I use a Ceriatone Expression (Trainwreck Express clone) amp.  50 watter 2 x KT77 powered and I run the volume on it at half way which is super loud without a power soak.

Here's a clip I did last night of it using a '58 Les Paul Historic model.  It was maybe as loud as a TV turning a good movie.  I could hear my guitar strings over it.  All the distortion is natural amp distortion except at the 3:01 mark I step on a Klon for a bit for more sustain and compression....and borrow a Joe lick.  Excuse my sloppy playing, but it gives you an idea if how cool a power soak can be for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2nMFvu-x4U

Joe, if your reading what kind of EQ setting & effects do like to use at the mixer it seems to capture your amp & cab tone very well, even when using very different house systems.
By the way running the baffle is the way to go. We have found that amp/ tube reliability is improved with marshalls if we stay away from power soaks etc.. also with the soak you still have the amp laser beam to deal with. The band members also hear the guitar cab better as the baffle seems to deflect sound to the side very well the sound guy loves it, We have a much better FOH mix.

Thanks, Todd from phoenix