Re: If you'll be my Dixie Chicken...

ahsmith33 wrote:
Curby wrote:

Has anyone listened to Lowell's solo effort, Thanks I'll Eat It Here?  The album was released shortly before his death and contains more than a few gems.  He re-does Feat's "Two Trains", sings a sweet ballad, "Find a River" and delivers what would be his last great tune, "20 Million Things".

had that solo effort at one time, another that disappeared. it is excellent IMHO, just love "can't stand the rainaa, against my window...". Feat is one of my favorites, I play some of the extended version of Waiting For Columbus almost every day, one of the really great live albums of the 70's. Tower of Power horns make this recording all the better. my brother got to see them with Lowell in Tuscaloosa before he died. Traffic opened for them, I managed to miss it somehow?? another concert that got away.

I missed the Beatles.  I remember the good old days of icing down some cheap  beer and hittin' the back roads with the Feat and our girlfriends.  I'm tellin' ya those Jenson speakers would crank.  I found this song recently and would swear it's a Little Feat Cover.  Punch song #2.
http://www.magnacarta.net/Michael_Lee_F … rkins.html
]

Curby wrote:
ahsmith33 wrote:
Curby wrote:

Has anyone listened to Lowell's solo effort, Thanks I'll Eat It Here?  The album was released shortly before his death and contains more than a few gems.  He re-does Feat's "Two Trains", sings a sweet ballad, "Find a River" and delivers what would be his last great tune, "20 Million Things".

had that solo effort at one time, another that disappeared. it is excellent IMHO, just love "can't stand the rainaa, against my window...". Feat is one of my favorites, I play some of the extended version of Waiting For Columbus almost every day, one of the really great live albums of the 70's. Tower of Power horns make this recording all the better. my brother got to see them with Lowell in Tuscaloosa before he died. Traffic opened for them, I managed to miss it somehow?? another concert that got away.

I missed the Beatles.  I remember the good old days of icing down some cheap  beer and hittin' the back roads with the Feat and our girlfriends.  I'm tellin' ya those Jenson speakers would crank.  I found this song recently and would swear it's a Little Feat Cover.  Punch song #2.
http://www.magnacarta.net/Michael_Lee_F … rkins.html
]

yes, I sampled that song and it is uncanny how much it sounds like Feat. go over to the Who's Buying What topic and scan over to page 9, they talk about MLF in detail. I like his faux slide technique, he reminds me of EJ and Steve Morse, and Jeff Beck. I need to get some of his music because I am also a jazz freak.
I onlt got to see Feat one time, without Lowell, and it was still great. even better, Jeff Healey opened for them and nearly brought down the house. yeah, they let him stand up and move around a little for the encore.

you missed the Beatles? don't know if I would have told that one. another good topic in the making, who did you miss in concert due to whatever reason, and now regret? I missed the SRV / Jeff Beck Tour '89 that was here in Birmingham, nobody wanted to go with me and so passed on it.

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

Mr. Smith,

Lowell was quite alive and kicking when I was damaging my hearing listening to him.  Unfortunately Little Feat never played near me back then.  They did a nice album recently called Join the Band (7/1/08 release) that has a number of great guests joining the band to play classic Feat tunes.  Dave Matthews and Sonny Landreth spearhead it along with Vince Gill, Bob Seger, Emmylou Harris, Bela Fleck, Chris Robinson, Jimmy Buffett, Mike Utley and Inara George to name a few.  Highlights  are a sweet version of "The Weight" featuring Bela and Mike Utley and Vince and Sonny trading vocals and gittar licks on "Dixie Chicken".  Good stuff and highly recommended for serious Feat fans. 
The mention of Waiting for Columbus reminds me how schweet it still is and imo the finest live album of the seventies and maybe ever.  I have many favorites, but the one that stands out is "Red Streamliner [ Outtake] with some kid named Michael McDonald doing background vocals.
My e-mail address is: tank831@wowway.com if you want to be bored about the Beatle gaffe.
Oh yes....get Firkin's Decomposition album, especially if you like the Church of Skynyrd.

Curby

thanks Curby for the Join the Band info, I gotta have that and did not know about it. that is an allstar lineup, love EmmyLou, Bela, and Sonny. yes, also sampled the MLF take on those 2 or 3 Skynyrd songs, I Know a Little is really good. that's the one I need to buy first. my favs on WFC are Apolitical Blues and A Day at the Dog Races.

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

41 (edited by ChrisM 2010-04-22 18:13:29)

Amsterhammer wrote:

I threatened to describe my first live Feat experience in my original post. It's only taken two months, but here it is. ...

To this day, this was the most profound, intense and moving concert I have ever been privileged to attend.

I have to tell you my first experience with Little Feat.  I was 12 years old (sometime in the 70s, LOL) and my sister wanted to go see a live band with one of her friends.  We lived not too far from DC, so there was always some live music going on somewhere.  Our mother would not let her go because she had recently gotten into some trouble with that friend and in some weird way of her motherly thinking, she thought if she would only allow her to go if she took me along, that would keep her out of trouble.  (wrong)  So, she grudgingly took me.  I don't remember much about THAT band, but during their break the soundman turned on some tunes through the amps, and I heard this voice that literally made me stop dead in my tracks and gasp.  At that point, I head never heard of Little Feat, but it was a pivotal moment for me.  Lowell George was singing Fat Man in the Bathtub, and  I was hooked.  And Little Feat has influenced my choice in music ever since. 

I remember thinking at the time, "HOW could a band be THIS good, and HOW could Lowell George have a voice can make me feel THIS good, and no one told me about him?  WHERE have I been living - under a rock?"  It made me realize that there was this huge world out there I still hadn't experienced, and life was waiting.  The only other time I felt that way was the day I saw the ocean for the first time.

I think about that every time I hear Fat Man in the Bathtub now, and I try to catch just one more new band, or learn one more new thing.  (That's how I came to appreciate Joe B. later in life.)  And of course I always laugh and say 'thanks Mom' - for giving me Lowell George, and one extremely fun night at the age of 12.    yikes

You bring your guitar and I'll bring the wine.  - Little Feat

Willin' at Rockpalast:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrCMlSWl … xt_from=ML

You bring your guitar and I'll bring the wine.  - Little Feat