Re: The Grand Theater -Wausau - Nov. 6, 2007

Nice angle, Dino. This whole "Blues" thing bothers you I know. I like what Jim wrote but I'd like to add...Joe calls himself a blues guitar player. The "What is the Blues" argument is ongoing. I see music as "organic", not seperated by walls. Instead there are permeable membranes between "genres" allowing for mixes. R&B, Blues/Rock, Rock/Metal......very subjective stuff. To me Joe is a warrior for the future of the blues. A leader who will drag it kicking and screaming (yeah!) into the future. BLUES/The NEXT GENERATION.....beam me up....Cathy

20 (edited by Lee 2007-11-07 23:34:46)

sugartown wrote:

Very, Very nice.  One of These Days w/slide outro, hell yes.  I've been waiting for this to appear on a setlist.  How did it translate live, about the same length as the CD?

First off, this was my favorite song of the night. It was stripped down a little because Joe didn't play the slide throughout, just in the last half, but it still rocked! The song was pretty much the same length as on the CD.

Dino,

Loved what you had to say and totally agree. Blues is way too confining a category to put Joe in, even if that's what he calls himself. So all the people who want Joe to stick to "traditional" blues are going to continue to be sorely disappointed because that is not what Joe is all about.

I see so much classical and jazz in what Joe does but it's more than that. It's not technique (although that is stellar), it's emotional as you say. The best experiences I've had at shows is when that emotional connection is made and the energy exchange between Joe and the audience is established. It's like a continuous feedback loop of energy. I saw it at the HOB Chicago show in spades. Not so much the Milwaukee show which I think had a lot to do with the space which was like a big cavern and not suited to Joe's style of show.

I agree that the band is so in tune with Joe at this point that they can turn on a dime wherever Joe decides to go. They contribute so much.

I'm just saying.