Topic: The Grand Theater -Wausau - Nov. 6, 2007

The Grand Theater is a beautiful old theater in downtown Wausau. It holds about 1400 people or so I'm guessing and it was a fairly close to capacity crowd there. The crowd was not the liveliest crowd I've ever seen, but then again they weren't overly obnoxious either. A couple changes to the set list which was as follows:

Ball Peen Hammer
Bridge To Better Days
Walk In My Shadows
So Many Roads
Mountain Time
Another Kind Of Love
Sloe Gin
High Water Everywhere
If Heartaches Were Nickels
Woke Up Dreaming
Just Got Paid - with Ain't Superstitious intro
encores
One Of These Days - with slide outro
Asking Around For You
Miss You, Hate You

Our seats were dead center about 12 rows back and the sound was excellent when Joe was playing an acoustic, but a little less crisp on some of the electric numbers. The vocals were loud and clear throughout. The guys played great as usual, but I think the laid back atmosphere prevented the show from being really explosive.
I liked "Ball Peen Hammer" as the opener. I also really loved hearing "One Of These Days" live and especially hearing a little bit of slide guitar again.
Great to see Jaci and Ken, and Roy again. I'm sure they'll have a lot more to add. Also great to meet Fretwork.
Well, I guess that's probably our last show for a while. But it's been a very good run. Seven shows on this tour and who knows how many miles traveled. Maybe I'll figure it out sometime.
Thanks to Joe, Bogie, Carmine, Rick and the whole crew for some great times! It's been a blast!

Re: The Grand Theater -Wausau - Nov. 6, 2007

I was there too.  Thanks for the set list.

I was right behind the keyboard player on stage.

I stood onstage and was amazed at how long you all waited for Joe to come out.

Mountain Time was my favorite

We started 15 mins after Crosby Finished....  I dont know what you mean by that?
Joe Bonamassa

Sorry, bad sentence.  The group of folks waiting for autographs.  After the show.

Nah, I thought the crew was really good actually.

Crosby was cool as heck, his show at the Mint is something I want to come out for.

I thought I might see a rumored packers jersey.

Sorry man.

No Worries.. I usually take about 25 mins before coming out..  Where were u Dino?

Different set to changed things up on my 3rd night of 3 shows.  This crowd was very polite. Probably had something to do with no alcohol in the venue.  Joe stood completely away from the mic on a portion of "Asking Around for You" and everyone could hear him. (or at least I could, about 10 rows back on the floor, dead center)

Joe's come a long way from playing a circus tent at the Blues festival in '04 to now this great venue. 

Recording appears to have come out great.

7 (edited by Dino 2007-11-07 10:23:00)

Joe,

I was the guy standing behind the keyboard player, stage left all night.

I talked to Crosby for about a half hour or so, it sounded like you had friends or family backstage, so I did not want to interrupt.

Big guy, grey dickies jacket.  I have a beard now.

Seriously man, you need to start talking to your trainer about some preventative stuff for the road.  I am sure, in LA, that he is going to know a homeopath.  I think I saw your rocking the the tea and stuff, but your at a differant level now, and you gotta care for the machine.

If you want, I can hook you up with Henry's throat doc out there in LA.  Your voice is so good, but your going so hard.  Cold weather countries are going to pound on you.

Get a good North Face fleece man as well.

Your on the big urban camping trip now, and you gotta play what amounts to a game of basketball every night.  You need to be warm.

I would also suggest Roy go get you a Clif Bar, or some such food deal.  Or maybe a water deal.  It helps with summer shows.

Was it a 335 you closed with?  That was the prettiest guitar of the night.

I am going to be in LA for a good chunk of time in January for an article, and thought I would like to see some west coast stuff.  I am staying in Silverlake with my friend Henry, but I think he is going to be gone.  You have the number, give me a call.

The show was awesome, post the review later today.

We were hanging around meeting and talking to each other -  not really expecting
Joe to come out.  Carmine came out and started talking to us and asked what I was
carrying - I had a picture of Joe from 2003 and a Vintage Guitar magazine .
Joe coming out was an unexpected treat and finally after carring this stuff around for
3 shows I got it signed - and already framed.  Thanks Joe.  Roy is in the shower right
now but will have alot more to add.  Dino - why didn't you come down and introduce
yourself.?  The Packer jersey was in the wash - replaced by a New York Yankees
jersey - yikes!!  Fantastic show again guys.
Jaci

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind.  Mick Jagger

Jaci,

To be honest I was really tired, and I needed to get my review done for the City Page last night at home.  I still do not have it done, and it is due in 15 minutes.

Hey, I did not even get to say hi to Joe.

I saw all the Central Wisconsin guitar players in the house though.

I think you guys were still in the lobby at like an hour after the show talking.

You all should organize meet ups and stuff.

I gotta get stuff done, damn the Bonamassa wave of distraction.

I loved seeing the huge **J O E   B O N A M A S S A** on the scrolling marquee of that old theater.  Now that was somethin'.  My favorite Joe show to date.

Roy, Lee, Jaci & Ken it was GREAT to meet you all!

"There is nothing to it.  You only have to hit the right notes at the right time and the instrument plays itself."---Johann Sebastian Bach

I am going to leave my thoughts about the show with this...when I listen I am left always with this idea that the road can go anywhere.  And I am NOT driving.

It is controlled brilliance.  Amazing in its onstage discipline.

I think that means. Tight band.

Very, Very nice.  One of These Days w/slide outro, hell yes.  I've been waiting for this to appear on a setlist.  How did it translate live, about the same length as the CD?

Dino wrote:

I am going to leave my thoughts about the show with this...when I listen I am left always with this idea that the road can go anywhere.  And I am NOT driving.

It is controlled brilliance.  Amazing in its onstage discipline.

That means a good review in City Pages, right Dino? smile  I want to talk to you about your thoughts about how it all went (offline - email me.)

You email me.

radiofreegeneral

at

gmail

dot

com

I do not know yours anymore

I guess I am going to dip my toe here, or jump in depending on how you see this.  But I will let you, and I suppose Joe know what I thought of the show.  I am totally stalling here, trying to decide if I really want to do it.  So, I am listening to Kanye Wests new single, and it is cleearly the record of the year.  Total grammy right therre.  Amazing record.

Alright.  So some things...I am going to do the writer thing, and refer to Joe as Bonamassa, to allow myself the critic distance thing okay?

Okay good.  Before we start.  I want to remind all of you, that I played 3 hours of Joe on a radio show, which was streamed on the internet, and some of you listened...and I was funny.  I want to remind you all, that one the front page of the City Pages the editor wrote The Best Guitarist in the world, in referring to Joe.  And I am not wearing any protective gear like a helmet or anything.

When seeing Bonamassa I am left thinking about the ocean or outer space.  Clearly Bonamassa has a differant idea for the guitar than a lot of other people do.  Tonight at the Grand we saw some of those ideas come forward.

The first thing you need to know now, Bonamassa is simply not a blues guy.  I think I only heard one shuffle during the whole night.  Saying this, while it might incite some, means nothing to me.  Saying Bonamassa is a blues guy is limiting a guy whos talent and hard work have clearly opened up a new vien of musical gold in the side of the mountain.  Bonamassa sought to create classical music moments of transcendant emotion, stepping away from the mic, symbolically stepping away from his band to go on a personal journey with the audience, driving the audience in a pastoral way to the musical heights he wants to take you to.

Bonamassa's drummer and bass player had the ability to make tremendous dynamic changes without so much as a glance, or any apparent verbal cueing from the bandleader.  Indicating a sort of musical ESP brought on by thousands of shows, and millions of hours playing together. 

I thought the most telling thing of the night was Crosby Loggins.  the musical significance of the first artist to sign to Joe's imprint being a poetic singer songwriter should not be missed.  Clearly the lyrical poetry of Crosby is mirrored in the poetic range of Bonamassa on a guitar.  Crosby is a wordsmit of a very high order, with a playful use of the words in his songs to create images and emotional response in people...something that Joe has taken on in his guitar playing.

Bonamassa seeks to paint pictures with tone, and some might not dig it.  Some might.

Very true Dino!  Joe is his own man, owned by no specific genre. I like his direction. It is very refreshing indeed!

~Rhonda

"I don't think obsessions have reasons, that's why they're obsessions....National Geographic likes their pictures in focus..." Robert Kincaid

I guess you liked it huh Dino. Just don't call that boy a blues boy. Different than the last show you saw I'm guessing. The new set to me is really bluesy. More so than past sets. It is just much more sophisticated than the blues you go see at an open jam night at the Anytown Blues Society.

So often musicians play the blues because it is simple enough for the average musician to have fun with. Some below average musicians can even gig playing the blues. They can justify there ineptness by claiming to be authentic.

What I like about Joe is he is a musician's musician with the ability to play any kind of music he wants he just chooses the blues. He just don't play it like people have ever seen before. I think I'll drive up to Wichita and see what hue he is painting the blues tomorrow.