Topic: PBS series "The War" and a personal tribute

I've been watching this series by Ken Burns. It is different because it focuses on soldier's stories and perpectives. They are aging and soon their stories will be lost. If you go to the PBS site, the Library of Congress has a free interview kit. I urge you to use one if there is anyone in your family who fought. The shows have driven home how HORRIBLE war is!!! On a personal level..My father was a real man's man. In the late 30's he left Maryland and went to Alaska to homestead and survey. He and his brother had begun the first airplane club at home so he was a pilot. As WW11 was ramping up it was determined that winter operations would be needed to prepare for spring invasions..thus the formation of the First Special Service Force, a joint Canadian/American operation. "The Devil's Brigade" is about them. My father joined this unit in Alaska. He was awarded the Silver Star for his actions in Italy. He was Captain of the 3rd Regimine, 6th Batallion. He would never talk about the war and died when I was 18. I think I have a much better idea of why because of this series! History can be tough to look at but it's necessary!! Here's to you Dad....Cathy

Re: PBS series "The War" and a personal tribute

Jane, This is as much a "Asking Around For You" story as it can get. If you watched the shows, they were stories of horrible things that had to be done to survive. I know it sounds weird, but they were stories of the human spirit. Most of them were just scared boys...It was also about letting go of hate and anger, being thankful for the life you got to have when so many died....And, finally, it was about these people talking about what happened to them for the first time. History books are already out there from this era. I want every resource included in my grandchildrens history books. Now, I have to go for a root canal...Cathy

Anything else that may evoke passions..hmm. SPORTS?!

Being a History Channel addict and a fan of everything Ken Burns has done. I started watching the PBS presentation of The War. What a historian. Nothing political in the way the documentary was presented. Don't think Kathy is being political by mentioning it here.

We all grew up with movies with World War II as subject matter but none let you know what it was like to live in the US while it was going on. Our parents and grandparents talked about rationing and how they dealt with the hardships. This showed what it was like. No poitical commenttary whatsoever.

If someone mentioned Ken Burns Civil War documentary I wouldn't think they were advocating slavery or wanting to discuss Civil rights.

Anybody see Ken Burns Baseball? Every fan should make a point to watch it. If anybody wants to know what I want for Christmas. The DVD box set of any of these would be nice.

I really like the series.

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Ah Cathy, were to much alike. I havent seen the series but should, I'm addicted to history, cant get enough of the history channel. Sounds like your father was a good man, glad this brings you closer to him in a way you probably did not expect. And if it's done by Ken Burns, I'm sure the research was closely documented. I have the set on "the history of baseball" that Ken did about 10 years ago, it's fantastic!

Shred