Topic: Open F Tuning for The River Live ?

Hi all... Im  new to this forum.. I got a question about the tuning for the river live...   Joes using open F.. Im wanting to use this tuning but am worried about damaging my guitars by tuning up.. I use 10 - 52 strings and im guessing by the tone Joe is using pretty heavy strings too ?
Am I safe to tune up to F with these strings ?  I really dont want to try till I get some opinions ?   Ive tried using open E with a capo and it just gets in the way ?
This looks like a great forum for a Great player ! 
Regards
Ben

Re: Open F Tuning for The River Live ?

First off, Welcome to the Board!

Joe uses .11 Dean Markleys... Ive tuned up to an F before with .11's on my guitars and it didnt' do anything... it might take a while for the neck to adjust back to standard tuning, but you shouldn't have too much of a problem... that being said- if you're going to play The River a lot you might want to invest in a cheap guitar that you can throw into any tuning youd like and not have to worry about it....

Scott

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

3 (edited by NPB_EST.1979 2007-09-20 11:41:01)

Take a look at your action after you do it.  A half step higher shouldnt hurt.

If you dig Joe's Chandler ElectraSlide, those pop up on ebay every now and then too...

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Thanks...    I have a selection of guitars .. But justed wanted to know if was safe to tune up .. I will proberly use a SG I have..  Thanks for the replys