1 (edited by Curby 2024-01-23 18:23:07)

Topic: Best Led Zeppelin Album

It was Christmas 1968 and my older brother came home from Regis College in Denver, Colorado.  A few weeks earlier he saw Zeppelin play and picked up their first album on vinyl.  First thing he did after greeting Mom and Dad was to go down to the basement to listen to his new find.  About three chords into the first song I had to pick my jaw off the floor.  I had never heard music played so powerfully.  It was a life changing moment.
I helped him pack for his return to school and switched his album with a Todd Rundgren Nazz album.  He called Mom as soon as he got back to Colorado.  He never gave back my Nazz album.  The album wasn't released in the U.S. until a couple months later.
In those days my brother was my biggest influence finding new music.  As I got older the script changed.  Like the Beatles I can't think of one bad album they released.  Back in those days bands album releases were events.  Led Zeppelin led the charge for a new sound never heard before.

Re: Best Led Zeppelin Album

No discussion - Physical Graffiti - 'nuff said.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

3 (edited by Curby 2024-01-24 22:35:59)

BansheeUK wrote:

No discussion - Physical Graffiti - 'nuff said.

I like the first album because it was a new sound explosion.  Zep's run of awesome albums pretty much ended with Physical Graffiti.  A double album with no filler that I can hear.  My faves were "Ten Years Gone", "Down By the Seaside", "Black Country Woman" and oddly my favorite, "Boogie With Stu".  An impromptu remake of Richie Valens's "Ooh My Head" with the 6th Rolling Stone, Ian Stewart.  That's Plant on guitar, Page on mandolin and Stu playing an out of tune piano.  Really good stuff!

https://youtu.be/_wCZOm0k8WQ?si=DPelbWPSlioD0ins

Its a hard choice.
But I too usually pick Physical Graffiti
As my favorite.
And I agree after it things were never as good. Not bad but  not at the same level.

I can see if you heard the first album when it  was first released how impactful it would have been.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky