Topic: Blues Deluxe Vol. 2 Coming 6 October, 2023

Twenty years since the release of his best-selling album "Blues Deluxe", which celebrated what the U.S. government had declared "the year of the blues" with a mix of originals and reinterpretations of classic songs, Joe Bonamassa is taking stock of how far he and the genre have come with "Blues Deluxe Vol. 2", out October 6 via J&R Adventures. Featuring two new originals and eight new covers spanning some of the most important names in the blues — from Bobby "Blue" Bland and Peter Green's FLEETWOOD MAC to Albert King — "Blues Deluxe 2" finds Bonamassa returning to his roots and giving new life to the classic tracks that have informed his own artistry.

"If you had told me 20 years ago my career would last long enough to see the 20th anniversary of this little record called 'Blues Deluxe', I'm sure I would have laughed," Bonamassa reflects. "'Blues Deluxe' was my last shot after being dropped by two major record labels and my booking agent. It was then that my manager, Roy Weisman, had his first 'all-in' moment. We would go back into the studio and record. A record that would hopefully define the direction of whatever future career I might have.

On 'Blues Deluxe Vol. 2', I asked my great friend Josh Smith to produce a record to be a companion to the anniversary edition of the first album, and hopefully demonstrate a bit of how I have progressed over the last 20 years," Bonamassa adds. "The contrast between a cocky 26-year-old and an established 46-year-old is considerable. Does the fire still burn like it did? Am I still playing hungry? Am I even good enough to pay tribute to my heroes all over again? The answer lies somewhere in this album."

Smith states: "When Joe asked me to produce 'Blues Deluxe Vol. 2', I knew immediately what I wanted to accomplish. I wanted the fans to hear the completely natural, relaxed Joe that I hear when we are just goofing around playing guitars. He really was in the moment and feeling completely supported and I know that he really 'went for it' on everything."

To mark the announcement, Bonamassa has released the album's latest single, "Twenty-Four Hour Blues", a blistering reinterpretation of Bobby "Blue" Bland's classic track, featured on one of Bonamassa's favorite albums of all time, "Dreamer". The new version features one of Bonamassa's best-ever vocals and guitar solos. "The outro guitar solo is incredible," Smith comments. "It happened live on the floor and has some deep lines you've probably never heard Joe play before. The band is absolutely smoking, and Calvin Turner did an incredible string and horn arrangement. Super proud of this one."

"Part of my approach to these new recordings was that I wanted to see if I had matured musically over the years, and if I had gotten better as a player," Bonamassa says. "I'm happy to say that I am a much better singer than I was 20 years ago — though I still don't really consider myself to be a legit 'singer,' I can now carry a tune a little better than I could back then."

The announcement of "Blues Deluxe Vol. 2" follows the release of the album's lead single "I Want To Shout About It", originally performed by RONNIE EARL AND THE BROADCASTERS. Bonamassa's joyful version features solos from Reese Wynans on organ and Paulie Cerra on sax, as well as some killer adlibs from vocalists Dannielle DeAndrea and Charles Jones as the track winds to a close.

"'Shout About It' is a song originally by the great RONNIE EARL AND THE BROADCASTERS with Darrel Nullisch on vocals," Smith adds. "It's a tough/high song to sing and Joe really pushed himself and nailed it. It's a real rave up, a party song. Joe has been playing it live lately and the crowds are really digging it!"

Featuring Reese Wynans (keys),Calvin Turner (bass),Lamar Carter (drums),Kirk Fletcher (guitar) and Smith (guitar),additional highlights from "Blues Deluxe Vol. 2" include Guitar Slim's "Well, I Done Got Over It", Bobby Parker's "It's Hard But It's Fair" and "Is It Safe To Go Home", a new track written for Joe by Smith.

I knew I wanted to push him really hard vocally," Smith adds. "I'd heard him sing things just messing around or when we'd be producing for other artists that I'd never heard him do on record. So the songs were both chosen and written with that in mind. If you listen to the vocals on "Twenty-Four Hour Blues" and "Is It Safe To Go Home", you'll hear Joe really going for it."

Having just earned a remarkable 26th No. 1 on the Billboard Blues chart for his sprawling and extensive live concert film and album "Tales Of Time", Bonamassa is heading to Europe for three weeks of festival performances, before returning to the U.S. for a string of summer dates. The summer run will include Bonamassa's debut appearance at Hollywood Bowl on Wednesday, August 9, with an exclusive, one-night-only concert experience alongside an orchestra, which will be recorded for his next live concert film. Then the hardest working bluesman in show business begins his U.S. fall tour on October 23 at The Cannon Center in Memphis, Tennessee, which will take him from coast to coast to end at the guitar-shaped Hard Rock Live in Hollywood, Florida.

Blues Deluxe Vol. 2" track listing:

01. Twenty-Four Hour Blues (originally performed by Bobby "Blue" Bland)
02. It's Hard But It's Fair (originally performed by Bobby Parker)
03. Well, I Done Got Over It (originally performed by Guitar Slim)
04. I Want to Shout About It (originally performed by RONNIE EARLE & THE BROADCASTERS)
05. Win-O (originally performed by Pee Wee Crayton)
06. Hope You Realize It (Goodbye Again) (original song written by Joe Bonamassa & Tom Hambridge)
07. Lazy Poker Blues (originally performed by FLEETWOOD MAC)
08. You Sure Drive A Hard Bargain (originally performed by Albert King)
09. The Truth Hurts (feat. Kirk Fletcher and Josh Smith) (originally performed by Kenny Neal)
10. Is It Safe To Go Home (original song written by Josh Smith)

Re: Blues Deluxe Vol. 2 Coming 6 October, 2023

Twenty-Four Hour Blues  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKH_jK_9TF8

A little underwhelmed by the new song. As Joe once said in his interview, he knows what his fans want and he gives them what they want, but this song feels tired, trying too hard to be catchy. Sounds like Different Shades of Blue divided by one hundred. Joe's singing and guitar playing are superb though, as always.

3 (edited by DougH 2023-06-17 08:22:31)

@reo1. What “I woke up this morning and my baby left me”.
Ha ha old tired blues lyrics

(Ok his doesn’t quite put it in those exact words but close enough)

Lots of room for a 10min solo though

Every morning when I wake up
Lord, I cry a pool of tears
Seven days now, since you left me
Well, it seems like seven years

Loneliness keeps hanging around my door
An unwanted friend I can't lose
Every day the same dog-gone thing
Twenty-four hour blues

Lonely minutes turn into hours
I keep waiting by the telephone
But you don't call me, I guess I'll be
Spending another sleepless night alone

I can't seem to get myself together
Without you it's all bad news
Twenty-four hour blues

If you don't hurry on back to me
Then I have nothing left to lose
Just these four gray walls
Twenty-four hour blues

Twenty-four hour blues

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

The platinum collection has 2 cds.
It says one is a remaster. Does anyone know why you would have both? I cant say I have seen a remaster on a new release but maybe I just haven't noticed. And what is the difference?

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

gary wrote:

It says one is a remaster. Does anyone know why you would have both? I cant say I have seen a remaster on a new release but maybe I just haven't noticed. And what is the difference?

Some deluxe versions have the original Blues Deluxe album remastered, I guess this one is the same?

According to the Mascot Label Group website, a remastered edition of Blues Deluxe (vol 1) will be released on CD and vinyl on the same day as BD2.

Tigerbob68 wrote:
gary wrote:

Some deluxe versions have the original Blues Deluxe album remastered, I guess this one is the same?

Ok that makes sense maybe I did not catch it was for the first one

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

new song:

"Well, I Done Got Over It"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxujU3KQEtA

I wonder who picked the covers, that went into this album, Joe himself or Joe and advisers.

Meh.. the new ‘country blues rock’ song doesn’t do it for me.. and the companion video doesn’t seem to match.. except the country blues rock style

---------------

What do we have so far:

Well, I Done Got Over It  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxujU3KQEtA
Lazy Poker Blues  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDGeI4tI8Ao

Sad to see that the whole group of smart people with great taste putting out this questionable product. Does Joe have any say in it any more? Or is it all about money now. Blues of Corporation...

Maybe it’s the very poorly produced “MTV” videos for these songs
Just a shame they can’t do better,

Doesn’t seem to have anything in relation to Blues Deluxe except for the name
Seems simple country rock to me,
I’ll have to re-listen without looking at the videos
Sad

reo l wrote:

What do we have so far:

Sad to see that the whole group of smart people with great taste putting out this questionable product. Does Joe have any say in it any more? Or is it all about money now. Blues of Corporation...

---------------

DougH wrote:

Meh.. the new ‘country blues rock’ song doesn’t do it for me.. and the companion video doesn’t seem to match.. except the country blues rock style

Could not agree more, why does he put out these videos, they make me cringe

13 (edited by Lester 2023-08-19 13:54:55)

reo l wrote:

What do we have so far:

I calculate this will be Joe’s 34th solo album (including live sets).
Sometimes quality outweighs quantity, although perhaps not in the world of J&R.

Kathytake2 wrote:
DougH wrote:

Could not agree more, why does he put out these videos, they make me cringe

Caught the video via YouTube last night; doesn't sell me... song's catchy enough though.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Lester wrote:
reo l wrote:

What do we have so far:

I calculate this will be Joe’s 34th solo album (including live sets).
Sometimes quality outweighs quantity, although perhaps not in the world of J&R.

I'd put Joe's prolific work rate down to some "Crossraods deal" he must have made. Must have been a good one though, usually you get between 7 & 10 years.... must have had a big bag of Goofer dust.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

16 (edited by reo l 2023-09-08 18:03:11)

New song - "Hope You Realize It (Goodbye Again)" - nice guitar solo, upbeat tune. No comments (kind ones) on lyrics and video. Trying to be positive about this album, but it is difficult. Joe is not being himself here. Wonder what's going on in his life to cause it.

@reo certainly does not sound like a Blue Deluxe 2. sad

---------------

18 (edited by Juice night 2023-09-16 20:51:53)

a Blue Deluxe 2

I like it аBlues Deluxe2, there is space for improvisation in the middle of the track..!

«Hope you realize it» echo “Evil mama” therefore (Goodbye again) exciting wink

Chorus 2:55’-3:12’  Joe sings along with Jay?
Joe, cool song, bravo!