Topic: The Winery Dogs

WHAT!!!!! No dedicated thread????  A band made up of legends Mike Portnoy, Richie Kotzen and Billy Sheehan.

UK dares for 2023: -

June 2023
JUN 16 FRI  Wolverhampton, KK's Steel Mill
JUN 17 SAT  Nottingham, Rock City
JUN 18 SUN  London, O2 Shepherd's Bush Empire
I believe Jarrod James Nichols is support for this leg...

OCT 03 TUE  Newcastle upon Tyne, Riverside Newcastle
OCT 04 WED  Glasgow, The Garage
OCT 06 FRI  Manchester Academy
OCT 07 SAT  Bristol, Motion & The Marble Factory
OCT 08 SUN  Norwich, Epic Studios

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Re: The Winery Dogs

Newcastle Riverside - 3rd October  2023

That was definitely one for the memoirs, three bona-fide legends in one band; the biggest explosion on the Quayside since the fire of 1854. Winery Dogs hit 'toon last night and when you get the likes of Ritchie Kotzen, Billy Sheehan & Mike Portnoy on the same stage, good things are going to happen.

Firstly though, must give a nod to the evening's support, a young band from S.Wales, Scarlet Rebel who had hit the stage by the time we'd entered the venue. Solid sounding band that wore their 1980s influences on their sleeve: they did make one error though, in a new city, don't irk your audience; things suddenly cooled at one point in their set after a comment to the audience. At least they managed to recover, but almost undid their, till then, good work.

I've been wanting to catch these guys individually since the broke onto the music scene *cough* years ago and truly, was not disappointed: not only do they still sound (and look) as good as they did, but they are still extending their respective crafts. Sheehan in particular, strode the stage not unlike Erling Haarland in the opposition's goal mouth, firing out tremendous rhythmic bass, with those fantastic hot runs, reminiscent of the days with Dave Lee Roth. As for Kotzen, what a guitar-slinger he's turned out to be; there were flashes even back in the Poison and early Mr Big days, but now he's really up there with the Vais and Satrianis but the guy has a good voice too... And what can be said about "mighty" Mike Portnoy that hasn't been said before? And the best thing about this band; no egos on stage, they don't compete with each other as much as compliment and push each other to push that bit further.

Set list for the evening? I think went something like: - Gaslight; Xanadu; Captain Love; Hot Streak; Desire; Breakthrough; Time Machine; Stars; Damaged; The Other Side (incl. Drum Solo before the intro); Bass Solo; The Red Wine; I'm No Angel; Oblivion
Encore: Regret (Richie Kotzen on piano until… more ); Elevate

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...