Topic: The Cinelli Brothers

So here's a new thread about a relatively new band that, since we came out of isolation to gig again, have been taking the Uk by storm; The Cinelli Brothers. They came to the surface about 2017-18 with a debut album, Baby Please Set Your Alarm, that I know at the time at least pinged Tres' ears. At the time, I made a couple of attempts to catch them, but each time was thwarted, then we all know what happened between 2020 & 2021.

Anyway, if you can't remember that far back, let's just pause and catch up on who these guys are, and what they're about. The Cinelli Brothers is a project born out of a common passion for the electric Chicago and Texas blues from the 60s and 70s, when brothers Marco (guitarist and lead singer) and Alessandro (drummer) decided to form an explosive team showcasing original repertoire in the style of Chess, Stax and Motown. Joining the two brothers on stage, Tom Julian-Jones on harmonica, guitar and vocals and Stephen Giry on bass, guitar and vocals. Since then, they've released 2 further albums, Villa Jukebox, a "home recorded" project in 2021, and in May this year, they released their 3rd album, No Country For Bluesmen, which is a collection of collaborations with other Uk Blues acts.

And that's the story so far, no for the "Live" experience, which finally happened last night at one of my favourite venues.

Darlington Forum - 11-11-22

Once again, the diary was bulging for tasty gigs in the region, so it was very gratifying that Darlington Blues Club managed their largest and capacity crowd for The Cinelli Brothers who in 2022 appear to be the hottest ticket in town, on the Blues circuit. Have to say, with their blend of the contemporary mixed with their love of vintage Chicago Chess and Stax sound, there's a lot to please the ear. Not only, but it seems that each member of the band is a multi-faceted musician. Take Marco Cinelli, strong vocalist, not only has Steve Cropper's style on guitar nailed, but could give Brooker T a run on keyboards, then he can nip across the stage and take on bass duties. Close behind comes Tom Julian-Jones, another fine singer & guitarist as well as a fine harp blower. Not being outdone, Stephen Giry provides fine bass-lines, but can burn the frets off an old Telecaster when called on, as well as back-up vocals. The only guy who appeared to stay put through the evening was Alessandro Cinelli behind the drums, though again, a fine voice and it wouldn't surprise me if he was a virtuoso bagpipe player. This is a band that is seriously, insanely talented.

So, with 3 albums now under their belts, the set was a fine mix of self-penned and covers, the latter including a fine blast of Paul Butterfield, which is a rare treat these days and a slight left field with a cover of JJ Cale's Call Me The Breeze, which was rocked up a bit, to the point that at the breakdown, it almost teetered into Highway Star - very clever.

However, for some reason I couldn't settle into the evening. yes, they were good, really, really good, but I think with all the swapping round between who was fronting and who was playing what, I kind of lost focus. It was like watching 2 or 3 bands simultaneously, albeit very good bands. While I can't take anything away from them, I can't see the big attraction. Maybe you in the US will, next year when they represent the country in the Blues Challenge in Nashville

To put it in a comfortable car analogy, I think about Lancia cars of the 1960s & 70s: stylish, classy and very innovative; while I enjoyed the test-drive, I couldn't live with one.

From Carlisle Blues festival October 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-mcAvHQ81w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCDPrZ7q6_8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5na9ANdVrs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvSZ_-v1J_8  (with Redfish band)

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

2 (edited by BansheeUK 2022-12-09 16:08:45)

Re: The Cinelli Brothers

Busy times agead for The Cinelli Brothers in 2023; International Blues Challenge; European Blues Challenge and a slot on Joe's mediterranean Blues Cruise.

Looks like there'll be a new Cinelli Brothers album around the end of September. You can make an advance pre-order by going on their crowdfunding campaign to help send them to Memphis for the International Blues Challenge at the end of January.

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/p/cinelli … w8vF4DKjtk

BansheeUK wrote:

Busy times agead for The Cinelli Brothers in 2023; International Blues Challenge; European Blues Challenge and a slot on Joe's mediterranean Blues Cruise.

Looks like there'll be a new Cinelli Brothers album around the end of September. You can make an advance pre-order by going on their crowdfunding campaign to help send them to Memphis for the International Blues Challenge at the end of January.

The lads have passed the half-way point in their fund raising, but there's still 28 days to go to show a bit support.

Well, the lads made it to Memphis and I've heard via social media from promoter friend Linda V who's with the band that they made it through the Blues Challenge quarter finals last night.

(What's Italian for "Woo-Hoo!"?)

BansheeUK wrote:

Well, the lads made it to Memphis and I've heard via social media from promoter friend Linda V who's with the band that they made it through the Blues Challenge quarter finals last night.

Now they're through to the semi finals, and from Linda's account, they are on fire!

BansheeUK wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

Now they're through to the semi finals, and from Linda's account, they are on fire!

In the FINAL tonight..

BansheeUK wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

In the FINAL tonight..

Runners Up.   The lads dreamed big amd almost pulled it off.  Congrats to eventual winner Matthias Lattin. Bet we hear more of him through the year.

Newcastle Cluny - 11 - 11 - 23

Wow - a year to the day since last time, different venue though....

So, where better to spend a Saturday night in Newcastle, other than at The Cluny, especially when The Cinelli Brothers are back in town: and this time they've brought a friend - Alice Armstrong.  The result - a night of music, hotter than a Bigg Market curry....

I don't know if Alice has played Newcastle before, either with her own band or with Stevie Watts, who flew the keyboard this evening, but she is most certainly welcome back on the strength of this evening's showing. She definitely has the "Aretha Franklin" nailed, and also had member of The Cinelli's accompanying throughout her set, as well as having Steven Geary standing in on Bass for the night. I know she did this year's Blues cruise, but if you don't know the name, then check her out...

As for the main-men; what can be said about these guys that hasn't been overused already? Great harmonies, outstanding [multi]musicianship and even better tunes that held the room throughout the set. Compared to last time I saw the guys, I thought this set was a bit more of a slow-burner; more intense, though when they let it all rip, WOW!!!!
Couple of excellent covers in the set, Steven Geary taking the lead on Rory Gallagher's A Million Miles Away and a rollicking encore of AC/DC's Rocker. Such a well-judged and executed performance by what's surely the band-of-the-decade; I know there's a new album hurtling down the pipeline, but I sincerely hope there's a Live album soon, to chart how HOT this band is...

If you good folks on t'other side of the pond want to experience what I've been banging on about, Marco, Alessandro, Tom & Steven are touring for the first time in the US, December '23 through to January 2024: -

Dec 13th - Villages Blues festival; Wildwood, FL
Dec 14th - The Alley; Sanford, FL
Dec 15th - Rhythm Room; Phoenix, AZ
Dec 16th - Matt Denny's Ale House; Arcadia, CA
Dec 17th - Malainey's Grill; Long Beach, CA
Dec 18th - Maui Sugar Mill Saloon; Tarzana. CA
Dec 19th - Coomber Craft Wines; Oceanside. CA

Jan 27th - The Cutting Room; New York. NY

Just remember, we need them back....

BansheeUK wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

Busy times agead for The Cinelli Brothers in 2023; International Blues Challenge; European Blues Challenge and a slot on Joe's Mediterranean Blues Cruise.

The lads have passed the half-way point in their fund raising, but there's still 28 days to go to show a bit support.

Album release date announced for 27th January 2024 and with a New York launch show....