1 (edited by BansheeUK 2022-08-13 06:36:52)

Topic: His Lordship

One of [my] best "finds" of 2022 so far, (see Next Gig thread..) thought it was about time they had their own dedicated thread as they're rolling along like a juggernaut...

Just got hold of their 2nd EP - All Cranked UP which follows roughly the template of it's predecessor except that the 6 tracks are all original Walbourne & Sonne numbers. I'd get in quick though if you want a copy, like the 1st EP, only 500 have been made; partly why I bent my vinyl prohibitions...

Also, just been announced that they are supporting Jason Isbell's European tour in the Autumn (Fall).

And here's proof that in a pressure-cooker of a gig, even the best can drop the occasional clanger:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM1A4GD6sck

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Re: His Lordship

BansheeUK wrote:

One of [my] best "finds" of 2022 so far, (see Next Gig thread..) thought it was about time they had their own dedicated thread as they're rolling along like a juggernaut...

Just got hold of their 2nd EP - All Cranked UP which follows roughly the template of it's predecessor except that the 6 tracks are all original Walbourne & Sonne numbers. I'd get in quick though if you want a copy, like the 1st EP, only 500 have been made; partly why I bent my vinyl prohibitions...

Also, just been announced that they are supporting Jason Isbell's European tour in the Autumn (Fall).

And here's proof that in a pressure-cooker of a gig, even the best can drop the occasional clanger:-

I liked the clanger..reminds me we’re just human after all.  James reminds me more and more of Dave Edmunds in his prime.
I will investigate the new EP and yes HL is the real deal.

3 (edited by BansheeUK 2022-08-15 08:46:26)

Curby wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

I liked the clanger..reminds me we’re just human after all.  James reminds me more and more of Dave Edmunds in his prime.
I will investigate the new EP and yes HL is the real deal.

Full agreement with the Dave Edmunds comparisons; one of the most overlooked guitarists this side of the pond.

And anyone who name-checks Duane Eddy deserves a pint at the bar... Interestingly, Duane Eddy did play on The Pretenders' Alone album back in 2016: produced by Dan Auerbach, it was originally slated as Chrissie Hynde's follow-up solo album (to Stockholm), so there's a bit of a cycle there...

UK Spring 2023 tour announced for His Lordship: -

Wed 29 Mar - Bristol - The Louisiana
Fri 31 Mar - Manchester - Gullivers NQ
Sat 1 Apr - Newcastle - The Cluny
Sun 2 Apr - Edinburgh - The Caves
Tue 4 Apr - Glasgow - Stereo
Wed 5 Apr - Hebden Bridge - The Trades Club
Thu 6 Apr - Middlesbrough - Westgarth Social Club
Sat 8 Apr - Birmingham - The Night Owl
Tue 11 Apr - Cardiff - Clwb Ifor Bach
Thu 13 Apr - London - Lafayette
Fri 14 Apr - Norwich - Norwich Arts Centre
Sat 15 Apr - Brighton - The Prince Albert

Also, their 2 12" EPs have been combined onto CD, Rock'n'Roll Is Not For Everyone; £10 + p&p from website

BansheeUK wrote:

UK Spring 2023 tour announced for His Lordship: -

Wed 29 Mar - Bristol - The Louisiana
Fri 31 Mar - Manchester - Gullivers NQ
Sat 1 Apr - Newcastle - The Cluny
Sun 2 Apr - Edinburgh - The Caves
Tue 4 Apr - Glasgow - Stereo
Wed 5 Apr - Hebden Bridge - The Trades Club
Thu 6 Apr - Middlesbrough - Westgarth Social Club
Sat 8 Apr - Birmingham - The Night Owl
Tue 11 Apr - Cardiff - Clwb Ifor Bach
Thu 13 Apr - London - Lafayette
Fri 14 Apr - Norwich - Norwich Arts Centre
Sat 15 Apr - Brighton - The Prince Albert

Also, their 2 12" EPs have been combined onto CD, Rock'n'Roll Is Not For Everyone; £10 + p&p from website

Following the closure of Middlesbrough's Westgarth Social Club, the gig has been moved a few miles across the Tees to Stockton's NE Volume Bar - check with venue about pre-purchased tickets.

Newcastle; Cluny - 1/4/23

Wowsers!!! That clears the wax out the ears.... 2nd time around for His Lordship, and this time they got the big room to play in, Actually, it's their 2nd time in there as they are the same band that backed "her ladyship" Chrissie Hynde on the recent Pretender's Independent venues tour - just twice as fast and twice as loud...

Anyway, starting the evening were a band with the unwieldly handle of Bruno & the Outrageous Method of Presentation. Fronted by the eponymous Bruno who projected a mix, part Wilko Johnson, part Joey Ramone, part Jilted John, all topped off with Lou reed's curly hair & sunglasses: just a shame they weren't the right parts. It was one of those sets that seemed to be getting better the closer it got to the end, but damn, you forget how many 2 minute songs you can squeeze into a 35 min set, especially when you don't take time between to tune, engage with your audience, other than the obligatory "1,2,3,4" (at double time), I can't say that the backing band were bad, they were really competent, and to be fair, there were a few songs getting there, but the highlight for me was about 20 minutes in when Bruno's sunglasses slide down his face and tried to gag him, before giving up and diving floorward to escape.

Now, if you are going to cut some shapes with guitar and project serious attitude, James Walbourne is the guy to watch. This band is like watching a rebirth of Link Wray and Gene Vincent via The MC5, with the guitar flashes of old Dave Edmunds, Kristoffer Sonne, "partner-in-cheap suit" on the drums is a tribal animal and this time round they've turned up the bass guy. If there is a fault, you could say it's the shortness of the set, but hey, you see the energy these guys put into that 60 minutes; you ain't getting slow ballads here; but there was the scorching new single, Buzzkill.

You really need to catch these guys while they're the coolest, hot ticket.

If you want some rock'n'roll in it's purest form....

His Lordship - Autumn 2023 UK Tour: -

8/11 - Glasgow: Room 2
10/11 - Manchester: Deaf Institute
12/11 - Leeds: Key Club
13/11 - Bristol: Exchange
14/11 - Nottingham: Bodega
15/11 - Brighton: Hope & Ruin
17/11 - London: Garage