Re: Joe's current band

I think much of it is matter of opinion / taste.
I really dig the theramin. If he played it on lots of songs maybe it would get old but it fits great with the songs he plays it on. And glad to have those particular songs played live.
I have my preferences but as long as Joe is happy and it works for him....
I had wondered a time or two how much the setlist was because he was touring with the horns and singers etc.
i was kind of excited when he was doing the power trio thing last year but then added Jade last minute. that really worked for me because it enhanced the set in spots but wasn't back up for every song. But if the horns and more singers and keys, well it would have been a very different set.
I have also wondered so many other things like well if Carmine had joined the band at a different time would he have played differently. Like after Kenny and Eric it was said more than what seemed like a zillion times how bass is to support the band not a showcase...to make the clear difference in how Joe's live show was with the previous bass player. Same with Bogie. I felt like them most especially but also Michael Rhodes at first...weren't used to their full potential IMHO. It was so awesome when Michael was allowed to kick the heavy up a couple notches. etc. etc.
and IDK I love Reese and his playing but I liked Joe's music just fine without keys.
I also had gotten attached to Anton's playing. It took me a while at first but then the first show without him wow different. That being said, as much as i liked him and Tal (the only Joe band member my husband really really preferred) i never felt like their groove was the best match for Joe's. I felt many times that Joe even adjusted to Anton's playing. Nothing wrong with that and maybe all in my head. I guess what i am saying is even the greatest musicians don't necessarily go with other musicians the best. IMHO

When i buy  a Joe ticket I learned to expect whatever show Joe brings to town. I wouldn't prefer he make it an unannounced acoustic only but if that happened i'm sure it would still be awesome.
anyway i get that we all have different preferences etc. but surprised the theramin isn't enjoyed by all. go figure big_smile

Hello Jane!

I really appreciate your posts because you bring a rich historical element to your opinions.  Thank you! Of course musical taste is going to vary from fan to fan and I am good with that fact.  I guess we all have our differences which tend to disappear the moment the band kicks in and the show begins.

I doubt I'll ever change my distaste for the theremin.  I have a simple rule I tend to follow - I find it hard to appreciate a performance where I feel I could "play" the featured "instrument"...SMILE.

Stu

Such an emotional subject this is! I don't mean to incessantly rag on the band. It's not like I'm out there running around writing songs and performing! But I, too, definitely have my preferences as far as the band goes. Since my last post, I did some Instagram stalking on Dannielle's page. I do like the way she sings and am continuing to keep an open mind in regards to Saturday's gig. Now I just have to decide which t-shirt to wear!

I shall report back once I'm back home from the trip.

Peace, Love and Light, Forum Friends!

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

DougH wrote:

I've always wondered though...

How "amicable " are the changes

Whether they're Gilmore vs Waters or Rik Emmett vs Triumph..
Or are they "still" friends

The only band member I recall giving an explanation was Bogie, who I believe left to complete his education and spend more time with his family. However the writing was on the wall when Joe brought in Anton as an additional drummer for RAH1.

Lester

I too like Jane have no issue with the theremin. I have enjoyed it in the show.
As long as its used sparingly I do like it.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Oh yeah...I did like the two drums on Happier Times on the RAH dvd but i did not really care for the bringing Anton in for that gig. I mean I was a big fan of Bogie....and like I said I did gain a great appreciation for Anton but there is an almost cringe worthy moment in the dvd for me where idk how to say...its just the one moment in the one song but for me everytime watching the dvd i just thought why why why and also oh no what's gonna happen to Bogie cause why why why would they add Anton to this big_smile

And I didn't think you or anyone else are ragging on the band Barbie. Its interesting to hear the various opinions and expectations. I have enjoyed every Joe show but I'm still in it with hopes of more frequent harder rock from Joe big_smile and every band change is evaluated in my head with that in mind

but i'm still always going to say whatever makes Joe happiest is what I wish for him to do.
Deciding on tickets though, its a factor. Like right now, I'm still not going to many shows or public type outings but with a couple shows in March i could make work with some effort and schedule arrangement, I wasn't considering until recently when I thought I'd go more out of my way if I knew Pain and Sorrow - Or Ballad of John Henry etc were in the set.

And I'm still sad a bit Joe ever added horns. One of my favorite Bonabuddies from many moons ago always said he was done if Joe added brass.
Well Joe did and I've not heard from David since. David where are you?????? I miss talking about non Joe stuff with you!!! and Wish you well!!! I thought maybe BCC would bring him back but no such luck

blahblahblah

25 (edited by DougH 2022-03-02 21:22:07)

well J&R hasn't scheduled anything for Canada.. our borders are still not fully open and we just allowed full venues on Mar 1.
_2022.
but looking at Joe's ticket prices in the USA and seeing probably a $170 floor ticket plus service charges..
I can almost say for certain.. I'm 'priced out' of the game

and I won't sit in the  last row of a balcony for $120

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

BarbieD wrote:

I've struggled for years since the backup singers became full time but Lee and Paulie, and Anton and Reese, kept me going. Now they are gone. I saw the band last fall and there was no chemistry or fun being had on the stage that I could see. My bestie walked out before that show ended but I endured it till the end. I'm still scratching my head over Josh Smith and the return of the fricking Theremin. My friend invited me down to Greenville for the show there in early March. I'm going and trying to keep an open mind. Might be my last. But I've had a good run and a ton of fun over the last 10 years. If Joe's schtick now is to be an "entertainer" rather than a "musician," then so be it. Maybe he can be next year's Super Bowl half time show. roll

Funny you say this as my wife and I both felt the same way after seeing him last fall.
We had wonderful seats, right up front and really costly. The show was lifeless for a JB show...I mean Joe was not, but not even he could make up for everything.

The drummer was , well, just lifeless and the whole band lacked the fun factor that has always been there ever since we have been going to shows.

A couple of months later we saw Samantha Fish and the amount of fun and emotion that band left on stage was far more than our last JB show. My wife and I both agreed that if we do go back and see Joe again, that it won't be for those kind of ticket prices.

I still love Joe, but the shows are getting to be more of a let down than i had ever anticipated.

My Favorite Bonamassa Songs
Happier Times... Sloe Gin...Last Kiss...Lonesome Road Blues...Blues Deluxe...No Slack
Equipment For Listening To Joe
Sennheiser HD800 Headphones & Mad Ear+HD Headphone Amp

I enjoyed the band and in particular Steve on bass and Greg on drums, at the show I saw last week! Working for me. Not that i expect them to remain in the band forever but, like with other variations, they will only develop as a group with each performance together.

Glad you enjoyed your show, Jane! big_smile

I'm sorry to report that the Greenville show was great, just not for me. Joe was in great voice and obviously played well. But the rest of the current band (excluding Reese) doesn't do anything for me, the singers make me cringe (nobody should be singing EEEEEAAAAA in Mt. Time except Joe!), and the overall tempo is mostly too slow. I have many opinions about things on stage that I will keep to myself. No more $200+ shows for me. It's too much when you leave bummed out. sad

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

I hear y'all and thanks for shaing your thoughts and feelings....I'm glad still works for me. I mean I headbang to this stuff. I think the changes have been more subtle to me over time? I dunno. Always curious what the next tour might bring in terms of changes or updates and the resulting opinions. I'm still scratching my head over how he has been playing Pain and Sorrow...never thought that would happen at this point in time but here we are. I mean its not '04ish but then again neither is Joe. I still feel like I'm 18 in ways though big_smile

Well, I am in agreement that the current ticket prices are such that I must be selective if I intend to attend upcoming performances.
These premium prices sort of play into the original concern I raise when I started this topic/thread - If you are paying top dollar to attend a performance shouldn't you be entitled to know who is actually performing?  I mean the "box of chocolates" answer (never sure what you're biting into) is hard to accept at $200+ a seat.  Just curious (Barbie and Jane) did the recent shows you attended sell out? Please let me know.

I am very happy to know that Jane still find the experience a good one - gives me hope.

I can't believe I'm feeling indifferent to potential upcoming performances.  Makes me a bit melancholy.

Stu41 wrote:

Well, I am in agreement that the current ticket prices are such that I must be selective if I intend to attend upcoming performances.
These premium prices sort of play into the original concern I raise when I started this topic/thread - If you are paying top dollar to attend a performance shouldn't you be entitled to know who is actually performing?  I mean the "box of chocolates" answer (never sure what you're biting into) is hard to accept at $200+ a seat.  Just curious (Barbie and Jane) did the recent shows you attended sell out? Please let me know.

I am very happy to know that Jane still find the experience a good one - gives me hope.

I can't believe I'm feeling indifferent to potential upcoming performances.  Makes me a bit melancholy.

Neither of the last two shows I attended were sell outs (Fall 2021 and Spring 2022). From what I recall, lots of balcony seats and random seats on the floor available at both shows. But Joe still has plenty of people who are new to the scene and don't know any different than what he is now presenting. I attribute the non-sell outs more to CoVid than anything else.

It is definitely a hard pill to swallow buying the tix so far in advance and not knowing who will be in the band. When I bought the tix for Louisville last fall I knew I was taking a chance. But I was craving an outing so took my chances. The best thing about that trip was seeing Tyler Bryant and The Shakedown the night after Joe's gig. Tyler's tix were about $25 vs the $200+ for Joe's. TBSD saved the trip as their show was fricking awesome!

I'm very sad about everything. I never thought I'd see the day when things would take such a drastic turn to make me feel this way. But I'll keep tracking everything here and on Facebook and Instagram as always. Perhaps some day there will be a throw back tour with a throw back band...

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

Like a lot if you I'm torn. I remember my first few Joe shows all I wanted was Joe everyone else was a distraction. As time went on I began to appreciate the band especially Carmine and Tal. They really seemed to enjoy playing together. From every thing that was said Kevin was definitely behind the changes when Anton and Michael joined the band. As hard as it was to say goodbye to Carmine and Tal, Anton was a spectacular addition and Michael was probably a step up but Carmine was more then adequate plus his stage presence brought a real cohesion to the stage. Reese of course is definitely the best addition to the band and is still there. I saw the show last month in Clearwater and Joe was spectacular. Lemar was good on drums although it was disappointing not seeing Anton. Hate to be harsh but I just don't get the whole Josh Smith thing. Nothing against Josh personally and Joe certainly knows more in his little finger then I do about music, but to me there are dozens of local guys as talented as Josh. Why Joe has decided that Josh is the one is besides me.  It's Joe's band, I will continue to see Joe at every chance  but if Joe wants to show his appreciation to fans like me that have spent 10's of thousands of dollars over the years put together a band that enjoys playing together like we have seen before.

The only thing we deserve, is an opportunity.  Everything else has to be earned.

33 (edited by Lester 2022-04-04 17:02:01)

Anton and Michael are still listed as band members on Joe’s website.
I suppose they could still appear on a studio album but it’s a bit unfair on the current band members who don’t get a mention.

Lester..

Joe's website is always extremely slow to change band bios
Probably still be the same a yr from now

Lester wrote:

Anton and Michael are still listed as band members on Joe’s website.
I suppose they could still appear on a studio album but it’s a bit unfair on the current band members who don’t get a mention.

Lester..

---------------

I tell you what, I was thinking of this thread while listening to the Live from Sydney Opera House disc the other day. I just really like that thing and it highlights some of the best playing from other band members at the time. You notice right away with Reese intro and man idk i can hear Anton so clearly, so many more notes than you normally hear. I was just wow . Made me miss him more. and so bummed it didn't get to be dvd.
I still like all the band configurations though but it all stood out to me more on that listen.

@jane I can't listen to Australia Opera House , the audio is so bad,
Esp compared to his other live stuff, heck even the home recording of Mr Kipps is better

---------------