Re: Royal Tea 23 October 2020

But I only found one track
Where is Don't Hand Me Your Hangups?

Like the first Bonus track

I PM'd a few of you, check your inboxes.

It's been great to have a week to really dig into the album.  I'm really enjoying it.  Imho it's better all-around than Redemption and it's a really interesting and diverse album.

Highlights for me are:
When One Door Opens
Beyond the Silence
Savannah
Lonely Boy
Royal Tea

The only track I really don't like much is Lookout Man.  Lyrically it's pretty bad.  The riff and harmonica are great, though.

ZeyerGTR wrote:

Imho it's better all-around than Redemption

The only track I really don't like much is Lookout Man.  Lyrically it's pretty bad.  The riff and harmonica are great, though.

It is always so amazingly surprising how different the opinions always are, I guess that's because we are all different. To me Redemption was and is absolutely ground breaking album, and Self Inflicted Wounds is still my number one favorite Joe's song. And Lookout Man is my second favorite song on Royal Tea ( although I do agree - the lyrics are kinda funky there lol, but altogether it sounds awesome so who cares! )

Target tracks :

Don’t You Do Me No Favours  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmEZ8aiLXSQ

Don’t Hand Me Your Hangups  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7al88MhPMI

The special edition 'Classic Rock' magazine with Joe on the cover, 2x Royal tea - tea bags, 2x Royal tea coasters and a Royal tea poster arrived today.
Only 350 issues apparently...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.louder … heyre-gone

*Huge Knopfler & Bonamassa fan....
* Mr Kyps, Poole, UK is where Joe played his first ever UK gig in 2005 and was originally my middle school!!!!
*A fully fledged Cardboard 'cut out' audience member at the Ryman Auditorium 20/09/2020

78 (edited by ZeyerGTR 2020-10-29 12:36:14)

reo l wrote:

It is always so amazingly surprising how different the opinions always are, I guess that's because we are all different. To me Redemption was and is absolutely ground breaking album, and Self Inflicted Wounds is still my number one favorite Joe's song. And Lookout Man is my second favorite song on Royal Tea ( although I do agree - the lyrics are kinda funky there lol, but altogether it sounds awesome so who cares! )

Hah, yeah, definitely.  As my father in law used to say - "that's why they make green Cadillacs and Pink Cadillacs."

I think to some degree that range of opinions of favorites/least favorites is a reflection of Joe's diversity in material... especially the last 4-5 albums.  He has a style, for sure, but really explores every avenue and back road of blues/rock and related genres.

ZeyerGTR wrote:

I PM'd a few of you, check your inboxes.

It's been great to have a week to really dig into the album.  I'm really enjoying it.  Imho it's better all-around than Redemption and it's a really interesting and diverse album.

Highlights for me are:
When One Door Opens
Beyond the Silence
Savannah
Lonely Boy
Royal Tea

I am absolute with you here
Overall better than Redemption. Until today I did not like that album at all
Cause you can with killer solo but the rest.... WELL HE DID BETTER

My personal fave for now... "Look Out Man" Nice blend of the back up vocals ( the ladies)  and harmonica with riffage.  The vid shows Michaels version of his "tractor" bass. Getting thru the 2020 B.S.

Rick Soike wrote:

My personal fave for now... "Look Out Man" Nice blend of the back up vocals ( the ladies)  and harmonica with riffage.  The vid shows Michaels version of his "tractor" bass. Getting thru the 2020 B.S.

I think thats  my fav too!

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

82 (edited by indianajim 2020-11-11 20:44:50)

Royal Tea may be my favorite album since Different Shades of Blue, and I think the reason is that it sounds like the best amalgamation of his various influences. It bridges the gap between blues and rock as well as New Day Yesterday did, so it acts as a sort of bookend for his career up to this point in my mind. Every song is doing something unique, and for whatever reason, his lyrical partners this go around seemed to really hit on something interesting and different. He’s clearly grown into a force as a player, singer, writer, the whole deal. He’s starting to do different things with his voice on different songs, which is a sign he finally seems not just comfortable but really confident in his voice and what he can do with it.

This new disc is tasty ..You can tell from the opening,  tempo changing,  track that this is going to be a special disc. Nice upbeat Rockers like "Look out Man " make this disc a winner. Lonely Boy...I Didn't Think She Would do It..Outstanding ! Also...I noticed the songs are just slightly different, but the real change here is album production. I'm very proud they used iconic Abbey Rd for this. Definitely a slightly different vibe. Love to see Joe keep changing. How about a Christmas album Joe ?? lol

Murfdog

New video today -  "Beyond The Silence" - the most powerful and beautiful song on the album. The music and voice are stunning!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7IDNYvcMso

The piano solo on Beyond the Silence is my favorite solo on the record.  Sorry, Joe, Reese outdid you on this one!

After a few weeks of pretty consistent listening I've kind of settled into my opinion.  There are definitely songs I dig a lot.  Only one tune I really don' like.  I mostly like the variety and that he's continuing to stretch and explore new avenues of blues/rock and mixing in some different elements.  It's a middle of the pack Joe record for me (which is still good).  I give it a solid B+.

I really like RT. I was worried I was  not going to like it that much based on the preview songs. Full disclosure I never listen through the whole When One Door opens song until I got the album. It plods a little to long in the beginning  but the payoff is worth it.Sonthe begins ng of that and Alice did not grab me at all. So I was  worried.
  When I listen to Alice as in listening through the whole album I like it enough that its not a skip over. 
   Joes solo releases are pretty much my top album of the year. RT is such an excellent album  it should be that for me this year.
But there are a couple other albums I really  like this year equally.
     I read an interview  where Joe said he is really focusing on the  songs more than just his guitar work.Makes sense. There is some killer guitar in RT. My preference would to have just a little more  in the  album. Maybe he will stretch out more live?
  All and all I think RT may stand the test  of time. It grows in me more and more.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

87 (edited by sally12333 2020-12-16 10:32:38)

PBS in Maryland played a 45-minute carve-out from Royal Tea Live from the Ryman last night.  Hope it's on repeat for a few days/weeks.

Gets better and better.  Still stoked about those boots!

"To repeat a good thing is to sit still; to take a chance is to grow." - Joe Bonamassa
I need some Joe...NOW.
Joe = Joy

sally12333 wrote:

PBS in Maryland played a 45-minute carve-out from Royal Tea Live from the Ryman last night.  Hope it's on repeat for a few days/weeks.

Cool, I'll keep my eyes open for a local broadcast!