Topic: Top 5 Drummers

Well, tomorrow on Sirius XM Volume 106, they're gonna be talking about their Top 5 Drummers, and here's the list I emailed in, and I know there's alot of great drummers, and I'm sure that if asked tomorrow, I'd have some different drummers listed:

5. Larry Mullen, Jr.
4. Steve Jordan
3. Kenny Aronoff
2. Max Weinberg
1. John Bonham

Re: Top 5 Drummers

Marco Minnemann is definitely one of my favorites.
Charlie Watts as well - totally different player, but such a unique feel and great groove.

Nicko McBrain for such exuberance with a massive kit and Simon Kirke for the exact opposite. Both excellent big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

Sandy Nelson
Brian Bennett
Ian Paice
Phil Collins
Clem Burke

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

I've been playing the drums most of my life so this is a tough question to answer.

I can definitely say that these three gentlemen are my favorite top three. Different styles.

John Bonham
Buddy Rich
Neil Peart

These guys are among my favorites:

Ringo Starr.  He admits he's not the most technical drummer but he does the two most important things a drummer needs to do. Keep good time and play what's right for the song.

Phil Collins and Chester Thompson.  Chester has been Phil's drummer with Genesis and his solo work for a long time. Seeing both of them playing together is double the pleasure.

Anton Fig. I've enjoyed Mr. Figs playing for a long time. Now that he's playing with Joe, I get a steady diet of his excellent drumming.

Ginger Baker, Carl Palmer, Steve Gadd, Dave Weckl, Stewart Copeland, Steve Smith, Simon Kirke, Jeff Porcaro, Nigel Olsson, Graeme Edge, Kenny Aronoff.

So many drummers... I'll stop now so you can get back to your life.

Addicted to Drums.. Music.. Drums.. Cars.. Drums.. Drums.. Drums.... Not looking for a cure!!

6 (edited by ahsmith33 2020-05-04 12:36:39)

Phil and Chester were amazing in concert, the Duke tour. Dave Weckl with Mike Stern, at the Variety in Atlanta. Ringo is highly underrated !!! Bonham on the Presence tour .............. did anybody mention Billy Cobham ? Peart will always be my favorite, 3 times in various cities, I miss him greatly. Great call on Buddy Rich, the original drummer's drummer. Kenny is tremendous and so is Vinnie C that has played with Jeff Beck. Oh dear, I left out many but remiss in not mentioning Carmine Appice

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

Billy Cobham, Carmine Appice, Vinnie Colaiuta ... Oh yes very talented.

Vinnie, Steve, Dave. Stick control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czOjnlvHrQU

Addicted to Drums.. Music.. Drums.. Cars.. Drums.. Drums.. Drums.... Not looking for a cure!!

That was most excellent, thanks ............ can't believe I forgot Gadd, was/am a big RTF fan. I saw Carmine on the first Cactus tour, he tore it up

blue81ta wrote:

Billy Cobham, Carmine Appice, Vinnie Colaiuta ... Oh yes very talented.

Vinnie, Steve, Dave. Stick control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czOjnlvHrQU

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives

Odd that you guys mentioned Carmen Appice as I was thinking last night his brilliance on drums.  I really loved the album he did with Jeff Beck. 

As for my two cents with drummers I'd put Keith Moon over Bonham as I saw them both in concert and he just complemented Entwhistle perfectly.
That would be my Rock picks, but I honestly feel Jazz owns both categories of Bass and drum playing.
I'd put Billy Cobham, Bernard Purdie and Steve Jordan as my faves.