1 (edited by gary 2019-11-15 11:32:31)

Topic: Women taking over in blues rock

While there has always been a strong female presence in blues, blues rock has been male dominated for a long time.
I have found so many great female artists really making some of the best blues rock lately.Not in any order of preference.
1) Laura Cox Her new album is outstanding
2) Ally Venable 
3) Hanna Wicklund
4) Sari Schorr
5) Mindi Abair
6) Joanna Connor Although not just blues rock
These artists have been really dominated my listening rotation recently.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

2 (edited by BansheeUK 2019-11-18 07:00:48)

Re: Women taking over in blues rock

Laura Cox is a name I want to investigate more, heard great things so far.
Sari Schorr has made a great impact this side of the Atlantic, and is a lovely soul to meet - look out for a Live album soon.
Hannah Wicklund; caught her a couple of months back, well worth  the wait and catching again.
The other two names you mention are going to give me some exploring to do.... cool

Over here we've long had "girls with guitars" or belting voices, or sometime both:-
Joanne Shaw Taylor
Chantel McGregor
Dani Wilde
Erja Lyytinen
Rebecca Downes
Elles Bailey
Eliana Cargnelutti
Vanja Sky
Ana Popovic
Dana Fuchs
Layla Zoe
Samantha Fish
Sue Foley
Lee Ainley
Zoe Schwarz

I'd also check the label RUF Records - their most recent Blues Caravan Tour was their 2nd all-girl and they have some amazing players on their books.

Ally Venable (USA); Ghalia (BE); Ina Forsman IFIN); Katarna Pejak (SER); Whitney Shay (USA); Christina Skjolberg (Nor)
Heather Crosse (USA);

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Thanks Banshee! There are several in your list I am familiar with.Sometimes you don’t know where to place them in blues or blues rock.
  There are a few others I will look into as well.
  I have been a fan of Layla Zoe for a while and should have put her on my list.But hey,that’s what these threads are for!!

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

4 (edited by BansheeUK 2019-11-19 03:47:03)

I thought Curby would have been all over this thread by now....

This is where this Forum scores high for me too; the exchange of new names and bands - can't say my wallet is too happy at times, but my ears have a ball.

Also know what you mean about trying to categorise some of the players; I use Blues as a touchstone and take it from there if I like what I hear; Rock, Folk, Country; Alt Country (whatever that is...)

5 (edited by Curby 2019-11-24 11:10:13)

BansheeUK wrote:

I thought Curby would have been all over this thread by now....

This is where this Forum scores high for me too; the exchange of new names and bands - can't say my wallet is too happy at times, but my ears have a ball.

Also know what you mean about trying to categorise some of the players; I use Blues as a touchstone and take it from there if I like what I hear; Rock, Folk, Country; Alt Country (whatever that is...)

You'll have to forgive me guys for not responding earlier but I started a new job last Monday and they're keeping me very busy.

From Gary's list I'm familiar with 2 of the 6 and about 10 off Mike's list.  It's true that there are some very talented women singing the blues.  During my Facebook days I was friends with a number of great gal singers and got lucky one year to meet and hear Joanne Shaw Taylor playing with her Ruf friends.
That said, I have to say I fall into the same category as Mike in that I love all types of genres and a good percentage are women.
Hear are some I've added to my library this year:

Lianne La Havas
Janiva Magness
Mindi Abair
Elise Trouw
Grace FMA
Rumer - What a set of pipes!
Lucy Woodward
Jenny Lewis
Chantae Cann
Maggie Koerner
Elizabeth Mitchell - One of her songs is engraved inside my wedding ring
Tash Sultana
Halestorm - Very, very talented band/singer
Elie King
Kara Golemba (with Joey Landreth)
Gina Sicilia

Special mention to a compilation recording from 1972 & '73 by Ellen McIlwaine, Up From the Skies: The Polydor Years
Great bluesy voice and playing.  I think I prefer her version of Blind Faith's "Can't Find My Way Home".

Have to admit, been into Lizzy Hale & Halestorm for a couple of years now, not so much for Lizzy's awesome voice (check the cover EPs they've put out to measure her range) but more because her brother Arejay is a drumming animal....

By the way, went well off the reservation last night in terms of singers - Sophie Ellis-Bextor doing her orchestral, greatest hits tour. Great fun, even if it did hit cheesy disco, but she can sing as proved at the encore when she sat at the edge of the balcony with 3 violinists and no microphone to perform Theaudience (previous band) Pessimists Are Never Disappointed.