1 (edited by BansheeUK 2019-10-03 05:39:32)

Topic: Earl Slick

Not a name that’s on the tip of everyone’s tongue yet I bet he’s been through an awful lot of people’s ears over the last 40 something years. Checking the archives, he's no stranger on here, so why no  thread until now.

Just look at this career resume and you’ll see why I’m stoked about just nailing a ticket for next month’s gig at Newcastle Cluny…

In the early 1970s, Earl Slick gained his reputation on the New York music scene as a guitarist while playing in a band called Mack Truck featuring both singer-songwriter Jimmie Mack and his brother, drummer Jack Mack. His work with Scottish singer-songwriter Jim Diamond was as the duo Slick Diamond. They toured and gave performances for a short time in the late 1970s.
Slick was initially hired by David Bowie to replace Mick Ronson as lead guitarist for the Diamond Dogs tour in 1974 (the live album David Live was recorded during this tour). Slick also played lead guitar on Bowie’s Young Americans and Station to Station albums, released in 1975 and 1976 respectively. After disagreements with Bowie’s management, Slick was replaced as lead guitarist for the 1976 Station to Station tour by Stacey Heydon. Slick continued working in the studio with former Mott the Hoople frontman Ian Hunter, John Lennon, and Yoko Ono, but also formed his own solo band, releasing both Razor Sharp and Earl Slick Band in 1976. Slick performed on Lennon and Ono’s Double Fantasy. During the sessions for Double Fantasy, the material for 1984’s Milk and Honey was recorded as well. Slick also joined Ono in the studio for her solo album, Season of Glass.

In 1983, Slick rejoined David Bowie’s touring band for the Serious Moonlight Tour, which supported the Let’s Dance album. Stevie Ray Vaughan had played guitar on the album but left the band right before the tour due to a dispute between his and Bowie’s management. Earl Slick was asked to step in as a last-minute replacement due to his prior working relationship with Bowie. After the Serious Moonlight Tour, Slick contributed to Box of Frogs’ eponymous album and Game Theory’s Distortion EP. At that time, Slick co-founded Phantom, Rocker & Slick with Slim Jim Phantom and Lee Rocker. The band released two records, Phantom, Rocker & Slick and Cover Girl. Rolling Stones’ guitarist Keith Richards contributed a performance to the single “My Mistake” - an experience Slick cites as one of the most memorable in his career.

Between the two Phantom, Rocker & Slick albums, Slick appeared with Carl Perkins and a host of other musicians including Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, and Rosanne Cash for 1985’s Blue Suede Shoes: A Rockabilly Session. In 1990, Slick collaborated with David Glen Eisley in the band Dirty White Boy, which released only one album, Bad Reputation (1990), and industry showcases in London and Los Angeles. He also played briefly in Little Caesar in 1991-92. Working with mentor Michael Kamen, Slick contributed to several soundtracks in the 1990s, including Hudson Hawk and Nothing but Trouble. He released another solo record, In Your Face, in 1991.

The early 2000s saw Slick return to Bowie’s roster, appearing on the studio albums Heathen (2002) and Reality (2003). Slick toured with Bowie in support of those albums as well, and performed on the Bowie DVD and double CD A Reality Tour. Working with producer Mark Plati Slick released a solo album, Zig Zag, which featured guest performances by David Bowie, Robert Smith, Joe Elliott, Royston Langdon and Martha Davis of The Motels. Slick then contributed guitar tracks to a Mark Plati remix of The Cure’s A Forest, which appeared on Join the Dots: B-Sides and Rarities in 2004.

From 2006 he was a member of both The Eons with singer-songwriter Jeff Saphin and Slinky Vagabond. Slinky Vagabond were Glen Matlock, Clem Burke, and Keanan Duffty. Slinky Vagabond (the name comes from the lyrics to the David Bowie song “Young Americans”) played their debut concert at the Joey Ramone Birthday Bash in May 2007. On February 11, 2011, UK-based Noble PR announced Slick had joined the New York Dolls for their March UK tour. New York Dolls’ rhythm guitarist Sylvain Sylvain confirmed the report, “We made some calls and now we finally have got Earl Slick playing guitar. So Earl’s going to be joining us for the upcoming tour. He’s the newest member of the New York Dolls, if I can put that right now.” In January 2013 he contributed on guitar for David Bowie on his penultimate album, The Next Day. In May 2015, Slick joined the Yardbirds, replacing guitarist Top Topham. In August 2015 it was announced that Slick had left the band and was replaced by Johnny A.  In February 2016, he performed a tribute to Bowie at the Brit Awards with Bowie’s Reality touring band and the New Zealand singer, Lorde.

PS And at £12.50 plus fees per ticket

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Re: Earl Slick

Back in 2015 (?) Joe called Earl out on stage one night at the Beacon Theatre. I kept thinking to myself "I know that name, who is this guy?" After the show everybody was milling about out in the lobby and poor Earl was standing there, nobody talking to him. I felt so bad but I still hadn't put it together who he was and I was fairly new at the business of musician encounters, so I kept my distance. Well believe me, when I figured it out later I was kicking myself. Young Americans, Station to Station and Diamond Dogs are my favorite Bowie albums!

Glad to see him getting some love here now! Enjoy the show!

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

I did actually see Earl Slick a frightening 30 years (or so) ago, when he was part of a band called Dirty White Boy when they toured their only album Bad Reputation, and still have the CD... back then though, the road-crew handled the merch

I didn't know it until the eve of the show, but he was in my area a couple of months ago,  once again backing Glen Matlock; the "kicking myself" bruises still show.

They say you shouldn't meet your heroes, but we're way passed that here. Thanks for the good wishes; I'll be sure to give a full report after the show.

PS:
Mr Bonamassa with Earl Slick:-  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iLRbUA5iHg

5 (edited by BansheeUK 2019-10-25 03:49:24)

More dates rolling in:-

November 2019
Nov12 Tue Earl Slick in Conversation   Glasgow, Òran Mór
Nov13 Wed Earl Slick   Newcastle upon Tyne, The Cluny & The Cluny 2
Nov16 Sat  Earl Slick Speaks   Balcombe Club & The Victory Hall
Nov17 Sun  Slicky Speaks - Earl Slick In Conversation    Reading, Minster Church of St Mary the Virgin
Nov18 Mon  Earl Slick   London, The Half Moon Putney
Nov19 Tue  Slicky Speaks: Earl Slick in Conversation  Norwich Arts Centre
Nov26 Tue  Earl Slick   Glastonbury, Assembly Rooms
Nov30 Sat  Slicky Speaks - Earl Slick In Conversation  Newport-on-Tay, Rio Community Centre

December 2019
Dec01 Sun  Slicky Speaks - Earl Slick In Conversation  Birmingham, Mama Roux's

As the dates come in, get the impression this will be as much "in conversation" as playing, but with the CV this guy has, it'll be interesting, very interesting...

6 (edited by BansheeUK 2019-11-14 05:00:20)

As promised; spent yesterday evening in the company of a bit of a legend; Earl "Slicky" Slick. What  can you  say about the guy? The epitome of rock'n'roll; elegantly wasted, cool as ****, like Keith Richards' kid brother. Guitar-slinger for hire with some of the biggest names, band-leader  in his own right, some-time real estate agent, guitar and strap designer and now raconteur par excellence.

The evening was billed "Slicky Speaks" and the first half was set up, Earl joined  on stage by travelling companion Jesse who prompted the questions in a conversational manner and the stories just flowed naturally; candid but never salacious, frank and funny. From the catalyst of The Beatles to teenage years playing in covers bands in Brooklyn bar, to roadie-ing which lead to a  weird studio audition for a "red-haired weirdo with no eyebrows"- David Bowie. Naturally, this was a rich source of material, let's face it, on-and-off 40 years worth; as was the session with John Lennon which led to Double Fantasy.

The "second set" was audience participation time as a radio mic was passed round  the 100 or so  people in the audience, and the interval comment from two ladies sat behind me about *these are English people, nobody will ask anything" was very quickly disproved. The only time  the mic went quiet was when it's batteries needed a good shake, but then that was covered by Jesse who threw in a couple of questions from the Facebook live feed. And the vast majority of the questions were very probing from clearly a strong fan-base, and Slicky answered them as before,  honestly, candidly and with good grace.

So, if the show had an encore, then it had to be the time for Earl to pick up a trusty Strat and run through his "greatest hits", or rather greatest moments - Stay, Golden Years, etc, but at audience request. And  then as we left the room, it was a well shepherded, meet & greet, snap & sign - and I don't think anyone present missed their opportunity: I know after 30  years waiting, I got my Dirty White Boy - Bad Reputation signed.

True, I would have liked more music, but then as I said at the start, this guy is such a natural, easy speaker, and  the stories he has to tell  - well I for one am  looking forward to the autobiography when it emerges. This rolls through the UK for the rest of the month, and genuinely, if you get the chance in your area, GO. Failing  that, check Facebook against the dates if  the do  the live feed again.

For you guys in Bonamassica, if you happened to  be anywhere in the Chicago area in January, more specifically, Buddy Guy's club, then you may want  to check the dates as one of Slicky's main plans for next year is to play there and sit-in  with Buddy.

Sounds like a cool evening! Thanks for reporting!

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

Caught this while channel hopping on Saturday evening; caught my attention for 2 reasons. Firstly, my folks were big rock’n'rollers in their day and loved this sort of stuff. Secondly, I’m still on a bit of a high from the evening with Earl Slick wo mentioned being a part of this show (catching this was purely coincidental) and how the line-up he was playing with made him feel like that 12y old kid watching the Ed Sullivan Show again….The line up? Lead by Dave Edmunds, included Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Ringo Starr and several other familiar faces.. (Earl, on the far end, dressed in black but with a bit of a footwear crisis.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsTH1tgIh2E
If you can’t be bothered to wade through it all:-
0:00:00 - Boppin’ The Blues w/ Dave Edmunds & Lee Rocker
0:03:06 - Put Your Cat Clothes On w/ Dave Edmunds & Lee Rocker
0:05:18 - Honey Don’t w/ Ringo Starr
0:08:30 - Matchbox w/ Eric Clapton & Ringo Starr
0:11:44 - Mean Woman Blues w/ Eric Clapton
0:15:00 - Turn Around
0:18:02 - Jackson w/ Rosanne Cash
0:21:19 - What Kind Of Girl w/ Rosanne Cash
0:23:31 - Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby w/ George Harrison
0:26:04 - Your True Love w/ George Harrison
0:29:10 - The World Is Waiting For The Sunrise w/ George Harrison
0:30:49 - Medley w/ Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Rosanne Cash, Dave Edmunds, Lee Rocker
0:38:17 - Gone, Gone, Gone w/ Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Rosanne Cash, Dave Edmunds, Lee Rocker
0:40:57 - Blue Suede Shoes w/ Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Rosanne Cash, Dave Edmunds, Lee Rocker

Slick's Licks - The Balcombe Club; West Sussex - 16/11/19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=027XrU4tS-I

BansheeUK wrote:

Caught this while channel hopping on Saturday evening; caught my attention for 2 reasons. Firstly, my folks were big rock’n'rollers in their day and loved this sort of stuff. Secondly, I’m still on a bit of a high from the evening with Earl Slick wo mentioned being a part of this show (catching this was purely coincidental) and how the line-up he was playing with made him feel like that 12y old kid watching the Ed Sullivan Show again….The line up? Lead by Dave Edmunds, included Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Ringo Starr and several other familiar faces.. (Earl, on the far end, dressed in black but with a bit of a footwear crisis.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsTH1tgIh2E
If you can’t be bothered to wade through it all:-
0:00:00 - Boppin’ The Blues w/ Dave Edmunds & Lee Rocker
0:03:06 - Put Your Cat Clothes On w/ Dave Edmunds & Lee Rocker
0:05:18 - Honey Don’t w/ Ringo Starr
0:08:30 - Matchbox w/ Eric Clapton & Ringo Starr
0:11:44 - Mean Woman Blues w/ Eric Clapton
0:15:00 - Turn Around
0:18:02 - Jackson w/ Rosanne Cash
0:21:19 - What Kind Of Girl w/ Rosanne Cash
0:23:31 - Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby w/ George Harrison
0:26:04 - Your True Love w/ George Harrison
0:29:10 - The World Is Waiting For The Sunrise w/ George Harrison
0:30:49 - Medley w/ Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Rosanne Cash, Dave Edmunds, Lee Rocker
0:38:17 - Gone, Gone, Gone w/ Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Rosanne Cash, Dave Edmunds, Lee Rocker
0:40:57 - Blue Suede Shoes w/ Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Rosanne Cash, Dave Edmunds, Lee Rocker

I just tuned this in to listen as I work. LOVE IT! Thank you so much for sharing. I'll pull it up on the big screen tonight. I think my husband would enjoy this, too. big_smile

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST