Topic: John Stainthorp

Castle Tavern; Richmond, N Yorks. 27-7-19

Only 2nd time of seeing John, but I think he's well worthy of a thread and strictly this was John and his band, but well worth a short drive out on a rare, wet July evening, so here’s my thoughts on the little shindig.
Not often I do a pub gig on a Saturday night, but couldn’t miss the opportunity to catch John Stainthorp on his home turf, Castle Tavern, Richmond and with his full band, The Laughing Hearts… Add a couple of local, young acts and the result was a couple of hours of some tasty, hooky, slightly pop, folky rock - or more briefly, something for everyone..
Starting the evening was (Northallerton’s?) Tom Thorne mixing Beatles and Doobie Brothers with his own acoustic material.
Quick as a flash, John took the stage for a Dylanesque working of Elvis’ Can’t Help Falling In Love and then joined by George for a romp through Johnny Cash standard Ring of Fire and an intense take on Fionn Regan's Violent Demeanour.
Here the guys paused and let two other guys (embarrassingly didn’t get names) for an “alternate” acoustic track, like beat poets meet the Ramones - challenging, but interesting.
Short pause and then John & George where joined by their backline and the night shifted up 2 gears and they took us through most of the Into The Light album with a handful of new songs and another Johnny cash cover, a rocking Fulsom Prison Blues. Well balanced set of well crafted numbers, the only gaps being the quick swapping of acoustic and electric guitars between John & George, sharing lead guitar rolls.
Granted, a local crowd, but the managed to pack out the cosy venue - just glad the gig wasn’t mid-week, it was warm enough as it was, but the audience kept demanding encores, the first was a given as there was nowhere else to go from the stage other than the gents, but the second called for an improptu reprise of the set opener, What a Devil, and to be honest, they guys could have repeated the whole setlist, they were really cooking.
Great to see grass-roots music of this quality is alive and well and living in N.Yorkshire…”
Band set list:-
What A Devil
Give It All
Crash of a Wave
Starting To See
Destined To Sink
Footsteps
If I’m Going To Stay
My Way
FulsomPrison Blues
Don’t Slow Down
Turning Cold
If Only For A Day
Hold My Head Up High
Turn My Way
See Me Here
What A Devil (reprise)
Would like to have done some video, but set up of the venue, too much traffic passing by stage to the gents, but I recommend a YouTube search of John's material.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Re: John Stainthorp

Can confirm that John will be supporting Felix Rabin at Newcastle Cluny on 22nd Oct.
Somebody carrying a shield and waving a sword had a minor hand in this….

3 (edited by BansheeUK 2019-10-23 05:20:05)

Newcastle Cluny2 - 22nd October

Okay, I admit it; it was my idea to recommend John Stainthorp as the opener for last night’s gig. Until Tilerman and I nosed the soundcheck , I wasn’t sure what format John would use, solo, duo, but as it turned out it was The Laughing Hearts full band.
As things turned out, we were a little caught out by the early doors start, but only by a couple of minutes but even so soon into their set the guys were tight; I don’t know how often they’ve played away from their “backyard” but they were determined to make the most of this opportunity;  and they aced it. They’ve build so much, even since our last encounter in the summer.

The Laughing Hearts, through John & George’s songs have found a punchy blend of Folk and Country that honestly, wouldn’t have been out of place supporting The Rails, originally scheduled for the main room upstairs and I wouldn’t be surprised if such a gig turned up in the near future. John has a Lennon style of voice that puts an integrity to the songs and he's capable as lead or rhythm guitar - roles which he swaps with George [Parkes] so expect the set to be interupted occassionally by adroit guitar-juggling, and George is no slouch on the 6-string. The whole sound is propelled along crisply by Paul behind the drums and sewn up by Maltz on bass. (Hang on… John, Paul, George & Maltz???  Ooh!! So close…  )

Seriously though, these guys are developing rapidly as a band worth catching and a band with a clutch of quality self-penned songs that is growing everytime I see them. So last night’s recommendation, definitely one of my better ones which I hope gets a foot in a few doors for these “Ilkley lads”.

4 (edited by BansheeUK 2020-02-25 09:02:04)

Darlington Forum - 21st Feb
An excellent showing again last night from John S & George P, opening the evening for Rebecca Downes’ visit to Darlington. Originally billed to be a “Laughing Hearts” set, due to availability it was just the duo on stage, but don’t for one moment think we were just served a couple of “Giggling Kidneys”, the lads delivered a heartfelt and perky performance with tasty new material sprinkled in among their own maturing numbers. Only quibble, if you can call it such, as they were both on acoustics, there was none of their trade-mark guitar-juggling.
It has to be a hard market again at the moment for singer/songwriters, each trying to be the next Ed Sheeran and most sounding more like the same old Ed Balls but I have to be honest that I’ve a growing liking and respect for John; not just because he’s from barely a hop,skip & jump away. There’s a maturity and integrity in his vocals, the songs are crisp and unfussy; he has an unselfish awareness of when to share the lead runs with George who has an ideal complimentary style, and let’s be honest, John’s also easier on the eye than Lewis Capaldi.
Provided there’s no lambing storm blasting down the Arkengarth Dale, looking forward to seeing the lads host a hometown Blues night in Richmond tomorrow. (Look for large wooden garage-type door, midway up Frenchgate apparently - intriguing…)

bluesnight.org - 23rd Feb
Had the pleasure of spending part of Sunday evening (before it snowed - or was it the fall-out from Rebecca Downes’ powerhouse vocals?) with John & George and friends, at one of their hometown gigs. Superb, but strange little venue, almost like someone’s living room; hang on, it was exactly someone’s living room, or would be in the holiday season…
Don’t know that I’d hang the “Blues” label on the evening’s musical entertainment; it was in there somewhere probably, along with Folk, Country and a touch old old-fashioned, angry sounding, not-quite protest songs. First up, was Aycliffe-based Jamie Farrell with a very quality set; followed by a solo Bosko Green; different in flavour, but again, quality. And then, freed from soundman duties, John & George were up, and after slight hiccup with George’s guitar (too much juggling), he still proved to be high-class on borrowed strings after Bosko very generously loaned him his guitar for the set. A slightly amended set from the one they did on Friday at Darlington Forum, John clearly relishing the opportunity to play the songs as they should be, and not cranked-up to drown pub chatter.
Most definitely a convivial evening and a superb showcase for some quality local talent.