1 (edited by BansheeUK 2019-06-18 04:24:32)

Topic: Mike Farris

The White House - Ashington 17-6-19

Well, the area around Newcastle was alive with great music last night: Kris Kristofferson at Gateshead Sage probably the ticket of choice, but Ashington’s White House brought out their own Grammy winner, Mike Farris. And that was all they needed, Mike and his acoustic guitar; no band, no horns, no backing singers; not that he seemed to need any once he got a feel for the audience, quickly recruiting and guiding this North East Social Club into at times was a Southern Pentecostal meeting, just shy of someone flick-flacking down the centre of the room, otherwise this may have had to go in Different Genres

That’s not to say that it was all based round Mike’s faith, much of the evening’s theme, as such, was love & family, his latest album Silver & Stone, the core of the set, celebrating his 25 years with his wife Julie (just loved her Tennessee accent at the merch stall). If there was a setlist, it pretty much went out the window as the evening set off, Van Morrison covers rubbed shoulders with Sam Cooke as well as traditional Gospel songs as that amazing voice soared and drifted throughout the room. It would seem though, the only thing not reckoned on was age as Mike started on one of his very earliest compositions, only to quickly stop and change key…

As well as that voice, Mike connected with the audience on a more intimate & personal level between the music, joking about regional difference and commonality, stories behind the songs and at one point starkly candid about his past low-points with pain-killler addiction, but always sharing his dedication to Julie. I know I haven’t done many this year and there’s still a few more to come,  but I’m thinking this was “Gig of the Year”

There’s definitely something about these shows at Ashington that’s I’ve rarely experienced at other venues up and down the roads I’ve travelled. Yes, they’re attracting top cream musicians who are delivering World class music yet managing such an intimacy thats more a family reunion than “another gig in another town”.

Not from the show, but this is a recent studio session that will give a flavour :-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-heCP-Uh8g

Rest of Mike's (highly recommended) UK Tour:-
Tue, JUN 18  The Platform   Morecambe, United Kingdom
Wed, JUN 19  Theatre On The Steps   Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
Thu, JUN 20  Ropetackle Arts Centre   Shoreham-by-sea, United Kingdom
Fri, JUN 21  Wilfrid Noyce Community Centre   Godalming, United Kingdom
Sat, JUN 22  Nell's Jazz and Blues   London, United Kingdom
Sun, JUN 23 Black Deer Festival   Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Re: Mike Farris

BansheeUK wrote:

The White House - Ashington 17-6-19

Well, the area around Newcastle was alive with great music last night: Kris Kristofferson at Gateshead Sage probably the ticket of choice, but Ashington’s White House brought out their own Grammy winner, Mike Farris. And that was all they needed, Mike and his acoustic guitar; no band, no horns, no backing singers; not that he seemed to need any once he got a feel for the audience, quickly recruiting and guiding this North East Social Club into at times was a Southern Pentecostal meeting, just shy of someone flick-flacking down the centre of the room, otherwise this may have had to go in Different Genres

That’s not to say that it was all based round Mike’s faith, much of the evening’s theme, as such, was love & family, his latest album Silver & Stone, the core of the set, celebrating his 25 years with his wife Julie (just loved her Tennessee accent at the merch stall). If there was a setlist, it pretty much went out the window as the evening set off, Van Morrison covers rubbed shoulders with Sam Cooke as well as traditional Gospel songs as that amazing voice soared and drifted throughout the room. It would seem though, the only thing not reckoned on was age as Mike started on one of his very earliest compositions, only to quickly stop and change key…

As well as that voice, Mike connected with the audience on a more intimate & personal level between the music, joking about regional difference and commonality, stories behind the songs and at one point starkly candid about his past low-points with pain-killler addiction, but always sharing his dedication to Julie. I know I haven’t done many this year and there’s still a few more to come,  but I’m thinking this was “Gig of the Year”

There’s definitely something about these shows at Ashington that’s I’ve rarely experienced at other venues up and down the roads I’ve travelled. Yes, they’re attracting top cream musicians who are delivering World class music yet managing such an intimacy thats more a family reunion than “another gig in another town”.

Not from the show, but this is a recent studio session that will give a flavour :-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-heCP-Uh8g

Rest of Mike's (highly recommended) UK Tour:-
Tue, JUN 18  The Platform   Morecambe, United Kingdom
Wed, JUN 19  Theatre On The Steps   Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
Thu, JUN 20  Ropetackle Arts Centre   Shoreham-by-sea, United Kingdom
Fri, JUN 21  Wilfrid Noyce Community Centre   Godalming, United Kingdom
Sun, JUN 23 Black Deer Festival   Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing Mike!  I’ve always been a big fan and have much respect for both his faith and unbelievable talent.

3 (edited by BansheeUK 2019-06-19 05:39:45)

Thought you'd appreciate it, Curby… Felt all night that you'd have thoroughly enjoyed this one. The evening went beyond the usual curfew allowing Mike to do a 2hr set to a full house. (The gig, announced 3 months ago was sold out within 3 days; not bad for a  small town just north of Newcastle.)

Date sneaking out for January 2020 - 12th @ Shipley... Watching out for more....

16th Jan - Mike Farris & Band @ Newcastle; Live Theatre
27-29 Broad Chare, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 3DQ
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Liv … d-1.604882