Topic: The Rails

Newcastle Cluny - 1-6-18

Now then, how do I call this? It’s certainly NOT Americana, far too “English” sounding. Several of the songs concerned sailors and Australia; is there such a thing as Australiana then??? Then again, a lot of the songs were about or mentioned various trees, so maybe Arboreana??? I’m trying desperately here not to use a four lettered word starting with “F” and ending with “K”....

Right, so before I paint myself into that particular corner, for those who don’t know, The Rails are a husband & wife duo, He is James Walbourne, singer and guitarist with The Pretenders, The Pogues, Ray Davis, Edwin Collins, to name but a few….(he’s a bit good….). She is Kami Thompson, daughter of Richard & Linda and sister to Teddy, so a wealth of music in the genetics. Together they combine their sound so that it “blends bits of Celtic, soul, blues, and folk so agelessly that it could belong in 1974 or 2014 (AllMusic).

That’s what we were treated to on Friday evening, in a quiet Cluny; Kami & James and just 2 acoustic guitars covering their catalogue of 2 albums, 2 EPs as well as James’ solo album (The Hill). Such a change from the usual amps and train-set sized pedal boards. Of the pairing, Kami has the richer, more melodious voice, not say that James doesn’t have a good set of pipes, however, his forte is on the guitar which at times he really sizzled, especially Panic Attack Blues,  the fret board though at times it threatened to fight back by not holding it’s tuning on the sultry night.. Starting with The Hill from James’ solo album, the duo swapped vocal leads as they went through their catalogue, most of the Australia EP was plundered, including the “tree” songs, Willow Tree and The Trees They Do Grow High, and of course the latest album, Other People was well featured. Occasionally though, you felt as if a backline to fatten up the sound wouldn’t have gone amiss but the simple sound with “no tricks” where “you can hear everything”, being so direct, such thoughts soon dispersed.

The encore was a little unusual; it was to have been a cover of Edwyn Collin’s Low Expectations but somehow, James kept having some sort of “block” so it was hastily put on the back-burner for a couple of other numbers. Well, it shows, it happens to the best of them.

Overall, because it was a step away from the norm, an interesting and quality night. Only thing, for some reason, The Cluny doesn’t seem to be the place for “acoustic” shows, not that the sound suffers, but because for some reason, people tend to shy away. I don’t know why that should be, The Rails are one of the best acts you coud see, in Folk. Damnit, damnit, damnit - I dropped the “F"bomb…...

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...