Re: ******New YouTube Policy******

RickB wrote:
BarbieD wrote:
gary wrote:

I e enjoyed the videos posted by fellow forum members too.
Just throwing an idea out off the top of my head.Would there be a way to down load those videos into a channel run by Joe ?

I was wondering about something like that, too, Gary!

A lot are already on Joe’s JBTV channel. I know many of mine were when I was more actively taping. Sometimes the w/m would give credit, others not.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

20 (edited by NickelWound 2018-05-01 17:53:06)

nmagcorn wrote:

J&R has every right to go after people who take their official music and reupload it to make money off of it. Even though I don't make any money off of my stuff I have gone after countless people on youtube for reuploading my material. Unfortunately I don't trust youtube to always know the difference between official releases that are live and unofficial live videos. Youtube is a huge company that runs on computer algorithms and it's very hard to get strikes removed even if they were put on by mistake. So therefore I will be removing most of my Joe content from my channel. I don't want to run the risk of losing my channel and the music by other artists who are on it.

DISASTER! For the isolated among us Natasha was one of the few ways we could keep up with Joe. For the low income among us it was a way to see shows or parts of shows and then go out and buy the CD or DVD. I can't imagine how many DVD's or CD's I've bought because of Natasha's Channel....

Secondly, and this will create a firestorm I'm sure, I understand the offensiveness of rip offs and scoundrels making money off Joe's work and it is against the law and disgusting and an abuse of everything imaginable. I have had illustrations I created ripped off and used elsewhere so am all to familiar with the concept. However my drawings NEVER appeared without a copyright notice so as an artist Joe's work is absolutely copyright. What drives me CRAZY!!?.... is that for a lot of the up and coming artists the copyright was waived in favor of distribution. Joe is just one of the latest in a long string of artists who used YouTube, Napster, whoever (monetized or not) to get known, to get their work out there, and now that they are household names, want to cut off the very hand that made them known. I am not talking here about CD's DVD's or otherwise released material that we can buy. But what about the Blues cruises and those performances?

As mentioned in an above post the 'Pain and Sorrow @ Tangier' (I think that's where it was) is iconic and suddenly Joe who? became someone to really, really take notice of. So on the one hand I'm glad whenever an artist owns and regulates the distribution of their own work. But when the network used to distribute and get that artist know was done with full knowledge of the copyright infringement, I confess I'm a lot less sympathetic.

21 (edited by reo l 2018-05-01 20:44:36)

cindyron wrote:
samjp4 wrote:

Something else bothering me about this is the fact that so much of Joe's earlier history will be lost.  People are scared that a computer is going to swoop in and destroy years and years of hard or rare work, much of it by people who filmed Joe when hardly anyone knew who he was, and as a result I am guessing some very classic videos will disappear (think Pain and Sorrow at Tangiers or Reconsider Baby).  Linda's suggestion that some type of warning be given - remove the video or get a strike - is a good one.  I don't have a lot of videos on youtube but I don't want to lose any of them.I took down all but two of them today as a precaution.  It is the artist's prerogative to choose what he wants to allow but I just find it so sad that the ones who play by the rules get caught up in the mess caused by the naughty ones.  I don't think anyone on here has ever monetized any of their videos-it has always been a labor of love.

Peace,

Sandy

Well I suspect and hope the young ones and those that are not far evolved in their career can still use fan videos. They truly help the not so known talent. Then they reach a point I think that fan videos start to hurt as their career blossoms.  When they are able to capitalize on their hard work by having DVD’s and pro photos and vids they should be able to do that but our fan videos then get in the way. To me that’s a good sign it means all the fan videos have helped them so now they can reap all the rewards. It’s up to us to realize that and start backing off. A very good thing exspecially the way the music industry is or should I say isn’t.

Just a little note here: everything available on the internet right now for free on the day it's being officially released, so elimination of fan videos are not going to make people buy DVDs and CDs, only love and respect for the musicians  and their work.

22 (edited by gary 2018-05-01 22:04:01)

It’s a crazy world.Anyone remember Joe mentioning he went outside a show and took a t shirt from an unauthorized person selling Joe B t shirts?
It is a complicated biz and I hope it doesn’t mean the end of fan videos from the past or in the future being available on YouTube or some other place for instant access.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

I am so naive in business or internet, so just going to fantasize here without any actual knowledge. Maybe it is all being done in preparation for big launching of Joe's guitar channel? Maybe they going to have a fan video area there but it still going to be under Joe? And maybe Natasha and Linda could have a possibility to upload videos there, like have their own subchannel?

J&R said fan videos are ok.
so is it a bit of over reaction by some of the 'fan channels' pulling down every video up there?
or did YouTube start hitting fan videos too?

I guess it would be hard for YouTube to 'really' figure out what was what... esp if you have a 'extra' large channel that looks professional.

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

Hakuna Matata

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

26 (edited by DougH 2018-05-02 12:56:45)

JBWM wrote:

Video you filmed yourself with your own camera (from the audience) are still totally fine.

-JBWM

Note on original posting

---------------

27 (edited by nmagcorn 2018-05-18 11:06:18)

DougH wrote:
JBWM wrote:

Video you filmed yourself with your own camera (from the audience) are still totally fine.

-JBWM

Note on original posting

Theoretically that seems fine, however I have talked with the JBWM, and he told me "YouTube has told us that it identifies based on an exact waveform that will likely be very different from a live version". It's the word "likely" that bothers me. Especially considering they are going after people who have uploaded from their official live DVD/CD. What makes my live version of any song any different than their live version if it is only based on sound. And who knows how much of the sound needs to be identified and matched before it is striked. Is it the whole song, 30 seconds worth, a minute. It's not worth the risk and therefore 1,200 videos have been deleted.

28 (edited by reo l 2018-05-02 17:07:58)

nmagcorn wrote:
DougH wrote:
JBWM wrote:

-JBWM

Note on original posting

Theoretically that seems fine, however I have talked with Scott, the JBWM, and he told me "YouTube has told us that it identifies based on an exact waveform that will likely be very different from a live version". It's the word "likely" that bothers me. Especially considering they are going after people who have uploaded from their official live DVD/CD. What makes my live version of any song any different than their live version if it is only based on sound. And who knows how much of the sound needs to be identified and matched before it is striked. Is it the whole song, 30 seconds worth, a minute. It's not worth the risk and therefore 1,200 videos have been deleted.

So Natasha  * panic mode ON * - does it mean that you are not going to film and post any more of future Joe's videos on your channel? maybe you could create a second channel ( 2AnitrasDance?) just for JOE's videos ? This way the other artist's videos will stay safe and sound if youtube will ever decide to go after you?

nmagcorn wrote:

...1,200 videos have been deleted.

sad  But I completely understand. Thank you Natasha and hubby for everything.

reo l wrote:
nmagcorn wrote:
DougH wrote:

Note on original posting

Theoretically that seems fine, however I have talked with Scott, the JBWM, and he told me "YouTube has told us that it identifies based on an exact waveform that will likely be very different from a live version". It's the word "likely" that bothers me. Especially considering they are going after people who have uploaded from their official live DVD/CD. What makes my live version of any song any different than their live version if it is only based on sound. And who knows how much of the sound needs to be identified and matched before it is striked. Is it the whole song, 30 seconds worth, a minute. It's not worth the risk and therefore 1,200 videos have been deleted.

So Natasha  * panic mode ON * - does it mean that you are not going to film and post any more of future Joe's videos on your channel? maybe you could create a second channel ( 2AnitrasDance?) just for JOE's videos ? This way the other artist's videos will stay safe and sound if youtube will ever decide to go after you?

Given that they don't want any new songs filmed and the older ones that are being played all are ones that have been in official releases, I won't be filming Joe's shows for the forseeable future. If Joe makes a guest appearance at say a Paulie show, or benefit show or RCFP plays again, then I will try and be at those to film. Otherwise I am taking a step back from it all.

NickelWound wrote:
nmagcorn wrote:

You're welcome. This has been very difficult especially so because I know how much joy the videos have brought people and I feel really bad taking that away. I'm sorry. This was really the last thing I ever would have wanted to do. As I have said elsewhere, this has been a really sh*tty year and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

nmagcorn wrote:
NickelWound wrote:
nmagcorn wrote:

You're welcome. This has been very difficult especially so because I know how much joy the videos have brought people and I feel really bad taking that away. I'm sorry. This was really the last thing I ever would have wanted to do. As I have said elsewhere, this has been a really sh*tty year and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Hmm... Emotions aside this whole situation has very lets say strange feeling...

anyway... big thank you to you Natasha for everything you did and good luck with your channel

33 (edited by nmagcorn 2018-05-03 09:04:37)

Jane H. wrote:

They haven't changed their policy they merely have decided to not continue to allow those already going against it to continue un-hindered.
I am glad for the update here by JBWM. That update does not say they are disallowing live audience (not proshot etc.) vids. I have heard that  they have asked some of the regular tapers with good quality to refrain from uploading new songs or sets that haven't yet but are planned to be released officially. (ex. songs on upcoming album, the mini acoustic tour etc.)

Actually they have changed the policy recently and Scott neglected to mention it in what he wrote. It is not just regular tapers who are not allowed to film new songs. J&R have a global takedown policy in effect right now for all audience (Fan) videos of the first four new songs of Joe's current tour. If you upload these songs you will get a strike. Of course youtube is flaky in how it works so there was a full version of "Self Inflicted Wounds" from the UK was up for some time, it is now down and many others have been removed including someones short clip of Joe's solo in that song.

Copyright identification on youtube is incredibly bizarre. There is no rhyme or reason to it. I have many videos on my channel that have been identified as containing copyrighted material. There is a little c with a circle that shows up for the video on my video manager page and if you click on it it says "Copyrighted content was found in your video.The claimant is allowing their content to be used in your YouTube video. However, ads might appear on it." And then there is a listing of agencies who have claimed copyright and they indicate where in the song this was found. It truly makes no sense though. On Rock Candy Funk Party's original song "Dope On A Rope" four agencies claim copyright of a 40 second bit of the material: CMRRA, Sony ATV Publishing, SGAE-CS, UBEM. I still have RCFP on my channel. This is the song https://youtu.be/EMYYQZxQDvE and the part is from 2:30-3:10. Now if those entities decided to strike down copyrighted material, that video would have been pulled and I would have gotten a strike for 40 seconds worth of music. The system youtube uses is a bit screwed up in my mind.

Knowing how many shows you and Phil do and how you enjoy recording them.

Besides us watching them when we can't get to those shows.
sad

---------------

35 (edited by nmagcorn 2018-05-11 09:57:01)

I've been giving a lot of thought to all the Joe videos I removed and after talking with Joe and hearing his views and also hearing how this has affected so many of his fans, I have decided to make a new channel just dedicated to Joe. In my mind I keep seeing this hole out there in Joe world and I need to try and fill it up again. I won't be filming new shows of his for right now because I don't want the stress of not knowing what new material his people have decided to strike, however I will work at putting up the older stuff. If it gets struck down, then that's okay. At least it didn't take anyone else's stuff with it. Reuploading so much material will be a long process. Looking back at shows from over the past 6 years I realize there is so much I had forgotten. So it's nice to be reacquainted with some of the older material. The new channel name is "Natashas Best of Bonamassa" since I felt that kind of summed things up and people know my name. Subscribe if you want to keep up to date on what's being reuploaded. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbSehx … VSAhQEvrNw

Great news

Appreciate the effort

---------------