1 (edited by Jane H. 2018-04-27 14:48:48)

Topic: ******New YouTube Policy******

Hey all, Joe's team here.

So we've spent years just letting the YouTube community do their thing, and continued with our "Let fans be fans" approach, but things are getting pretty out of hand at this point. Years ago, people would just post Joe videos to get his name out there, but YouTube is a VERY different place these days. Monetizing videos by allowing ads to be run means that anyone can (and do) just grab a Joe DVD, rip it to their computer, upload them to YouTube, turn on all ads and make money from pirating Joe's catalog. Same goes for ripping a CD, adding some pictures and making a slide-show fan music video. 

First these were flattering, but now it's just rampant copyright claims. We've posted Joe videos to Joe's official channel and had a random user from central Africa claim to be the "copyright owner" since they're already running the same video with their ads on it. We have to take a stand.

So, as of this moment, J&R will be copyright striking all videos that were ever released by J&R on a DVD/Bluray, as well as FULL SONGS released on an audio CD, edited or un-edited.

Video you filmed yourself with your own camera (from the audience) are still totally fine.

If you have uploaded these kinds of videos to your YouTube, or know a fan that did, please take them down immediately, or message the person who can. Taking them down now will stop the system from automatically striking your channel. YouTube does not make it easy to contact channel owners, so we're trying to warn everyone before their channel gets bad marks.

Thanks for understanding, and realize that we're putting 1000% more effort into Joe's channel these days and this means much more content, including exclusive never-before-seen stuff.

-JBWM

Re: ******New YouTube Policy******

Thanks for the official word. Very understandable.
I've made this a sticky.

Since it wasn't J&R, I do have two Bloodline songs from the cd on my channel. Advice?

Looking forward to the new content on JBTV

Re: ******New YouTube Policy******

Jane H. wrote:

Thanks for the official word. Very understandable.
I've made this a sticky.

Since it wasn't J&R, I do have two Bloodline songs from the cd on my channel. Advice?

Looking forward to the new content on JBTV

Bloodline are totally out of our hands... So out of our hands, in fact, that we actually have some Bloodline videos that were copyright claimed by the big labels too!

Re: ******New YouTube Policy******

Thanks.
FWIW i edited your post just to try to highlight the thread title. After I made it a sticky I realized it didn't seem as obviously new to me (like I am to being mod.) smile not sure it helped.....
Good luck with the difficulty...please keep us posted and rely on us if we can be of any assistance as fans.

5 (edited by samjp4 2018-04-29 21:41:22)

Re: ******New YouTube Policy******

What if you make them private - will that still generate a strike?  I have a few videos I made years ago that feature my pictures that I took (legally at concerts) of Joe and use live audience recorded audio and I would hate to lose them.  I have never monetized any videos.  It's a shame that there are so many people who ruin it for us folk that play by the rules.

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

Re: ******New YouTube Policy******

How will youtube be able to differentiate between an official release and an audience filmed one if they sound similar and have the same title? Three strikes and you lose your channel. Should I start deleting thousands of Joe videos I filmed from the audience? My channel isn't monetized.

Re: ******New YouTube Policy******

samjp4 wrote:

What if you make them private - will that still generate a strike?  I have a few videos I made years ago that feature my pictures that I took (legally at concerts) of Joe and use live audience recorded audio and I would hate to lose them.  I have never monetized any videos.  It's a shame that there are so many people want to ruin it for us folk that play by the rules.

Sandy

This article says you can get a strike even if it's made private
https://www.quora.com/Can-a-YouTube-vid … ght-strike

Re: ******New YouTube Policy******

I’m leaving mine up. I’ve neither posted a ripped copy of official product, nor monetized my channel. YT itself has though, which I took as a compliment. Millions have watched them, and probably many have become paying fans. That is my intent.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Re: ******New YouTube Policy******

J&R has every right to go after people who take their official music and reupload it to make money off of it. Even though I don't make any money off of my stuff I have gone after countless people on youtube for reuploading my material. Unfortunately I don't trust youtube to always know the difference between official releases that are live and unofficial live videos. Youtube is a huge company that runs on computer algorithms and it's very hard to get strikes removed even if they were put on by mistake. So therefore I will be removing most of my Joe content from my channel. I don't want to run the risk of losing my channel and the music by other artists who are on it.

Re: ******New YouTube Policy******

nmagcorn wrote:

J&R has every right to go after people who take their official music and reupload it to make money off of it. Even though I don't make any money off of my stuff I have gone after countless people on youtube for reuploading my material. Unfortunately I don't trust youtube to always know the difference between official releases that are live and unofficial live videos. Youtube is a huge company that runs on computer algorithms and it's very hard to get strikes removed even if they were put on by mistake. So therefore I will be removing most of my Joe content from my channel. I don't want to run the risk of losing my channel and the music by other artists who are on it.

This is heartbreaking news, Natasha. You've recorded some of my favorite shows and I love reliving them through your videos. Just last week I was watching Vegas 2015 on the big screen tv. The videos are especially important to me now that I'm on a bit of a hiatus until the backup singers are gone. Technology giveth and technology taketh away. sad

LIVE MUSIC IS BEST

11 (edited by RoadcaseBoy 2018-04-29 19:05:57)

Re: ******New YouTube Policy******

BarbieD wrote:

This is heartbreaking news, Natasha. You've recorded some of my favorite shows and I love reliving them through your videos. ...

Ditto! ... Was rolling thru Wilmington Grand Opera House today ... fearing it would be soon gone (in a few weeks) ... got to relive through to mid set of 11/10/15 ... hit next song in the setlist and poof ... removed by the user ... as was the song that just played.  sad

I imagine even if by some miracle it all got clarified / straightened out between those involved (with regards to non official videos that are non monetized) ... the time it would take to upload all those years of shows again would be prohibitive.

Thank you and Phil for all the time and effort through the years ... reliving an attended show was a great way to spend some time after a long day.

"Bill Schechner has found one young man to busy for fantasy ... he's living it!"
"Why don't you just make 10 louder and make 10 be the top number and make that a little louder?" Marty DiBergi
Lamarr (bellhop): "We have movie stars in my hotel!" Faye: "They're musicians, actually." Lamarr: "Even better!" (That Thing You Do!)
JBLP#251 (unaged) ... thank you Ron.

Re: ******New YouTube Policy******

I have over 800 videos on my channel, most are of Joe, but I have many other artists on there too. All of which are filmed by me with on my little Lumix camera.  My concern, is that in the past, I have filmed videos of shows that were also being filmed for a DVD.  When asked not to post them until after the release of the DVD and I have always complied. These videos have been up for several years and are not monetized, but will the YouTube program that flags videos be able to distinguish the videos that I have made from the audience from the professional ones released by J&R, if it's from the same show?  I really don't want to have to go deleting hundreds of videos in fear of that mistake. Yet, if I leave them up, and that computer program just flags them mistakenly, I could easily have 3 strikes in a second and loose my entire channel. For now, I am siding with Rick B on this, as all my videos are filmed by me and I have never ripped off anyone's DVDs or Cds and posted them. I wish that This new policy would just flag a video of concern and ask the channel owner to take it down or a strike will be given. The way it is now, seems to have a lot of room for mistakes, with the channel owner having no recourse of action.   Linda Moke                 

JBWM wrote:

Hey all, Joe's team here.

So we've spent years just letting the YouTube community do their thing, and continued with our "Let fans be fans" approach, but things are getting pretty out of hand at this point. Years ago, people would just post Joe videos to get his name out there, but YouTube is a VERY different place these days. Monetizing videos by allowing ads to be run means that anyone can (and do) just grab a Joe DVD, rip it to their computer, upload them to YouTube, turn on all ads and make money from pirating Joe's catalog. Same goes for ripping a CD, adding some pictures and making a slide-show fan music video. 

First these were flattering, but now it's just rampant copyright claims. We've posted Joe videos to Joe's official channel and had a random user from central Africa claim to be the "copyright owner" since they're already running the same video with their ads on it. We have to take a stand.

So, as of this moment, J&R will be copyright striking all videos that were ever released by J&R on a DVD/Bluray, as well as FULL SONGS released on an audio CD, edited or un-edited.

Video you filmed yourself with your own camera (from the audience) are still totally fine.

If you have uploaded these kinds of videos to your YouTube, or know a fan that did, please take them down immediately, or message the person who can. Taking them down now will stop the system from automatically striking your channel. YouTube does not make it easy to contact channel owners, so we're trying to warn everyone before their channel gets bad marks.

Thanks for understanding, and realize that we're putting 1000% more effort into Joe's channel these days and this means much more content, including exclusive never-before-seen stuff.

-JBWM

Keep looking at the bright side~~ Lindy

Re: ******New YouTube Policy******

Yes it is, and if they don't want us to film, that is absolutely their prerogative. But, you can't have it both ways, encouraging fan videos and then give them strikes for it! I'm all for going after the pirates, but trusting YouTube's computer programs is another story.  I had a strike against me once and there is no warning, just a strike and your video disappears. There is nothing I could do about it, If I had 3 I would lose my entire channel.  If Joe wants me to take down all the videos I've taken of him, I will.  He has every right to them, he is completely the content owner, but if my channel is taken down, all the other artist, that still want exposure and free promotion, will be hurt as their videos will come down too. 

cindyron wrote:

Many other artists I know of are doing the same. They say they all are cracking down. So it’s just not JR. It’s there right it is their image.

Keep looking at the bright side~~ Lindy

Re: ******New YouTube Policy******

Something else bothering me about this is the fact that so much of Joe's earlier history will be lost.  People are scared that a computer is going to swoop in and destroy years and years of hard or rare work, much of it by people who filmed Joe when hardly anyone knew who he was, and as a result I am guessing some very classic videos will disappear (think Pain and Sorrow at Tangiers or Reconsider Baby).  Linda's suggestion that some type of warning be given - remove the video or get a strike - is a good one.  I don't have a lot of videos on youtube but I don't want to lose any of them.I took down all but two of them today as a precaution.  It is the artist's prerogative to choose what he wants to allow but I just find it so sad that the ones who play by the rules get caught up in the mess caused by the naughty ones.  I don't think anyone on here has ever monetized any of their videos-it has always been a labor of love.

Peace,

Sandy

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

Re: ******New YouTube Policy******

Lindy Lu wrote:

I have over 800 videos on my channel, most are of Joe, but I have many other artists on there too. All of which are filmed by me with on my little Lumix camera.  My concern, is that in the past, I have filmed videos of shows that were also being filmed for a DVD.  When asked not to post them until after the release of the DVD and I have always complied. These videos have been up for several years and are not monetized, but will the YouTube program that flags videos be able to distinguish the videos that I have made from the audience from the professional ones released by J&R, if it's from the same show?  I really don't want to have to go deleting hundreds of videos in fear of that mistake. Yet, if I leave them up, and that computer program just flags them mistakenly, I could easily have 3 strikes in a second and loose my entire channel. For now, I am siding with Rick B on this, as all my videos are filmed by me and I have never ripped off anyone's DVDs or Cds and posted them. I wish that This new policy would just flag a video of concern and ask the channel owner to take it down or a strike will be given. The way it is now, seems to have a lot of room for mistakes, with the channel owner having no recourse of action.   Linda Moke                 

JBWM wrote:

Hey all, Joe's team here.

So we've spent years just letting the YouTube community do their thing, and continued with our "Let fans be fans" approach, but things are getting pretty out of hand at this point. Years ago, people would just post Joe videos to get his name out there, but YouTube is a VERY different place these days. Monetizing videos by allowing ads to be run means that anyone can (and do) just grab a Joe DVD, rip it to their computer, upload them to YouTube, turn on all ads and make money from pirating Joe's catalog. Same goes for ripping a CD, adding some pictures and making a slide-show fan music video. 

First these were flattering, but now it's just rampant copyright claims. We've posted Joe videos to Joe's official channel and had a random user from central Africa claim to be the "copyright owner" since they're already running the same video with their ads on it. We have to take a stand.

So, as of this moment, J&R will be copyright striking all videos that were ever released by J&R on a DVD/Bluray, as well as FULL SONGS released on an audio CD, edited or un-edited.

Video you filmed yourself with your own camera (from the audience) are still totally fine.

If you have uploaded these kinds of videos to your YouTube, or know a fan that did, please take them down immediately, or message the person who can. Taking them down now will stop the system from automatically striking your channel. YouTube does not make it easy to contact channel owners, so we're trying to warn everyone before their channel gets bad marks.

Thanks for understanding, and realize that we're putting 1000% more effort into Joe's channel these days and this means much more content, including exclusive never-before-seen stuff.

-JBWM


Want to thank you Linda, your video was the first video of Joe that I have seen ( The Thrill is Gone at Baked Potato ) and it made me a fan. I have spent hours and hours watching and rewatching every video of Joe on your channel, it felt like I discovered a new world. Your videos of 2016 Dolby theater concerts are one of my favorites. Also I absolutely love your video of Just got Paid from Beacon, I think it is better than an official video, because yours captured the energy and feel of Joe playing which is lacking from the official DVD. Your videos from Baked Potato are priceless, Albert Hall, KBTA II - so amazing. Please don't take them down. Your channel will not be the same without it. Although the other artists on your page are wonderful and talented you can put them all on one side of the scale and Joe on another - he outweighs them all

Re: ******New YouTube Policy******

nmagcorn wrote:

J&R has every right to go after people who take their official music and reupload it to make money off of it. Even though I don't make any money off of my stuff I have gone after countless people on youtube for reuploading my material. Unfortunately I don't trust youtube to always know the difference between official releases that are live and unofficial live videos. Youtube is a huge company that runs on computer algorithms and it's very hard to get strikes removed even if they were put on by mistake. So therefore I will be removing most of my Joe content from my channel. I don't want to run the risk of losing my channel and the music by other artists who are on it.


Natasha... just looked at your channel - almost cried... It looks now like an old Christmas tree in the corner weeks after the holiday. So not the same without Joe. Are you sure you are not overreacting? I am so sad. Some of your videos of Joe I've been watching on my darkest and most depressing days as a godsend medicine. So angry at myself now that I didn't save them. Could not even imagine that you would ever delete it. No mr Kyps or power trio on KTBA... The show with Beth on the cruise of 2016... Those hours and hours of treasures... I sincerely hope you will reapload at least some of it after the smoke will clear

Re: ******New YouTube Policy******

reo l wrote:
nmagcorn wrote:

J&R has every right to go after people who take their official music and reupload it to make money off of it. Even though I don't make any money off of my stuff I have gone after countless people on youtube for reuploading my material. Unfortunately I don't trust youtube to always know the difference between official releases that are live and unofficial live videos. Youtube is a huge company that runs on computer algorithms and it's very hard to get strikes removed even if they were put on by mistake. So therefore I will be removing most of my Joe content from my channel. I don't want to run the risk of losing my channel and the music by other artists who are on it.


Natasha... just looked at your channel - almost cried... It looks now like an old Christmas tree in the corner weeks after the holiday. So not the same without Joe. Are you sure you are not overreacting? I am so sad. Some of your videos of Joe I've been watching on my darkest and most depressing days as a godsend medicine. So angry at myself now that I didn't save them. Could not even imagine that you would ever delete it. No mr Kyps or power trio on KTBA... The show with Beth on the cruise of 2016... Those hours and hours of treasures... I sincerely hope you will reapload at least some of it after the smoke will clear

It has been a difficult day, full of quite a few tears. Who knows I may be overacting, but I don't feel I can chance it. Youtube is incredibly difficult to deal with when you have an issue. Joe gave me permission this week to film his new songs, I posted 2 of them and received a strike on one. I contacted J&R and told them Joe gave me permission and said I would remove the video myself. They have tried repeatedly to retract the strike, but youtube is giving them the run around. So I don't trust the way youtube works. I have too many other artists on my channel whose performances are important and who need the exposure.

Re: ******New YouTube Policy******

reo...your English is better than mine smile
sad to read about live audience vids getting deleted and thanks again from me to the tapers, I've always appreciated the efforts and sharing as i hope i have expressed before. along with my appreciation for Joe and Co allowing the live recordings and sharing them.
I understand the dilemma of whether to keep and risk channel or delete. I'm sure these are unintended circumstances but a shame nonetheless.