1 (edited by NickelWound 2017-07-14 17:34:33)

Topic: In 15 words or more

In response to Angela's thread I thought it might be fun to turn things around a bit and find some of the longest lyric lines ever dreamed of. So the quest is not just for many words in a row but for complete sentences, commas, permitted so remember your grade school grammar and no using comma's for periods. I thought I'd start it off with these.

So get all those blues must be a thousand hues and each is differently used you just know. (from Bluebird by Buffalo Springfield)

If I had ever been here before on another time around the wheel I would probably know just how to deal, with all of you. (from CSN the song Deja Vu)

And not being completely insensitive I could tell my ship had run aground is when I puckered up you know she puckered down. (lyle lovett from My Baby Don't Tolerate)

2 (edited by Rocket 2017-07-15 13:44:02)

Re: In 15 words or more

"When I look inside your head, right up front to the back of your skull".

by BÖC- "Harvester of Eyes", from Secret Treaties.

Rock ON & Don't fear any reaper, Keep The Faith,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Seagull, you must have known for a long time
The shape of things to come.

4 (edited by NickelWound 2017-07-15 19:49:46)

He cooked good omelets and stews and I might have stayed on with him there but my heart cried out for you California. (Joni Mitchell from the song California)

Do you know what it means when there's no one to bring you good news?

"Well, my heart went 'BOOM!' when I crossed that room, and I held her hand in mine."

Rock ON & Keep The Faith,
Rocket

“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

An angel is missing from heaven tonight
And if they start counting they'll see that I'm right

Ronnie Dio - An Angel Is Missing

i sit here wondering if anything you ever said was true, and who it was that taught you to speak bullets without considering the exit wound, tell me who

flatsound | you said okay

9 (edited by Rocket 2017-07-17 23:29:46)

reo l wrote:

An angel is missing from heaven tonight
And if they start counting they'll see that I'm right

Ronnie Dio - An Angel Is Missing

Ahnnnttt!!! Rule infraction yikes Reject! That's a lookin' like a case of using a period as a comma.  Wait, the rule's the other way around!  tongue What says the legislature, NW?!  Shouldn't both instances creep afoul!! hmm  Addendum?

Rock ON & Keep Accounting The Faith,
Rocket

ps- good find for rare early (he wasn't always Dio) Ronald, though!

10 (edited by NickelWound 2017-07-18 12:12:03)

Yeah I have to go with Rocket here on both examples @reo I. Not trying to be the language police but is a common misconception that a sentence can't begin with a conjunction such as 'and', 'but' or 'so' but it is not true. The "Angel is missing...' expresses two completely different thoughts and the second example really does break the rule of using a comma where a period should be. This exercise is tougher than it looks. hmm

11 (edited by NickelWound 2017-07-18 15:00:38)

Jane H. wrote:

Nickelwound...but if reo's are technically foul, wouldn't your first one be also?

Well if you are referring to 'Bluebird' the 'and' still refers to the 'colors and hues' and they are differently used. So it would be correct just as it is in this sentence. The 'you just know' is still referring to the different 'blues'.

The second reo I quote clearly expresses different thoughts in the same sentence which would classify as an ROS (run on sentence). The 'and' is really being used as the start of a new thought or statement.

Hmm  time to fall back on Brian Hyland.... only problem, commas or hyphens; adjudicator?

"It was an itsy-bitsy, teenie-weenie, yellow polka-dot bikini that she wore for the first time today."

More sensible; how about Simon & Garfunkel - The Boxer:-
"All lies and jest, still, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

Bob Dylan - It's Alright, Ma:-
"Bent out of shape from society's pliers, cares not to come up any higher, but rather get you down in the hole that he's in."

Fleetwood Mac - Oh Well :-
"Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

13 (edited by BansheeUK 2017-07-19 07:02:05)

Couple more to mull over;

Anthrax - Schism:-
"If we were blind and had no choice, would we hate each other by the tone of our voice?"

Righteous Brothers - Rock and Roll Heaven:-
"If there's a rock and roll heaven, well, you know they got a hell of a band."

Crosby, Stills & Nash - Wooden Ships
"If you smile at me I will understand, cause that is something everybody everywhere does in the same language."

Bob Seger - No Man's Land:-
"One victim lives in tragedy, another victim stops to stare, and still another walks on by pretending not to see."

Rolling Stones - Dead Flowers:-
"Send me dead flowers to my wedding and I won't forget to put roses on your grave."

and ending on a classic:-
"So tonight you better stop and rebuild all your ruins, because peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlNhD0oS5pk

14 (edited by NickelWound 2017-07-19 14:12:32)

And he carries the reminders of every glove that laid him down and cut him till he cried out in his anger and his shame. (The Boxer - Paul Simon

The way we look to a distant constellation that's dying in the corner of the sky. (The Boy in the Bubble - Paul Simon)

Richard got married to a figure skater and he bought her a dishwasher and a Coffee percolator. (Last Time I saw Richard - Joni Mitchell)

Four more exits to my apartment and I am tempted to leave the car in drive and leave it all behind. (Why Georgia - John Mayer)

15 (edited by BansheeUK 2017-07-20 05:47:05)

Few more to chew on:-
Merle Haggard, The Fighting Side Of Me;
"Read about some squirrelly guy who claims that he just don't believe in fighting, and I wonder how long the rest of us can count on being free."

Jackson Browne - Say It Isn't True;
"You would think with all the genius and the brilliance of these times, we might find a higher purpose and a better use of mind."

Jerry Lee Lewis - Great Balls of Fire;
"You shake my nerves and you rattle my brain, too much love drives a man insane."

Kenny Rogers - The Gambler;
"You got to know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away, and know when to run."

Rolling Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want;
"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime you just might find, you get what you need."

Bob Dylan, The Times They Are A-Changin';
"You better start swimming or sink like a stone, cause the times they are a-changing."

ZZ Top, I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide
"With my New York brim and my gold tooth displayed, nobody give me trouble cause they know I've got it made."

Elvis Presley,
It's Now Or Never;
"When I first saw you with your smile so tender, my heart was captured, my soul surrendered."
Heartbreak Hotel;
"Since my baby left me, I've found a new place to dwell, down at the end of Lonely Street at Heartbreak Hotel."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN7RE-HVGNQ
you show up on my doorstep, with honey dripping from your mouth like some slackjaw jezebel

17 (edited by NickelWound 2017-07-20 17:05:00)

Jane H. wrote:

um...OK? lol...rules schmules but I am a good girl..I'll still play by them hmm

Well I'm not sure if this will help but remember. It's not necessarily about the way the singer sings the words that makes them sentences. @The Wing above demonstrates that really well with the Gov't Mule song. It sounds like three sentences because of the way Warren Haynes sings the words, but if you were to write them out, then it would read as a single sentence. So I guess the best way to see if a thing works is to try to think of using the phrase in an essay or a letter.

In any event you don't seem to be having any trouble coming up with some beauties yourself big_smile

thems some more wacky outfits they have, but you didn't finish the verse ? All I can think of after now .... " is here to stay ", would that be correct ?

Jane H. wrote:

And I've decided that we're really not to blame for the love that's deep inside us now

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t-iJ47in9YQ

As corn through a goose, so are the days of our lives