Topic: Mr Kyps - Friday 3rd August

As the other reviews have said, this show was absolutely fantastic and i have to say i couldn't agree more.

My Dad an I were lucky enough to be able to go to both the Tavistock concert and the one at Mr Kyps the following night. We flerw over to Bristol on the 1st, rented a car then flew back home again into Belfast on the 5th.

I arrived at Mr Kyps at around 5:30 but as there wasnt a queue forming yet, my dad and i decided to ahv a drink in a nearby pub. At around 6 i saw Michael Lynch, micky2, Annelies and Marianne whom i had met at Tavistock the previous evening walking up the hill towards the venue. The 2 parties merged and after a quick drink we headed over to join the queue that had already been started by LynB and her husband. After a short while we were joined by gsj, and im sure some others form the forum (please forgive me if i have forgotten) and fomr about 7 onwards the queue began to extend quite a bit.

When then doors opened we all dashed for a place in the front row and i could tell it was going to be agood concert as the front row consited more or less of forum members big_smile. Another sign that it was going to be a good concert was the support act (Martin Harley) was actually enjoyable to listen to, but enough of that, onto the main event.

As I'm sure most of you are aware the show began with bogie holding a rock stead beat of Bridge to better days while the rest of the band assumed their positions. Joe came walking out with a confident smile on his face that told you it was ging to rock, and sure enough it did. Bridge to better days was great as ever, followed by walk in my shadow that got the front row marching. Next was an interesting song called "Blue Tea" on the setlist that was a mixture of Tea for One with Blues deluxe lyrics. I have no idea where Joe got the idea for that one form or why it seemed to be only played at that show but it was fantastic, like a new song you already know and love.

Following this was Mountain Time, which was as you would expect fantastic. Next wa Another kind of Love off the new albu that had a great groove to it and following this was the legendary Sloe Gin that was performed so well. 3 acoustics songs followed which were, High water everywhere, Heartaches were Nickels and Woke up Dreaming. The acoustic sounded fantastic that night and it was one of the best Woke up Dreamings I've heard, I love that song live.

After the acoustic songs Django was played which allowed the band members to come back on stage and at the end of it Joe quickly swapped guitars to the Les Paul again and started playing Just Got paid with the fantastic solos by Joe and Bogie, Bogie's solo seemed to be different and have mor energy that the one in Tavistock and it was brilliant. Asking around for you followed this as an encore with a great we jam at the end with great interaction between the band members.

To finish the whole night off Joe cxame bak out on his own and said "Well, it's friday night and we got nothing better to do" and finished off with an acoustic Miss you Hate You.

All in all it was a fantastic concert and it was all topped off nicely when Joe invitied a couple of us onto the bus for a bit of a chat.

A big thanks to Joe and the rest of the band for putitng on a fantastic performance and also a big thank you to everyone else from the forum who made the experience even more enjoyable.

Cheers,
Matt

Re: Mr Kyps - Friday 3rd August

Hi Matt, nice review !!!
It comes all back to me now. "Blue Tea"... i want some!!!
What a great evening ,it's gonna be in my memory for a long time.

So nice to meet you, your dad and all the others.

Annelies

3 (edited by micky two 2007-08-07 11:26:42)

hi matt  what a great two days that was and how cool spending that time on the tour bus
with joe what a great bloke he is spending that time with us.
it was great to meet you and your dad again your dad said to me as we parted
that we will proberly never see each other again some how i dont think that will be the last
time we all meet at a joe concert but if we dont we will all remember that night
for the rest of our lives it was great.

Great review Matt, nice to hear that the show went great as usual.  Can't wait to hear some of the new songs that is on Sloe Gin performed live.  What a better way to spend a Friday than listening to Joe live along with some fellow forum friends...

Music is good for the Soul...

Thanks for the excellent review Matt.  It bought back all the happy memories of a truly brilliant night ......  (and I'd almost forgotten about Blue Tea!)  Glad you and dad got back home safe and sound.  Good luck with those GCSEs!

AWESOME! AWESOME! AND AWESOME!
Hubby (Dujon) and I travelled down from Herefordshire, and it was worth every moment. We were part of the few starting to que at 6 o'clock to get right to the front. Dujon had bought the tickets for my birthday (44) and I will never forget that birthday especially as I managed to catch Joe poping out to the tour bus and asked for a photo with him. What a great bloke, he said that was fine and asked where we were from and then shook both our hands and said "have a great time". Dujon was hoping a little magic had rubbed off onto his hand as he plays guitar in a blues/rock band, by the end of the nite he wanted to come home a burn all his guitars but it has on reflection inspired him. We were just awed by Joe and I couldn't take my eyes off him, the sound, everything. It's now Tuesday and as i'm writing this I am still on a high. We have lots of friends who come over for "JB nites" when we watch his dvd's and drink lots of homemade wine. Our friends will get fed up of us telling them about the gig but we can't stop talking about it. "Thanks Joe"

I also went to both Tavistock and Mr Kyps shows and agree that the latter was the better night. As well as the band seeming more at home in the venue the acoustics were much better - although at the front I could hear all the band and instruments clearly, which definitely was not the case at Tavistock - so well done Mr Kyps!
Thanks for info. Matt with regards to Blue Tea - I knew that the solo was from Tea for One but also knew the vocals were different - my confusion is now over. I'm very envious of the guys that managed to get to speak to Joe - I hung around for half an hour or so but then left for home - I live in West Wales and drove around 900 miles on the two days/nights so was feeling a bit tired! It's the 4th time I've seen JB now and as another forum member has said Joe's prodigious talent on guitar can both depress and inspire us mere mortals but watching him play live (and I've seen some of the legends over the years - Rory Gallagher in his prime, Gary Moore, Carlos Santana, Andy Latimer) simply serves to confirm that he is very special indeed and undoubtedly one of the greats - so keep it coming Joe and hurry back to the UK please!

Hi All,
I can only agree with all posted to date - great gig, great playing, great bloke !!
Joe's rise to the top of the tree is moving apace, and with his talent the sky's the limit !
However, what I would like to mention is Joe seemed totally relaxed and confident on Friday night. His interaction with both band and audience was there for all to see, and showed that not only is the guy enourmously talented but is also a really nice bloke (never loose that Joe no matter how far you go). Throwing plectrums and his strap to the crowd (however caught that , don't you dare Ebay it !!) , he seemed to be having a ball - this to the point of cracking up with laughter halfway through "Asking Around For You". Did this spoil the number...no way, it was great to see Joe enjoying himself.
It is rumoured that this was the last time we will see Joe at Mr Kyps. I really hope not. I think Joe has great affection for the place, and we certainly have for him ! I just have a feeling he'll be back one day. Good luck in all you do Joe. You have a rare and special talent - you really do feel the music.
Make mine a Sloe Gin !!

P.S. A quick well done to Martin Harley, and shame on the morons who spoke throughout his set !