Topic: Excited To "Discover" JB!

Hello folks!

Several months ago I was asked to listen to a few Joe Bonamassa songs. Now to understand me, you need to know that I am kind of stuck in the 70's when it comes to music. I am a massive classic rock/southern rock fan. Rarely if ever do I open my senses to new music. But... I listened to the JB songs as requested. The songs were "Different Shades Of Blue" and "Blue and Evil". Immediately I realized what a fool I have been to close my mind to new music!

The first thing I noticed and felt was that JB made his guitar an extension of his voice. Few artists can do that, one who comes to mind is David Gilmour of Pink Floyd. I'm not saying JB sounds like David Gilmour, I'm saying his distinctive guitar playing becomes more than just guitar playing.

So for the past 4 months I have dug deep into JB's astonishing catalog of songs and I am hooked! Every few weeks I buy a new CD or DVD and excitingly rush home to discover what will be my "new favorite song". Other than busting my budget, discovering JB's music has been an amazing adventure.

Next week my wife and I will be seeing our first concert and we (Yes, she is now a JB fan as well - her favorite song is"Drive") are so excited!

Moral of this story is a closed mind is a stagnate mind

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it  smile

2 (edited by RoadcaseBoy 2017-03-08 16:32:25)

Re: Excited To "Discover" JB!

Welcome Spirit (nice handle) to the Forum.

Nice introduction ... many here have had the same experience as you.  Even though this is the JB Fourm ... there are many classic rock / southern rock fans here ... including myself ... who have gotten to know of many other great artists (new and old) thru the experiences of other members here ... who share a performance review, a song link, or a video they captured.

It's a shame a lot of great new music gets lost in today's media world ... but on the other hand ... that same world also gives us places like this ... with great members ... who help get the word out.   It helped me get out of my "classic rock only rut" smile ... and gave me a greater appreciation of music.

Lastly,  although I will pull out an old classic album for a spin often ... Joe has been the only artist I have never had an ebb and flow period with ... he has so much good stuff out ... I'm always "dropping the needle" on something of his.  (I'm a Live album guy ... so I would say if ur pinching pennies ... start with the Live CD's ... and DVD's!!! ... it's a visual appreciation too!! big_smile)

Welcome and enjoy the ride ... and your Bonabaptism next week.

"I was in Space for less than 2 weeks … and suddenly Jeaniene’s back … half the Band is off the gd wagon … we have comedians opening for us … and the nice kid that ran our website is now a kleptof’nmaniac.  Boy ... did you guys miss me!!"  Phil Valentine - Road Manager - Staton House Band

JBLP#251 (unaged) ... thank you Ron.

Welcome Spirit, glad to have you aboard. My history is similar, I'm an old school 60's & 70's Rock and Roller. Not much interested me beyond that period, until I discovered Joe about five years ago. Enjoy your live Joe experience, you'll have a great time. BTW, Joe starts on time, every time, so don't be late!

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How I’d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

Thanks!

I grew up in the disco era and was as anti-disco as they come. While most of my friends were at the discos, I was out partying to Black Sabbath. Montrose, Led Zeppelin. I guess that was some of the reason I never gave new music much of a chance. I would hear songs and artists here and there and enjoy it, but kept slapping Skynyrd and The Marshall Tucker Band on the turntable.

I will say I much prefer the harder stuff from JB, but I can also appreciated some of the softer tunes as well. Currently, without question, my favorite song is "Song Of Yesterday". I can listen to that song over and over and pick up new nuances.

As my catalog of JB music grows, I tend to find more and more songs that touch me in different ways. So glad I found his music and I'm pumped to see him live next week.

Welcome Spirit. You have an enormous treat in store. Joe live is a big step up from his recorded stuff. Give us a review please, we all lust after Bonavirgin reports.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

I most certainly will file a newbie report smile

Welcome! Beautifully written. You sound intelligent, kind and fun. Joe attracts the best people!

reo l wrote:

Welcome! Beautifully written. You sound intelligent, kind and fun. Joe attracts the best people!

As Meatloaf sang - Two out of three ain't bad  tongue

Hi Spirit. My story is also pretty much the same as yours. If you haven't bought it already I would definitely recommend live at Rockpalast. Awesome talent and sound. My personal favourite. Again welcome. big_smile

Come on the Blades (sorry Idolbone just had to borrow your line)

PSmith1946 wrote:

Hi Spirit. My story is also pretty much the same as yours. If you haven't bought it already I would definitely recommend live at Rockpalast. Awesome talent and sound. My personal favourite. Again welcome. big_smile

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll certainly check that out!

Spirit wrote:
PSmith1946 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll certainly check that out!

Be aware that the old power trio format is a thing of the past and won't be seen other than very rarely in special shows. Great while it lasted.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

12 (edited by DougH 2017-03-16 11:06:54)

also note that some videos and some cd's are only on digital download from here on Joe's store
(ANDY Live DVD and Shepard's Bush Empire cd come to mind)

I've just been re-working my JB Discography..
year date might be slightly wrong as they come from Wikipedia idea of release date vs actual recording date.
and Wikipedia keeps Studio and Live in separate listings.
I've combined them in relevance order
(please note.. we should beg J&R to release an official RockPalast CD.. as I had to make my own from the DVD)

[note: does not include Live DVD/Blu-Ray release's]

Joe Bonamassa discography
1-A New Day Yesterday  2000
2-ANDY Live 2002
3-So, It's Like That  2002
4-Blues Deluxe 2003
5-Had to Cry Today 2004
6-RockPalast 2005
7-Shepherds Bush Empire 2007
8-You & Me 2006
9-Sloe Gin 2007
10-Live from Nowhere in Particular 2008
11-The Ballad of John Henry  2009
12-Black Rock 2010
13-RAH 2009
14-Dust Bowl 2011
15-Beacon Theatre: Live From New York 2011
16-Driving Towards the Daylight 2012
17-An Acoustic Evening at the Vienna Opera House 2012
18-Tour de Force – Live from the Borderline 2013
19-Tour de Force – Live from the Shepherd’s Bush Empire 2013
20-Tour de Force – Live from the Hammersmith Apollo 2013
21-Tour de Force – Live from the Royal Albert Hall  2013
22-Different Shades of Blue 2014
23-Muddy Wolf At Red Rocks 2014
24-Live at Radio City Music Hall 2015
25-Live at the Greek Theatre 2016
26-Blues of Desperation 2016

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)