19 (edited by gsj 2007-08-07 18:00:27)

Re: Sound

I was at the very front at Mr Kyps on the 3rd, right of stage as you look at it. The sound at the front was as you'd expect straight from the stage.....unbalanced. The keyboard monitors were louder than Joe's vocals in parts...and his guitar too, but I was standing next to them so that's to be expected. The PA was making my ears ring after about 20 minutes (well, I'm getting on a bit in years smile ) so my wife and myself went to get a cool beer and listen from the area of the mixing desk. The view was still good from that far back and the sound was great. Everything was well balanced and perfectly clear. I understand the 'less is more' school of thought and a guitar into an amp with a clear signal path is unbeatable but I really don't think that there was anything wrong with the overall sound or particularly Joe's tone on that night. We had a brief chat and a drink with my mate Martin Harley who did a great job as the supporting act and watched the rest of Joe's amazing performance in relative comfort....with more beer!!....and we met Joe after the show too. Happy days smile !!

never give up, never slow down
never grow old, never ever die young

Cuztard Pi:  Are you going to be posting your recording of the show on Dime?  I'm dying to hear "Blue Tea".  He used to do something similar with Blues Deluxe & Reconsider Baby...you didn't know which direction he was going to go.  I enjoyed your last recording that I DL'd and would enjoy hearing this one as well.  Please share!

Thanks for your time & effort in taping.

CarljMD

Takers get the honey, givers sing the blues

Hey Blueser48 no problems .. & you are obviously a very nice guy not to bite back at my efforts at 'frog dissection' (nice metaphor NPB_EST.1979 ! .. LOL). It's just a shame you didn't enjoy the show as much as you would have liked. It might not be 'rock 'n roll' but as gsj stated, moving back from the stage can make a big improvement to what you hear ... as well as a few ear drops LOL.

I too appreciate the stripped down style of some bands. You can't beat guitar/bass/drums in a small club with little else to detract from the raw music. Direct, immediate, primal, emotive. That why I like small venues like Mr Kyps. Actually I would class Walter Trout in this category. But I would agree that Walter can get a bit repetitive and lose it a bit with all those extended solos. I saw him do his power trio thing at Mr Kyps in March, which did suffer from guitar solo overkill in places IMO.

I was so chuffed in 2005 to get to see Joe in the UK having been a fan for some time (£8 for a ticket !!!! bargain or what!!!). That was my 1st time at Mr Kyps which has now become one of my favourite venues.

CarljMD wrote:

Cuztard Pi:  Are you going to be posting your recording of the show on Dime?  I'm dying to hear "Blue Tea".  .....  I enjoyed your last recording that I DL'd and would enjoy hearing this one as well.  Please share!

Yes CarljMD I do plan to put up my recording of the 3rd Aug show on Dime in due course (once I have transferred & mastered it ... soon'ish) as I have done with my 2 previous recordings of Joe @ Mr Kyps (18-May-05 "First Ever English Show" & 14-Feb-06 "We'll Always Be Loyal And Come Back"). Glad you liked them. Hopefully this one will come out as nice as the others did. "Blue Tea" was just spectacular. I was smiling all over my face when they started playing it & so surprised how well the alternate vocal fitted in ... I guess that's the blues for you.

Unfortunately I missed the extra show (31/7/7) so unless someone else recorded that one, it's gone forever ...

... & Blueser48 if you are not able to download from Dime I would be happy to send you a copy of my recording so that you can give the gig a 2nd chance. Drop me an email if you are interested.

Cheers - Steve

Great News, C.P.  Please post a heads-up here (perhaps under Master Sticky BitTorrent threads in Show Reviews, etc) when it's up, we'll get that baby cookin!

CarljMD

P.S.  I LOVE "We'll Be Loyal and Always Come Back" :-)

Takers get the honey, givers sing the blues

what i lack in tech talk is made up for with comic releif!  wink

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

24 (edited by CuztardPi 2007-10-31 04:38:26)

CarljMD wrote:

Great News, C.P.  Please post a heads-up here (perhaps under Master Sticky BitTorrent threads in Show Reviews, etc) when it's up, we'll get that baby cookin!

CarljMD

P.S.  I LOVE "We'll Be Loyal and Always Come Back" :-)

It's UP!!!

http://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtop … 563#p25563
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta … ?id=158072

enjoy!!!!

Cheers - Steve