Topic: Burstbuckers Pups & Joe

Hey folks,

Recently picked up a reissue SG with Burstbuckers 1 & 2.   I've seen here that Joe uses or has used Burstbuckers in the past.   I had an LP with them but changed them really before I got any experience with them.  I play in a blues band and a rock band.  Just recently during practice with the rock band I began to get microphonic feedback from the gain and what I guess is the non-wax potted pups.  I then had practice with the blues band and with less gain I still managed to get some feedback, more than normally.   I have 2 questions for you experts.  1st how does Joe play at the volume he plays at with the gain/overdrive he gets with those pups, does he have a tech pot them?   What is abnormal microphonic feedback, obviously when you play with a lot of gain you are going to get a certain amount?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Marc

Re: Burstbuckers Pups & Joe

I play in a small room with unpotted pups and haven't had a problem if the pups were wound right.  Joe cheats and uses the plexi screens in front of amps and them mic's to the PA.  He has a lot of control over stage volume this way.  I'm surprised your having a problem with the burstbuckers, I had them in an R8 and feedback was always very controllable.  What amp?  What pedals?  Maybe they need to be adjusted.  Just a thought. 
Good luck.

Re: Burstbuckers Pups & Joe

Thanks for the reply.   SG custom shop straight into a Mesa Boogie F50 I use for practice with a band.  However, I did notice less feedback when using my Marshall DSL 50 head.