Topic: Rock Candy Funk Party

I'm in the middle of watching Rock Candy Funk Party from a 2014 New Year's Eve bash. At first it was really odd watching Joe in that setting, playing funky tunes. As time passed it began to grow on me.

I can't help but to think "these guys are a pretty good house band". No doubt it's the laid back atmosphere and the tiny stage upon which they're playing. I love the "funky" light show on the back wall.

One thing there is no denying is that the band truly did sound fantastic and Joe was...well, Joe!

"There's not much left for me to tell, I just got back up each time I fell"

Re: Rock Candy Funk Party

Joe is really tearing up that place. It is awkward not to hear loud cheering after one of Joe's solos.

I'm curious as to why Joe would play at such a small place. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome that he did. Possibly that venue holds some significance?  Either way, seems like it would have been a great gig to witness live and in person.

3 (edited by DougH 2016-03-04 23:10:56)

I think you're watching the little bar in LA called the Baked Potato.
I never got there when I was in LA.. but if I return I will go .

RCFP is Tal the drummers band and Joe "sits in" since Tal sat in Joe's band for years..

That is one rock'n little place; and get this,, they plaid 2 sets I think that night.

Joe plays everyday even on his 'days off' anyways,, so he might as well play in front of people when he's 'relaxing'

I'm not totally into RCFP , but others are,,

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

4 (edited by JHLesPaul59 2016-03-05 00:12:14)

The music isn't necessarily my thing either but it was nice watching Joe up there in jeans and a baseball cap. Everyone seemed to be having a good time.

It was just so odd to see Joe playing in a place that small. I can imagine walking in to hear some cool local music then be blown away to see Joe up there. Of course I'd be the one yelling out "John Henry", "Slow Gin", "So It's Like That", etc. etc. Well, I guess I'd be doing that if I wasn't stricken with social phobia.

I am a big time fan as I was into the 70's Jazz Rock fusion music.
Like funk too.
Not speak for anyone,but I think Tals band played there more of an informal jam thing. I think it kinda of took off when Joe decided to sit in to have some fun and do something different.
I think due to the style of the music and how the band originated they stick with the small club thing.
I thinks it's so cool.Looks like are all having a blast.
Would love the chance to get there myself some day.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Being able to watch Joe in a small club where you have the opportunity to get close and really watch his playing would be a treat, indeed. Interesting how the informal nature of the show is part of what made it memorable. I live on 3 acres. I'm going to erect a small stage and have Joe come play a gig with Rock Candy. Sure, if it were only that easy. If only I knew a genie who could grant me three wishes. Would having Joe leave me one of his '59s after the gig be a second wish or ride the coat tails of the initial wish to have Joe play a gig at my place?  Hmm, when I come across a genie I'll be sure to ask before I begin making wishes.

Your first wish should be to ask for a thousand more wishes wink

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How I’d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

Rusty wrote:

Your first wish should be to ask for a thousand more wishes wink

I like it. Very smart man. But what if that made the genie aggravated so he decided to take every wish so literal that they always came out wrong?  It's the ol' "I wish I had a million bucks", or "I wish to be young forever" then he turns you into a five year old. What if I wished "to be a better guitarist than Joe Bonamassa" then, since I'm not a very good guitarist Joe becomes worse than me yet I still suck. Too much room for misinterpretation.

I don't know. Genies can be moody (spoken as if I actually know any genies). I'd have to stick with three. After all is said and done I wonder what I would wish for...hmm?

Rock Candy Funk Party is a funky, jazzy, rockin band that was formed by Tal Bergman and Ron DeJesus. They asked Joe to sit in with them about 4 years ago and Joe and the guys enjoyed it so much they decided to make a few albums together. Their first album was called "We Want Groove" and their second one which was just released last summer is called "Groove Is King" They only play at the small jazz club in Studio City called "The Baked Potato" except for one other occasion when they went to New York and played at the "Iridium Jazz Club" The shows at the Iridium were filmed for both PBS and for a live DVD that is available in Joe's store. They are involved in this purely for the fun of making music together and having a good time. Joe has often said how much he loves playing with these guys and this is the kind of stuff he plays at home when he is by himself. The Baked Potato is a legendary jazz club and only holds about 70 people. They play there because it is close to their homes. The New Years video you watched is one that I filmed. The Rock Candy shows are my most favorite shows to go to because not only are all the band members world class musicians, the music is top notch and there is a level of intimacy in a place like that you can't find anywhere else. It is a magical experience.

cool

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

11 (edited by RickB 2016-03-06 12:35:29)

nmagcorn wrote:

Rock Candy Funk Party is a funky, jazzy, rockin band that was formed by Tal Bergman and Ron DeJesus. They asked Joe to sit in with them about 4 years ago and Joe and the guys enjoyed it so much they decided to make a few albums together. Their first album was called "We Want Groove" and their second one which was just released last summer is called "Groove Is King" They only play at the small jazz club in Studio City called "The Baked Potato" except for one other occasion when they went to New York and played at the "Iridium Jazz Club" The shows at the Iridium were filmed for both PBS and for a live DVD that is available in Joe's store. They are involved in this purely for the fun of making music together and having a good time. Joe has often said how much he loves playing with these guys and this is the kind of stuff he plays at home when he is by himself. The Baked Potato is a legendary jazz club and only holds about 70 people. They play there because it is close to their homes. The New Years video you watched is one that I filmed. The Rock Candy shows are my most favorite shows to go to because not only are all the band members world class musicians, the music is top notch and there is a level of intimacy in a place like that you can't find anywhere else. It is a magical experience.

Yes indeed! We that are lucky enough to be able to attend these gigs have witnessed music at the boundaries of what formidable talent can do when it is just for fun. No audience to please, no overhead to pay, just unbridled love of the joy of making music and pals having a jam like your average garage band. The smiles exchanged after each takes a whack tell you all you need to know.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

RickB wrote:
nmagcorn wrote:

Yes indeed! We that are lucky enough to be able to attend these gigs have witnessed music at the boundaries of what formidable talent can do when it is just for fun. No audience to please, no overhead to pay, just unbridled love of the joy of making music and pals having a jam like your average garage band. The smiles exchanged after each takes a whack tell you all you need to know.

I have to agree Rick...my abbreviated 2 nights in L.A. will never be topped...it's possible to match but never topped...what an honor to be able to attend those shows...

The new RCFP is literally my favorite piece of music ever that is not Rock Or Blues......love love love it. Great musicianship, great tunes. It's times like this I wished I  lived in a major city, where I would have a ghost of a chance to actually see them! Very jealous to those who have seen this live. What a treat.

Murfdog

I'm right there with you, Murfdog.  Living in south central Texas I have pretty much zero chance of ever being anywhere near one of these special shows.  At least there is a video so we can see and hear the fantastic music the band played.

It was kind of funny this thread was started because I was at the time working on putting together a whole Rock Candy show from the most recent ones this past December. This particular show really showcases the band's versatility. They played such an eclectic mix of songs. From the techno dance sound, to funk, to rock, blues and onto jazz. It's all there and tight as hell. These guys really are phenomenal when they play together. I used my editor program to layer Phil's audio on top of mine for a real full, rich sound. Hope you all enjoy https://youtu.be/BWYCV6erz_o

Watching Joe during that first song reminded me of the movie Crossroads when Ralph Macchio says the line "the boy can play". Absolutely amazing.

Jane H. wrote:
nmagcorn wrote:

It was kind of funny this thread was started because I was at the time working on putting together a whole Rock Candy show from the most recent ones this past December. This particular show really showcases the band's versatility. They played such an eclectic mix of songs. From the techno dance sound, to funk, to rock, blues and onto jazz. It's all there and tight as hell. These guys really are phenomenal when they play together. I used my editor program to layer Phil's audio on top of mine for a real full, rich sound. Hope you all enjoy https://youtu.be/BWYCV6erz_o

Funny? yeah now you're funny too....
not funny haha
not funny strange
but funky fun funny!!!!!!
Thanks so much for this and all the other recordings!
I admit i do tend to get a bit jealous of how you have made it to be at so many shows but at the same time i am glad i am not bonobsessed the same as you!!!! and the extreme gratitude for things like this (made my day) is the overwhelming theme
you rock!!!

lol

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

Looks like we're getting a new Rock Candy Funk Party album.
"The Groove Cubed" is listed on streaming platforms and available to order on amazon. One track already available"Don't even try it". I swear that's Ty Taylor from Vintage Trouble on the vocals. Very nice.