Re: What song are you listening to right now?

BansheeUK wrote:

I missed it when it was first released back in 2015, and the price sky-rocketed on-line after it sold-out in stores; so i was over-the-moon today to find a still-sealed Jethro Tull - Minstrel In The Gallery (40th Anniversary - le Grande Edition) 2Cd/2DVD set for change out of £25 (a lot of on-line sellers add £100 to that, unless you look hard enough...).

I got curious after reading this and investigated, only thought he was talking about the Benefit reissue.  All the popular Tull albums have been remastered by an electronic genius named Steven Wilson.
Ian Anderson specifically requested he remaster Aqualung (which begged for it).  The results of his efforts are incredible.

BansheeUK wrote:

I missed it when it was first released back in 2015, and the price sky-rocketed on-line after it sold-out in stores; so i was over-the-moon today to find a still-sealed Jethro Tull - Minstrel In The Gallery (40th Anniversary - le Grande Edition) 2Cd/2DVD set for change out of £25 (a lot of on-line sellers add £100 to that, unless you look hard enough...).

I missed that too, and Aqualung and - what I really wanted but never bought at the time - Songs from the Wood.

Had an email from Burning Shed yesterday which offered: A bundle of Aqualung - 40th Anniversary Box, Songs From The Wood 40th Anniversary Edition (The Country Set) and Minstrel In The Gallery - 40th Anniversary La Grande Edition by Jethro Tull, all for £77

https://burningshed.com/store/jethrotul … set-bundle

NickSlikk2112 wrote:

I missed that too, and Aqualung and - what I really wanted but never bought at the time - Songs from the Wood.

Had an email from Burning Shed yesterday which offered: A bundle of Aqualung - 40th Anniversary Box, Songs From The Wood 40th Anniversary Edition (The Country Set) and Minstrel In The Gallery - 40th Anniversary La Grande Edition by Jethro Tull, all for £77

https://burningshed.com/store/jethrotul … set-bundle

That is a great offer..... The sets must be on a limited release; after a few months their prices rocket.

Songs From The Wood was the 1st one I got, and haven't missed since; last one was Broadsword & The Beast (Bursting Out, the live album hasn't been remastered). I did manage to find a reasonably priced Too Old To Rock and Roll a couple of years back.

This Was and Benefit have had 50th Anniversary releases, as has Thick As a Brick, but be careful here as it's the same as the 40th Anniversary, just with new stickers on the casing.

Hardest to find (for me, anyway) are Passion Play and War Child - time to poke round Burning Shed, maybe...

Update: - Can only find single disc edition of Passion Play Steven Wilson remaster. Found a War Child 40th set on Amazon(UK) - £300.
Can't see if Stand Up has had the treatment...

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

BansheeUK wrote:

It did get the treatment - I only got the Steven Wilson remastered vinyl - but the CD/DVD edition appears to be like hen's teeth.

NickSlikk2112 wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

It did get the treatment - I only got the Steven Wilson remastered vinyl - but the CD/DVD edition appears to be like hen's teeth.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the "treatment?" Hens teeth sounds derogatory.

When the transition from a blues band and Mick Abraham to the new Tull sound with Martin Barre.  Remastered by Mr. Wilson and one of my favorite JT albums

https://youtu.be/02j9cAH1NpQ

Curby wrote:
NickSlikk2112 wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the "treatment?" Hens teeth sounds derogatory.

"the treatment" - given a work-over (by Mr Wilson) and brough up to date...

"hen's teeth" - have you ever found any? It's a tongue-in-cheek way of saying very rare (and much more polite that saying "rocking-horse crap").

NickSlikk2112 wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

Found one on ebay at £260 (ono).  Also found a Passion Play at £300. Think I may just opt for the single remastered CD.

6,957 (edited by Curby 2023-12-14 21:42:29)

Been listening to a lot of Jethro Tull with all the mentions recently.
I've picked up a few Steven Wilson "treatments" and a few songs really jumped out to me.  This song is off Stand Up and it sounds like I'm standing in a studio with the band all around me.
This video is an earlier recording but still powerful...

https://youtu.be/iybAyDFrhhI

Found the Steve Wilson remix to listen to for comparison.

https://youtu.be/VxxiJ-3-BY8

Suzi Quatro  Gateshead - Glasshouse (Sage):  14th December 2023

Right then, last gig of the year (and for a while), and what a one to close out on Suzi (flippin') Quatro. Have to say right off, she  exceeded expectations on so many levels. I was expecting a full-on Glam-Rock nostalgia trip, from the original Queen of Glam, but this was a full on Rock gig in it's own right. Yes, the Hits were there, but skilfully mixed in among 50 years of worthy material, including a couple of track from this year's album that Suzi recorded with KT Tunstall.

And what about the band? the core was the standard 4-piece, Suzi really does chug on that Bass, it's not there as ornament. And then, at the close of the first set, she sends the band off and accompanies herself on the keyboard/piano on Can I Be Your Girl. Not only, but during the bass & drums solo piece, she puts the bass down and does a drum duel with the drummer on the kit. Well, she does have an [honorary] doctorate in music from Cambridge Uni.. Great guitar and keys, though just an observation rather than criticism, the guitar was a bit low in the mix, for my taste. two girl backing singers, adding to the vocals, though Suzi's voice still has the power and gravel: didn't expect the 3-piece horn section though, but rather than a Stax-Soul sound, these guys rocked.

Suzi though, she's just pure Detroit legend. Remember, this lass came along the same time as Alice Cooper, and could still hold her own with. She was also one of the first girl band leaders to make mainstream breakthrough, and despite career ups and downs, she's still out and rocking, though maybe not quite as alluring in the leather catsuit as she was in the banner above the stage; but she's the same Rocker at heart.

The set, well, split over 2 sessions, but totalling 2hrs & a bit.
Set List: -
Set 1:
The Wild One
I May Be Too Young
Daytona Demon
Tear Me Apart
Shine a Light (Suzi Quatro & KT Tunstall cover)
Stumblin' In
48 Crash
No Soul/No Control
The Devil In Me
Slow Down (Larry Williams cover)
Rockin' in the Free World (Neil Young cover)
Can I Be Your Girl?
Set 2:
Motor City Riders
I Sold My Soul Today
Bad Moon Rising (Creedence Clearwater Revival cover)
She's in Love With You
Overload (Suzi Quatro & KT Tunstall cover)
Too Big
Glycerine Queen / Bass Solo
Can the Can
Devil Gate Drive
Encore:
If You Can't Give Me Love
Sweet Little Rock & Roller (Chuck Berry cover)
Encore 2:
Desperado (Eagles cover)

Cracking new single from Firekind: worked on by Josiah Manning, the "go-to guy" for the more rockier guys over here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C15xvAgzcmg

A "nearly new" EP from Elles Bailey; The Night Owl & The Lark. Nearly new because though it's just been released, it was actually recorded back in 2020.

A little different from Elles' usual fare, different backing band, semi acoustic but really showcases her voice; and there's a Rival Sons cover too.
https://ellesbailey.shop/collections/ni … hkve2JzaFQ

Bernie Marsden - Working Man  (2023)

Finally came through the holiday post; and well worth the wait. sadly, this 2 disc set has proved to be Bernie's swan-song. The first album is Bernie's first of all new songs in a while, and features a co-write with Joe Bonamassa. May not have the power and bite of the halcyon Whitesnake days, but still showcases Bernie as a master song-smith and a great and oft overlooked guitarist.

The 2nd disc is a collection of older songs, yes; including some from the Whitesnake canon; done more semi-acoustically. Again, just screams "craftsmanship". Interesting with the Whitesnake ones, while it shows Bernie as a writer & player, they do show shortcomings as a singer: well. compared beside Coverdale, what do you expect? Flipping the coin though, years back, when Coverdale did the "Starkers In Tokyo" acoustic album, good as he is, Adje Vandenberg wasn't a match on Marsden. Hust highlights what a great combination Marsden & Coverdale were.

Here I Go Again - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Pst1uwoJg

6,962 (edited by Curby 2024-01-16 17:29:45)

After nearly a year of trying to locate my Buddaheads' Mumbo Jumbo cd I finally gave up and tried to reorder a new one.  Man, it wasn't easy as the album is out of print, but I found one out of Japan through Amazon.

The Buddaheads were legendary on the west coast with genius guitarist Alan Mirikitani.  The whole album is an exceptional blues effort.  The song I had to have back is their cover of Van Morrison's "Tupelo Honey".  A lot of great artists have attempted this gem, but none better than The Buddaheads.  Way better than Mr. Morrison imho.

6,963 (edited by dknight16 2024-01-18 18:30:08)

Stefan Hauk was a very active member here years ago.  He’s been making his own music for a while now down in Australia.  He did a west coast Australia tour this Fall, and then a big homecoming show in his hometown of Adelaide.  The show was professionally shot to video.  The production values are really good.  The set list is a nice mix of covers and originals.  Both are performed strongly.  Covers include ZZ Top, Robin Trower, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Elmore James, and Jimi Hendrix.  I encourage folks here to check it out.  The musicianship is phenomenal.

https://youtu.be/bI2yL6CkJdo?si=1j8HkdgWGWqSZP-K

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

Yesterday it took me the better part of the day recalling this group's name.  Captain Beyond was just another talented band of their era.
I found a HD recording of this great group.

https://youtu.be/Q7ExCwpi59c?si=5QP97TCZ7RrWWZIX

Kenny Wayne Shepherd - Dirt On My Diamonds Volume 1  (2023)

So, finally getting hold of a copy [by sending off to the US..] of KWS's first album of originals since 2019's The Traveller. Well, all 30 minutes of it, if you exclude 5 minutes for the cover of Elephant John's Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting.

So, a bit light on the material is really the only "fault" here; KWS is still on his mission dragging the Blues into a more modern and relevant frame, without rewriting the whole genre. depending on how you like your KWS, there's something here for all to like, especially the solo mid way through Ease My Mind.

Let's wait and see what [and when] the hinted Volume 2 brings...

The Cinelli Brothers - Almost Exactly (2024)

First new album of 2024, and it's a corker.... No doubts, the Cinelli Bros promise big and deliver large with their refresh of Blues.

Leave It With You - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDANDXxRkNo
Lucky Star - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTTmL-towD8
Dozen Roses - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mZQIX_4vJE