1 (edited by BansheeUK 2015-11-27 05:05:02)

Topic: Mark Pontin Group

Seeing the Mark Pontin Group for just one hour, such as at Doncaster earlier this year, grabs you, holds you and leaves you wanting more, so a full show such as last nights was an eagerly awaited event. With the new album Textures now out, most of the tracks are now showcased along with the still vital Days of Destiny numbers, including a rare outing for Outcast.

Mark’s not the most demonstrative of guitarists, he doesn’t windmill or run round the stage like his hair was on fire, but the way he makes his Fenders growl and howl, he ignites his audience. And that’s not to infer that he’s a one-trick-pony, he can switch easily from earth-shaking chords to riffs of almost pastoral delicacy, like a one-man Wishbone Ash. This is matched up with one of my favourite young drummers, Dafydd Davies who drives his kit like a team of stampeding horses when the music is cranked up. Striding between these is bassist Alan Walters who work on 4 strings buts some 6 stringers to shame. However, the biggest change since the Doncaster show is the inclusion of Mark’s good lady, Ayesha on keyboards and backing vocals which add a further dimension to the set.

The set builds from a roaring, growling numbers, through a storming Junior Wells (?) cover, all the time building in pace to an almighty cover of Hendrix’ Fire after which we’re allowed to take a breather with the “gentle” Rising before The Dawn. Then, we take off again, with an almost funky instrumental, In The Middle which encourages the band to dive headlong into a jam, giving Alan and Daffydd chance to really shine before a powerful 2-parter song closes the set. Then, they turn round and deliver an encore that blisters what’s left of the paint off the walls.

This is a band that have the tools and the savvy to play any style that takes their fancy, and own it. It’s a real shame that the turn-out at Newcastle didn’t do them the justice they richly deserve, but they turned it into a “private gig” for those of us who did turn out, and made it something special as a reward. If you like your Blues/Rock with a bit more thought, with a bit more texture, this is the band to catch.

Taken from previous night at Edinburgh - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9iIzSmUvgg

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Re: Mark Pontin Group

Tyne Bar; Newcastle - 2/4/23

Right then, thought it was high time I checked out the legendry Tyne Bar, and what better excuse than to catch up with guitar maestro Mark Pontin and the band, for the first time in several years (pandemic notwithstanding). Granted, since the last visit (in 2015!!) there's new faces on the backline, but it's a backline that's tighter than the Ouseburn lock, and that's water-tight. And when he winds it up, Mark's guitar sound is like tectonic plates shifting, with a hint of Robin Trower.

Coming on the heels of a full week-end, including 2 shows in one day at York, this was a bit of a treat, though not what you'd expect from one of Mark's show; at the request of the venue, it was a more covers heavy gig, though originals from Mark's 3 albums were woven in. If anything, the 2 sets highlighted the band's versatility, and in my book, that means when doing Hendrix covers, not falling back on the trinity of "Purple", "House" & "Chile" - instead it was Crosstown Traffic and [Band of Gypsies] Stop. There was a cool nod to CSN&Y, Santana via The Zombies [She's Not There], The Who [My Generation & Pinball Wizard], Jackson Browne, some nice and sleazy T-Rex [20th Century Boy]and a left-field Sam The Sham [Woolly Bully]that had the tea-time audience's feet moving.

It has been too long since Mark was up in these parts, which is a loss for a guy of his skill and talent; word is, album #4 is brewing for the back end of the year, so here's to some more gigs up here, and in rooms where the lads don't have to fight over orders of brie & mushroom quiches.

BansheeUK wrote:

Right then, thought it was high time I checked out the legendry Tyne Bar, and what better excuse than to catch up with guitar maestro Mark Pontin and the band, for the first time in several years (pandemic notwithstanding). Granted, since the last visit (in 2015!!) there's new faces on the backline, but it's a backline that's tighter than the Ouseburn lock, and that's water-tight. And when he winds it up, Mark's guitar sound is like tectonic plates shifting, with a hint of Robin Trower.

Coming on the heels of a full week-end, including 2 shows in one day at York, this was a bit of a treat, though not what you'd expect from one of Mark's show; at the request of the venue, it was a more covers heavy gig, though originals from Mark's 3 albums were woven in. If anything, the 2 sets highlighted the band's versatility, and in my book, that means when doing Hendrix covers, not falling back on the trinity of "Purple", "House" & "Chile" - instead it was Crosstown Traffic and [Band of Gypsies] Stop. There was a cool nod to CSN&Y, Santana via The Zombies [She's Not There], The Who [My Generation & Pinball Wizard], Jackson Browne, some nice and sleazy T-Rex [20th Century Boy]and a left-field Sam The Sham [Woolly Bully]that had the tea-time audience's feet moving.

It has been too long since Mark was up in these parts, which is a loss for a guy of his skill and talent; word is, album #4 is brewing for the back end of the year, so here's to some more gigs up here, and in rooms where the lads don't have to fight over orders of brie & mushroom quiches.

Man, I bet that was a great show.  I've got a couple of Mark's albums, all originals, and the guy is the real deal.  I also love covers deep in  the catalog of legendary artists.  Really envious Mike!

Curby wrote:
BansheeUK wrote:

Man, I bet that was a great show.  I've got a couple of Mark's albums, all originals, and the guy is the real deal.  I also love covers deep in  the catalog of legendary artists.  Really envious Mike!

Yeah, what a great way to spend a pleasant Spring Sunday. The bar has been running in this form for nearly 30 years and has a good reputation for these early shows on a Sunday, though they tend to be more for local acts, so it was a bit of a treat to have a "foreigner" for a change. Mark had been tipped off about this, and the guys were well prepared in adapting their material. He's certainly had a busy week-end; the day before he did an early set at a Blues festival down the road in York as well as a full show that evening; and these were the first shows for the new bass player, so what a christening he's had.

I would have loved to have recorded some of this, simply because Mark is a rare one to catch outside Wales, but the best place I could get was beside one of the doors; but maybe someone better positioned may have put something on YouTube.

Here's White Room, from one of the York shows - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkW9mwdrPAw