Topic: Glenn Hughes

When the it became clear the BCC train wasn't going to run with Joe anymore I hoped, and even stated in a post that I thought the perfect choice for the guitar role, if they could continue, would be Doug Aldrich.

On his latest tour and last night in Knust Hamburg I got my wish, up close and personal.

The portents always looked good for this tour. As a 3 piece you have to have 3 musicians that can kick serious a$$. Glenn's talent on Bass is often undersung so seeing is believing. He has the chops and of course, 'that voice' is simply amazing. It is Glenn's show, so I went in accepting that he would parade his full range of vocal gymnastics. Live with it, get past it and just enjoy that he can DO this stuff. Sure, I could do without his Mariah Carey multiple octave histrionics at the end of a stunning version of 'Mistreated', but that aside, for a geezer in his '60's, that has been there and done it all to excess, his performance was/is a masterclass in rock music presentation.

Yes, the preening and posing are all there, but he has earned the right and walked the walk to do it his way - nuff said.

Doug is, without doubt, one of the finest guitarists of this genre of music there will ever be. He makes it look so effortless, but then that is the hallmark of the master musician. The hours of endless practice combined with a god given talent have honed to his performance to perfection. I couldn't say over the almost 2 hours if he played a bum note, but then he played about a million. Yes, he can shred to oblivion, but if you play with Glenn then the song comes first so Doug's playing served to enhance the material. Delightfull fills whilst cranking the riffs and never overstaying his welcome in the context of the song.

Pontus Engburg is a drummer from the Lee Kerslake mould. No frills, power and purpose. His job it to lay down solid basis for the other two to do there thing. This he does with a Nordic zeal and relish. Being his neighbour as he was growing up must have been a nightmare.......

Songwise, Glenn is packing a career spanning set. Purple Mk 3 stuff, Trapeze (as a tribute to the late Mel Galley), his solo career (Soul Mover amongst others). The BCC stuff sounds great, even though the sound desk upped the bass a bit too much for the last 3 songs. 'one Last Soul' and 'Black Country' were obvious highlights. He closed, as expected with 'Burn' which was fair enough given that he had set the place alight already (figuratively speaking).

All in all, master craftsmen at work. Catch in the UK and Stateside next year if you can. This is the way it used to be...........and for Glenn, still is.

PS
Support act Jared James Nicholls is well worthy of mention. No frills full on rock boogie. The approach, playing, hair and teeth(!) struck me as a young Ted Nugent hitting the boards, but without the lunacy and loincloth! Respect mate!

No Hits, No Hype.......................Classic Rock Jan 2012

Re: Glenn Hughes

hansamike wrote:

When the it became clear the BCC train wasn't going to run with Joe anymore I hoped, and even stated in a post that I thought the perfect choice for the guitar role, if they could continue, would be Doug Aldrich.

On his latest tour and last night in Knust Hamburg I got my wish, up close and personal.

The portents always looked good for this tour. As a 3 piece you have to have 3 musicians that can kick serious a$$. Glenn's talent on Bass is often undersung so seeing is believing. He has the chops and of course, 'that voice' is simply amazing. It is Glenn's show, so I went in accepting that he would parade his full range of vocal gymnastics. Live with it, get past it and just enjoy that he can DO this stuff. Sure, I could do without his Mariah Carey multiple octave histrionics at the end of a stunning version of 'Mistreated', but that aside, for a geezer in his '60's, that has been there and done it all to excess, his performance was/is a masterclass in rock music presentation.

Yes, the preening and posing are all there, but he has earned the right and walked the walk to do it his way - nuff said.

Doug is, without doubt, one of the finest guitarists of this genre of music there will ever be. He makes it look so effortless, but then that is the hallmark of the master musician. The hours of endless practice combined with a god given talent have honed to his performance to perfection. I couldn't say over the almost 2 hours if he played a bum note, but then he played about a million. Yes, he can shred to oblivion, but if you play with Glenn then the song comes first so Doug's playing served to enhance the material. Delightfull fills whilst cranking the riffs and never overstaying his welcome in the context of the song.

Pontus Engburg is a drummer from the Lee Kerslake mould. No frills, power and purpose. His job it to lay down solid basis for the other two to do there thing. This he does with a Nordic zeal and relish. Being his neighbour as he was growing up must have been a nightmare.......

Songwise, Glenn is packing a career spanning set. Purple Mk 3 stuff, Trapeze (as a tribute to the late Mel Galley), his solo career (Soul Mover amongst others). The BCC stuff sounds great, even though the sound desk upped the bass a bit too much for the last 3 songs. 'one Last Soul' and 'Black Country' were obvious highlights. He closed, as expected with 'Burn' which was fair enough given that he had set the place alight already (figuratively speaking).

All in all, master craftsmen at work. Catch in the UK and Stateside next year if you can. This is the way it used to be...........and for Glenn, still is.

PS
Support act Jared James Nicholls is well worthy of mention. No frills full on rock boogie. The approach, playing, hair and teeth(!) struck me as a young Ted Nugent hitting the boards, but without the lunacy and loincloth! Respect mate!

Joanne Shaw Taylor has just announced she will play support along with Jared James Nicholls for Glenn Hughes during the month of March next year here in the States....going to get my tix for San Jose show today....

Great review!  I too love the trio Glenn has assembled. Doug is an awesome guitarist and is a great choice given that my first choice (John Sykes) hasn't happened.  I like John for the gig as he can sing and duet like Joe did in BCC.

Gibson 60th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul Reissue, Gibson LP Standard Faded CSB, Gibson Gary Moore LP Standard, Epi Joe Bonamassa GT LP, Epi Zakk Wylde LP, Dean Michael Schenker Flying V, Jackson Randy Rhoads V, ESP/LTD George Lynch Kamikaze, EVH Striped Series R/B/W, Fender/Squire John 5 Telecaster, Fender Joe Strummer Relic Telecaster

I loved the Doug Aldrich/Reb beach era of Whitesnake. Some great stuff in the modern incarnation.

Guitars: Gibson 2015 LP Traditional in Honeyburst, Gibson LP Studio Deluxe, Fender American Deluxe Telecaster, MIM Fender Strat with Dimarzio Areas, MIM Fender Hss Strat,  Epiphone Sheraton II, Breedlove Acoustic
Amplitube 4 with Scarlett 6i6 and 2i4 interfaces through studio monitors.

Earlier this week, Glenn Hughes was forced to postpone his Deep Purple Live UK tour.
The eights shows were due to get under way this week, but were called off due to an illness affecting the vocalist and bassist.
But he’s wasted no time in announcing the rescheduled dates, which will now take place in November – although the tour has been cut to just four dates.
The shows in Edinburgh, St Albans, Liverpool and Nottingham have been cancelled, while the performances in Salisbury, Holmfirth and Birmingham will go ahead. The Norwich show, which was originally scheduled to take place at the UEA, has now been moved to the city’s Waterfront.
The new dates are:
Nov 17: Salisbury City Hall
Nov 20: Norwich Waterfront
Nov 23: Holmfirth Picturedrome
Nov 29: Birmingham O2 Institute
Fans looking for refunds will have until May 27 to contact the point of sale.
The postponement was accompanied by a statement which read: “Glenn sends his regrets that he is unable to perform his UK tour which was due to start May 14 through May 24.
“He needs to be treated for an illness that, while not life threatening, must be dealt with immediately in order for it to not become a serious problem.
“He is expected to make a full recovery and be back on the road in June.”
Hughes’ next scheduled show will take place in Ballyshannon on June 1, which will be followed by further shows across Europe this summer.

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

6 (edited by BansheeUK 2019-06-11 09:41:45)

November UK tour, along with re-scheduled dates but doesn't look like Laurence Jones supporting looks like this:-

Nov 16  Bexhill-on-Sea   De La Warr Pavilion
Nov 17  Salisbury  City Hall
Nov 19  Cambridge Junction
Nov 20  Norwich   Waterfront
Nov 22  Cheltenham Town Hall
Nov 23  Holmfirth  Picturedrome
Nov 25  Aberdeen Music Hall
Nov 26  Inverness   The Ironworks
Nov 28  Middlesbrough Town Hall
Nov 29  Birmingham O2 Institute

When life gives you lemons; don't make lemonade.
Give back the lemons.  Why were the lemons free?  What's wrong with the lemons?
Do Not trust the lemons...

Saw Glen last night in Bexhill. Awesome. Still strutting around the stage as he did nearly 50 years ago when I first saw him in Trapeze and he was about 18, just 6 months older than me. I'm amazed how he can deliver almost 2 hours of high energy rock and hardly break a sweat. That voice is incredible. I was never a big "Purple" fan but thoroughly enjoyed the show and judging by the packed audience singing along, there is a big following although I got the impression Glen is wanting to finish with that era and move/continue on to other projects. Hopefully BCC will tour again. I look forward to seeing him again whatever genre comes next. He is well worth seeing. A true Master in performance delivery.

He has joined The Dead Daisies and is currently recording their next album. They will tour in 2020.