Re: New release: Radio City DVD

jim m wrote:

I didn't have time to watch it all but I did watch the bonus footage. Liked seeing  Clay, Eric, Mike and Colin having a good time with it. The backstage home movie like experience with the special gifts from Papa and Mama Massa. The interview with Joe really makes you realize he is living the dream and not taking any of it for granted. He is just enjoying the whole experience even though he is under a lot of stress with the upcoming DVD shoot.

I landed Thursday night before the filming and cut loose a little bit in NYC excited for the experience of seeing the Hall. I had a slice of Pizza you know NY style on the way back to the Hotel. The next day I was so sick I couldn't even sit up in bed. Missed the Friday show and was barely able to make the Saturday show. I still felt like warmed over death. So I'm glad to have the show to watch with out my head hurting. The sound is amazing. I have to say where Kevin really shines is his live mixes. From LFNIP to this most recent live DVD absolutely stellar. I wish I could of enjoyed the actual show experience a little more but this made me forget my weekend in hell last January.

I haven't told anybody this but I topped it off by showing up at the airport Sunday morning only to find out I had missed my flight by two days. I somehow booked my return flight for Friday not Sunday. After a 3 hour wait I got on a flight heading west. Oklahoma City by way of Houston. Which was better than a connecting flight out of Oakland which is where the ticket agent thought I was trying to get to. Oklahoma accents don't work well in NYC. I have tickets to Carnegie Hall but feeling like it might be wise to wait for the DVD. I love NY but not in January and Pizza and I have been at odds with each other ever since I went NY style.

Aww Jim, I remember that. Felt so bad for you. And Thursday night when we were hanging out together you seemed perfectly fine. Kept wondering where you were the next day only to find out how sick you had become. Then I thought, geeze I hope he wasn't contagious wink Nothing worse than traveling all that way and not only missing some of the shows and good times, but to feel that horribly sick is just the worse thing. I don't blame you for maybe thinking twice about Carnegie Hall, but I do hope you come. Would be great to see you again. Just make sure you don't order any pizza.

Hoooops.
I know why I don't like Pizza.

Mine is on the way. Arriving maybe tomorrow.
Looking forward to it

39 (edited by seventh.sway 2015-10-02 02:19:03)

I was so looking forward to waking up with a dispatch confirmation email from Amazon.co.uk this morning however I was very disappointed to receive the following message:

"Hello,

We regret to inform you that the following items have been delayed:

Joe Bonamassa "Radio City Music Hall [CD+DVD]"
   Estimated arrival date: October 16 2015 - October 19 2015"

Has any of my fellow British fans had the same issue? Have you been able to buy it elsewhere without importing it? I am inclined to buy direct from the JB store, it's a great excuse to binge buy some merchandise too but given my current lack of mobility from back surgery two weeks ago, I won't be able to get to the courier depot to pay the import taxes.

Hopefully I will be well enough to go to the Liverpool show in three weeks time - would love to be able to enjoy watching the RCMH show before then as I am on bed rest for now. However, I would hope that it may well be available to buy at the Liverpool gig as I managed to buy the Muddy Wolf show at the Hammersmith a few days before the release date. Contemplating cancelling my Amazon order and wait until I get to Liverpool...

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

You may want to try the record company: http://www.mascotlabelgroup.com/joebona … luray.html

You get your parcel from The Netherlands, so there are no import charges.

I

Tibor wrote:

Hi Sarah,

You may want to try the record company: http://www.mascotlabelgroup.com/joebona … luray.html

I

Thank you for the suggestion, Tibor. Just ordered it via your Mascot Label link and cancelled my Amazon order.

Kind Regards,
Sarah

seventh.sway wrote:
Tibor wrote:

Hi Sarah,

I

Thank you for the suggestion, Tibor. Just ordered it via your Mascot Label link and cancelled my Amazon order.

Kind Regards,
Sarah

Glad, I could help. And you will also get a poster, too. All the best, Tibor

I received my Blu-Ray and CD earlier this week.  I've been waiting for a time when my wife could sit down and enjoy.  Tonight's  the night. After watching,  I agree with all the above comments.  It's as good if not the best thing Joe has ever done and for that I am thankful to every one involved.  As I watched, I got chocked up thinking about how BB King must be sitting in heaven smiling down on the whole scene.  BB kept blues alive single handledly and encouraged a young 12 boy, from Utica, NY to follow his dreams.  It's one of the best things that has ever happened in my life...Thank you BB King and thank you Joe Bonamassa.

The only thing we deserve, is an opportunity.  Everything else has to be earned.

bobkatmsu wrote:

I received my Blu-Ray and CD earlier this week.  I've been waiting for a time when my wife could sit down and enjoy.  Tonight's  the night. After watching,  I agree with all the above comments.  It's as good if not the best thing Joe has ever done and for that I am thankful to every one involved.  As I watched, I got chocked up thinking about how BB King must be sitting in heaven smiling down on the whole scene.  BB kept blues alive single handledly and encouraged a young 12 boy, from Utica, NY to follow his dreams.  It's one of the best things that has ever happened in my life...Thank you BB King and thank you Joe Bonamassa.

+1

Joe just keeps turning it up a notch....this performance was epic.

Thanks, Joe

My Favorite Bonamassa Songs
Happier Times... Sloe Gin...Last Kiss...Lonesome Road Blues...Blues Deluxe...No Slack
Equipment For Listening To Joe
Sennheiser HD800 Headphones & Mad Ear+HD Headphone Amp

45 (edited by misthunter210 2015-10-03 06:21:34)

I guess I'm going to be "that guy". I'm going to give my impressions and I'm going try to put them into words the best way I can after a couple of listens.. I have yet to watch the bluray so this will be the cd portion only. Please read all the way through before burning me at the stake. I'm also typing this on a tiny iPhone so please forgive any typos or weird punctuation.

The Packaging: Loved the embossed cover and the beautiful cover art.

As far as the contents itself this is where it gets tricky to explain. Some context first. As I have said on the board before I prefer Joe when he hits his rock side. I'm one of those people that enjoy classic blues in small doses. I don't fly hard and fast by those rules so there is some leeway there and Joe normally strikes a pretty good balance. Maybe you guys can help me with this and make me see it a different way.

With that said, as a complete package I feel like I'm missing something. Joes voice and playing is as strong as ever. The band is nice and tight. So these are a couple things that I'm just throwing through my head.

The track list: I feel like it's light, I know it's probably not much shorter then other live releases but it just feels shorter.  The set list has a definite blues feel to me. Think more shepherds bush than hammersmith if we are comparing to tour de force shows. Adding one more rocker or Joe penned track would have swayed me alittle more. My standouts are One less cross, never give all your heart, love ain't a love song. I also enjoy dust bowl and liked Happier times and trouble town acoustic which leads to my next thought.

I felt like the acoustic show took up a good chunk of the disk even though it was 5 songs. I really  like the acoustic set but in small doses or the Vienna show since you knew what you were getting going in .I feel like on a longer track list this would not have bothered me as much.

I'm also wondering if if the horn section is losing its novelty. I really felt like it served a great purpose in the DSoB but after hearing it for a couple of albums now I'm starting to wonder if I'm tiring of it.

The only thing I'm really sure of is I miss the Marshall tone. I know Joe is ever changing his rig and I really hope he finds a way to incorporate both in the future. I like the fender sound but nothing beats the Joe quad setup and I miss the options of the various pedals With that said.I appreciate and respect the going straight into the amps tone and he pulls it off great. I know he said that the fender amps really inspired him and that's great. Totally personal preference on my part like the majority of what I'm saying.

I like this album but I want to love it like you guys. This is by no means a bad album, im just waiting for it to click with me. Hopefully a couple of more run throughs with the cd, video and vinyl,when I get it, will sway me more that way. I can't say it enough that this is not meant to be a poor review of the album and is no way meant to be a slam toward it. There's a lot of great stuff on this album. For some reason I just feel like something's missing.
As far as live albums I still find my self going back to Beacon theater.

The good thing with Joe is there is always something around the corner to set your eyes too. Can't wait for the next studio album. Godspeed, Mr Bonamassa is your reading.

Guitars: Gibson 2015 LP Traditional in Honeyburst, Gibson LP Studio Deluxe, Fender American Deluxe Telecaster, MIM Fender Strat with Dimarzio Areas, MIM Fender Hss Strat,  Epiphone Sheraton II, Breedlove Acoustic
Amplitube 4 with Scarlett 6i6 and 2i4 interfaces through studio monitors.

Coach305 wrote:

Huzzah! The package arrived today, and before long I'll be enjoying the DVD while wearing my new t-shirt and sipping single malt from my new mug! big_smile

A question: Those three free tracks Joe's letting us download via email are ones excluded from the DVD/CD release, correct? If so, that's just another proof of how much Joe listens to us...

I have tried...not sure what I am doing wrong....but I have yet to get the three free songs...I enter my email over and over...but have yet to download the songs

Happier Times... Sloe Gin...Last Kiss...Lonesome Road Blues...Blues Deluxe...No Slack

misthunter210 wrote:

I guess I'm going to be "that guy". I'm going to give my impressions and I'm going try to put them into words the best way I can after a couple of listens.. I have yet to watch the bluray so this will be the cd portion only. Please read all the way through before burning me at the stake. I'm also typing this on a tiny iPhone so please forgive any typos or weird punctuation.

The Packaging: Loved the embossed cover and the beautiful cover art.

As far as the contents itself this is where it gets tricky to explain. Some context first. As I have said on the board before I prefer Joe when he hits his rock side. I'm one of those people that enjoy classic blues in small doses. I don't fly hard and fast by those rules so there is some leeway there and Joe normally strikes a pretty good balance. Maybe you guys can help me with this and make me see it a different way.

With that said, as a complete package I feel like I'm missing something. Joes voice and playing is as strong as ever. The band is nice and tight. So these are a couple things that I'm just throwing through my head.

The track list: I feel like it's light, I know it's probably not much shorter then other live releases but it just feels shorter.  The set list has a definite blues feel to me. Think more shepherds bush than hammersmith if we are comparing to tour de force shows. Adding one more rocker or Joe penned track would have swayed me alittle more. My standouts are One less cross, never give all your heart, love ain't a love song. I also enjoy dust bowl and liked Happier times and trouble town acoustic which leads to my next thought.

I felt like the acoustic show took up a good chunk of the disk even though it was 5 songs. I really  like the acoustic set but in small doses or the Vienna show since you knew what you were getting going in .I feel like on a longer track list this would not have bothered me as much.

I'm also wondering if if the horn section is losing its novelty. I really felt like it served a great purpose in the DSoB but after hearing it for a couple of albums now I'm starting to wonder if I'm tiring of it.

The only thing I'm really sure of is I miss the Marshall tone. I know Joe is ever changing his rig and I really hope he finds a way to incorporate both in the future. I like the fender sound but nothing beats the Joe quad setup and I miss the options of the various pedals With that said.I appreciate and respect the going straight into the amps tone and he pulls it off great. I know he said that the fender amps really inspired him and that's great. Totally personal preference on my part like the majority of what I'm saying.

I like this album but I want to love it like you guys. This is by no means a bad album, im just waiting for it to click with me. Hopefully a couple of more run throughs with the cd, video and vinyl,when I get it, will sway me more that way. I can't say it enough that this is not meant to be a poor review of the album and is no way meant to be a slam toward it. There's a lot of great stuff on this album. For some reason I just feel like something's missing.
As far as live albums I still find my self going back to Beacon theater.

The good thing with Joe is there is always something around the corner to set your eyes too. Can't wait for the next studio album. Godspeed, Mr Bonamassa is your reading.

Gotta say Mist that I kinda agree with you. Although on it's own it's a great recording, but compared to Tour De Force or MuddyWolf (which is the best concert DVD EVER!) this one came up a little short for me. Of course, as always, this is just my personal taste and opinion. I love everything Joe and the boys do. This DVD included. Just not as much.

Why don't we eliminate all the warning labels and let things sort themselves out?

whirlwind wrote:
Coach305 wrote:

Huzzah! The package arrived today, and before long I'll be enjoying the DVD while wearing my new t-shirt and sipping single malt from my new mug! big_smile

A question: Those three free tracks Joe's letting us download via email are ones excluded from the DVD/CD release, correct? If so, that's just another proof of how much Joe listens to us...

I have tried...not sure what I am doing wrong....but I have yet to get the three free songs...I enter my email over and over...but have yet to download the songs

They email you a download link. Might want to check your Spam folder...

If all else fails, we can figure out a way to email you the songs directly, I'm sure...

Terrance Shuman
Kansas City, MO

It sends me an email, when I click on the link it takes me to Joe's site and ask for my e-mail address again, then it resends it to my e-mail....just a vicious circle...lol

whirlwind wrote:

It sends me an email, when I click on the link it takes me to Joe's site and ask for my e-mail address again, then it resends it to my e-mail....just a vicious circle...lol

Mine worked fine the first time. Try clearing the history and go again.

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Okay, so just let me state that I'm a huge Joe fan, but I'm finding this new release a bit off...It just seems that it is a little flat in places, and most of the song versions on this, I've heard done by him better in prior outings...This just doesn't seem to stack up to the Beacon Hall, the Tour de Force, or the Muddy Wolf releases...Having said that, it's still Joe and Joe is great...just a little redundant maybe. One Less Cross to Bear is incredible...Hidden Charms he really kicks it out, and Love ain't a Love Song is just my favorite tune he's done in a while, but overall this just lacks slightly for me.

Murfdog

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one. I don't think any is are really talking negatively about it but there's just something about the mojo. The mix is great, the band and Joe are bumping so the vibe is not in the performance or recording. After seeing the set list for some of the recent shows, I think a set list like those would have gotten me a little more giddy. I just still can't put my finger on it though.

One less cross is still blowing me away though.

Guitars: Gibson 2015 LP Traditional in Honeyburst, Gibson LP Studio Deluxe, Fender American Deluxe Telecaster, MIM Fender Strat with Dimarzio Areas, MIM Fender Hss Strat,  Epiphone Sheraton II, Breedlove Acoustic
Amplitube 4 with Scarlett 6i6 and 2i4 interfaces through studio monitors.

I had similar feelings upon hearing the album and watching the DVD.  I got the pre-order the first day anyone posted getting it here, and have listened to/watched both many times. 

What I've boiled this down to (for me personally) is the following:

1)  The last two live albums were Tour de Force and Muddy Wolf.  They were, in the opinion of most, his two best live recordings ever, by a very large margin.  Borderline gets more play than any other album for me.
2)  His last two studio albums have both raised the bar significantly in terms of what we expect from a JB studio album.

Joe's career is on a trajectory previously unexperienced & it feels as if it's still accelerating.  In many ways this album is Beacon 2.0.  It's a souped up version of his current tour used to document a performance at a significant venue.  At the time Beacon was one of Joe's most incredible performances.  3 years later Joe sells out a legendary venue twice the size, for two nights in a row, & puts on a show that exceeds the Beacon performance.  We're appreciative, but not as blown away as with the Beacon release. 

This isn't a bad thing.  This is how far Joe has raised the bar in the last 3 years.  I can't wait for the new studio album and the 3 Kings album.

Just my 2 cents

Mike

Jane H. wrote:

have not gotten the full release yet but did watch the palladia TV version a couple of times
i think its well done but i did at first think it was sort of redundant and to be honest i was recording it to dvr and this other artists was doing a live show on yahoo, i planned to watch Joe but it didn't grab me at first so i watched yahoo a while as it was grabbing me more until i noticed different Shades of blues then it was all Joe for the remainder. i agree somewhat with some of the above posts but particularly murfdog as Love Ain't a Love Song is def the biggest fav in recent years.
i loved this release, what i have seen of it because i did not see this tour. good to see Tal but then again on a song like LAALS i still can't wait to hear it with Anton live on that one. I love that love song soooooooo much big_smile
i really dig Lenny too, as well as all the others. it was great to see this.

i was so glad it made the TV cut and i thought the setlist was a good choice but haven't seen the whole thing yet
anyway certainly no complaints or real criticisms but not an overwhelming exciting gig although excellent.
I am not exactly sure if MPT played this before I do not think so as i searched the schedule last week yet i had 3 different people say they saw Joe last week and one indicated they saw the acoustic show. I am not sure at first watch or until the electric started they realized this was a different one even though to you or i we could notice the difference right away.
'i saw this last week' 'are you sure, i think tonight was the tv debut....' anyhow it was great to hear folks tuning in of course

regarding the acoustic and horns etc. whatever Joe wants to do works for me, it is all beautiful but i am intrigued about the set up of the latest tour hitting some of those three piece arrangements, curious why. it has always been my thought that the rock show has stood out the most to me but if its not what Joe wants ok. he stands out with the acoustic and with horns etc yet its really a different thing and different kind of energy. it just always gets me wondering if there is more of a master plan or not etc but i try not to think about it too much. its a good flow, i am going with it

i am on a mission this week to pick up the hard copy.

regarding the free download, it did not work for me. i only had time to try once, it sounded like it would email me the songs but i didn't see them, and had checked my spam folder

i guess i will try a different email address next

oh yeah i was watching the tv recording with my brother who was visiting last night. at first he thought it was a movie. he noted the couple at the guitar shop and then later in the theater. he was like its great music but if its the whole plot of the movie its kind of odd. i was like no its a concert dvd i am not sure what is up with that couple. i had just kid of noticed the shot of them in the audience and noted it was not the typical pan of the crowd sort of thing. he said he knows the man is an actor he just couldn't place his name so thats why at first he thought it was going to be a movie but started wondering when it was so heavy on Joe so i am wondering about how that came to be. then i kept thinking to myself what is up with the monkey????then i realized i think it was king kong smile

Hi Jane, sent you a PM about the bonus tracks, hope it works. All the best, Tibor