Re: Covers you would love to hear Joe do

I'd love to hear Joe do more Warren Haynes stuff, like "If Heartaches Were Nickels." Joe seems to interpret Warren's stuff very well. I'm thinking "Worried Down with the Blues" would be a good candidate. It's very powerful, straight-forward and has a lot of "Space" available for Joe to work his magic in. It has a similar pace as "If Heartaches Were Nickels," and it features one of the best traditional blues lyrics I've heard in a long time: "I used to walk with pride, with my head held high, now I'm staring down at my shoes, yes I'm worried - worried down with the blues." Sweet....

Glen Winfrey wrote:
jim m wrote:
Deezer wrote:

Hey, he did Are You Experienced.

Purple Haze and Foxy Lady would be the most recognizeable for the ordinary listener from that album. AYE especially Hendrix's version was not played on the radio in the day. It is also not often covered.

Just an opinion but I trust Joe's decision on covers. How about a best of Album. What should be on it. Maybe Joe should release one for Christmas. Then take his time on an all original new album. Okay maybe a couple of covers but like I said I trust him he hasn't picked a bad one yet.

Sorry to hijack your topic Glen but here is the new question. What would you include on a best of Joe B.

Good idea Jim, but the "best of" cd in my thinking would need to be a multiple cd set... hard to pick the best of the best, in 10 songs or less. Guess these are my favorites:

Woke Up Dreaming
Pain & Sorrow
Reconsider Baby
You Upset Me Baby
Travellin’ South (yeah baby…. to Texas!)
Under The Radar
Blues Deluxe
Takin’ The Hit
Had To Cry Today (with that signature Starship Trooper / Yes… finally)
Colour & Shape
The River
Wild About You Baby
Steppin’ Out / Rice Pudding
Mountain Time (slower / bluesy rendition)
Faux Mantini
Never Say Goodbye
Don’t Burn Down That Bridge
Long Distance Blues
Grey Goose Boogie / Texas sized stuffed jalapenos olives  - live rendition

As I sit here typing this…… Houston’s radio station KIOL just played Blues Deluxe, and it does my soul good!!! More news to come……..

Cheers!

Glen Winfrey

Oops…. Can’t believe I left off  “Are You Experienced “ / live with the loooong intro…

Cheers from Houston...!

***   "... I don't want you to play me a riff that's going to impress Joe Satriani; give me a riff that makes a kid want to go out and buy a guitar and learn to play ..."   ***             Ozzy Osbourne

jim m,

I think you need to work on your hijacking........

PC

“A friend is someone that will help you move............a TRUE friend will help you move the bodies." -- anon

"Souped' Up Ford" by Rory Gallagher but who would know?

41 (edited by Joanie 2006-06-14 00:34:32)

James Gang w/Tommy Bolin - "Standing in the Rain"

"Hard Time Killing Floor" (any version)

Rory Gallagher - "They Don't Make Them Like You Anymore"

And there are a couple songs from a few local bands I'd like to see Joe cover. I think he could do something interesting with the material - it's just begging for his input. Two songs that immediately come to mind are "My Baby Whips Me With Her Love" - gotta hear the song to appreciate the title - and "Hands Turned Upward", which Joe already has his hands on.

I'd also really love to get him in on a jam with Shane Dwight on "Come See Me" or anything with Stoney Curtis.

The blues isn't about a look or a specific sound, the blues is something deep within. But the sound doesn't hurt things, you know? ~ Ben Hernandez

Either 'I Woke Up This Morning' by Ten Years After or 'Unanswered Questions' by Harvey Mandel.
Two songs Joe could make his own.

"The blues is just a good man feelin' bad"

Oh man!!! Someone was right on!  SRV Texas Flood!  There are a few others too but man that would be way cool!  I definately think Stevie would freak out in his grave at that one!

I'd like to hear Joe play something that no one would be expecting him to do. Everyone expects him to do Hendrix or BB King... I'd like to hear him re-do a semi-obscure country, folk, or old pop song, reworked into a heavy, kick-ass blues guitar anthem. It'll take me a while to think of one though.

Jane H. wrote:

If song length is not an issue, Judas Priest's Victim of Changes is up there on my list, but not something I imagine Joe is interested in but who knows, stranger things have happened.
[

Another "Sad Wings of Destiny" fan, Jane? That record rocks. I was a big JP fan before they became popular because of that album. I don't know about Joe covering "Victim of Changes" though.

Full Bug- Van Halen / Diver Down
Have You Ever Loved A Women/ D&D Eric Clapton
Empty Arms/SRV

Perhaps for something different...need to change the title, too.

Rock Will Never Die-Michael Schenker (change to Blues)

WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE~~~JIMI HENDRIX

Swloessy wrote:

Trower's " Day of the Eagle"

A Trower song would be awesome. It's amazing the styles of the two are so similar.

I'd love to hear Joe do a Bonamassatized rendition of "TIME MACHINE" by GRAND FUNK RAILROAD !

Tell me about the car i saw parked outside your door ? Tell me what you left me waiting two or three hours for ? Tell me why when the phone rings, baby, your up and across the floor ? Please dont keep me wondering no more.....

darrflo wrote:

I'd love to hear Joe do a Bonamassatized rendition of "TIME MACHINE" by GRAND FUNK RAILROAD !

Now you're talking - any old GFR...Mr. Limousine Driver, Heartbreaker, Winter and my Soul...

Oh yeah, how about inside looking out and let Mark do a little grooving???

Love, Peace, Beatles and JOE!!!

Barry

Love, Peace, Beatles and JOE!!!

This is just me but the less covers and the more Joe stuff the better.

Larry Gude wrote:

This is just me but the less covers and the more Joe stuff the better.

It's not just you.

Blues ain't nothin' but a good woman gone bad.

Of course, John, now looking through the liner notes of 'Had to cry today' I see some of my favs he didn't write!

I think I'll just sit back and let Joe drive 'cause I like where he's going!