1 (edited by DW 2007-07-20 22:52:35)

Topic: Marshall tone help

Alright, so I own the jcm2000 TSL. Joe at one time gave me some tone settings that sounded good live with this amp. The sound was very harsh to begin with so I swapped out the stock speakers for some vintage 30's. They aren't real smooth but better than the scooped mid headache agravating thrash style speakers that came in the cab. I was curious what I could do tone wise with this amp, increasing the presence and substituting the treble control instead reduced the harsh bite of the amp. He has used the Dual Super Lead and I don't know if there are tonal differences or if the TSL just has 3 independent channels instead of 2. I know he used JCM2000's live at some point and wondered what his live settings were on them. If anyone knows of a 87' jubilee series or a slash signature series marshall for sale let me know. Thanks

Re: Marshall tone help

If you want to get a sound more like Joe's,  then using any 'pre-amp' distortion is best avoided- you need to get those output valves cooking!  I'm a Marshall fan- but I only like their old plexi amps or the vintage re-issue range- all those fizzy scooped pre-amp 'wasp-in-a-bucket' amps hurt my ears big time- looks like they're hurting your too! 

Personally I really like the tones Joe had on the Rockpalast DVD, and I spied a Marshall Bluesbreaker combo in his backline.  These can be found fairly cheaply on eBay, and as they're fairly low powered (around 35 watts) you can crank them up to get that juicy compression from the valve rectifier.  I play in a fairly loud blues band and it's loud enough for most situations- even though the bass player uses 300 watts!

For now, try just using the 'normal' channel- turn up the pre-amp to get a slightly 'warm' clean sound, then use a good overdrive pedal for solos - Joe uses an Ibanez tubescreamer; I use either an old Fuzzface or I can personally recommend the Xotic BB (which stands for Bluesbreaker!) which is a fabulously warm overdrive.

good luck!

Mitch.

This don't look like no express way to me...

For an affordable pedal, you may also consider Marshall's 'Bluesbreaker 2', which is an approximation of what it says, 'bluesbreaker in a box'. It has previously also been used by Gary Moore.

DW,

Just to let you know, we are now buiding Joe's marshall style amps, and we can build them to the exact standards now for the general public.  Might be an alternative if you can't find a Jubalee.

Don Ritter
Artist Relations
Category 5 Amplification
www.Category5amps.com

What is the approx costs of such an amp?

Chris,

For USA power, $2995.00  For Dual Power, $3150.00  10% goes to the Blues in the Schools program.  THese are made with the military spec parts and Mercury Transformers.

DonR

7 (edited by corpse 2007-07-22 07:12:11)

I have been using Analogman pedals for a while- I have one of Mike's modded Boss SD-1 and it is pretty warm. A good tech and $150 can really do wonders for anything Marshall. Alot if it is the components, and the values for the caps, which allow that "ice pick" brightness you are talking about.
I have a 50 watt non-Master reissue plexi and keep the treble around three, and the presence at 5- and control the volume from my guitar. I haven't 'modded' it though.
I have to go solder a new switch in my wah-wah pedal now- we are practicing in a couple of hours. Wish me luck...

There are some great pedals out there, that can help a lot. But yeah, you probably gotta have the amp's volume up past noon to get the tones you want. I can't suggest exact amp settings, because everyone's touch, etc. is different.

If you're thinking of using pedals, here's some excellent pedals I've used: Hermida ZenDrive (kind of a Dumble tone), MI Audio Blues Pro (almost "ZZTop In A Box"!), Pedalworx Cactus Crunch (old-style CC really seemed to turn a Fender amp into a Marshall). And if you want the "Ultimate Tube Screamer" pedal, you should try the Pedalworx "Tejas".

Hope that helps!

Early 80's 1957 U.S. Vintage Reissue Stratocaster (Surf Green)-Warmouth Soloist  Pearly Gates Neck, Pearly Gates Bridge- Larrivee D-03 (Mahogany/ Spruce)
Carmen Ghia Head- Marshall 112 Cab W/G12H 30  or  Custom 4 X 6v6 Head  or  Budda Twinmaster Plus Head-Traynor 212 Cab w/Eminence Texas Heats. 
Mo'D-Eternity-Blues Pro- Timmy-BYOC Chorus/Vibrato- TC SCF- Korg DT 10 Pedal Tuner

I swear by my Analogman Sunface fuzz.

-Jess
Check out my band Beth and The Black Cat Bones http://www.myspace.com/bethandtheblackcatbones
Also my own page for my guitar playing http://www.myspace.com/jesszub

if you are wanting to get away from the harsh ear-piercing aspects of speakers, you could put a plexi-glass sound wall in front of your speakers. that or have the speakers face the wall instead of the audience. You'll get to turn it up without people covering their ears or cringing.  Also, doing so helps the sound fill the room.

hope that helps

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I have a Keeley Ultra Mod DS-1 that he calls "Marshall in a Box." That might be a little overstated but if you use the tone control to keep the highs in check and keep the gain around 1 or 2 o'clock it sounds pretty sweet, particularly with humbuckers or P-90s. I run it through a 4x10 DeVille with just a touch of breakup and it gives me a pretty big sound a lower volumes.

Blessings,
Larry

"...play skillfully and shout for joy." Psalm 33:3b (honest, it really says that)

On Marshalls, Joe usually runs the gain about noon, the bass close to all the way up, the mids a little past noon and the treble at about 10-11 o'clock If you start around those settings, that can help you get a smoother non ice pick sound... mitch has it right on- the main reason Joe's tone is so articulate is that he runs the output valves hard a lays off on the pre-amp distortion... if you can do that somehow (a THD hot plate or similar is good for that) you should be able to get closer to his sound...

BUT above all else- SOUND LIKE YOURSELF!!!  Everyone is going to have different aspects of their tone they just can't get away from- learn to embrace this uniqueness and get the most out of it- no matter how hard you try you WILL NOT sound like Joe- even if you played through his exact setup with his guitars etc. its just not gonna happen.

hope this helps
Scott

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

http://www.last.fm/user/skynyrd128

kwsjb1238 wrote:

On Marshalls, Joe usually runs the gain about noon, the bass close to all the way up, the mids a little past noon and the treble at about 10-11 o'clock If you start around those settings, that can help you get a smoother non ice pick sound... mitch has it right on- the main reason Joe's tone is so articulate is that he runs the output valves hard a lays off on the pre-amp distortion... if you can do that somehow (a THD hot plate or similar is good for that) you should be able to get closer to his sound...

BUT above all else- SOUND LIKE YOURSELF!!!  Everyone is going to have different aspects of their tone they just can't get away from- learn to embrace this uniqueness and get the most out of it- no matter how hard you try you WILL NOT sound like Joe- even if you played through his exact setup with his guitars etc. its just not gonna happen.

hope this helps
Scott

one thing you can try is plug a cord into your effects loop if you have one. you dont even need pedals, just plug a cord into the send and return.  Then you can turn the send/return knobs to zero, and turn the master volume all the way up.  That sends major juice through the tubes - and your effects send/return become you new volume controls.

I tried this once, and at really low volumes it sounded really thin, but at med. volumes it was alright...i'd never use this config on stage though...I dont like it THAT much.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:
kwsjb1238 wrote:

hope this helps
Scott

one thing you can try is plug a cord into your effects loop if you have one. you dont even need pedals, just plug a cord into the send and return.  Then you can turn the send/return knobs to zero, and turn the master volume all the way up.  That sends major juice through the tubes - and your effects send/return become you new volume controls.

I tried this once, and at really low volumes it sounded really thin, but at med. volumes it was alright...i'd never use this config on stage though...I dont like it THAT much.

Interesting idea- never heard of that before... so its like a homemade hot plate?

"Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought-- particularly for people who can never remember where they have left things." - Woody Allen

kwsjb1238 wrote:

On Marshalls, Joe usually runs the gain about noon, the bass close to all the way up, the mids a little past noon and the treble at about 10-11 o'clock

these settings...are these the settings on the clean channel with the rhythm clip on or off? or the settings on the lead channel?

greetings from the Netherlands!

Mark

mark2204 wrote:
kwsjb1238 wrote:

On Marshalls, Joe usually runs the gain about noon, the bass close to all the way up, the mids a little past noon and the treble at about 10-11 o'clock

these settings...are these the settings on the clean channel with the rhythm clip on or off? or the settings on the lead channel?

greetings from the Netherlands!

Mark

Probably lead channel