Re: Muddy Wolf Live DVD review

I have given warrented continued attention to Joe since i first purchased Blues Deluxe in 2004 and saw him live in 2005,

Yes he has always delivered and miss him at your saddened peril, when he takes on a challenge you can be sure he will attack it with ferocious desire, Royal Albert Hall 1 was a Huge challenge jump from small theatres to that venue, add Eric Clapton along side and you may have thought oh my god, but from that day, Joe grew in confidence and composure to grace all the big stages on the planet and take on Musical ventures in his stride and put his own wild spin on them with style.

Vienna Acoustic was huge and accompolished with grace and humbling finesse
Tour De Force was crazy tough and smashed through 4 Big shows all different in style
Muddy Wolf at Red Rocks as you say is just Scintillating and awesome in production and delivery with also paying homage truthfully to Muddy & Howlin' but yet reviving life into those legendary tunes, yeah the adventure part which you must watch first is a history lesson of where The Blues originated from and some really great stories and moment found by and explained by Joe and Kevin with who they meet
i knew it would be awesome, thats why i travelled to the 3 shows to soak this little Joe journey to Red Rocks, it was an awe inspiring week culminating at Red Rocks, well well worth it

............ Michael

ps     The 3 Kings Tour will i believe top this, and be i believe Joe's Best Tour Ever
so dont miss out on that one
cool

Joe Bonamassa .......  His Greatest 3 Videos ... IMMHO   After Much Deliberation
3rd ...... Mountain Time / Rockpalast       http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01xa6NMsJo
2nd ...... Sloe Gin       /  Vienna            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRASS8O8ZnE           
1st ....... Blues Deluxe / The Borderline    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnl3E_KLxYg

Champster wrote:

I almost passed on this Blu-ray/DVD because there were so many covers of old blues songs that aren't original Joe material.  I'm just not a fan at all of the old-tymie songs as originally composed & presented, although I definitely appreciate the inspiration the original blues masters have had on the rock-era artists that came after them.  Anyway, boy would skipping on this DVD have been a mistake!

I pulled the trigger on it a bit late, but got it Friday & spent most of yesterday watching it & re-watching parts of it time & again.  I LOVE this DVD!!  My concerns about hearing ancient plodding/depressing/tinny blues tunes were unfounded, since Joe & the awesome band transformed them into modern upbeat versions, and made them sound great.  The solo spots were out of this world, and the JB staples at the end of the DVD were really welcome.

Joe's solo in John Henry was THE best ever kick-@ss rock solo ever I think. I've watched that alone about 10 times already smile.  I was curious what he was going to do w/o the theramin, but boy was I surprised. Even better!

I think my favorite part overall was the Joe & Kevin's Excellent Adventure bonus section piece.  I loved the way it was put together - like you were hanging out with Joe & Kevin for a day and driving around with them.  Really cool.  I should know better than to skip on anything that Joe/Roy/Kevin put out.  These guys are all geniuses in their respective fields, and a rare convergence of talent that warrants continued attention, no matter what they collaborate on.

Thanks for posting your comment. I'm with you on not liking the blues as heard on the old 78's Victrola that is. I like modern blues and Joe modernized and energized those standards although Muddy and Howlin I believe were recorded on 45's and 33 1/3 still the versions of these songs that I connect with were all done by the Brits.  Joe's modern take has a definite American feel. I always have said Joe was going to drag the blues kicking and screaming into the 21st Century.

21 (edited by TrevR 2015-04-13 22:19:12)

My CD and Bluray arrived yesterday.......FINALLY!!!

Put the CD on the sound system immediately and cranked it up.  Fantastic!!

I had not read any reviews from this site until a moment ago - I kept myself deliberately in the dark, I wanted to make up my own mind.

While I liked the old blues stuff, ( the band sure was rockin 'that night) I was completely blown away by Sloe Gin and John Henry.  I know I am going to appreciate the album the more I play it.

Will wait until the weekend to watch the Bluray in it's entirety.

Another worthy addition to my JB collection.

Now to get the Muddy Wolf Band to tour Australia!!!!

Yes, although many of these tunes are old standards, Joe adds a totally Rockin' spin to them...I'm sure Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters would have been a little amazed or amused at these new re-imaginings !

jim m wrote:
Champster wrote:

I almost passed on this Blu-ray/DVD because there were so many covers of old blues songs that aren't original Joe material.  I'm just not a fan at all of the old-tymie songs as originally composed & presented, although I definitely appreciate the inspiration the original blues masters have had on the rock-era artists that came after them.  Anyway, boy would skipping on this DVD have been a mistake!

I pulled the trigger on it a bit late, but got it Friday & spent most of yesterday watching it & re-watching parts of it time & again.  I LOVE this DVD!!  My concerns about hearing ancient plodding/depressing/tinny blues tunes were unfounded, since Joe & the awesome band transformed them into modern upbeat versions, and made them sound great.  The solo spots were out of this world, and the JB staples at the end of the DVD were really welcome.

Joe's solo in John Henry was THE best ever kick-@ss rock solo ever I think. I've watched that alone about 10 times already smile.  I was curious what he was going to do w/o the theramin, but boy was I surprised. Even better!

I think my favorite part overall was the Joe & Kevin's Excellent Adventure bonus section piece.  I loved the way it was put together - like you were hanging out with Joe & Kevin for a day and driving around with them.  Really cool.  I should know better than to skip on anything that Joe/Roy/Kevin put out.  These guys are all geniuses in their respective fields, and a rare convergence of talent that warrants continued attention, no matter what they collaborate on.

Thanks for posting your comment. I'm with you on not liking the blues as heard on the old 78's Victrola that is. I like modern blues and Joe modernized and energized those standards although Muddy and Howlin I believe were recorded on 45's and 33 1/3 still the versions of these songs that I connect with were all done by the Brits.  Joe's modern take has a definite American feel. I always have said Joe was going to drag the blues kicking and screaming into the 21st Century.

Murfdog

Have watched it at leaset 10 times now and also bought the 2-CD. It is by far the best musical product I've bought in years.

As a Blues performance I like the Muddy Wolf concert but as I have said elsewhere I think the guitar tone is unimpressive.

One thing that does confuse me is that if the concert was a tribute to Muddy Waters and Howling' Wolf, why did Joe play the Cream version of Spoonful?

RichardH wrote:

As a Blues performance I like the Muddy Wolf concert but as I have said elsewhere I think the guitar tone is unimpressive.

One thing that does confuse me is that if the concert was a tribute to Muddy Waters and Howling' Wolf, why did Joe play the Cream version of Spoonful?

Well, a cover is a cover is a cover.
Joe certainly didn't replicate Muddy or Wolf.
It has been a little while since I've heard Cream's version...were you again referring to the "unimpressive guitar tone"?

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"