Topic: Stage nerves

Ik this is completely off topic ,but does anybody know how to deal with being nervous on stage??like I can play fast JB riffs at home but on stage I chicken out:(

Joe Bonamassa changed my guitar playing in a good way

Re: Stage nerves

eatemijw1998 wrote:

Ik this is completely off topic ,but does anybody know how to deal with being nervous on stage??like I can play fast JB riffs at home but on stage I chicken out:(

Yeah like most we all sound better and play better in the comfort of familiar surrounding. As you know first practice practice practice. Back in another life when I use to gig all the time what I used to so is before sound check get really fimilar with the room you are playing in. Try to spend as much time as you can before sound check with the band noodling in the room. Second I would suggest ask some people that may be in the audience during sound check if there are not people there at sound check invite some then ask them what they think? I found this technique helped me later in life when I had to make major presentations in front of high profile customers. I found I was already relaxed before the event. Good luck all I can say is it will get easier but a little nerves is good it makes it exciting and keeps you on your toes. Great question by the way
Cheers Ron

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

cindyron wrote:
eatemijw1998 wrote:

Yeah like most we all sound better and play better in the comfort of familiar surrounding. As you know first practice practice practice. Back in another life when I use to gig all the time what I used to so is before sound check get really fimilar with the room you are playing in. Try to spend as much time as you can before sound check with the band noodling in the room. Second I would suggest ask some people that may be in the audience during sound check if there are not people there at sound check invite some then ask them what they think? I found this technique helped me later in life when I had to make major presentations in front of high profile customers. I found I was already relaxed before the event. Good luck all I can say is it will get easier but a little nerves is good it makes it exciting and keeps you on your toes. Great question by the way
Cheers Ron

(thanks man Ill try this ... I have been wanting to throw in a couple of his riffs to mix stuff up... but chicken out and just play what I originally Have (hopefully ur advice works smile

eatemijw1998 wrote:
cindyron wrote:
eatemijw1998 wrote:

Cheers Ron

(thanks man Ill try this ... I have been wanting to throw in a couple of his riffs to mix stuff up... but chicken out and just play what I originally Have (hopefully ur advice works smile

Do not give up, keep trying you can get past it

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others

cindyron wrote:
eatemijw1998 wrote:
cindyron wrote:

Cheers Ron

Do not give up, keep trying you can get past it

Controlled steady breathing can really shut down the jitters.  Practice that too, before the day of so you get some muscle memory.
I am not a musician but it works well before getting on a tough fractious horse.

Double Luck!
Tahoe Jo

Tahoe Jo

Wow. Nothing kills stage fright like knowing the material & the instrument intimately.  If you don't know the material you're nervous.  I jam around a lot.  I'm a bass man who plays a little keys and sings a little.  One thing I notice about bedroom noodling.

You think you know it, but until you play it with another musician and/or drum machine, you can't get the timing down.  So you get nerves.  I could say I instead of you.  Same message, same problem.  So practice with a collaborator, and make it happen.  Slow it down, get the groove and it will happen.

it happens to me after 500 years of playing because I forget stuff if I don't play/practice it fully focused. 

Hope that helps!

Rock On & Keep the FAITH
             It is
Blues From the Bottoms

(Yeh I can jam with a band and play fast crap with them it's just live lol )

bigjeffjones wrote:

Wow. Nothing kills stage fright like knowing the material & the instrument intimately.  If you don't know the material you're nervous.  I jam around a lot.  I'm a bass man who plays a little keys and sings a little.  One thing I notice about bedroom noodling.

You think you know it, but until you play it with another musician and/or drum machine, you can't get the timing down.  So you get nerves.  I could say I instead of you.  Same message, same problem.  So practice with a collaborator, and make it happen.  Slow it down, get the groove and it will happen.

it happens to me after 500 years of playing because I forget stuff if I don't play/practice it fully focused. 

Hope that helps!

That's how I practice is constantly with a drum machine lol...this way I'm always in time ....but thanks I'll try it )

bigjeffjones wrote:

Hope that helps!

One thing i'll add is do you practise at home standing up or sitting down? if you sit down, standing when you do a gig will feel different and that can take you out of your comfort zone as well.

I practiced standing up so its the opposite I can't play sitting down lol

David.247 wrote:

One thing i'll add is do you practise at home standing up or sitting down? if you sit down, standing when you do a gig will feel different and that can take you out of your comfort zone as well.

hey thanks so much i played today and really tried what u said and was just more confident and sure of myself and it helps ALOT 

cindyron wrote:
eatemijw1998 wrote:

Cheers Ron