1 (edited by Dana 2014-11-16 15:53:15)

Topic: New Guitar Owner

Well, I finally did it.  I went ahead and purchased an acoustic guitar and have signed up for lessons.  I have taken two lessons so far and I am enjoying it.  I think the biggest challenge for me will getting my fingers use to the stretching.  I am 4'11" and have small hands.  Any tips from the aficionados out there?

Re: New Guitar Owner

Hi, at the beginning i would suggest to play along some of your favorite songs, something easy so that you can patiently learn Chord shapes without tiring your hands and fingers too much. With time you will get strength and calluses on the tip of your fingers and everything will come a lot easier! smile

I don't know what music you like...I started playing Oasis, Dylan, Springsteen, basically everything with good lyrics i can sing along and an acoustic guitar. This will put a little fun in your exercises, then as you keep taking lessons you will find the right exercises to become better and better everyday.

There's nothing better that playing guitar!...And maybe if you're really good at it, we will see you in a few years playing with Joe! smile

Ciao!

Fender John Mayer, Clapton CS, Ash Tele Am. Deluxe; Gibson Les Paul std. 2005, Es-335 Bonamassa (JB328), Warren Haynes; PRS Tremonti 10 Top; Asher Ben Harper Sig. / Martin D41; Taylor 914CE; Takamine TNV460SC; Rockbridge SJ & 000-12/ Two Rock Custom Reverb Signature V3; Marshall TSL100; Fender Twin Reverb '65; Orange Tiny Terror, Blackstar Artisan 15 Combo.

Great advice Stefan ..

Congrats Dana!  smile

Now I am definitely no aficionado on the subject, and as mundane as this sounds, I found that practising simple scales was a huge benefit along the way. Ur fingers are gonna use muscles u never knew existed.  Have fun and don't be discouraged .. u will find a good wrist/hand placement that is comfortable for u, and the simple exercises will help a great deal.

Rock on Girl and good luck!  cool

The BonaMaritimer .. All Dials To The Right!

Hi Dana. Congratulations! Building muscle memory takes a lot of time and effort, but its really at the core of learning guitar. Learning all the basic open chords and being able to change from chord to chord is when it really starts to be fun. The Eagles have a lot of songs that are perfect for practicing open chord changes. For example, "Already Gone" is basically G, D, C, repeated over and over. Try to find time every day, even if its only for a few minutes. Stick with it, and it will get to be more rewarding and more fun as time goes on.

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How I’d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

5 (edited by sally12333 2014-11-16 16:56:41)

Good for you, Dana!  It will all come with practice and simply playing as much as possible. 

Back in ancient times I used to chord and strum and have sing-alongs in the dorm...fun times, but haven't played since then.  Just last week I was inspired to take that same $45, 40 year old acoustic* and got it restrung (I hope the bridge holds up).  So you and I will be in the same boat.  Good luck to both of us!!

(*Joe signed it two years ago!!!  big_smile  That has to provide some inspiration!)

"To repeat a good thing is to sit still; to take a chance is to grow." - Joe Bonamassa
I need some Joe...NOW.
Joe = Joy

Just have fun with it.

Good for you!

1) Have fun with it!
2) Practicing a little bit every day is better than playing once a week for a couple hours.  Obviously, you have to do what works for your schedule and find a balance there
3) A good teacher will help you figure out what you want to do on guitar and then make a plan to get there.  Remember, though, the teacher is there to serve you.  If they aren't hearing what you're saying or are pushing you down a path that's not in alignment with your goals (or other constraints) you might have to find another teacher.  Some teachers are great with beginners, some are really not.  The right person can make all the difference.  See #1.

I don't wanna poopoo acoustics for beginners, but they are harder to play than electrics. A Fender Squire Stratocaster would have been easier to play than that acoustic. Less hard on your fingers, and smaller neck. People say you gotta start out on an acoustic is not exactly correct all the time.

1. If you like the acoustic, that's awesome! I would drop $40 and have it "setup" by a tech. Have the action lowered and put some extra light strings on it... .10's or .11's. That should make it easier on your fingers too.

2. Acoustic strings get gross and grungy, so when they start to look gross, it's time to change them. New strings will bring back the vibrance. My hands sweat a lot, so I gotta change them more often.

3. Get a Snark tuner, and make sure it's always in tune. I would avoid any other gimmicks people try to sell you. Maybe get a capo and a cleaning cloth. smile

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

I started about a year and a half ago and have enjoyed every moment! I would say don't force yourself to practice and play whenever you feel like it. I know for me I can go a few days without wanting to play at all, and then I become crazy obsessed with learning a new song. Just take it in stride and record your progress! I have recordings of after my first lesson, and it's painful to watch! lol But, looking back i've come quite a long way. Enjoy it!!

I believe there are pro's and con's to starting on an electric or acoustic. I started on an electric, and played only an electric for about a year. The first time I gave an acoustic a try it seemed so hard to play. For that reason I lean toward beginners starting on an acoustic. A snark tuner is a great recommendation. I started playing back before tuners were practical. I remember playing along with records, and the speeds would be off, and you had to tune to each record and I was never really in tune, A 440. Today, with precise tuners and digital recordings its so much easier.

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How I’d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

Wow, lots of good advice here Dana!  There sure are pros and cons to most things, and acoustic vs electric is certainly on the list.  Personally I chose electric because of the music, but I have an acoustic too, it typically has more dust on it smile

Muscle memory is a big one to remember, practice as slowly as you need to in order to be as accurate as possible.  Small hands might slow you down in the beginning or maybe you will just play a bit differently.  But if you are enjoying it, I expect it won't be a problem.  I had a hand injury similar to Tony Iommi (have you listened to Joe's Pickup Radio show on this topic?), I have to play differently than everyone else...but I still play!

I do hope your teacher teaches to YOU!  Not to everyone else that is not in the room with you.  Teaches to what your style might be, your taste, your ability and pace.  You're paying for it, get your money's worth, it is so worth it!

Have fun.

Steve

2011 Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio...among others.
Beacon Theater, New York, May 18, 2013/Keeping The Blues Alive at Sea, Feb. 17-21, 2015/3 Kings Tour, Bangor, ME, Aug. 12, 2015

12 (edited by ZeyerGTR 2014-11-18 22:24:38)

RE: electric or acoustic - pick whichever one is more suited to the kind of music you like, your hands will get used to it.  Acoustics aren't *that* much harder to play.  Like anything else, follow your passion and make a choice based on what you do want (the style of music you're into), not based on what you're afraid of (harder to play).

Congratulations and good luck!!  I started back in May of this year and I started on an acoustic guitar.  I bought it to start because I wanted to make sure that I would stick with it before I invested in an electric and an amp...and other assorted guitar goodies.  smile 

It's been one of the most difficult things that I have tried to do but it has also been one of the most rewarding.  You'll have ups and downs, you'll feel like your never "going to get it", but if you stick with it and practice diligently you will get better and things will come easier for you.  Everyone learns at a different pace so don't get too caught up in comparing your learning curve to others. 

I am by no means good, but if you would have told me 6 months ago that I would be able to play and do what I can now I wouldn't have believed you.  This is something that I have wanted to do for the last 30 years but never found the inspiration (or dedication) to take the plunge, then I saw Joe in April and I haven't looked back.  I'm having a blast. I now own an electric (it's my avatar pic) so now I am enjoying the best of both worlds, acoustic and electric.

Again, congratulations, good luck and above all else...have fun!!

Yeah, it starts off as just an acoustic guitar, then its "oh I need a tuner" or "what does a capo do?" sooner or later you find yourself with a room full of gear and no money! :fp

lol! Good luck with it. smile

petew wrote:

Yeah, it starts off as just an acoustic guitar, then its "oh I need a tuner" or "what does a capo do?" sooner or later you find yourself with a room full of gear and no money! :fp

lol! Good luck with it. smile

Usually sooner smile

So if I want to start with a Fender Squire Strat what type of amp do you guys recommend.
What other equipment would I need to get started?

The only thing we deserve, is an opportunity.  Everything else has to be earned.

bobkatmsu wrote:

So if I want to start with a Fender Squire Strat what type of amp do you guys recommend.

For about $120 US, the Fender Mustang is a great practice amp. I bought one for my son, and even after adding a few tube amps that we don't really need :-), I think his mustang was a great deal.

My youngest wanted a guitar too, and I bought him a small vox, and that one is junk.

Lots of people plug into their computer or iPad, but the interface for that will cost $100, so I think the small mustang is a great amp to start with.

bobkatmsu wrote:

I agree with Tim about the Mustang amp.  I own a Fender Champion which is the same as the Mustang but without the computer access.  They are both modeling amps and are good starter amps for a good price. 

I would also throw out the option of a Blackstar ID Core as an option as well.  They come in 10 ($100), 20 ($150) and 40 ($200) watts.  The 10 or 20 would be more than enough for a practice amp.  I really like their amps and my next amp will be a Blackstar.

Try out a few options if you can at a local guitar shop and see what you like.  But again, the Fender Mustangs or Champions are good options as well as the Blackstar ID Core amps.

The only other things that you would need outside of an amp are a cable, a tuner and a guitar stand and you should be good to go.  Good luck and have fun!!!