Re: who is going to the Springfield Ma show?

Joe just tweeted that the show is on and to drive safe!

"To repeat a good thing is to sit still; to take a chance is to grow." - Joe Bonamassa
I need some Joe...NOW.
Joe = Joy

Just got home from work, the roads are a bit yucky, but there is less than three inches of snow on the ground at 4PM.

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How I’d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

Decided it's not worth the risk, had great balcony seats over looking the stage too.

Hoping everyone made it to the show and back safely and enjoyed one hell of a performance. I'm sure, considering the circumstances, it'll be one to be talked about for some time. I hope you were treated to something extra special in fact.

Looking forward to reading the reviews, including Joe's forays into stand-up comedy specific to the night's events.

2009 Orlando+Miami 2010 Stockholm+Hollywood 2011 Boston+Providence 2012 Vienna 2013 Boston 2014 Providence 2016 Providence 2017 Boston 2018 Boston 2019 Boston

23 (edited by Rusty 2014-11-27 00:18:57)

Wow, What a show! I just got back, I should feel guilty, it took me a whole twelve minutes to get home. First up was the meet and greet, and when you hear people say that Joe is a regular guy, you can believe them. It was like talking to someone I've known for years. Joe was in fine form tonight and the whole band sounded awesome. The acoustic set was great, I especially enjoyed Happier Times and DSOB. The electric set was started off with Principal Skinner, and I was in the front row with Joe playing his heart out just a few feet in front of me. Joe gave a slide to a very lucky young man a few seats to my right, but Ill let his dad tell you about that. I had the pleasure to meet Ron, Tim and his son Griff, and a great time was had by all. It will take a few days to come back down to earth.
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How I’d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

It took Grif and I more than 12 minutes to get out of the garage. :)

That was very cool of Joe to toss Griffin his slide during John Henry. That's a memory Grif will have forever. Thanks again to Ron and Rusty.

I'll post the set list and pics later in the weekend, since I need to get up early to cook. The vegetarian got nominated to roast the turkey. Happy thanksgiving to the Bonafans that celebrate that holiday, and happy Thursday to those that do not. :)

25 (edited by samjp4 2014-12-01 20:24:47)

I had better do this before my old memory gives out.  First off - driving one hundred mileseach way in the snow/sleet the night before Thanksgiving is never fun - unless you are headed to a Joe B concert.  I finally turned the news/weather station off in early afternoon because it was making me frantic, and leaving earlier than 4:30pm for Springfield was not an option.  The driving/weather deity cooperated and we made it in time.

The acoustic set was beautiful.  Enjoying the variety of instruments and sound that this band produces, makes a nice bit of "dinner music" as we used to call it before the "main course."  I did not miss WUD at all - Joe had plenty of chances to demonstrate his prowess and speed on the acoustic with his current set list.

Then, the main course.  Although I had seen the set-list before this show I was totally unprepared for it live (purposely didn't watch any of Natasha's vids), and wasn't sure I was going to like it all that much.  By the end of the first song I knew it would all be good.  The songs from the new album are much more impressive in live mode than in studio (I should expect that by now, but hey, I'm getting older and more forgetful these days).  Double Trouble was probably hands down the best of the night for the new tunes.  When Joe was singing about all his "troubles" some guy walking past the stage at the exact right moment said "ain't that the truth" or something to that effect.  Joe heard him and started laughing - almost like it was planned.  I did enjoy the newer versions of the older songs, but I did miss the theremin  (I knew it would go away sooner or later but I still miss it).  The slide work was great, but not quite the same.  The only thing I really couldn't like was the non-use of an Ernie Ball or Gigliotti on Mountain Time.  Although the song and the solos were awesome the richness and depth that I have come to associate with this almost sacred song (to me, anyway) just wasn't there.

I am not a gear head but I must say the new amplifier setup sounded beautiful - dripping with tone.  The rhythm section was great, too.  Lenny adds a lot to the show/sound, Tal is just an animal (yay! I finally got a stick!) and Carmine is the worlds best and most perfectly suave bass player. 

Pictures here:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/24057301@ … 155776558/

Next show in January in Boston.  At least I won't have to drive 100 miles each way in the snow for that one.  Only 20 miles for that one.

Sandy

P.S.  I know that much talk has gone on about some of the crowds.  This show wasn't too bad.  A few whistlers and occasional shouts but nothing too unusual.  Joe didn't seem to be bothered by any of it.  I do wish that people would take their conversations elsewhere. I had two guys next to me that talked about Joe's guitars all night (when they weren't up buying a beer) - save it for the car ride home next time.

"There's a lot of people that are in so much of a hurry to be, I guess, to be famous or that they don't want to take the time to learn to play and do all that.They'd rather just knock it down off a computer and maybe get on a game show and get famous..That's fine if that's what you want to do.
"We're more old school than that. We like creating the sounds."  - Tom Petty

Thank you for your wonderful review, Sandy. It drew me in and "I was there with you". I haven't seen any of the videos from recent shows and don't know if I should before catching Joe next year. Perhaps I should do it sooner than later as I may forgotten about it by March. lol

Your photos are superb as usual, especially if you were using a P&S. I particularly like the B&Ws.

Congrats on getting a stick at last. I managed to catch one at Bournemouth but gave it to a guy who collects drum sticks on the way out. I still have a broken one though. Being an animal, I bet Tal breaks a lot of sticks. big_smile

Thanks for whetting our appetites for the next dose of Joe.

Phil

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

“The guy who has helped the blues industry the most is Joe Bonamassa and I would say he is more rock than some rock stuff, so to me blues is whatever you want it to be!”
Simon McBride in my interview with him in Blues Matters! Issue #56