Re: Different Shades of Blue Bonus Tracks

Skinnylatte wrote:

Well I guess I'll get my copy through Best Buy. Kind of a shame because I figure JB probably makes more money selling on this website, but whatever.  I had waited till after the Red Rocks concert because I thought I might buy Different Shades there.   I also want to pick up one of his older CD's with Beth Hart, or the live one from Vienna. Any recommendations for a first choice, while my budget recovers from that Red Rocks show?

Yeah, bummer there were two versions of the new CD.

rocknblues81 wrote:
Skinnylatte wrote:

Well I guess I'll get my copy through Best Buy. Kind of a shame because I figure JB probably makes more money selling on this website, but whatever.  I had waited till after the Red Rocks concert because I thought I might buy Different Shades there.   I also want to pick up one of his older CD's with Beth Hart, or the live one from Vienna. Any recommendations for a first choice, while my budget recovers from that Red Rocks show?

If we include the live stuff I would say that Vienna is right there near the top for me.

'Live From Nowhere in Particular'  is a great sounding CD, wish he had a DVD for that show. The sound 'quality' is superb for a live recording.
Albert Hall and Beacon DVD's are great shows with guest stars and extended versions, ie; 'Just Got Paid'
I also experimented with the 'So, It's Like That' CD and played it back at a slightly slower speed, makes Joe sound older like his newer stuff.
Though this new CD and the Borderline DVD have horn sections, it makes a change, but I really prefer the heavy blues and the Slow Train/Mountain Time type of songs. And the covers and excerpts he mixes into his own songs on the live dvd's sound great, Zep, Yes, ZZ Top etc...

Having had a good listen to the Bonus tracks I am so happy I decided to get this version of the CD.    All three are great and just great guitar sounds.  Fav of all three is Scarlett Town

I've got Black Irish Eyes on the brain today,  I love the female backing vocals.

rocknblues81 wrote:

They really aren't that great.

Thats's your opinion, not mine.

Artisan wrote:
rocknblues81 wrote:

Now that a I have heard them multiple times,I really like them quite a lot.

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

Artisan wrote:
rocknblues81 wrote:

I've warmed up to Black Irish Eyes and Better The Devil You (to a smaller degree), but I don't care for Scarlet Town. It's just a flat tune. IMO

Black Irish Eyes, Volume at 17 is perfect! This song has so many flavors in it...feels very 70-ish to me...the keyboards at first remind me of Rolling Stones "Gimme Shelter"   Some of guitar licks and rhythms make me think of Bachman,Turner, Overdrive.   Joe's vocals and backup vocals make me think of something I haven't quite put my finger on yet.....guitar riffs are so 70-ish to me......and after working so many Broadway plays this song would also be good onstage for Rock musical....my imagination runs rampant with this song. LOVE IT!!!!!

Scarlet Town makes me think of The Great Flood the way it starts out.

"I'm not nice to any guitar!"      lol
                 Joe Bonamassa 05-03-12

JBLP CHILD #184

That is why music is so awesome.  Everyone has a style or sound that warms there heart.  Great job by Joe and band  of having so many different styles on one CD

46 (edited by ZeyerGTR 2014-10-01 14:10:39)

pattyluvsjoe wrote:

Scarlet Town makes me think of The Great Flood the way it starts out.

To me Scarlet Town sounds like a combination of Gary Moore's Midnight Blues and BB's Thrill is Gone.  They lyrics are very cool, but IMHO the song just goes on way too long w/out much variation.  It needs some editing and different production.  It's not bad, just not as good as the rest of the album.  Just my opinion, of course, worth about 2c (or less).  As a bonus track it's still cool, I'm glad it's on there, but it is the one track on DSOB that I skip most of the time.  Of course, other folks may love it and that's what's great about Joe's catalog, everyone has different favorites.  DSOB is - for me - one of Joe's most consistently great albums.  Really, really digging it.

ZeyerGTR wrote:

Scarlet Town is okay - kind of rambling.  Cool lyrics, but it's a 7 minute song that should probably be 4, or it could have used more dynamics and changes along the way.  It's not a bad song, but not great either.  Probably my least favorite on the album (again, it's not bad, just not up to the level of the rest of the record)

The Devil You Know is a great, groovey bluesy rock tune - love it!  It feels a little more stripped down than some of the other songs on the record, but it works great.  Reminds me of the style of his Borderline set.

I didn't think about it on first listen, but yeah, Black Irish Eyes does have a Stones vibe.  Another great tune in all respects.  Love the female background vocals.

If any forumites w/ the CD don't get the mp3s from the JB store, shoot me a PM.

I really like Scarlett Town, but my first thought was it was about 2 minutes too long.

"Rock ON & Keep the Faith"

Thank you Joe!

Just got the bonus tracks via email.

Anyone who snagged the pre-sale and ordered early ..

Check ur emails folks ..

Thanks again J & R  cool

The BonaMaritimer .. All Dials To The Right!

^ that is really cool.

Waiting for my Best Buy to arrive, had to snag it on eBay.

50 (edited by RickB 2014-10-01 18:36:47)

One user reported his download had a virus detected by his protection. He advised the webmaster. Proceed with caution.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

Buzzy wrote:

Thank you Joe!

Check ur emails folks ..

Thanks again J & R  cool

That's awesome. Did you have to request them? Nothing from Joe in my e-mail.

jwd wrote:

That's awesome. Did you have to request them? Nothing from Joe in my e-mail.

Nope .. just showed up ..

"As a thank-you to his fans, we are sending 3 Bonus Songs to everyone who ordered "Different Shades of Blue" from the Official JBonamassa.com Store.

J&R Adventures
You are getting this email because you purchased Joe Bonamassa's CD on JBonamassa.com".

I always have 2 anti virus systems running .. nothing got flagged here ..

Enjoy .. Cheers! cool

The BonaMaritimer .. All Dials To The Right!

How in hell did Black Irish Eyes not make the original cut?! Probably my favorite tune haha, I love that country-ish/boogie chord play and groove. The double vocals, the mix is brilliant, piano, clear bass.

Buzzy wrote:

Thank you Joe!

Check ur emails folks ..

Thanks again J & R  cool

Nothing in my mail

"Joe B saved my soul, forever grateful Ron"
"Some people dream of worthy accomplishments while others stay awake and do them"
Skinner #1,JBLP 145(aged),252, (unaged),#285HM, Bburst #026, Joes 052 BCC black LP, Strat> RT,EC Gilmour,Beck,Lenny LP> PK 83,CC#2,3,4,9,Amps>Carol Ann RAH JB-100 SN 001,JB100 Red SN02,OD2, OD3,Tucana 2&3 Triptix,Twinkle land, Plexi ,JB Jub, Jubs,Plexi,Satch,Two Rock>others