Re: Different Shades of Blue Bonus Tracks

I'm pretty sure they're not on youtube at the moment - unless they are up under some kind of codename..

I understand marketing, but it is really a kick in the face that those of us who pre-order off of Joe's site the first day pre-order was available to show our support, and pay a premium for doing so, get short-changed by having bonus tracks offered on Best Buy purchased CD, at a significant discount.

Having supported Joe since the ANDY days when he was playing to 50 people in a dank cellar, I am beginning to get a little disenchanted by JR Adventures marketing. If Joe wasn't such an amazing talent, I'd boycott any further purchases. Certainly no more music orders directly from JR. Best Buy from now on.

21 (edited by gary 2014-09-25 20:31:40)

cellardweller wrote:

I understand marketing, but it is really a kick in the face that those of us who pre-order off of Joe's site the first day pre-order was available to show our support, and pay a premium for doing so, get short-changed by having bonus tracks offered on Best Buy purchased CD, at a significant discount.

Having supported Joe since the ANDY days when he was playing to 50 people in a dank cellar, I am beginning to get a little disenchanted by JR Adventures marketing. If Joe wasn't such an amazing talent, I'd boycott any further purchases. Certainly no more music orders directly from JR. Best Buy from now on.

I hope if they do this the next time around they think it through better on how to somehow find a way to deal with the exclusive and still not slight the die hard fans.If it's another 2 years maybe it will get figured out.Otherwise it would seem most people are not going to preorder and wait to see if something like the bonus track disc comes out.
I would say not to get overly worked up about it.Things can happen on business that aren't always handled as well as the should.I bet they are looking at the feedback here.I think let's give me a chance next go around.I think if someone from Joes camp had mentioned early on about the bonus track disc it would have not been a huge problem.However not sure how this affects the overseas markets?

Your rock candy baby
Your hard sweet and sticky

cellardweller wrote:

I totally agree, this does not sit well with me either.  I bought the album through his website as soon as it was announced and I never wavered even after I found out that BB had the CD with bonus tracks.  I want to support JB directly, and I hope that this scenario does not become the norm.

This was definitely a marketing mistake. I completely understand that BestBuy wanted an exclusive in exchange for promoting Joe. However, J&R should have come up with a different kind of exclusive which benefited pre-orders to their site (signed CDs, different bonus tracks, exclusive CD insert, etc). I imagine this not only would have made pre-orderers happy, but also probably would have sold more CDs ~ considering fans who want to own everything buying one of each release. Not good PR ticking off the die-hard fans. FWIW ~ this issue doesn't affect me because I waited to get the best deal since pre-orders weren't anything special (and sometimes get delivered after their availabilty in stores). Just my $.02

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"  unknown

I got my copy yesterday.  I am gonna be the fly in the ointment and say that Oh Beautiful is the standout track.

I wonder if a copy of the TAB will be released like Blues Deluxe, Dust Bowl and Driving Towards the Daylight!?!?

Incidentally does anyone know where I can get a decent set of JB backing tracks other than www.guitarbackingtrack.com?  Looking for Django/Just Got Paid and India/Mountain Time from Live from Nowhere in Particular.

"Anyone can play the notes but only a chosen few can make the music" Said by, well, me.

25 (edited by gary 2014-09-26 20:23:46)

danny.newman wrote:

I got my copy yesterday.  I am gonna be the fly in the ointment and say that Oh Beautiful is the standout track.

I wonder if a copy of the TAB will be released like Blues Deluxe, Dust Bowl and Driving Towards the Daylight!?!?

Incidentally does anyone know where I can get a decent set of JB backing tracks other than www.guitarbackingtrack.com?  Looking for Django/Just Got Paid and India/Mountain Time from Live from Nowhere in Particular.

I haven't made up myind yet but I too think Oh Beautiful may  be my favorite song on the album

Your rock candy baby

In my opinion, this whole thing regarding the Best Buy edition with the bonus tracks - that is, whether it was a marketing mistake, ripoff, or whatever - is not that big of a deal. I think some people are forgetting - or maybe unaware - that there is a limited edition Deluxe Digi-pack version of DSOB available through the JB store and I haven't seen it for sale anywhere else. We have both the Deluxe version and the Best Buy version and I would take the Deluxe version over the Best Buy version any day, even at the cost of $19.99 vs. $11.99.

Again, just my opinion.

What I'm looking forward to more than anything is a live recording/DVD with some of the songs from this record because I think the live versions of "Oh Beautiful", "Love Ain't A Love Song" and "I Gave Up Everything For You" that I've seen and/or heard so far (hopefully more to come) have been superior to the album versions. I don't think any of the bonus tracks will make it to the live set, BTW.

Lee wrote:

In my opinion, this whole thing regarding the Best Buy edition with the bonus tracks - that is, whether it was a marketing mistake, ripoff, or whatever - is not that big of a deal. I think some people are forgetting - or maybe unaware - that there is a limited edition Deluxe Digi-pack version of DSOB available through the JB store and I haven't seen it for sale anywhere else. We have both the Deluxe version and the Best Buy version and I would take the Deluxe version over the Best Buy version any day, even at the cost of $19.99 vs. $11.99.

Again, just my opinion.

What I'm looking forward to more than anything is a live recording/DVD with some of the songs from this record because I think the live versions of "Oh Beautiful", "Love Ain't A Love Song" and "I Gave Up Everything For You" that I've seen and/or heard so far (hopefully more to come) have been superior to the album versions. I don't think any of the bonus tracks will make it to the live set, BTW.

I agree that it would be unlikely for the bonus tracks to be played live.At least not in the regular set list.With all the songs Joe has to pull from those tracts are just not that strong.I enjoy them but not live worthy for the most part if your making choices

Your rock candy baby

28 (edited by nmagcorn 2014-09-26 23:21:18)

I would imagine the live recording they are doing at Radio City Music Hall will have some of the songs. As far as the bonus tracks are concerned, I really like "Better The Devil You Know" and someone on Joe's facebook page said they had contacted Joe's webmaster and that they will be offering these songs as free downloads over the next few weeks.

My wife picked up the Best Buy version for me and the CD liner has no details on the bonus tracks.  Does anyone have any details on the writing credits for them?

nmagcorn wrote:

I would imagine the live recording they are doing at Radio City Music Hall will have some of the songs. As far as the bonus tracks are concerned, I really like "Better The Devil You Know" and someone on Joe's facebook page said they had contacted Joe's webmaster and that they will be offering these songs as free downloads over the next few weeks.

The Devil You Know is my favorite track besides the first two which we had already heard. I think it would be a great live one too.

A curious thing today. I ripped the BB extra tracks cd to my music file on my pc. Once ripped, every track had a different name than what they should have been, and the artist was someone I never heard of.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

danny.newman wrote:

PM sent.

Well I guess I'll get my copy through Best Buy. Kind of a shame because I figure JB probably makes more money selling on this website, but whatever.  I had waited till after the Red Rocks concert because I thought I might buy Different Shades there.   I also want to pick up one of his older CD's with Beth Hart, or the live one from Vienna. Any recommendations for a first choice, while my budget recovers from that Red Rocks show?

Skinnylatte wrote:

Well I guess I'll get my copy through Best Buy. Kind of a shame because I figure JB probably makes more money selling on this website, but whatever.  I had waited till after the Red Rocks concert because I thought I might buy Different Shades there.   I also want to pick up one of his older CD's with Beth Hart, or the live one from Vienna. Any recommendations for a first choice, while my budget recovers from that Red Rocks show?

I like Seesaw better than Don't Explain, but they're both good.  Your taste may vary.  As for his older albums, everyone here seems to have a different favorite (which is the great thing about Joe's catalog).  My Top 3 are Dust Bowl, Ballad of John Henry and Sloe Gin, although Different Shades of Blue is certainly right up there.

ZeyerGTR wrote:
Skinnylatte wrote:

I like Seesaw better than Don't Explain, but they're both good.  Your taste may vary.  As for his older albums, everyone here seems to have a different favorite (which is the great thing about Joe's catalog).  My Top 3 are Dust Bowl, Ballad of John Henry and Sloe Gin, although Different Shades of Blue is certainly right up there.

Thanks for the response.  I already have your top 3, Dust Bowl may be my favorite.  Shades of Blue and one ordered from the web store should keep my ears happy for a while.

Skinnylatte wrote:

If we include the live stuff I would say that Vienna is right there near the top for me.