1 (edited by Sirona 2014-07-04 21:47:23)

Topic: What to look for in a Guitar Teacher?

I'm thinking of taking lessons to learn how to play an acoustic guitar. I've heard learning to play on an electric is much easier but I haven't the room for it.  I have always loved the guitar just never made the effort when I was younger to try it out. After seeing Joe in May, I figured I owed it to myself to give it a try to see if I like it.

I've already met one teacher and the guy seemed nice enough but it just went all wrong. 

He asked me who my favorite guitar players are and he'd only heard of one of them. I knew when I said Joe's name he probably wouldn't have a clue but at least the guy had heard of Peter Frampton.  I didn't think the guitarists I listed were too obscure as their names are thrown around these boards now and then.

I know a lot of people go the self taught route but I'm afraid if I do that I just won't learn because I won't be motivated.

Have any of you taken classes? What advice do you have in finding a good teacher?

https://live365.com/station/a72706

5/16/14 Hampton Beach, NH (First Joe show!)
1/15/16 Burlington, VT

2 (edited by Hogsniper 2014-07-04 22:35:42)

Re: What to look for in a Guitar Teacher?

Go for it!

Good but tough question.

Might just be me but while Joe may have managed to hide from some of us for a while I'd have a hard time believing someone worthwhile that makes their living from the guitar in some way has never even heard of him.

Even with a teacher 99% of the time you will be on your own so the motivation really needs to come from within.  You are doing it for yourself.  Some things like a guitar that inspires you to want to play and teacher you like help but, in the end, it's all you.

For a teacher to be effective you will need to find one you have a rapport with.   They will need to listen to what you want and be able to provide a structure to get there.  If you live in an area where it's possible interview several.   If they won't talk to you without buying a lesson or, when you do, they don't engender any confidence that they understand what you want and have at least some interest in the same music you like keep looking.  Everyone is different.  If they are trying to jam 'lessons from a can' down your throat without adapting to you individually keep looking.

Remember to have fun.  Just grinding chords, scale patterns and theory, while important, will kill your desire fast.  If you want to play an electric don't let space stop you.  Electrics may be heavier but generally have a smaller volume than an acoustic and there are many options the smaller than an ipod you can play through.   Get the best guitar you can afford, a piece of junk barely anyone can get a good sound from will cost more in the end.  It is more important for a beginner to have a good instrument than anyone. Never, ever, pay full retail.

All JMO of course and I'm sure you will get more, and most likely better, but keep us posted.  I'm interested.

Good luck!

I started up with acoustic after I won a nice quality guitar in a contest and used the Gibson lessons with cd and dvd support after recommendations from this board. Was going well on my own until an injury to my left hand stopped practice for 5 months. Strained tendon in the thumb and I couldn't put any pressure in a grip without extreme pain. sad I'm just to the point of getting back into it now.
Rick

Free download from Vienna! http://mbsy.co/bNLR
Lots of unique videos of Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwd5vL8fXTw
Buy Joe's merchandise here. http://www.jbonamassa.com/affiliates/id … hp?id=1381

I went a month with one guitar teacher and just didn't feel like I was learning enough from him...he would mainly talk to me about his band and I just felt like I wasn't learning enough from him. So the next month I switched over to another guy who I got along with much better and was actually effective. Granted the lessons aren't long, mine were 30 min lessons and most of the work you have to practice on your own. I went to a guitar teacher for about 6 months and i'm glad I did because it would motivate me even more. Playing with someone and asking questions is so helpful in person and is way better than always doing it by yourself.

Some people don't need to go to an instructor, but for me I prefer a more hands on learning experience. I say just do some research and try someone out! If it doesn't satisfy your needs then switch to someone else. Good luck!! smile

Hi Sirona,

As it has been said above...A great teacher for one may be an awful teacher for another.  I only ever had one teacher, he came with recommendations, but it did not work out for me.  I still think he was a good teacher though.  I needed someone who could teach to my needs and he either couldn't or wouldn't.  Think for example if Tony Iommi or Django Reinhardt had needed a teacher, they would have needed to think outside the box...my teacher had his box and stayed right in the middle of it! 

To me, what you would like to play, or who you would like to play like, is a consideration but not a deciding factor if you are a new player.  There is a foundation that needs to be built first, then as you build on it, your teacher should be able to lead you in the direction you want to go.  How well they can teach you that foundation is most important.  Lets say he/she doesn't know Joe for example, but knows and likes other great blues players, to me that should work for you just fine. 

Taking acoustic is a great way to start.  It is a bit harder, but if you ever switch to electric it will be easy.

Regards, Steve

Steve

2011 Gibson Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Studio...among others.
Beacon Theater, New York, May 18, 2013/Keeping The Blues Alive at Sea, Feb. 17-21, 2015/3 Kings Tour, Bangor, ME, Aug. 12, 2015

Hogsniper said it best. Have fun. Find a teacher that inspires you. One that makes the lessons fun. Don't be afraid to ask your local musicians who they recommend. Stay motivated. Stay motivated!!! and you'll learn. Good luck.

Hogsniper wrote:

Go for it!

Good but tough question.

Might just be me but while Joe may have managed to hide from some of us for a while I'd have a hard time believing someone worthwhile that makes their living from the guitar in some way has never even heard of him.

Good luck!

You make a good point and I guess I was more forgiving in him not having heard of Joe but when he said he'd never heard of Steve Clark, Vince Gill, Rory Gallagher, Richie Sambora or Dave Mustaine I started to wonder if the guy had been living under a rock.

There is a teacher down the street from where I work who lists on his website his influences which seem to be varied and in line with mine.  I haven't heard from him yet but hope to soon.

Regardless, I'm still looking around for a teacher so we'll see what happens. I would at least like to give it a shot and if it turns out playing the guitar is not my thing I'm fine with that.  It won't change my love for the instrument I'll just watch other people play and drool over their guitars.  smile

1/15/16 Burlington, VT

8 (edited by ZeyerGTR 2014-07-05 15:12:33)

A good teacher should listen and (help you) figure out what you want, and then find a plan to help you get there.  They should be able to give you practical, understandable advice for the level you're at.  They should be able to answer your questions in a way that makes sense to you.  Most importantly, you should enjoy your lessons and look forward to going!  The teacher should be inspiring to you.

+1 to Hogsniper's advice.

He asked me who my favorite guitar players are and he'd only heard of one of them

So, besides Joe, who else was on your list?  I think this is a valid - though not necessarily critical - concern.  If he's a good teacher, then you can get the fundamentals from him and branch out into specific interests later with or without him.  He might just be into other kind of music (jazz, metal?) and doesn't keep up with players in other genres, even if he's good enough to be able to teach them.  On the other hand, if he's too narrow minded when it comes to music, he might not be able to get you where you want to go because he won't understand what you want him to teach.

9 (edited by Ian916 2014-07-05 17:08:25)

funny how different people judge others, - I say this not as a personal criticism but not sure I would pay too much attention to them having the same taste in music as you, - and essentially that is what it comes down to, - if that teacher would have asked you about a number of (say) jazz guitarists and bands would they have judged you as having lived under a stone? - Maybe, maybe not. I would look at it as if the teacher had a different taste in music to you, perhaps he can teach you something that you don’t already know? But as others have said it does male life easier if you share an understanding of the same music as the tunes are what at first help drive you to work at things.

- 8 plus years ago I went looking for a guitar teacher for my son, and the first guy I found has been teaching him ever since. - What I looked for was the way that the two of them interacted, - or more to the point how my son reacted to being taught. I also asked him about his views on grades, structure etc. Taste in music; - my sons main teacher is a jazz guitarist and session musician, however he has an understanding of what type of music kids like so he has made the effort to teach him Green day/RHCP etc but now is teaching him to improvise. It was only a few years on when in conversations that I learned that he has played with Eric Johnson and played on the Royal Albert Hall stage. Over the years they have developed a good working relationship, (and this is the key IMO) - to the point where a couple of years ago he was very honest in being constructively critical telling me son that he had got to the point where he could play almost anything by watching a lesson on YOuTube, but if he wanted to go further and learn things the right way he needed to focus on more detail and learn different styles. If he did n’t it was fine, but he would not be teaching him any longer. - This proved to me that he was not just doing it for the money, but was in it for the right reason.

- good luck.

My YouTube channel with plenty of my Joe's videos dating from 2009 inc his first Hammersmith Odeon ones:
http://www.youtube.com/ian916fun

Ian916 wrote:

funny how different people judge others, - I say this not as a personal criticism but not sure I would pay too much attention to them having the same taste in music as you, - and essentially that is what it comes down to, - if that teacher would have asked you about a number of (say) jazz guitarists and bands would they have judged you as having lived under a stone? - Maybe, maybe not. I would look at it as if the teacher had a different taste in music to you, perhaps he can teach you something that you don’t already know? But as others have said it does male life easier if you share an understanding of the same music as the tunes are what at first help drive you to work at things. - good luck.

In my mind it just puzzled me that a guy who has been teaching guitar for 35 years wouldn't have heard of the guitarists I listed at least once from his other students. 

Him not knowing my favorites wasn't the deal breaker for me.  It was a number of other things that didn't seem to fit for what I was looking for as a beginner.  As I said, I'm still looking but I thought asking others here would help me out a bit.

1/15/16 Burlington, VT

The motivation must come from within. A teacher who you are comfortable with is important, but the motivation to take on the challenge is all on you. Be forewarned, learning guitar is hard, it can be painful at times, and its not much fun early on. You need to commit yourself to giving it your best effort, and be willing to get through the early struggles in order to reap the benefits long term. Good luck.

Play some cards & drink black coffee,
How I’d love to see you smile....
JBLP Std Goldtop
2015 R9 LP

12 (edited by Rocket 2014-07-06 15:09:54)

With a topic category called Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear@ https://forum.jbonamassa.com/viewforum.php?id=9, this should be located there. 

Ability, access, encouragement, and more showing without just showing off.  If their ego is even bigger than their excessively large fee, you are being taken.  The best and the greats both share and care, and give more than take.

There actually is a plethora of "Free" everything in a world advertising phony free stuff.  This includes guitar lessons.  However, regardless of cost, monetarily or time specific, if you are satisfied with the results you obtain, you have not only l neutral neutral ked well, you have found the "wishing" (you could learn how to play guitar) well. big_smile

Rock ON & Keep the Faith Strung UP not OUT,
Rocket

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

Rocket wrote:

With a topic category called Joe's Guitars, Amps and Gear@ https://forum.jbonamassa.com/viewforum.php?id=9, this should be located there.

What in the world does this topic have to do with Joe's Guitars, Amps or Gear?

14 (edited by Rocket 2014-07-06 16:48:54)

Hogsniper wrote:
Rocket wrote:

What in the world does this topic have to do with Joe's Guitars, Amps or Gear?

hmm Uhm...it's about guitars??? neutral

It's labeled "Joe's" but is everyone and occasionally he himself discussing everything guitar-mostly gear overall, but also tone, tabs, lessons, how-to's, tips & tricks...etc.  You'll unquestionably receive more useful feedback and responses pertinent to this sort of topic question.  Responses here are/were great, but it might actually live on longer in it's proper place.  And a lot of people there never look at this category...

¡¿Tenemos un entendimiento?! ¡¡¡Está todo bien, Amigo!!! wink big_smile

Rock ON & Keep the Faith,
Rocket

ps-no offenses intended, no offense taken smile

"He still doesn't charge for mistakes! wink"
http://jbonamassa.com/tour-dates/
"Everybody wants ta get inta the act!"
“Now, this isn’t your ordinary party crowd, here.  I mean, there are professionals in here.”

hmm Rocket patrol.. I better look out.
Guess if this needed to be in another topic (other than Joe's Gear) would be the "Other Artists" section.. since she wants to become another artist (like us all) but I digress..
I find there are 2 teachers in music stores.
Those that are there to make a regular living in just teaching their chosen instrument.
and
Those filling in time looking for the next gig.

Those looking for the next gig are probably not the best teachers, since they'll drop you for the gig and are really more interested in 'look at how good I can play' than teaching you.

try and find a teacher that consistently is there and helps your progress.
Don't sweat over "he doesn't know X guitarist"
Most wouldn't be able to tell you who played in The Nine Inch Monkey Band.

The best learn at home DVD set is the Learn and Master Guitar by Steve Krenz.
It's well worth the money and he is on his forum all the time helping, runs a live lesson (free) on his UTube Channel most Tuesday's and has just added a new Skype Live Lesson ($$) to help those over come some obstacles that they wouldn't pickup being at home

This course helps you learn to play, read music (something Joe claims not able to do), and theory
I don't work for them but it’s a good course
Get over the "master" part in the title of the course,, as they said it was just a catchy name they picked,,, the master part is up to you.. but I bet Joe doesn't even look at himself as a master yet…

Grab your Picks…

---------------

(If only I had 1% of Joe's guitar talent)

in looking for guitar teachers, I'd say don't stick with one. Have one teach you the basics, and once you get comfortable, switch it up.

I guess what I mean by that is, see a guitar teacher and take lessons for a month from him/her. THEN find a different guitar teacher and take a month's worth of lessons from them.

From experience, I took lessons from the same teacher for 6 years - and when I had to take lessons from someone else, I broke out of a rut.

Good guitar players get perspective from multiple players. Dedicating yourself to only one teacher is extremely limiting in my humble opinoin. I really really liked my guitar teacher, and developed allegiance to him... but that was going about it the wrong way. I'm still great friends with my teacher I had in 1994. Just understand that everyone picks up licks and tricks from all sorts of people, and guitar lessons - as I learned - should be no different.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

NPB_EST.1979 wrote:

in looking for guitar teachers, I'd say don't stick with one. Have one teach you the basics, and once you get comfortable, switch it up.

I guess what I mean by that is, see a guitar teacher and take lessons for a month from him/her. THEN find a different guitar teacher and take a month's worth of lessons from them.

From experience, I took lessons from the same teacher for 6 years - and when I had to take lessons from someone else, I broke out of a rut.

Good guitar players get perspective from multiple players. Dedicating yourself to only one teacher is extremely limiting in my humble opinoin. I really really liked my guitar teacher, and developed allegiance to him... but that was going about it the wrong way. I'm still great friends with my teacher I had in 1994. Just understand that everyone picks up licks and tricks from all sorts of people, and guitar lessons - as I learned - should be no different.

I am curious if you think that's true for a beginner?  I hadn't really thought about it that way before. When I was taking lessons I never lived anywhere long enough for it to be an issue but it has logic to it.  For a beginner I am wondering if continuity and finding someone you can work with might be more important.  Thanks Paul

Yes. Get the basics down. Then do some exploring.
If you're a beginner, the next teacher might not know where you are in learning. Once you have the basics down you can start learning styles from other people.

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool